PDA

View Full Version : Radio earmuffs

Fred's mowing
18-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Who else uses them? Ive tried both Peltors & Unitunes.
The Peltors seem clerarer but the Unitunes seem to last longer, neither are cheap!
Like other regular earmuffs, u dont seem to notice the rain too much unless its heavy, but they,ll cook your head in the heat :( .
Cheers Dean.

Bluey
18-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I hate ear muffs. Can't wear a hat and being a bluey I need to wear a hat all the time. They fall off and you sweat and you look a di*k. I just use those yellow foam ear plugs

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Never will. Like to here the sound of the equipment. Like I always tell my wife if you've got the radio blaring in the car all the time how are you going to know if something doesn't sound right.

Fred's mowing
18-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I hate ear muffs. Can't wear a hat and being a bluey I need to wear a hat all the time. They fall off and you sweat and you look a di*k. I just use those yellow foam ear plugs
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Good one Bluey, but dont tell me u wear those little *** sock protector thingies, I,d rather mow in bare feet than be seen in a pair of those :laughing: .
Cheers Dean.

Bluey
18-03-2010, 07:54 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Good one Bluey, but dont tell me u wear those little *** sock protector thingies, I,d rather mow in bare feet than be seen in a pair of those :laughing: .
Cheers Dean.

Nah mate I wear long trousers all year round. No need to protect me socks. But my missus reckons the world needs protecting from me socks at the end of a long hot day.

DavidS
18-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I use on of the those Redback hats with the cut outs for ear muffs, not a problem plus has the back of the neck cover as well for when I am gardening. If not I use earplugs.

DavidS
18-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Glen if you don't wear something to protect your hearing you will be hearing a ringing in your ears when you get older. Got a couple of mates who never wore ear plugs or muffs using machinery and now they have a constant ringing in their ears and are partially deaf to boot.

Fred's mowing
18-03-2010, 08:30 PM
What David said, also all earmuffs are designed to reduce not eliminate noise. The radio earmuffs also have a limited max volume 4 this reason. Sometimes we run our hedgecutters 4 hours on end, earmuffs are essential (at least 4 your sanity), & the boredom......oh the boredom! :rolleyes: .
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
18-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I quietly listen to the radio on my phone with a head set and wear earmuffs. I find that beats the boredom and if the station isn't matching the mood, one press and onto another one.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey Glen if you don't wear something to protect your hearing you will be hearing a ringing in your ears when you get older. Got a couple of mates who never wore ear plugs or muffs using machinery and now they have a constant ringing in their ears and are partially deaf to boot.

Gday David

Sorry I might have sent the wrong message. I always wear earmuffs just wouldn't have music playing through them. When I was in my old career used to get guys working for me who would have music blaring through those ipod things with earmuffs over the top. There was once or twice I saw them doing something dangerous, would yell out to them and they would not hear a thing I said.

simo
18-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I use Noise Cancelling Headphones there great you can just put them in like ear plugs and they block the noise of the tools (and pita`s) while you can listen to the radio...and can wear a wide brim hat.. :cool:

GreenHaven
19-03-2010, 12:28 AM
i use ear plugs and muffs at the same time always have my old mans got the ringing in the ears at age 50 and he works in a office he also works with veterans that have bad hearing and ringing not many good stories how thats ended up so yeh i sometimes do use my mp3 player with my ear muffs when using my rideon mower

lenny
19-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I love it when the customers start talking to you and the mower is going and you have earmuffs on.

Wattle GC
19-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Husquavana make a good pair of radio ear muffs..Bit pricey (about $80.00) but they are excellent..

Neil&family
19-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Husquavana make a good pair of radio ear muffs..Bit pricey (about $80.00) but they are excellent..

I got a set of these and have had them for 5 years now.They are Peltor's so you can get replacement foams and seals.

Can't remember how much they were though.
:russ: :russ:

dave hirst
19-03-2010, 05:17 PM
peltor sell an ear muff that has a material strap over the head and sprung steel around the back of the neck, so you can wear a wide brimmed hat, you can buy over the nett for about 40 bucks, they charge about 70 at lawn mowing shops.
i have used these for about 8 years and find them excellent, just replace the foah and seal every now and then for 12 dollars.
dave

Fred's mowing
19-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Peltors & Unitunes are nearly double that :dean: , must try the Husky,s next.
Cheers Dean.

Redeye
19-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I wear a Cutana Coolibah hat with ventilation http://www.cutana.com.au/ lot cheaper than Akubra, just as good.
I use in-ear phones with mp3 player tuned to local ABC radio, time goes a lot quicker. Also wear sock savers, and, when necessary, shin guards I bought here from Dean - best money spent, my shins aren't permanently bruised/bleeding from whippering mongrel jobs :aus-flag:

63impala
13-04-2010, 03:45 PM
The husqvarna ones kick ass I have had them for 3 years Allway drop them the battery last for every I love it when your doing your thing and a sweet jimmy barns song comes working class man it gets you moda vaded or Copper head road.... or flame trees

You have been mowing through dog turds all day its 40degress out its the last job of the day will say it your 26th lawn you cant go on untill this song comes on and you have the will to finish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8vuZKUi15Q

MOWON
17-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Nah mate I wear long trousers all year round. No need to protect me socks. But my missus reckons the world needs protecting from me socks at the end of a long hot day.

