PDA

View Full Version : over heating two bangers

GreenHaven
23-01-2010, 04:01 PM
hey yall, whats the specific cause to two strokes playing up when they get hot(hard stating ,erratic operation) ? i was thinking metal expanding and air leaking in ? it was 42 the other day and my shindy whipper started having sads big time i could start it but would die when givin a bit of throtttle worked ok when i put it under a shady tree for a while and let it cool a bit. when i opened the fuel cap while it was cooling down there was air being blown out the fuel filter making it look like the fuel was boiling which was a worry till i relised what it was not sure why this happened either .
thanks everybody

ian
23-01-2010, 05:17 PM
this is about the easiest explanation i have found vapour lock (http:////en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock)

GreenHaven
23-01-2010, 05:44 PM
link didnt work mate, i know what vapour lock is i thought thats what it was when i opened the fuel tank and saw the bubbles coming from the fuel filter like a air stone in a fish tank

63impala
23-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Thats why stihl is the way to go......Kev's Mowing sponserd by stihl i like that I wish.....

ian
23-01-2010, 06:46 PM
link didnt work mate, i know what vapour lock is i thought thats what it was when i opened the fuel tank and saw the bubbles coming from the fuel filter like a air stone in a fish tank
don't know why it's not working for you try this vapor lock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock)

MOWON
24-01-2010, 02:12 PM
hey yall, whats the specific cause to two strokes playing up when they get hot(hard stating ,erratic operation) ? i was thinking metal expanding and air leaking in ? it was 42 the other day and my shindy whipper started having sads big time i could start it but would die when givin a bit of throtttle worked ok when i put it under a shady tree for a while and let it cool a bit. when i opened the fuel cap while it was cooling down there was air being blown out the fuel filter making it look like the fuel was boiling which was a worry till i relised what it was not sure why this happened either .
thanks everybody

Hi GreenHaven,
I also have this trouble in summer.
I agree with Ian, this is usually vapour lock.
Stihl trimmers have adjustments which can help a bit but trimmers like Dolmar, Tanaka ?? and a lot of the new ones have no mixture screws.
Only thing I can suggest to help you is do the same as me.
Have 2 trimmers on your truck and interchange.
I have found when my 2/S trimmers when running hot, seem to lose their power.
The worst thing for lack of power in a 2/s is a clogged muffler especially the anti spark arrestor.
If your trimmer works fine in cooler months this might be the problem. :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:
I have 3 trimmers and this makes our job much easier
:wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Scooby Steve
24-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi GreenHaven,
I also have this trouble in summer.
I agree with Ian, this is usually vapour lock.
Stihl trimmers have adjustments which can help a bit but trimmers like Dolmar, Tanaka ?? and a lot of the new ones have no mixture screws.
Only thing I can suggest to help you is do the same as me.
Have 2 trimmers on your truck and interchange.
I have found when my 2/S trimmers when running hot, seem to lose their power.
The worst thing for lack of power in a 2/s is a clogged muffler especially the anti spark arrestor.
If your trimmer works fine in cooler months this might be the problem. :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:
I have 3 trimmers and this makes our job much easier
:wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Don't want to stray the post off course but unless your in a fire prone area the first thing i would do (if it wasn't illegal ;) ) if i were to buy a machine is take the spark arrestor out. Had a stihl 85 blower thats was gutless, spark arrestor may or may not have been pulled out and amazing the thing has got its mojo back.

Fred's mowing
24-01-2010, 07:41 PM
If ya gunna pull the spark arrestor out, make sure you also clean out the exhaust port. Sounds more like vapour lock to me though.
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
24-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Link worked for me, thank you, good education.

