PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Beer Day April 2010.

Andy B
16-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

I like to mean what I say and say what I mean so for all the times I've said "We'll have to get together for a beer some day" and not done anything about it my integrity has suffered.

So how about those interested commit to a session at one of the Belgium Beer Gardens or Beer Deluxe in Melbourne CBD or if anyone has a better suggestion speak up or forever hold your peace.

The meeting would be in the interest of fellowship and be aligned with our motto of "Professionals Unite".

Who's keen, where do you want to go, and what date?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Andy I'm up for it but I dont know about the city, we would be running the risk of getting thrown out of somewhere, getting stabbed, arrested or all three :rolleyes: Off the top of my head a lot of indies on here seem to be from the eastern suburbs, maybe somewhere like the village green hotel would be good. Or better still we organize a barbeque on a Sunday at a park somewhere and make it an indy day with families invited aswell. :)

Andy B
16-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah that sounds good, I hate getting stabbed :laughing:

A Sunday sounds good too.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Hopefully there will be some more interest on here by other members in the next day or so Andy. I think its a bloody good idea.
Would be great to get together with a heap of other guys and girls (hey Mrs HMS) in the industry and chew the fat.

Wattle GC
17-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Over a year ago Bluey had a great idea for all of us to all head to marysville to do a weekend working bee / charity drive catch up with each other and put us on the map..This never got off the ground "UNFORTUNATLY.. Why dont we seriously do something so all people in all states can be involved..Some admin input would be great about how we can do something .

So over to you guys...... ideas anyone on what we can do or how we all can get together ?????

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a great idea Andy.

I am involved in another (non-industry) site and we organised a national meet up in Melbourne one year...had people from all over the country.

The other way we'd do it was each state arranged a get together in a central location all at exactly the same time (tricky for WA but we got there) and then each state had plenty of laptops available and set up with live Skype sessions with webcams so that we could see and speak with others in the other states. It always works really well.

Wattle GC
17-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Sounds like a great idea Andy.

I am involved in another (non-industry) site and we organised a national meet up in Melbourne one year...had people from all over the country.

The other way we'd do it was each state arranged a get together in a central location all at exactly the same time (tricky for WA but we got there) and then each state had plenty of laptops available and set up with live Skype sessions with webcams so that we could see and speak with others in the other states. It always works really well.

Good idea..Most will travel from interstate but the day can be rotated around states each year to be fair.mabey a long weekend perhaps might be better than a normal weekend..Winter would be better than summer as we all have a bit more time in winter.these are a few things to be worked out.. :i dunno: ideas ideas ideas please ???

Andy B
17-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Lets get one day off the ground. All states are welcome of course. I've sent a pm to admin, await reply, input.

Scooby Steve
17-03-2010, 05:51 PM
How about we all meet at Noosa Heads or somewhere sunny and warm in winter. Admin/ Dean can do a bulk deal with a hotel/conference centre and we can all go up for the weekend?

Tax deductable so why not.

If thats too much for everybody each state can organize there own meet and greet. Or maybe Dean from Indi might put something together (yes Dean i know i'm making you work :) )

Bluey
17-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I think having a national get together is a great idea but getting it organised will take a massive effort and considering our off seasons are not all the same it would be hard to coordinate.

Lets use the old adage "from little things big things grow" Andy's idea is great and if you guys can pull it off for Vic and post the pics and stories back here it might just make the rest of us sit up and take notice. Heck even if it was a local get together it would be a start.

Go for it Andy mate. Pick a spot and say be there or be square (showing my age now). I would do it over here but I swear I am the only Indy here. Never seen another Indy sticker or a post from another Indy from SA. Might have to meet up with Mower Rob for a beer one day.

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Here's a very shabby and hastily cobbled together map of Vic with a rough idea of where the indi's are located (based on the Indi List spreadsheet).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/alyssasmum/VicMap.jpg

There seems to be a huge Eastern Suburbs cluster! :laughing:

I've marked 2 parks that I know have great BBQ facilities and are good for family - Jells Park and Yarra Bend Park. Both are relatively central to most of those marked on the map.

The good thing about Yarra Bend park is it's close to the Eastern Fwy so might be easier for people to get to? :i dunno:

Autumn is a perfect time for BBQ's in Melbourne...good weather..nothing worse than having your get together rained out :Rain:

Anyone know of other suitable parks or venues?