How do you stand the heat Bluey :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:

I wear shorts and gaiters all year round ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

That's the legging gaiters not the nasty gators with large teeth. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Way too hot for trousers

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-04-2010, 05:02 PM
How do you stand the heat Bluey :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:

I wear shorts and gaiters all year round ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

That's the legging gaiters not the nasty gators with large teeth. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Way too hot for trousers

I wear blue jeans and long sleave shirt. Dont want suncancer. Couple times the young fella turns up in shorts when he does i put him on the snipper after his legs are really sore he knows why i tell him to wear jeans.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Husqvarna has lots of specials on at moment and there head set with bluetooth for phone as well as radio looks a treat. not sure price.

63impala
17-04-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.newagearbor.com.au/shop/prod899.htm those are my babies.....I recon walkie talkie ones would be crazy say you have 2 dudes on ride on....

2\6 this is 3\6 how copy...
3\6 this is 2\6 copy
well 2\6 you mised a blade of grass south west of you postion about 1 clix from the tree line and your mower how copy...

3\6--2\6 will be lighting up that are soon 2\6 out lol lol lol lol

TOO EASY YARD CARE
17-04-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.newagearbor.com.au/shop/prod899.htm those are my babies.....I recon walkie talkie ones would be crazy say you have 2 dudes on ride on....

3\6 this is 2\6 copy
well 2\6 you mised a blade of grass south west of you postion about 1 clix from the tree line and your mower how copy...

hahaha thats gold :aus-flag:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
17-04-2010, 07:37 PM

3\6 this is 2\6 copy

How funny but some times i could use walkie talkie ones the young fella im yelling at him to race me around the snipper well hes putting **** away. Then i have to walk around grab it and walk back to do something that took less time than the walk.

Andy B
17-04-2010, 08:07 PM
We should have car track days! 63Impala would have us in stitches all day on the radio.

4/6 Is it safe to pass?

2/6 Yeh, go 4 it, u'll make it if you have a stihl

4/6 I don't have a stihl

2/6 Go 4 it any way

4/6 Smart a%%

Etc Etc

:p :p :p

Peace out Big Kev. :wave-hi:

63impala
18-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Oh it would be crazy it would make boring days fun....

MOWON
21-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I wear blue jeans and long sleave shirt. Dont want suncancer. Couple times the young fella turns up in shorts when he does i put him on the snipper after his legs are really sore he knows why i tell him to wear jeans.

Hi TLLG
Re :Previous post I wear shorts and gaiters
:wave-hi: :wave-hi:
I agree with protecting oneself against sun cancer.
BUT - The shorts worn by most people these days are not the shorts
of 5 years ago.

Unlike my old Rugby shorts these new things go down to above or below the knee (looks bloody stupid)
But I wear them for mowing .
Anyway I have discovered many years ago jeans do not protect your legs from rubbish on the lawn especially when using a trimmer or mulcher.

I wear gaiters /leggings up to the knee with a padding in front of the shin bone. (my design padding))
My shin has dents in it and the Doc told me if you keep doing that to yourself you will end up with bone cancer.
Gaiters - no more dents - and dents hurt like hell
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
I notice there are more and more Asians mowing lawns and they wear gloves, long sleeves, trousers etc (how can they stand the heat) No skin to be seen.
More smarter than me I think because Melanoma runs in my family.
Rambling again
Cheers Mike
:i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno:

MOWON
21-04-2010, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=Andy B]We should have car track days! 63Impala would have us in stitches all day on the radio.

4/6 Is it safe to pass?

2/6 Yeh, go 4 it, u'll make it if you have a stihl

4/6 I don't have a stihl

2/6 Go 4 it any way
Etc Etc

LOL LOl
:p :p :p
Or common usage
Stihl waiting
Stihl here
Where the Stihl are you
Stihl you , you Stihling PITA
StIHL off.
I feel sorry for Mark Paisley who had some arse***e stihl his Honda 216

The way Impala 63 promotes Stihl (which is a good product) I think Stihl should update one brushcutter per year due to him giving free advertising for their product.
I have emailed Stihl to promote this sites promotion by Impala63.
Probably a waste of time but worth a go
:wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

63impala
21-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Hell yah mow on do it man that would be crazy

Check this out

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/usmctillidie/?action=view&current=Atomeedger001.jpg

MOWON
21-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Hell yah mow on do it man that would be crazy

Check this out

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/usmctillidie/?action=view&current=Atomeedger001.jpg

Thats fantastic Kev (Impala63)
I emailed Stihl Australia promoting you and this site but If I had these Stihl promotions they might listen. (or not)
You could be a top Stihl salesman Kev
;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;
But I have seen your fleet of well maintained machines and I think you and me are alike in some ways . ( Our machines are our interest/pastime/ hobby or just like top gear)
Cheers Mike :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

63impala
22-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Iam having this vision of being in a stihl commerical its crazy

This is how it will start A dude mowing a lawn with a smoky mower that keeps on back firing.....
And then I come out of the bushers and say you dont want this...
You want your lawn pimped by a real pimp A LAWN PIMP..
And then I open the back of my enclosed tralier covered with stihl logos and 3 bikini clad women come out with the biggest a real noorkers on earth.. Tiffany is holding the new Bg 86 she knows how to give a good blow down...Bambie is using the New fs130 4-mix...Thumper is just chillin....

