PDA

View Full Version : Passion fruit

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Does any body know anything about passion fruit I have planted 2 of them i got old gates from the dump and set them up so the passion fruit can grow up on them. One of my passion fruit has a yellow lwaf on it but the rest of it seems to be growing ok. I mainly want to know when and with what to fertilize and spray. Also does any one know how long till i get fruit.

geoff
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
use a cow liver and bury it next to the plant ..trust me it works..my great grand mum my grand ma and mum always used this and now we do..now my daughter has done the same ..geez what a family tradition :wave-hi:

Bluey
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
use a cow liver and bury it next to the plant ..trust me it works..my great grand mum my grand ma and mum always used this and now we do..now my daughter has done the same ..geez what a family tradition :wave-hi:

Yep and my dad taught me that too. Also should be facing north.

WAW
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Our Nana did swear by baby poos (minus baby) buried of course, for passion fruit. Fruit set has not been good in Melbourne for the last season. Notabily, one clients vine on North facing fence has had good irrigation & fertilising, established vine, good graft, so must be something else. A few flowers but no fruit developement. How did anyone else go? Cheers, Nik

Bgs
11-02-2010, 07:38 PM
How long are you guys getting fruit from your vines ?, I have one that's been in for 5 years first two years more fruit than we could eat then nothing for the last three years spectacular flower but that's it.

DavidS
11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Check to see if you have lots of bees around if not you need to hand pollinate. We did not have a lot bees last year but this year is good.
Get a cotton bud and a flower from the vine, wipe the cotton bud over the stamen of the flower in the hand, then gentle wipe cotton bud over stamen of flower on vine, continue wiping flower in hand and then flower on vine. If you have heaps of flowers and no bees then leave flower on vine and just wipe each flower then go back to the one before. Fruit set should happen soon there after, get a lot more fruit this way. Passionfruit are usually good for about 5 to 6 years, dig them out and plant again ( WARNING do not leave old passionfruit in ground as rootstock takes over and then you have a problem getting rid of it)