Edited to add...the map isn't very helpful because the site resizes it to a minute size - sorry about that :o

Lawns Plus
17-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Must be the Politicians map of vic,..... doesn't go much outside the Major metro area! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Could you maybe put one up for all of Vic or even Australia? (Geez, where would you stop.)
Better yet, all the indi's get on google and put a marker pin with your location.... :i dunno:
I reckon there must be plenty in country areas, three that I know of down this way.

Fred's mowing
17-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me.
Last year I suggested something very similar but my post was removed, when I asked why ,Adim said it was of little interest :rolleyes: .
I,d love to see it happen :) .
Cheers Dean.

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 08:30 PM
ok I am working on a map but having some technical issues :laughing:

geoff
17-03-2010, 08:32 PM
what a great idea , could be an event on a regular basis..I hear there are other organisation in our feild that do similar in a more formal forum such as meetings,but we have our meeting here where we develop ideas and suggestions .so a social event would be of great benefit..simple bbq to start which may devop into something bigger in the future...be cool to involve the whole community..be nice to tell bluey to get stuffed to his face ;dealers; ;dealers; :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: naa kidding mate , but who knows , good onya Andy maybe something can start from a small gathering..

Andy B
17-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Joanne, you a legend, but I've told you that before. :)

I've driven past Jells Park and it looks good, Yarra Bend is probably looks good too. Anyone have a preference?

Looking at the calender with Easter and Anzac day in April as well, Sunday the 18th looks good. How's that fit?

Lawns Plus
17-03-2010, 08:55 PM
All good Joanne, you do a great Job!
Was just a random comment, it's a great idea.
Often say to other contractors in this area that we must get together and have a beer, never seems to happen but.
Guess we are all too busy?
I would say there must be 100 lawnies in the warrnambool district, only know of 4 that are members.

Fred's mowing
17-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe Braeside park, its huge, its even big enough that indi,s could bring their rigs :i dunno: .
Its also my & Geoff,s backyard so I,d get to meet the old scaliwag & If I became slightly over refreshed(not that I ever would ;) ) homes just a hop, skip & a jump away :D .
Your call Andy, your gig!
Cheers Dean.

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 09:22 PM
OK this turned out to be a little tricky...story of my day today :laughing:

In the end I decided the easiest way to do it was set up a generic gmail account and everyone can use that to edit the map (I figured some people may be a bit uncomfortable sharing their email addresses with me and also it means I don't have to invite each person individually).

Now I am either going to look like a legend (figjam) or a complete goose here if it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Here is the email message:

I've shared a map with you called Indi's Australia:

You can view and edit this map at
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110793629079340677981.000481fc7b69c40a43c06

use this email address [convert to normal email format as I don't want spambots getting a hold of this]... indimembers AT gmail DOT com to sign in to Google and edit the map. Add a placemark for your location and include as much or as little information as you like, from just your indi user name to full contact details. The choice is yours.

I've left the account signed in but if you need the password it is indisunite (case sensitive).

The link should take you to the map, click on the Edit button and use the placemarker icon to add your placemark...the map can be zoomed in and out like any google map.

Gawd I hope it works

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh and Andy...Sunday 18th sounds great to me.

Andy B
17-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe Braeside park, its huge, its even big enough that indi,s could bring their rigs :i dunno: .
Its also my & Geoff,s backyard so I,d get to meet the old scaliwag & If I became slightly over refreshed(not that I ever would ;) ) homes just a hop, skip & a jump away :D .
Your call Andy, your gig!
Cheers Dean.

Will have to consult Sun Tsu for what he would do. :laughing:

General consensus of what is closest or best for the majority works for me. I'll step in if it's a pain in the butt from Mt Waverley.

How about suggestions till midnight Friday then decision of location by Monday? That should give everybody some time for input.

Does the date of the 18th work? And I think we're settled on a BBQ in a park somewhere.

Scooby Steve
17-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Either Jells or Yarra Bend would work well for me. Both have sheltered areas and both are very nice parks. In the past i have had to book the under cover spots in these parks is that still the case?

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Scoob I know that you can't book any more for Yarra Bend..don't know about Jells Park.

Scooby Steve
17-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Scoob I know that you can't book any more for Yarra Bend..don't know about Jells Park.

If we go Yarra Bend we will just have to get there first.

On a side note anyone got a portable BBQ they can bring or can we use the ones at the parks?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Jells park have wood fired barbies. I think its a case of first in best dressed. Its not a bad place though, has a lake and different walking tracks if your up for it.