Boys and girls if you want to sit on you veranda with a cold one and watch this call kev on 1800URMOMASHOUSE..

The small print Stihl.... Woman in picture may vare in size the more you drink the skinner they get please drink resposleby..... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Ha Ha Ha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What a *isser

Redeye
23-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Yesss!! Tiff,Bambi &Thumper....mate I'll book you in for my lawn :laughing:

63impala
24-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Good to see boys cheaper than a strip club and they come to you... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

63impala
24-04-2010, 08:38 AM
My oldest sister is a carpet layer, so thats why I put boys and girls just so I wasent discriminating...

Wombat Garden Services
24-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the makings of a reality tv show "Pimp My Lawn" starring Big Kev and the Stihl girls.. :laughing:

63impala
24-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Hell yah wombat and you can be my wing man lol lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MOWON
24-04-2010, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=63impala]Iam having this vision of being in a stihl commerical its crazy

This is how it will start A dude mowing a lawn with a smoky mower that keeps on back firing.....
And then I come out of the bushers and say you dont want this...
You want your lawn pimped by a real pimp A LAWN PIMP..
And then I open the back of my enclosed tralier covered with stihl logos and 3 bikini clad women come out with the biggest a real noorkers on earth.. Tiffany is holding the new Bg 86 she knows how to give a good blow down...Bambie is using the New fs130 4-mix...Thumper is just chillin....

Jesus
I do not know how to reply????

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

63impala
24-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey I was speechless after I wrote it.lol lol :ebony: :ebony:

Fred's mowing
25-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Go big Kev, give it heaps!
Cheers Dean.

63impala
30-04-2010, 09:03 PM
So I write To stihl and sent some photos of my toys saying how much I loved them and if you made woman they would be the best around any way I said I wont your logo On my shirts I said Iam a 6f4 walking bill board and they repled we canot do that but we have sent you some thing in the mail got it today 6 of the coolist stihl stickers around 3 key chains and this book on the 2010 new toys it is a thick book so Iam pictring tommrow one bubble bath cholate milk and read this mag from front to back its a STIHL thing...... :cool: :rolleyes: :russ: :russ: :laughing: :laughing: :) :) :rolleyes: :cool:

Redeye
30-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Lord, save us and preserve us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
30-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Don't think I want to be a fly on the wall at Impalas place tomorrow :laughing:

Fred's mowing
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Was havivg a good day today, job was ahead or schedule & I was feelin fine!
Radio earmuffs full bore & on came AC/DC..............Thunderstruck!
So naturally I start to stut my stuff, blower in hand.................like Dermie in a Grandfinal:dance.
SPRUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o:o :D.
Cheers Dean.

63impala
14-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey Tender love and To eazy you need to get some of these bad boys why the dollar is cheap they sell these over here for 360 they are better then the peltor ones more slim line worth ever sent...I wear mine 24/7 worth every sent dropped them a million times and still going hard your having a bad day and a sweet Metalica song comes on to get you pumped and hard charged to keep on pushin...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HUSQVARNA-PROFESSIONAL-HEARING-PROTECTORS-FM-RADIO-/350362903237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519341a2c

This is the song dont pay attenion to the other stuff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFYeM9W3NHI

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I want the ones with the bluetooth function so i can hear my phone ringing.

63impala
14-11-2010, 10:45 AM
True and thats stihl cheap for them...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Husqvarna-505665370-Hearing-Protection-Radio-Bluetooth-/380182656744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5884a6f6e8

Redeye
14-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Just got these on US ebay $62 posted http://cgi.ebay.com/Peltor-Worktunes-AM-FM-MP3-RADIO-ear-protector-NEW_W0QQitemZ250669633758QQcategoryZ53152QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp4012.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26 its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26ot n%3D12%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4936330507167134458#ht_ 1285wt_905
Peltor's which are as good as they get

Redeye
14-11-2010, 12:04 PM
get these locally http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Peltor-Digital-WorkTunes-Radio-Earmuffs-/230548420130?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item35adc1b622#ht_1491wt_905
$115 posted - highest protection rating

Neil&family
14-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Try these... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bullant-Bluetooth-Earmuffs-AM-FM-Radio-ABA700-/300492181799?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item45f6bad127

I got a pair of Peltor worktunes. Had them for 6 years now and still going strong.
Might get me some of these bullants though so i don't have to take them off when the phone rings.

