PDA

View Full Version : Brushy on it's last leg???

Andy B
16-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Help me out if you can, I have a Kawasaki eg35 brushcutter. It's been getting heaps of use lately doing clean ups, and it hasn't had a break because my other brushcutter/snipper is out of order.

It's been going gun ho, until the other day I checked and cleaned out the air intake. The next day, it took about 5mins to start. Tonight it would not start at all. It sounds alright but just won't idle. I checked the plug and it was wet, oily??? gave that a good dry off but still wouldn't start. I thought it might of been the oil as I have just started a new bottle that had been sitting around for a while but everything else is working fine with new oil.

I'm not the most mechanically minded fella so I'm going to get a pro to have a look at it tomorrow. Can anyone suggest any shops on the east side of Melbourne who would be a chance to have a look at it for me tomorrow or friday?? I've booked 2 clean ups and 2 normal jobs so far for Saturday so I'll have to sort something out by then.

:i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:

Andy B
16-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Just decided I'd do the rounds of the Mower Power stores to see if any of them can fit me in. Not sure if they service on site?????

Bluey
16-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Just decided I'd do the rounds of the Mower Power stores to see if any of them can fit me in. Not sure if they service on site?????

Have you checked your filter.

Andy B
16-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Have you checked your filter.

I checked the air filter...

Andy B
16-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Fuel seems to be coming through alright, maybe I flooded it??

redbackmowing
16-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Fuel seems to be coming through alright, maybe I flooded it??

hi andy. as mentioned in your other post sometimes equipment won't start in 40+ heat. give it a whirl tomorrow.

cheers
rbm

Andy B
16-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that, didn't think about it being temperaturemental. :)

I'll give it a berl in the morning before I take it anywhere.

I've got a blister the size of a 5c coin on my middle finger from trying to start it tonight. I would of sworn and kicked it if the client weren't just inside the unit.

ian
16-12-2009, 10:20 PM
i had some trouble with my shindaiwa t260 starting after it had got hot also the honda blower once the started to run properly they were ok but really didn't want to start
also if you see mike at mt waverley mower power on wadham rd tell him your a contractor and he maybe able to help

Andy B
16-12-2009, 10:42 PM
i had some trouble with my shindaiwa t260 starting after it had got hot also the honda blower once the started to run properly they were ok but really didn't want to start
also if you see mike at mt waverley mower power on wadham rd tell him your a contractor and he maybe able to help

Thanks Ian, he's going to be first port of call. He has got a tidy little shop, I wasn't sure if they service on site.

geoff1969
16-12-2009, 10:49 PM
hi andy b
could just be heat related even my stihl brushcutter was a b****rd today never had a problem with it before , but {all power in stud road bayswater } about 500 meter up stud road from mountain hwy intersection is good , = about 10 minute drive from mt waverly shopping centre , hes also very help full when ive had any problems he tells me , go do this ,try this ,try that if still not working or if ya desperate bring it in ...
cheers

Andy B
16-12-2009, 11:04 PM
hi andy b
could just be heat related even my stihl brushcutter was a b****rd today never had a problem with it before , but {all power in stud road bayswater } about 500 meter up stud road from mountain hwy intersection is good , = about 10 minute drive from mt waverly shopping centre , hes also very help full when ive had any problems he tells me , go do this ,try this ,try that if still not working or if ya desperate bring it in ...
cheers

Sounds like the kinda shop I'm going to need, gives an education as well as service.

Stripes
17-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Try a new plug and adjust the idle screw. Mine would not start when we had 40 degrees a few weeks ago. May have the same problem today as its going to reach 40 again. Too busy to stop working too! :(

simo
17-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Just an idea if all above fails check for carbon build up in the exhaust ( take the exhaust off and carefully clear out the exhaust port with a screw driver ) good luck..

Bluey
17-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Just an idea if all above fails check for carbon build up in the exhaust ( take the exhaust off and carefully clear out the exhaust port with a screw driver ) good luck..

I had a similar problem with my stihl blower. It has an anti spark device in the exhaust. My mower bloke showed me how to take it out and clean it. You just unscrew the screw on the front of the exhaust and take out the assembly. Heat the filter in a blow torch and blow the screen clear with compressed air. I didn't have a clue what was wrong with it. Thought it had a fuel blockage when all it was was this little screen clogged up with carbon. Worked like a dream afterwards

Neil&family
17-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Or just rip the spark arrester out and feel the power, :laughing: :laughing:

ian
17-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks Ian, he's going to be first port of call. He has got a tidy little shop, I wasn't sure if they service on site.
his old shop is 2 doors down and is now used as the workshop hope he can help

glassngrass
17-12-2009, 09:09 AM
... sometimes equipment won't start in 40+ heat...