Also nearly forgot a big kids playground

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Both have BBQ's for public use. Jells has woodfire and electric. They even supply to wood!

Chesterfield farm is at Jells...the kids would love it, animals to pat and feed, hay rides etc...that one I'm pretty sure you have to book and more than likely there would be a cost involved but not 100% sure.

Mrs HMS
17-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I just found the link.....

http://www.chesterfieldfarm.com.au/group-functions.html

But I suppose it depends on whether people want to pay for it or not. I wouldn't mind - my kids love it there but there are plenty of BBQ areas all over the park that are free to use and I don't mind getting there early to reserve a good spot.

ian
17-03-2010, 11:12 PM
jells park is also only 2 minutes from eastlink

holdenhead
17-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I know....we should go somewhere big enough to take our rigs and hold a mowolympics, and a show and shine type display. Events could be the Victa mower throw. (Victa could even sponsor it.) A mowathon where it's the first to push mow an acre (4200 m2), We could play a version of hockey where you have to flick a stone around with your whippy and the goals could be a window and fencing.......no not with swords, it would accually be fencing. ha ha! Or may be just a Sunday bbq in a park sounds good!

Cheers Rick

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I know....we should go somewhere big enough to take our rigs and hold a mowolympics, and a show and shine type display. Events could be the Victa mower throw. (Victa could even sponsor it.) A mowathon where it's the first to push mow an acre (4200 m2), We could play a version of hockey where you have to flick a stone around with your whippy and the goals could be a window and fencing.......no not with swords, it would accually be fencing. ha ha! Or may be just a Sunday bbq in a park sounds good!

Cheers Rick

I can supply 2 victa's if you like.

Come on Indies lets see some real support for this. maybe we could get the godfather ( Dean ) to get involved.

Andy B
18-03-2010, 09:09 PM

Cheers Rick

Mower v's mower, blower v's blower, thrower v's thrower. :)

We'll have to take at least one mower to mow in a cricket pitch.

Wattle GC
19-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Could have a 'ride on" smash up derby..Take the blades off..Hmmm or should we leave em on..?

Andy B
19-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Could have a 'ride on" smash up derby..Take the blades off..Hmmm or should we leave em on..?

I bags having Arfa Brayne in my pit crew or being on his team. Imagine what he could do if set free in a scrap yard before the event.

Bluey
19-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I bags having Arfa Brayne in my pit crew or being on his team. Imagine what he could do if set free in a scrap yard before the event.

I will be in with guys and be the gunner on our rig. No quarter for the opposition when I let fly with my twin 50 cal.

Andy B
21-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Sorry, been a bit distracted, missed Friday cut off for suggestions, but no need to move the goal posts. :)

We've got Jells Park, Yarra Bend Park or Braeside Park so we just have to choose.

Toilets nearby would be good.

I've got a weber q which is easy to bring along if there's no bbq. Probably got a cricket set in the shed as well...somewhere. :rolleyes:

Anyone feel strongly for or against any of them?

Fred's mowing
22-03-2010, 04:36 PM
My real reason for suggesting Braeside was that Indi,s could bring their rigs , this park is truely HUGE. It has nothing to do with location.................. I swear :D .
Cheers Dean.

Scooby Steve
22-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll vote Jells Park.

Mrs HMS
22-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Even though we're closer to Jells and go there a lot, I think Braeside is more central for the majority of people...it is definately huge.

I think the Telford picnic area is the best one there...car park close by (the magpie carpark - makes me feel sick as a carlton supporter every time I park there ;) ), kids playground, electric BBQ's and toilet facilities all close to it.

and it's close enough that Geoff can crawl home :p

Scooby Steve
22-03-2010, 05:40 PM
5 mins from me too but was thinking Jells was the nicer park. Anyway Andy your idea mate i think you should pick.

Mrs HMS
22-03-2010, 05:45 PM
5 mins from me too but was thinking Jells was the nicer park. Anyway Andy your idea mate i think you should pick.

Poor thing - he's probably hasn't got a clue where any of them are being only new to Vic.

But seriously, I don't mind where we go...

I agree Scoob, I think Jells is a nicer park too.

Andy B
22-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Well at least we're down to two. :)

Shall I toss a coin?

Andy B
22-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I didn't have a coin. :o

I tossed a match box car and it landed on it's wheels which was Jells Park. Hope that everyone can be happy with that? and maybe during the day we can plan another day at Braeside.