Neil&family
14-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Another option. Does all the above and you can plug in a flash drive for mp3's. http://www.autoaudio.com.au/product_info.php?pName=usb-amfm-bluetooth-earmuffs

ian
14-11-2010, 03:03 PM
i had the bullant am/fm headphones and i don't think they were as good as the peltor worktunes i have now

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I should really get some going industrial deaf all ready and i am only 30 too many years spent in loud nightclubs.

gcsmow
15-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I find it hard not to day dream as it is, but listening to music would only make it worse. However when some d---head neighbour or tenant comes over and has a whinge about something really pathetic it would be good to have an ipod pumping so I could ignore them.

geoff
15-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Just got these on US ebay $62 posted http://cgi.ebay.com/Peltor-Worktunes-AM-FM-MP3-RADIO-ear-protector-NEW_W0QQitemZ250669633758QQcategoryZ53152QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp4012.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26 its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26ot n%3D12%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4936330507167134458#ht_ 1285wt_905
Peltor's which are as good as they get

are they really good.....think thats great as i use good ear muffs but have to plug in my little radio in and rely on the vibration of the phone...sometimes i use the fm channel of the mobile but it doesnt have am

Bluey
15-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I find it hard not to day dream as it is, but listening to music would only make it worse. However when some d---head neighbour or tenant comes over and has a whinge about something really pathetic it would be good to have an ipod pumping so I could ignore them.

Well said. Aren't we here to mow the lawn?????

Redeye
15-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I got sick of buying in-ear plugs for the mp3 (ABC radio) that are under the ear-muffs, that are under the hat, that fall out requiring removing the hat, then the muffs, then re-inserting
the plugs etc....just hoping I can adapt them to my Peltor behind the neck style muffs so I can still wear a hat

jas
15-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Well said. Aren't we here to mow the lawn?????

I agree, I like to listen to music and the radio, but when I'm mowing i prefer to hear what sounds the mower is making, especially if its a unwanted sound, you quickly shut down your quickly!!,

jas

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-11-2010, 08:39 PM
yes this is a good point if you cant hear the mower properly you could be cutting metal or smething like that.

VJinTownsville
16-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Ive got a senheiser pmx80 sports earphone...it clips on like one of those earplugs with the neckband. the best thing is that its made for rough use for sports and it only cuts out a lot of noise. its not too intrusive to hear your ears or cause an infection too.

I mate that with my phone so if it rings, it just cuts out music and replace it with the ringtone. It is not as hot as those massive earmuffs and you can wear a hat with it or not since it wraps around behind the neck.

Best thing ive ever got. My second pair since some d*ckhead decided to steal my ipod and earphones in the car the c*nts. I just keep a spare battery for my phone in the car just in case it goes flat.

courty
16-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Ive got a senheiser pmx80 sports earphone...it clips on like one of those earplugs with the neckband. the best thing is that its made for rough use for sports and it only cuts out a lot of noise. its not too intrusive to hear your ears or cause an infection too.

I mate that with my phone so if it rings, it just cuts out music and replace it with the ringtone. It is not as hot as those massive earmuffs and you can wear a hat with it or not since it wraps around behind the neck.

Best thing ive ever got. My second pair since some d*ckhead decided to steal my ipod and earphones in the car the c*nts. I just keep a spare battery for my phone in the car just in case it goes flat.

I was looking at these the other day,might have to grab a pair now. I'm not to interested in having music going,just want to block out some of the noise and be able to hear my phone and like you VJ I hate those bloody big ear muffs.

63impala
16-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I dont get you guys on wanting to here your phone I leave mine in my truck and all call will go to message bank untill i return to my truck untill then I will call them back thats how I roll who want to stop in the middle of a job a run back to there vecle and write detalis down ...

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I dont get you guys on wanting to here your phone I leave mine in my truck and all call will go to message bank untill i return to my truck untill then I will call them back thats how I roll who want to stop in the middle of a job a run back to there vecle and write detalis down ...

half the time you ring them back and they have rang someone else.

Bluey
16-11-2010, 09:11 PM

The blokes who want the job...you snoose you loose

gcsmow
16-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Yep that's right some people just won't wait. Every wet season I'll get someone ring up and want their yard done today, usually they are a one-off job and you never hear from them again and I won't neglect my regulars for them. Some people advertise "same day response". There is just no way that I can do that and I don't even want to try.

courty
16-11-2010, 10:10 PM

This is especially true for those of us still filling our book.

Bgs
16-11-2010, 10:19 PM
You’re not wrong if you are chasing more work you need to answer your phone,
In my experience I have found if you miss the call no matter the timeframe taken to ring back they usually have organised someone else, It makes me wonder why they leave messages

gcsmow
16-11-2010, 10:27 PM
....and then you have the tight @r$e$ that ring every mower man they can find to get the lowest bidder.

You’re not wrong if you are chasing more work you need to answer your phone,
In my experience I have found if you miss the call no matter the timeframe taken to ring back they usually have organised someone else, It makes me wonder why they leave messages

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Some dont leave messages. I got a message on my phone the other day from a private number. the message was daniel just want a quote on my yard in annandale leave the price in the letterbox. I laughed and thought i could leave a quote in about thousand houses in annandale.

geoff1969
16-11-2010, 11:07 PM
all ways answer the phone if i can but i dont stress to much if i miss it or have to let it go to message bank = just ring back ??? the thing that amazes me is the number of clients in the past that claim thay have rang serveral contractors and apart from my self none have called them back ..

