PDA

View Full Version : Which phone best for you

mowjoman
25-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Have had since starting over 2 years ago 4 phones. I find that the sweat from my face must stuff them up. If still under warrenty and you get it sent if indicators show water ingress not only wont telstra fix it under warrenty buy charge you $45 for the inconvienience of having a look at it. Bloody crooks. Anyway lashed out and bought the new tradies phone (T90). So far so good. Always just had el' cheapo's prior.

MowerRob
25-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Have had since starting over 2 years ago 4 phones. I find that the sweat from my face must stuff them up. If still under warrenty and you get it sent if indicators show water ingress not only wont telstra fix it under warrenty buy charge you $45 for the inconvienience of having a look at it. Bloody crooks. Anyway lashed out and bought the new tradies phone (T90). So far so good. Always just had el' cheapo's prior.

Have the Iphone just on 9 months has a protective cover its a great phone love the live weather radar and over all just a good phone

Islandhead
25-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Have the iphone too. Brilliant piece of kit. Like rob says the live weather is great. Can check emails, easily write notes on the go for customer requests and jobs or add them to the calendar and then sync it all up with the laptop when I get home. Play games in the ute when there is a shower passing, takes good pics of jobs you've just done, very happy with it. :)

Andy B
25-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Nokia sports phones, 5140i and forget what the other one is. Tough as but the better one doesn't have bluetooth. It does have compass, level, thermometer and decible reader though.

Wattle GC
26-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Just bought the new Nokia tradie phone..This can go underwater and you can hit it with a golf club..Had it 5 months and its ended up in the drink 4 times and has been run over with no problems..

Andy B
26-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Just bought the new Nokia tradie phone..This can go underwater and you can hit it with a golf club..Had it 5 months and its ended up in the drink 4 times and has been run over with no problems..

Sounds like the kind of phone I need, only question is does it find it's own way home when you lose it out on a bender?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Andy B
30-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey do any of you guys with the iphone have/use the ICCpay app???

I just read that it allows you to use your phone like a credit card terminal and it's $43.99... what's the catch? or is it as simple as it should be?

Bluey
30-03-2010, 07:14 PM

This sounds like just what I need WGC. I have killed countless phones. Does this have bluetooth and a camera. I need both.

Bluey
30-03-2010, 07:16 PM

I just read that it allows you to use your phone like a credit card terminal and it's $43.99... what's the catch? or is it as simple as it should be?

It costs you Andy. From what I understand lots of things are available on the iphone but it costs you to use a lot of the apps. Plus there is no way it would stand up to the hammering I give phones.

Andy B
30-03-2010, 07:19 PM
It costs you Andy. From what I understand lots of things are available on the iphone but it costs you to use a lot of the apps. Plus there is no way it would stand up to the hammering I give phones.

You and me both Bluey.

Islandhead
30-03-2010, 09:09 PM

The fee for the program is a one off $43.99. But to use it you have to have an internet merchant account or an account with a payment gateway (securepay or eway) I think they all have a yearly subscription and cost per transaction.

Whether or not it works out cheaper or more practical than an eftpos machine through the banks I don't know, you'll have to work out the numbers yourself
:)

DavidS
31-03-2010, 05:11 AM
I still have a Telstra Brick FTE 158, that I bought 3 years ago, it has been swimming, run over by a bobcat and a few rideon's, dropped, kicked covered with mud and had to be hosed down and even thrown. Still keeps working, battery is still the original and lasts for 3 days before it needs charging. It frightens the living daylights out of people and myself when it rings, I have it set for outdoor with AC DC Highway to Hell as the ring tone, it gets a few comments.

VJinTownsville
01-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Has anyone used the motorola defy? I hear its a tough smartphone for the tradie although Ive been getting mixed reviews

fairdinkum
01-04-2011, 05:10 AM
HTC Desire HD. Great Phone! I now use gmail calendar for my schedule and sync it to my phone. Awesome!

cmcfeeters
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Sonim XP3, 3 year unconditional replacement warranty. throw it against a brick wall, put it through the wash and still keeps going. if it does happen to break just take it back, they will replace it with out any questions asked.

cadase
01-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Ive got a Nokia OIC_UR12
If you loose the phone, just send a specially worded text from any phone and it will text back with the gps co-ordinates, also has google earth corporate, which can zoom in on an address and measure in imperial or metric the size of the front and rear lawns in m2,