April 18th Jells Park.

Shall we say mid morning for kick off? Not too early for a little sleep in and not too late to miss a spot (if it gets crowded.)

And at a guess we might be at about 9 Indy's coming?

Andy B
22-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Here's a link about the park??? (Fingers crossed it works and I've got the right park.)

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=57

I've sent a pm to Admin, haven't heard back yet... I was thinking if we got a few numbers a shop might like to donate a lucky door prize.

I just mentioned to my wife that we've picked a spot and a date, her response... "It would want to be mowed." :)

Mrs HMS
23-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Sounds great Andy. Now...who's coming?

Andy B
23-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Me. :) and my wife and offspring. (5 and 1 yr old.)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm in. Not sure about wife and kids yet. Ok all good..wife is coming, but not sure about kids. Teenagers, 13 and 15 who knows. :rolleyes: . I will have to get on Holdenheads case see if he's going to go

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Hey Andy

Good on ya for getting this rolling. Just sent an email to Dean be great if he turned up

Mrs HMS
24-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Timmy and I are in, as well as our rugrats (9 and 7).

Come on you lot...I know there are a heap of indi's near me :wave-hi:

Mrs HMS
24-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Can I suggest The Oaks picnic area at Jells park...entry from Ferntree Gully Road. It has a playground for the kids, electric BBQ's and picnic shelters.

Whilst there are other areas that have the same, the are closer to the Visitor's centre and get more people using them.

See the map on page 2

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0346.pdf

Andy B
24-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds and looks good Joanne!

Bluey
24-03-2010, 06:50 PM
This shaping up really well guys. Takes lots of photos. Better still why not talk to the local rag and see if they are interested in running a story on you all getting together. Be good publicity if they did.

Andy B
24-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Hope so Bluey! We'll have to get you across to the next one.

I'm happy to ring the local rag and see if they are interested and if not we can always send them a group photo and a blurb for them to print on a slow week. (Hand it to them on a platter). If that's alright with everyone?? and then on future events they might send a photographer and maybe our founder might come along for us to thank him in person. :wave-hi:

Fred's mowing
24-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Hoping to make it also, although might have to leave a little early 4 the twighlight game. Go u Saints!
Cheers Dean.

holdenhead
24-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi all, I will be there. Will bring one of the kids as the other one is a social butterfly at 4 yrs old and has a party to go to every weekend.

Andy B
26-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Hi All,

Just making sure this thread is near the top at the start of the weekend. ;)

Not sure what the BBQ etiquette is down here is Vic but figure it must be same or similar:

Everyone bring a plate, (salad or a desert etc).
BYO meat (or veggie burger if you are that way inclined and you get first go on the BBQ).
BYO drinks.

We'll bring a brocoli salad. Trust me the kids will even pick at it.

And just wondering, shall we have a game of cricket or do you fellas want to teach me how to kick a red ball? (Haven't kicked for four posts since I was 12. :) )

Or do you want to have a game of Blower golf? byo blower and golf ball or does a tennis ball work better? :)

geoff1969
26-03-2010, 09:54 AM
hey any dont forget sunscreen for kids and aero gaurd and a little first aid kit as one kids will usualy do the knee scrape thing ....

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
27-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I'll have to remember to bring the bocce balls. Always seem to be popular at a bar-b

Fred's mowing
30-03-2010, 08:00 PM
C,mon guys, put your hand up. Lets make this thing work! :aus-flag:
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
30-03-2010, 09:16 PM
C,mon guys, put your hand up. Lets make this thing work! :aus-flag:
Cheers Dean.

It's on mate, it might only be a few of us getting together or may be several but it's on.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Next sunday yeah. Just thought I would bring it up as a reminder for everyone :russ:

Andy B
10-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Yep, next Sunday 18th at the oaks picnic area at Jells park from 10:30ish.

So if you booked in a clean up (like I did), ring the customer (like I did) and profusely apologize (like I did), and reschedule (like I did). :ebony: Then put a big note in you diary.

Mrs HMS
10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes...next Sunday.

We'll be there and I'll bring some potato salad for the group, an idea on just how many people are coming would help us to know how much salad to make.

Mrs HMS
17-04-2010, 12:26 PM
The big day is tomorrow...going to be beautiful weather.

Who's coming??