Mick
16-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Best muffs Ive used were Peltor Alert (plus). Noise reduction, radio. Could set amount of ambient noise you wanted. Only problem was the patch chord wasnt 3.5mm and they stopped working one day.
Ive had a heap of Peltor Worktunes. Best ones IMO are the old ones with the dial tuner and 3.5mm jack for phone. Only problem is the internal wiring can get damaged.
I have a set of the newer digi tuner Peltors from the USA ebay as already posted here and have to send them back after 2 mths. Doing that later this week. I think moisture got into it after getting caught in a shower.

Anyway, what ever ya get, be careful of the wiring an moisture!

Wouldnt mind some noise cancelling ear buds but I get infections REALLY easily so probably not a great idea.

Sordin and Bilson are a couple of other brands to look into.

63impala
17-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Hey if the want the best they can wait For a service with a smile call your local Lawn Pimp lol lol lol lol

VJinTownsville
19-11-2010, 12:22 AM
the radio would be good..songs get old from time to time. at least the radio feels you are having some kind of human interaction somehow.

MowMan
27-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I just got a pair of the Peltor worktunes on eBay for $99. They are awesome. Somcomfortable and heaps cheaper than buying in the shops. I think they retail for over $140!! Just search for Peltor on eBay. Think they had a few on there.

MowMan
27-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Just found them again

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELTOR-WORKTUNES-Digital-AM-FM-MP3-Radio-HEADPHONES-Hearing-PROTECTION-Ear-Muffs-/190593618682?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item2c6043d2fa#ht_1061wt_922

Redlandsguy
27-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I use a set of Stanley radio muffs, had bought Bull ant first but they are crap. They are comfortable and all but the slides to adjust the position of the muffs are plastic tubes and they just break. A waste of $100, The STanley's have a much more solid construction and while they don't have blus tooth lik ethe others (didn't use it anyway) they are tough enough to last and do the job. They were slao cheaper, around $80 from memory.

Redeye
27-10-2011, 08:01 PM
i've been using the peltors for ages - here's a tip, pull off the rubber volume knob and just have the brass post, they turn themselves on very easily accidentally getting bumped and flatten the batteries, I now also use lithium batteries for long life

Mick
27-10-2011, 08:29 PM
i've been using the peltors for ages - here's a tip, pull off the rubber volume knob and just have the brass post, they turn themselves on very easily accidentally getting bumped and flatten the batteries, I now also use lithium batteries for long life

Thats exactly what happened to me today! I HATE not having tunes while working! Might try taking the knob off, but its only happened a couple of times.
I hate it more when the batteries almost flat and they send the alarm into my brain! Scares the sh!t out of me!

ian
27-10-2011, 09:56 PM
i use the Nimh rechargeable batteries

Greenie
25-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I have just bought peltors worktunes ear muffs, give them ago on the bigger jobs:):)

HPM
25-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Where did ya gettum..... I want some too...

Greenie
25-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I got them from eBay I'll give up the link it was 88 bucks all up

Greenie
25-01-2012, 07:22 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120829417367&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:1123#ht_1961wt_922

ian
25-01-2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-Peltor-Radio-Ear-muffs-Mower-Tractor-Bobcat-/120829417367?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item1c21fe9797
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELTOR-WORKTUNES-Digital-AM-FM-MP3-Radio-HEADPHONES-Hearing-PROTECTION-Ear-Muffs-/250901618222?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a6ae6de2e

Redeye
25-01-2012, 08:11 PM
that 2nd link is where I got mine, bloody thieving shops in this country

PaulG
25-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Do you get much static when tuning in to some of our AM stations that aren't on the 5kHz interval?

Greenie
25-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I just hope I can get ray Hadley on am :)

63impala
26-01-2012, 04:25 AM
There not bad had mine for awhile know and stiihl going good the huskies one are the way to go low profilal my ones pick up static and radio chadder... throw aother shrip on tha barbe

Redeye
26-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Haven't listened to AM for 30 years because of red neck, right wing extremists like Jones, Hadley et al......ABC Local for me

ian
26-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Haven't listened to AM for 30 years because of red neck, right wing extremists like Jones, Hadley et al......ABC Local for me
so you prefer the left wing extremists :laughing:

Greenie
01-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Well I got them and tried them, I'm really not sure there safe:), I seriously loose focus on what Iam doing. And tend to bumb into things, I had them on for one job and took them off. I love hearing the motor run, and once the ear muffs are on I can't hear it.... Umm not sure.

Neil&family
01-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I lost the left speaker about 3 months ago and yesterday the right side stopped. They were only 9 years old. Good value I reckon.

Leon241
09-08-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.jonsered.com/int/chainsaws/protective-equipment/helmets/protective-helmet,-complete,-with-fm-radio/

I like to wear a visor and also radio earmuffs, but combining the units is a bit cumbersome and awkward. Any thoughts on this above setup, I know its designed for logging use, but any reason why I couldn't use it. It is the only one I've been able to find with radio and visor...

sterlo
09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
get a pair of these babies...

http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=13419&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc

Sterlo

dirkmirk
09-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I bought a pair of Bullant earmuffs for $49 from Mitre 10 a few weeks ago, I set the volume to an acceptable level using the line in from my mobile phone but after powering on my lawn mower, brushcutter, etc, I can't hear the volume so need to turn it up to hear it.

