PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki help needed!!

Redeye
28-12-2009, 12:12 PM
My kawa KBL27 brushie isn't doing its thing.
Problem : engine is running perfectly, but making a high pitched squeal and the head isn't turning. I've just pulled it apart, cleaned it then inspected what I can. It would seem to me to be the clutch - can you put new shoes on the clutch? I can't think of anything else but I'm no mechanic. I really need this going, its my main brushie.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stripes
28-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Sounds like the gearbox is gone. My pole hedger was doing the same thing and they said it is the gearbox. I have to get the receipt off my accountant to get it fixed under warranty. The only other thing it could be is the head isnt attached to the shaft properly.

Redeye
28-12-2009, 02:38 PM
No, its not the gearbox, the noise is coming from the clutch area. I'm pretty sure the clutch would be the culprit,want to know if its repairable or needs to be replaced. I've studied the blow-up schematic diagram and can't see what else it could be; there's not many moving parts in these things :i dunno:

DavidS
28-12-2009, 04:15 PM
If it is anything like my Honda and Stihl, yes you can replace the shoes, it is easier if you get someone else to do it, you need a puller to remove the hub off the shaft so you replace the shoes.

Redeye
29-12-2009, 05:47 PM
All fixed - it was a stripped spline on the head end of the drive-shaft. Turned it around & its working but obviously needs to be replaced as soon as possible, Bruce from Outdoorking's forum picked it straight away. I shudder to think what this is gunna cost.

Andy B
29-12-2009, 09:44 PM
All fixed - it was a stripped spline on the head end of the drive-shaft. Turned it around & its working but obviously needs to be replaced as soon as possible, Bruce from Outdoorking's forum picked it straight away. I shudder to think what this is gunna cost.

Cheaper than a whole new one of the same quality. :)

simo
30-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I stripped mine about 3 yrs ago on a kawa it was approx $200 repaired by the dealer..It has since stripped again this time it`s going in the spare parts bin...

greasemonkey
03-01-2010, 06:57 AM
They would probably be pricey for a new inner shaft, but a lot of dealers probably have second hand in good nick.