Redeye
24-01-2010, 08:01 PM
My money is on vapour lock -classic problem with older victa's, stop them & they don't like to start again

Andy B
24-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Who flicks the off switch every time they have to let out more line on their brushy with an alloy head like your meant to??? I do... :rolleyes:

GreenHaven
25-01-2010, 04:25 PM
ah thank you the second link worked for me. I oringially thought vapour lock was the fuel vent line becoming blocked and the fuel not being able to flow from the vacuum but that must be called something else. I also think that when i opened the fuel cap the whipper was on its side and the carb was on the top of the cylinder mayby the hot air was being forced through the fuel lines out the filter to make the air stone bubbles ..mayby but the old shindy still powers on ill just be sure to put it in the shade and myself for that matter when it gets to hot Thanks

ian
25-01-2010, 06:03 PM
i also read either here or another forum that on really hot day's one of the guys used to cover the engine with a damp towel between jobs

geoff
25-01-2010, 08:39 PM
find running the tap water over the carby does it fine ...as long as you apply the wd on maintenance days ..and admin what happened to spell check not working here

geoff1969
26-01-2010, 06:26 PM
vapour lock is a bastard seems to effect some machines more than others :i dunno: hedge trimmer , chainsaw , brush cutter dont have no problems with but the blower drives me nuts the best solution ive found when when mixing my 2stroke in 5 litre can is add a cap full of wyns fuel sytem cleaner seems to stabilise the fuel and keeps them clean and crisp at the same time ..

Andy B
26-01-2010, 09:04 PM
vapour lock is a bastard seems to effect some machines more than others :i dunno: hedge trimmer , chainsaw , brush cutter dont have no problems with but the blower drives me nuts the best solution ive found when when mixing my 2stroke in 5 litre can is add a cap full of wyns fuel sytem cleaner seems to stabilise the fuel and keeps them clean and crisp at the same time ..

Not the injector cleaner the fuel treatment one???

geoff1969
26-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Not the injector cleaner the fuel treatment one???

hi andy
fuel sytem cleaner one is what i use helps prevent varnish build up and keeps the fuel system clean also helps prevent carbon build up in engine { sort of like the old red x petrol treatment } ... you can use the injector cleaner one as well believe there based the same , shop recommend me to and father in law 20 years in tree felling and loging would never mix his fuels with out it ...

Sandgroper
26-01-2010, 09:59 PM
i also read either here or another forum that on really hot day's one of the guys used to cover the engine with a damp towel between jobs

Thats the best way to go on the really hot days , starts up first time otherwise its pull ,pull ,pull trying to start the beggars :aus-flag:

GreenHaven
27-01-2010, 12:09 AM
i think ill go with the damp towel in between jobs if ive got a hot day cranking on or mayby it just a sigh to sit and have a breather

ian
27-01-2010, 07:27 PM
i really prefer the if it's to hot for the machinery it's to hot to work method myself :laughing:

MOWON
28-01-2010, 03:09 PM
i really prefer the if it's to hot for the machinery it's to hot to work method myself :laughing:

I have noticed here no one uses two trimmers - solves heat problems in summer.

Wish there was two of me
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Damp towel method ( especially the wifes favourite pink one) works too.
Cheers Mike

Andy B
28-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I have noticed here no one uses two trimmers - solves heat problems in summer.

Wish there was two of me
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Damp towel method ( especially the wifes favourite pink one) works too.
Cheers Mike

I use two, not at once of course but last time I had issues both were down at once and I had to call my wife to bring the 5 year old bent shaft GMC. Have back ups or get used to cutting it with clippers! :laughing:

Redeye
28-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I always carry two brushies - just in case

geoff
28-01-2010, 09:01 PM
two blowers and two mowers as well....

ian
28-01-2010, 10:00 PM
i always have a honda blower and the echo backpack ,2 mowers and i have the trimmer attachment for the multi tool as a back up for the trimmer and the hedge and pole saw attachments are handy as backups for the hedge trimmer and chainsaw

Arfa Brayne
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Seems to be a problem specifically crippling any trimmer that runs a recent Walbro carby. After 12 years of nothing but Tanaka I dumped them and went to Husquvarna after the last 5 Tanakas proved completely useless on a hot day. You shouldn't have to treat work gear like a temperamental child, or have to run it under a tap between lawns to get it started.
Huskys run a different make of carby (starts with a Z.......) Haven't had a problem since - even on the hottest day with the trimmer in full sun in the back of the truck.
Another tip for those persevering with the Walbro crap is to never lie them on thier side when hot as the heat from the motor rises into the carby and it's vapour lock paradise.
Never had the problem with the early Tanakas (half shaft) or the Tanaka hedgers. Damn shame - they are unbeatable otherwise, just useless because of vapour lock.