I think essentially they're a good idea but not practical in the real world, your trying to protect your hearing but on the other hand you turn the volume up to an uncomfortable level to overpower the noise of petrol powered machines, perhaps if you spend $3-700 you will get good enough quality to protect your hearing and listen to the radio at an ear friendly level.

And if you do buy expensive radio/mp3 earmuffs do they sell replacement parts that wear out, ie speakers or seals/foam inserts? My experience with bullant earmuffs is they degrade pretty quickly as a result of sweating, the inner cusions collapse rendering them useless.

I know some guys don't give a f##k about their hearing but I do, I think best practice is to use ear buds + ear muffs(ear buds as in the cylindrical foam you roll up and insert into the ear).

Neil&family
09-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Peltor worktunes Dirkmirk. Absolutely superb.

mongoose
10-08-2012, 10:27 PM
I use ear buds when mowing and snipping , im curious about the radio ear muffs dont they get hot , how do they go with sweating in them . Have a great week end people .

Redeye
11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
i wear my peltors with these http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=573

dirkmirk
12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I had a pair of Peltor WTD2600s a few years back and they suffered the same fate as the bullants, the cusions collapsed and that was that, $129 for about 3 months of good use then tossed out a few months later,

Chris B
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
hey dirkmirk, you can buy a hygiene kit for the peltors. i change mine after more than 12 months uses and they are back to new again.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peltor-HY10-54-Hygiene-Kit-Replacement-Foam-4-Peltor-Earmuff-H10A-Optime-105-/110924721434?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item19d3a0ed1a

Fred's mowing
12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Uni tunes will outlast peltors 3 to 1, thats my experience.
Cheers Fred.

South East Mowing
12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Well I got them and tried them, I'm really not sure there safe:), I seriously loose focus on what Iam doing. And tend to bumb into things, I had them on for one job and took them off. I love hearing the motor run, and once the ear muffs are on I can't hear it.... Umm not sure.

I was the same about wanting to hear the motor run. You dont need them loud, just loud enough to listen to tunes and you should still be able to hear the motor.

Chris B
31-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Uni tunes will outlast peltors 3 to 1, thats my experience.
Cheers Fred.
got a link for them?

Chris B
31-08-2012, 10:26 PM
whats the sound quality like on the peltor worktunes? good quality or tinny sounding?

Fred's mowing
31-08-2012, 10:44 PM
got a link for them?

Sorry Chris, Im not up with links:o, just google RSEA.
Cheers Fred.

Neil&family
01-09-2012, 07:47 AM
https://www.rsea.com.au/categories/personal-protection/hearing/earmuffs-~-aux-inputs

Lol... And i thought you were having a laugh Fred. Uni Tunes / Work tunes. School tunes?

ian
01-09-2012, 08:34 AM
i'm happy with my peltors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELTOR-WORKTUNES-Digital-AM-FM-MP3-Radio-HEADPHONES-Hearing-PROTECTION-Ear-Muffs-/250901618222?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a6ae6de2e

Fred's mowing
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM
i'm happy with my peltors http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELTOR-WORKTUNES-Digital-AM-FM-MP3-Radio-HEADPHONES-Hearing-PROTECTION-Ear-Muffs-/250901618222?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3a6ae6de2e

Agreed Ian, at that price the peltors are better value for money.
If only I could find an ebay seller for the uni tunes.
Cheers Fred.

m287j
02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Ian,

Do they work well and get our radio stations ? I've been thinking of getting a set.

Chris B
02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
check out the different dB ratings though... those yellow worktunes 22, the grey ones 26, the standard H10 muffs 30 and the H10 class 5 are 33db
the unitunes are 30dB and 31dB (assuming the hi vis ones are 30dB as well)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190569941862&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1156
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ear-Muffs-H10A-Optime-105-Peltor-Hearing-Protection-/380373612507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589008b7db#ht_1117wt_906
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peltor-Ear-Muff-Over-Head-H10A-Class-5-SLC80-33dB-Noise-Reduction-/110832048630?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item19ce1ad9f6#ht_953wt_1163

ive only ever used the 33dB peltors (without worktunes)
does anyone know how they compare to the other ones in terms of hearing protection / quietness??

ian
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Ian,

Do they work well and get our radio stations ? I've been thinking of getting a set.
i have no problems with FM and i'm under 65 so don't listen to AM :laughing: so don't know how it goes with those stations

Redeye
02-09-2012, 08:15 PM
+1 no worries with FM - if mine picked up alan jones or hadley I'd burn them

MowMan
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Hey Guys,

If anyone is after a pair of the worktunes or howard leight AM/FM headphones then let me know. Last time I had to order them I got a few extra shipped over too from America.

holdenhead
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I've got peltors gotta have some tunes going. Just gotta remember to not sing along when the machines arent running. Had a few strange looks in the past. Get some looks too when Im on the mower and something funny is said and I kill myself laughing and someone is watching me.

ian
10-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I've got peltors gotta have some tunes going. Just gotta remember to not sing along when the machines arent running. Had a few strange looks in the past. Get some looks too when Im on the mower and something funny is said and I kill myself laughing and someone is watching me.
that's one of the reasons i got the peltors now people think i'm laughing at something on the radio :)

South East Mowing
10-09-2012, 07:10 PM

I can relate to that !:rolleyes:

GardenGuy
10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
I use the Peltor H10b Class 5. To get sounds, I slip in earbuds and press play. It's a bit of a kludge, but at least the hearing protection is a little better than the Worktunes model.

