PDA

View Full Version : How to quote for laying lawns. Lawn Guide

lenny
05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi to everyone. I wanted to ask all the lawnies out there how they go about pricing to lay a new lawn. Do you quote it per metre squared, or do it by the hour, or just an overall quote for the whole job, including turf, soil, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Redeye
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I worked on a turf farm in the mid '80s & laid a LOT of turf, can't remember how we quoted though. Don't do a great deal these days. Things to consider, theres a lot of prep work before you lay - you want bare soil to work with, so any pre existing turf needs to be removed/sprayed.Soil must be properly leveled, and fairly well compacted. You can lay a layer of fine soil or sand to lay on to help with a level base.
Lay your outside borders first, then fill in,keeping it butted up well.
It must be watered daily for 2 weeks - if using a sprinkler, put a bucket nearby and water 'til there's an inch in the bucket.
Probably easiest to go with an hourly rate ($30 p/hr?)if you have to do all the prep work yourself, hope this helps :)

Stripes
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I workout the area and charge per metre depending on the turf they want. Add extra if its difficult access and also factor in if they need more soil brought in. For a straight forward lawn that requires poisoning a couple of times, rotary hoe, remover debris and level off ready for the new turf, I would charge around $20 per metre for couch/kikuyu, and around $25 for Buffalo. If its a really small area you should add in a little more to cover the cost of hiring a hoe, or if its a really large area you could consider a bobcat to clear it all.

Don't forget to ask about drip irrigation underneath it if it is allowed in your area. Add another $15-20 per metre.

DavidS
05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I am with Stripes on quoting laying turf, I also have a dig around to find out what sort of soil is underneath, if its all clay and rock then I need to up the dollars as I will need to bring in more soil. Also don't forget the starter fertiliser with water crystals, needs to be spread before laying.
I also ask the owners if they are going to water the turf every morning in the first week and every second morning in the second week for at least 1/2 hour per sprinkler move, if I have to do it then I add $60 minimum for every day I have to water dependant on size of lawn and sprinkler throw. eg if I have to move the sprinkler 3 times then I charge $90.
I include this service in the quote.
I have a water pressure test unit and use my own sprinkler as I know how much area it will cover at what ever the water pressure is at the site. If I have to water the turf I do it early in the morning so it does not stuff up the rest of the day for me.
If the owner says they will water the turf I have a little clause inserted into my invoice, stating that I am not responsible if the turf dies from lack of water, I also give them a sheet with the watering requirements. This is the time to lay a irrigation quote on them as Stripes has suggested, in the long run it works out a lot cheaper for them.

lenny
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. i have one lawn to do which is only small 20m2, really good access and need to bring about 2inches of soil. Site already prepared owner removed some old pavers.

Another one is about 50m2 were i'll have to remove some weeds, but soil is really good and good access. Both properties want one of the buffalo varities.

Fred's mowing
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
David, sell them an irrigation system, mentioning that now is the time to do it, rather than when the turf is layed ;) .
Cheers Dean.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah sell them an irrigation system now nothing worse than digging through newly laid turf putting in a system.

Stripes
06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
To sell the irrigation side of it, explain to them how it saves water by going directly beneath the soil so the roots go down deep to get the water which makes it much more drought tolerant. They never have to water it by hand after it has been down for a week or so. It really works great.