Air cooled machinery just isn't designed to be operated on 40 degree days. We all do it anyway, and run the risk of 'cooking' our machines.
I use engine oil additives to assist reduce friction generated heat.
ie. Neways make a great product - ROIL. Slick 50 is good, too. Petrotech 2000, designed by same chemist that made Slick 50 is great also.
There are some good fuel additives for your 2-strokes.

Andy B
17-12-2009, 02:42 PM
his old shop is 2 doors down and is now used as the workshop hope he can help

Got it in there, all being well pick it up tomorrow. He's got some great gear in the shop for when I can afford upgrades.

63impala
17-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I will tell you How to clean carbon in your muffler poor wd45 or petrol in a container and let the muffler sok take it out the light it on fire it should burn for 5 to ten minets or you can put it on a fire,because carbon is just oil crap so it burns and then run the air commpresser through it and all good did it the other day with my stihl. Make sure your muffler is not Aloy...And be carfull with the screw the have a tenasy of snapping...

63impala
17-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Free advice not like some of the guys on here I can turn up the revs on my honda and make it go faster{how} they eather talking crap or just dont wont to teach others the screct..

Bluey
17-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Free advice not like some of the guys on here I can turn up the revs on my honda and make it go faster{how} they eather talking crap or just dont wont to teach others the screct..

My mower bloke did mine for me when I put it in for a service with him. I do basic services but get him to do a full one every couple of months. He was the one who told me how to get more out of your honda. I figure it is money well spent on him and he gives me the odd freebie every now and then and really good advice

BLACK BEAR
17-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Air cooled machinery just isn't designed to be operated on 40 degree days. We all do it anyway, and run the risk of 'cooking' our machines.
I use engine oil additives to assist reduce friction generated heat.
ie. Neways make a great product - ROIL. Slick 50 is good, too. Petrotech 2000, designed by same chemist that made Slick 50 is great also.
There are some good fuel additives for your 2-strokes.
I can say "ROIL" is very good but you dont need to go overboard with it!

redbackmowing
17-12-2009, 06:05 PM

hi 63impala

does increasing the revs on the honda reduce the life of the motor??

cheers
rbm

63impala
17-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I have had them hire for 2 years know have had no problem and it goes faster to, dont know how I did it there are 3 Idle screws turned some of them and she revs higher and faster,But have not had a problem in two years...Engine is still virgin.....

63impala
17-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Iam doing a you tube video on my tools I will show you how she sounds...

Fred's mowing
17-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Andy,
if your deperate for gear on the W/end let me know & u can borrow some of mine.
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
18-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Andy,
if your deperate for gear on the W/end let me know & u can borrow some of mine.
Cheers Dean.

Hey Thanks for that, will see how I go this afternoon.

Redeye
18-12-2009, 01:32 PM
My Kawa was a b*****d to start a few weeks ago. It was a piece of rubber in the primer bulb that had perished. Have a look, its a small round orange/red part visible inside the primer that acts like a one-way valve thingy (can't remember its name).Put a new one in and its running like new again.
I've never had to clean the spark arrestor in my Kawa and its done a LOT of work, seems to run nice & clean.

63impala
18-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Thats why I love the stihl fs 85 never had it in the shope in 5 years its my back up know but I do all the serviceing my self its easy strip down the carby clean it all good...

Andy B
18-12-2009, 02:03 PM
My Kawa was a b*****d to start a few weeks ago. It was a piece of rubber in the primer bulb that had perished. Have a look, its a small round orange/red part visible inside the primer that acts like a one-way valve thingy (can't remember its name).Put a new one in and its running like new again.
I've never had to clean the spark arrestor in my Kawa and its done a LOT of work, seems to run nice & clean.

The shop rang me just before, it needed a new Diaphragm in the carby not sure if it leads into that bulb??? Hopefully it arrives this afternoon.

And as luck would have it, the part for my other brushy arrived this afternoon, so things are looking up! Should have one them working for tomorrow!

Andy B
18-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone stress is over, pick up kawasaki in the morning, and got other one working earlier tonight. And got an extra job for Sunday, which made me laugh cause when I went to quote it, there was a bent shaft GMC like my old one tied up in some grass in the back yard. Gotta love it, guy had obviously got the ***** and dropped it there to die.