When I get back in the car, plug in to top up the power and let the GPS app do the thinking to take me to the next site.

YMMV.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Redeye
12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
just bought these, the 26db ones (the yellow/black peltors are only 22db) $75 delivered from US http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D7LX3U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 my old ones are chewing through the batteries so time for a new set....updated actually as my present ones are the yellow 22db ones, still bloody good though

Greenie
12-04-2013, 06:22 PM
my yellow ones, work tunes are bloody terrific!! I dont use them all the time but i normally use it when i feeling lazy put the music on and go crazy ahaha
some customers stare at me laughing sometimes and they dont realize im listening to the music HAHA

ian
12-04-2013, 10:25 PM
just wish they would get with the times and make them mp3 wouldn't have thought it that hard to give them a micro sd slot and hardware

cadase
12-04-2013, 10:41 PM
.................................................. .................................

GardenGuy
13-04-2013, 10:10 PM
There is enough room in the Peltor H10 shells to add an MP3 player and micro-SD card slot... wonder why they haven't done it, other than the dirt and the moisture...

Cheers - GardenGuy.

ian
13-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Years ago i brought a pair of bullant earmuffs with am/fm and a card slot to make it an mp3 player unfortunately the volume didn't seem to work on the mp3 and you could barely hear it when the tools were on so i returned it

Leon241
14-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Years ago i brought a pair of bullant earmuffs with am/fm and a card slot to make it an mp3 player unfortunately the volume didn't seem to work on the mp3 and you could barely hear it when the tools were on so i returned it

I had some of these, the USB was interesting idea, but I couldn't set up the stick to play any music randomly. Bit annoying, every time you turn it on to have the same song come on and in the same order. Then they stopped working so I bought a $25 am/fm radio only that works OK.

Am keen for ones with mp3 input to listen to podcasts while working though.

ps. I reckon an attachment and also a holder for iPod/mp3 built into/onto the headphones would be handy so there's no cord to get tangled.

ian
14-04-2013, 01:27 PM
this would be about my ideal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sports-mp3-player-with-FM-radio-wireless-Headset-Headphone-Handsfree-USB-TF-Slot-/151026239814?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item2329dd8946 if they had decent plugs to muffle outside noise and used AAA or AA batteries

sterlo
15-04-2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.husqvarna.com/asia/construction/products/protective-equipment/head,-eye-and-ear-protection/hearing-protection-with-fm-radio-and-bluetooth/

not cheap though

Sterlo

Redeye
15-04-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm a bit suss on the Husky as I'm pretty sure (with my admittedly dodgy memory) that the Peltors are made in Sweden where I would imagine is where the Husky would come from - I've no actual proof here, but seems to me, if this is right, they MAY have the same guts in different shaped housings, for vastly different prices - happy to be proven wrong, won't be the last time :)

Mick
15-04-2013, 11:27 PM
I had a pair of Sordin muffs ages ago that looked EXACTLY the same as the Husky muffs, even down to the colour scheme. Im not talking the ones in the link above but the basic radio muffs. The Huskies were like $500 back then, I got the Sordins off ebay for I think $150 or so. Going back a few years now!

Found a pic of the Huskies... http://hearingprotectors.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/husqvarna-505665378-landscaper-digital-radiohearing-protectors/
Sordin... The colour on these are different but still...http://www.srstactical.ca/communications/fm-radio-headsets/msa-sordin-pro-fm-iii-electronic-hearing-protection-headset/36100.html

The Peltors are way better!

63impala
15-04-2013, 11:31 PM
The huskies are what i have slim line to the peltors....good quality product still going good after being droped so many times....

edbeek
15-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I bought myself a pair of Stanley am/fm radio earmuffs last week. They have the old style tuning dial so you can tune right into our AM stations. Can't get fm in a lot of places here so clear am is important to me.
I think the Noise Reduction was about 25dB.
Seem ok so far. Be interesting to see how long they last.

Greenie
19-03-2016, 10:25 AM
I have just bought peltors worktunes ear muffs, give them ago on the bigger jobs:):)

Well those pair have just Died!! time to get some knew ones. they are bloody expensive now though
4 years old not bad:)

Redeye
19-03-2016, 01:35 PM
under $100 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELTOR-WORKTUNES-Digital-AM-FM-MP3-Radio-HEADPHONES-Hearing-PROTECTION-Ear-Muffs-/250901618222?hash=item3a6ae6de2e:g:gdcAAMXQwwlR97t P

stephenst
19-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Watch out for the American sets, you can only use them in Aussie to get FM.

urbanpatch
19-03-2016, 08:27 PM
these are great had mine for a year or 2

http://www.totaltools.com.au/howard-leight-am-fm-radio-ear-muff-1030332/i1149567/

steveo
21-03-2016, 07:24 PM
these are great had mine for a year or 2

http://www.totaltools.com.au/howard-leight-am-fm-radio-ear-muff-1030332/i1149567/

I picked up a pair of these today. They work well. What volume do you find you are listening to the radio at? Is listening to these at the highest volume likely to damage your hearing or would the manufacturer limit the radio volume to a fairly safe level given they are safety muffs. I'm surprised by how loud you need them to hear over the machines.

