PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Bluey
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I quoted two aged care facilities today both owned by the same group. They have had a lawnie for about three years who has slackened off to the point they are seeking quotes from other with a view of getting rid of him.

Their major issue is the fact that he has allowed the edges of the lawn to recede back from the pathways around the facilities so that the cement haunching is exposed. This has caused a deep gap between the edge of the lawn and the path and the residents are falling over or getting their walking frames and wheelchairs stuck in them. Some are 150mm wide in spots and about 100mm deep. They really do look bad. They have been caused by vertical edging in the couch.

The lawns are watered regularly by sub surface irrigation and mowed fortnightly year round so it is a good earn if I win it. Plus they are within a couple of klm of each other so it is a days work to do both. They want them to look really smicko as they are in a very affluent area and the residents are all in the money.

Now my issue is if I get the quote I need to fix these asap. My first thought was to fill the gaps with a sand/loam mixture and reseed these areas and then edge horizontally off the pavers.

Am I on the money? Any other suggestions? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Andy B
09-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah go for it Bluey, the sooner it's fixed the sooner it's a safe place to live!

Stripes
09-02-2010, 05:42 PM
If it is couch, I wouldn't bother seeding. The runners will grow over in no time. Just fill in the cracks with some good topdressing and it will be sorted within about a month with the irrigation.

Do the edging as you said on the 45 degree angle rather than the groove and you should be sweet.

geoff
09-02-2010, 05:47 PM
agree just top soil..bluey mate will you use a blade edging to get that nice cut..atom edger maybe ???

DavidS
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Bluey

Other option is if they are that wide and deep, measure the length and work how much turf you would need to returf. Turf slabs are 300mm wide, cut these in half and build the edges up to 40mm below edges and lay the turf. Before you lay the turf get some Sir Launcher for Sir Walter turf, it has slow relese fertiliser and water crystals, this will help establish the turf. This is a bit more time consuming and more expensive but a quicker fix all round. If you have a pair of long handled edging shears then the job is so much easier, you just cut the pieces to fit the gaps.

Bluey
09-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Bluey

Other option is if they are that wide and deep, measure the length and work how much turf you would need to returf. Turf slabs are 300mm wide, cut these in half and build the edges up to 40mm below edges and lay the turf. Before you lay the turf get some Sir Launcher for Sir Walter turf, it has slow relese fertiliser and water crystals, this will help establish the turf. This is a bit more time consuming and more expensive but a quicker fix all round. If you have a pair of long handled edging shears then the job is so much easier, you just cut the pieces to fit the gaps.

Thanks David

I had thought of that but depends on if I get the gig or not. I think they will want a quick fix myself.

Thanks everyone else too. Yes Geoff I could use a blade edger. I have the edging attachment for my Kombi tool. I had thought about this but sometimes it is good to throw it over to a the group to get the best result. Just have to win the quote now. :cool:

Redeye
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Might be able to seed with rye grass for a quick growing fix, hold your soil in place 'til the couch should soon take over.

GreenHaven
09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
i had a job like this one of the residants at the units wanted it that way and it was a saftey issue but he was just stubborn and ignorant. i'd just fill in the gap with a top soil mix nothing fancy it will grow into it pretty fast this time of year as long as its keeped irragated