PDA

View Full Version : Sir Walter begginers plan.

Andy B
17-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I've got a client who's husband passed away late last year and I have been given the responsibility of his lawn. He was a well known and much loved man who was known for his attention to detail and pride of work. That being said I want to do my best to get it right for his lovely widow.

It's a small patch of I what I believe to be Sir Walter. The first time I mowed it some months ago I noticed it had areas of thick spongy thatch. The thatch is starting to show through and needs some extra attention. I wasn't quite sure what to do so I've done a little research and now ask you expert lawnies for your advice, support, feedback etc

It wasn't fertilised in Summer so we'll fertilise it next week after mowing this weekend. And again later in Autumn hoping to get it through winter?

What notch do you guys with 19' honda's use for Sirwalter or other buffalo lawns?

My client asked about cutting it real low to get rid of the thatch which I didn't think that was the right thing to do at least not at this time of year?

We'll manually aerate it next week as well hoping that will help or is this a bad idea?

I'm going to suggest as per the Sir Walter Web site that after it's fertilised next week that it be soaked once a week for the next six weeks. (I think there is a tank that will facilitate this)

Will that be enough?

geoff
17-03-2010, 09:28 PM
November is the best time to ge trid of the soft spots , cut a least two levels below the normal cutting height , it will look a bit scalped at first but will bounce back quick...if you do it latter like feb march wont come back as quick...otherwise just cut it high and fert every 6 weeks or so ...should stay green even through winter although depebds on how cold it gets...thats what we see down here in the southern burbs .....

ian
17-03-2010, 11:09 PM
as geoff said plus you could try giving it a dose of seasol the microbes in this are supposed to help break down thatch if i can i mow buffalo on at least a 6 preferably and 8 or even higher in summer

lenny
18-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Andy I wouldn't remove the thatch until spring this year. Aerating is a good idea, but does it really need to be aerated, is the soil compacted, poor drainage etc.

I agree with Ian cut it high level 6 to 8 with your Honda and giving it a feed now is a good idea to.

Wattle GC
18-03-2010, 07:32 AM
As the guys said .leave the thatch problem till start of the next growing season early spring.I do this sort of stuff October longweekend...This is a warm season grass and will go relatively dormant through winter..

Give it some fertilizer will boost it a bit at this time of year but you will see a slow down in growth in about a month or so.

You can mow it low for now but it will not look to fantastic..

Remember this.. When you de-thatch a buffalo it's an agressive process so the most important thing is to warn your customers it will look like its been dug up by a Dinosaur for a few weeks till it settles .Otherwise your customers might have a heart attack at the end result....

Andy B
18-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for that everyone, feel a bit more confident now. It probably doesn't need aerating just fertilising so we'll stick to that. I'll try the seasol too alternatively with the stuff the client has bought for it. Thanks again!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I've got a customer with sir walter always cut it on 6 or 7 but there is always a lot of runners sitting across the top....is that normal for a sir walter lawn in its first six months, as other more established s w lawns I haven't seen it like this. :i dunno:

Wattle GC
19-03-2010, 07:45 AM
I've got a customer with sir walter always cut it on 6 or 7 but there is always a lot of runners sitting across the top....is that normal for a sir walter lawn in its first six months, as other more established s w lawns I haven't seen it like this. :i dunno:

Most likley You may have soil compaction in areas which will cause the stolens to race across to find easier root growth areas.Does this grass get a lot of use / heavy traffic etc?..Without seeing it i would try and airate or loosen the soil a bit ,give it a bit of fertilizer to promote groth in problem areas and see how it grows..

I had one where there was still traces of the old buffalo remaining and caused a similar problem..The old school cultivars are tough and sometimes difficult to completly remove before the new grass is laid.

imoww
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I have a client with a shaded area she wants turfed... She wants Sir walter buffalo. Ive mentioned Sir walter soft leaf due to the shade but does anyone know if soft leaf will last?
Because im thinking of getting the imitation grass for her instead.....

Scooby Steve
11-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Would fertilizing be worthwhile when its sooooo cold or would you just be enhancing the weeds?

Mrs HMS
11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Andy there's a great vid on here somewhere...one of the guys is dethatching with a rake and one of his kids riding on to of the rake to get better depth. Can't remember who posted it but if you're reading this, can you link to it please?

I'll go in search too

ian
11-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Would fertilizing be worthwhile when its sooooo cold or would you just be enhancing the weeds?
the only reason to fertilize a buffalo lawn at this time of the year in Melbourne is to make the weeds grow faster :laughing: buffalo is or will soon be dormant so will get no benefit to speak off from fertilizer

administrator
12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.loveyourlawn.com.au/

administrator
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Andy there's a great vid on here somewhere...one of the guys is dethatching with a rake and one of his kids riding on to of the rake to get better depth. Can't remember who posted it but if you're reading this, can you link to it please?

I'll go in search too

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9983-One-thousand-dollar-prize/page2

6TH POST DOWN THE PAGE