Macka
22-03-2016, 04:31 PM
have you tried wearing ear plugs on aswell, they might cut out the machine noise
I picked up a pair of these today. They work well. What volume do you find you are listening to the radio at? Is listening to these at the highest volume likely to damage your hearing or would the manufacturer limit the radio volume to a fairly safe level given they are safety muffs. I'm surprised by how loud you need them to hear over the machines.

Bluey
22-03-2016, 07:44 PM
have you tried wearing ear plugs on as well, they might cut out the machine noise
Lol...classic. You wear ear muffs to protect your hearing and you wreck it with loud music. Have you blokes ever just considered wearing the muffs or ear plugs and forgetting about music for a bit. It wont kill you not to listen to it while you work

South East Mowing
22-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Lol...classic. You wear ear muffs to protect your hearing and you wreck it with loud music. Have you blokes ever just considered wearing the muffs or ear plugs and forgetting about music for a bit. It wont kill you not to listen to it while you work

Yeah but when I am sitting on the ZTR mowing the ovals going round & round & round.................................:bike:

Bluey
23-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Yeah but when I am sitting on the ZTR mowing the ovals going round & round & round.................................:bike:

Then you can sit and say..... Ahhhhhhhh the serenity

Redeye
23-03-2016, 06:54 AM
l would've gone bonkers years ago without the radio to listen to....

steveo
23-03-2016, 08:27 PM
reminds me of that old sports tune.

Who listens to the radio?
That's what I'd like to know

Redeye
24-03-2016, 06:45 AM
thats what i'd like to know...

steveo
08-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Anyone know where to buy DAB radio ear muffs?

DavidS
08-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Do some of my best thinking while sitting on the rideon. If I had music it would disrupt my thinking. LOL

urbanpatch
08-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Second that. I much prefer DAB+. Great on the makita boom box. Just have to use the phone with tune in whilst on the noisy tools. Pity phone battery only lasts half a day.

Fred's mowing
08-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Anyone know where to buy DAB radio ear muffs?

Howard Leight, 7yrs ago I started this thread, Ive been through plenty of brands, these are by far the best radio earmuffs Ive had.

Cheers Fred.

steveo
09-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Howard Leight, 7yrs ago I started this thread, Ive been through plenty of brands, these are by far the best radio earmuffs Ive had.

Cheers Fred.

I have a pair of those Howard Leights already, but not DAB. From what I could see they don't do a pair that works on the DAB+ frequency (not your normal AM/FM band). I found a pair advertised in the uk but they don't ship here. http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/FM-DAB+-Radio-Ear-Defenders/Pr409984001 I thought there would be many choices in the US but can't find any which I find surprising.

Fred's mowing
09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
I have a pair of those Howard Leights already, but not DAB. From what I could see they don't do a pair that works on the DAB+ frequency (not your normal AM/FM band). I found a pair advertised in the uk but they don't ship here. http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/FM-DAB+-Radio-Ear-Defenders/Pr409984001 I thought there would be many choices in the US but can't find any which I find surprising.

Sorry Steveo, my mistake.
I thought that the digital in their ad meant DAB, it actually only means digital display. :doh.
I now remember listening & when the cricket came on (broadcast in non DAB) I lost my reg station.

From your link, it looks like the Howard Leighton DAB is available in FM only anyway ?

Cheers Fred.

geoff
09-01-2017, 07:44 PM
smart phone apps not good enough ??? being an old fcker i have 3aw all day on my iphone ....my latest plan has 10gig so no worries with download...

VJinTownsville
03-04-2017, 10:11 PM
I had howard leight earmuff headphones for $50 a pop. then both got stolen. For some reason the headband sits on top of my hat tight on the button and annoys the hell out of me.

The problem with that set up was that the 3.5mm aux cord would deteriorate very quickly from the sweat and movement and the sound quality (if you actually have sound some days). Plus the sweat channels straight into your phone and ruins it.

So I had a some old behind the ear peltor earmuffs that doesn't press on top of my head and installed helmet speakers from ebay about $10 a pair. The plug deteriorated quickly so I bought and replaced the plug with a solid one but the sweat ate through it.

Soooo...I got me one of those Bluetooth receivers to hardline into the speakers. You can get them from ebay or kmart but tricky to find the right ones. The battery gets abused if you use them 8hrs a day 5 days a week, so get one you can charge on the go or just replace them every couple of months.

So for maybe $40 to $50 you can get yourself a decent BLUETOOTH unit, just need to be handy with the electronic stuff and youtube/google tutorials. My advice is, get a crappy phone with decent storage and battery life and that will be your main music player and just leave your phone all sealed up not getting wet. I'm sure you can pick up an oldie for $100 with a tough case. The beauty with Bluetooth is its all sealed with no water, dirt or sweat ruining your device.

Also get a battery bank from ebay. The brand Romoss is great for about $30.