Fred's mowing
17-04-2010, 01:24 PM
The missus & I are in :wave-hi: .
We,ll bring a salad.
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
17-04-2010, 07:59 PM
We are, my wife, two kids and me.

See you tomorrow for those coming!

Looking forward to it!

Andy B
17-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I've got yours or Tims number Joanne so if I get lost I'll call you. :) If anyone else can't find us call me on 0401 001 772 or look out for my Silver Wagon with roof racks and magnets on the quarters.

Mrs HMS
17-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's my number you have Andy? 0421 is mine, 0409 is Tim's

Enter via Ferntree Gully Road!

See you all tomorrow!

Andy B
17-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Doh, got both. Lucky I can still work my phone after a few. :laughing:

Mrs HMS
18-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Well I think we can say the inaugural Victorian Beer Day was a wonderful success.

Good food, great weather, relaxing venue and fantastic company.

It was so nice to put faces to names and meet the other family members.

Thankyou very much Andy for organising this.

Lets hope it's the first of many and next time more are able to make it, I know I would love to meet more of you in real life.

Other states should get on board and organise a meet up too...Bluey we're happy to make you an honorary Victorian if you feel like making the treck ;)

I didn't get many pics at all because I forgot to check my SD card before I left and hadn't downloaded all the pics off it beforehand so took one and the card was full, quickly looked for shots to delete but I tend to do that as I go so wanted nearly all that was on there, therefore managed to get only 2.

But here are a few of us...missing from the shot is Dean and also Timmy who were off at the BBQ I think. If you look really carefully you can just see the peak of Andy's hat next to his lovely wife. I haven't named names - it's not my place to do that but feel free to point yourselves out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/alyssasmum/118-1894_IMG.jpg

Sorry about the random russian who walked in front of me just as I took the picture - seriously there was this group of Russians there who were BBQ'ing for 2 solid hours - well before the majority of their group had even arrived!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/alyssasmum/118-1893_IMG.jpg

63impala
18-04-2010, 06:37 PM
See andy is a lot taller in person them russians look like red army soldiers where is the German SS when you need them... :cool:

Scooby Steve
18-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Cheers Andy for getting this started. It was great to catch up with everyone in person and to put faces to the names, no egos just great people and there families on a beautiful sunny Melbourne day :wave-hi: . Would have loved to have stayed longer. Maybe next time a golf day or fishing comp. Or we could play skirmish/paintball against the Jimbo's wouldn't that be fun :p .

Andy B
18-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Joanne said it perfectly "Good food, great weather, relaxing venue and fantastic company."

Spot on Scooby, good bunch and good times! Maybe cutting grass all day, talking to plants/trees and digging up weeds makes us all down to earth good fella's.

Thank you all for welcoming me to Victoria and thank you especially to those who came along today. Like I said when I started this thread it's easy to say we should have a beer together one day but to meant it is to do it. Thanks again and hope to do it again later in the year!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Cheers everyone. Really enjoyed meeting everybody. I would have liked to have stayed longer as well.

Dean I think your wife ( I'm sorry I can't remember her name ) should put her Canadian layered salad in the recipes thread. That was great, as was all the food there today. :)

Fred's mowing
19-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Nice to meet eveyone & see the faces.
Big thanx to Andy 4 organising, great turn out 4 the first get together, next time possibly even more :wave-hi: .
Will get in the wifes ear to put up the recipe.
Cheers Dean.

holdenhead
19-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi all, Great meeting you all. Was a good day. Will definately have to do it again. Xmas break up? Cheers Rick

Fred's mowing
20-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi all, Great meeting you all. Was a good day. Will definately have to do it again. Xmas break up? Cheers Rick
Bluey can be ref :aus-flag: .
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
20-04-2010, 10:24 PM
See andy is a lot taller in person them russians look like red army soldiers where is the German SS when you need them... :cool:

That's not actually me, I was busy rounding up the lucky door prize that everyone who didn't come didn't win. :p

63impala
21-04-2010, 11:31 AM
What was the prize andy.....1 free mow from andy B's lol lol :cool:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
21-04-2010, 03:53 PM
What was the prize andy.....1 free mow from andy B's lol lol :cool:

No..... It's a slab of beer every week for 3 months ;)

Bluey
22-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Been busy and have missed this one...looks like everyone had a great time. Hope there weren't to many sore heads the next day

Andy B
24-04-2010, 08:27 PM
No sore heads reported, it's a long way for to come for a BBQ but you'd be more then welcome at the next one Bluey.