Bluey
01-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Ive got a Nokia OIC_UR12
If you loose the phone, just send a specially worded text from any phone and it will text back with the gps co-ordinates, also has google earth corporate, which can zoom in on an address and measure in imperial or metric the size of the front and rear lawns in m2,

lol..yeah right and mine makes as the best coffee and gives you the next weeks lotto results

cadase
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Bluey;67357]lol..yeah right and mine makes as the best coffee and gives you the next weeks lotto results[/QUOTE
yep seen one of those today, i'm upgrading when my plan's up

Beaj
03-04-2011, 12:05 PM
HTC Desire HD. Great Phone! I now use gmail calendar for my schedule and sync it to my phone. Awesome!

Try Calengoo instead of your stock android calendar...its awesome. Get it at the app store

Brad

RSM-Gazza
04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
lol..yeah right and mine makes as the best coffee and gives you the next weeks lotto results

Bluey, can you PM me as to where I get one of your phones. Second thoughts, I may wait till FY11 for the next model release that chills beer in 30 sec's too.

MAGOO
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
i got the iphone 4 now on optus 99 plan

sweet, gets my emails on the fly, easy to read, you can add your customers and address and on click of button find them (play angry birds and other important games)

I have setup this, free with iphone 4. Can remote lock it, track it down, and even turn it on and make a noise if the dog hides it in the back yard

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

downside .. i now have to carry my phone in a snap lock bag...

geoff
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
well got me one of those iphone 4 the other day and even got the mrs one too..let me tell you the best piece of machinary i have ...finially getting up to speed with young ones now , maybe i will come out of the last century..hey who knows might even get a z turn to replace my tractors lol ..you never know

geoff1969
06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
well got me one of those iphone 4 the other day and even got the mrs one too..let me tell you the best piece of machinary i have ...finially getting up to speed with young ones now , maybe i will come out of the last century..hey who knows might even get a z turn to replace my tractors lol ..you never know

jeez geoff an i phone ..... next your going to tell us u have lowered the ute and put mags on it etc etc ....hahahahahaha

geoff
06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
jeez geoff an i phone ..... next your going to tell us u have lowered the ute and put mags on it etc etc ....hahahahahaha

yeah well me hilux probably would look a bit dicky if i did that but hey maybe the traler and ride ons would look great with mags lol

Bluey
06-04-2011, 10:20 PM
How long till you break it. I bet inside of 6 months. If your like me I kill fancy phones.

Dynamow
07-04-2011, 04:10 PM

Hi Jason

I got the same phone about two weeks ago and think its great. A bit fragile so i got the Otterbox Defender case.

I am still trying to figure out how everything works aspecially if you have to pay for the GOOGLE premium maps.

Just installed dropbox which is useful :thinking to keep necessary files at hand.

Cheers

Dave

Mick
07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
See if you can get Evernote! Great app that syncs with your PC. Highly rated!
http://www.evernote.com/

Hey Geoff, Have a look at Metroview app. Good cheap Navigation app with speech. Great for such a low price!

geoff
07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks Mick yeah it looks arwsome..
Hey Bluey these things you can buy a protective case for it so i reckon it will be ok..You know my first mobile phone 20 something years ago was a big brick and i mean it was bigger than that..geez it look funny strap onto the side of my belt..looked like a pack horse lol.

geoff
07-04-2011, 04:43 PM
See if you can get Evernote! Great app that syncs with your PC. Highly rated!
http://www.evernote.com/

Hey Geoff, Have a look at Metroview app. Good cheap Navigation app with speech. Great for such a low price!

Mick these iphones are terrific..chuck away me melways .....cant belive on how much you can run on this little thing...

Mick
07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Thats it Geoff. I love the iPhone!

An office and more in ya pocket. So many Apps for different things. They are fragile but I leave it in the ute while working.

Im just about finished my 2yr contract on a 3gs so will upgrade this year.
Ive read that iPhone 5 will be coming out this year so will probably wait for that. But thats just a timing thing.

Couple more Apps I use regularly are...
Consume
Photosync
GuitarToolkit
Rain Radar
Remote
Convert Units
Hurley Surf
Google

MikeS
07-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Got to say been using the Iphone for 2 years and its a winner for me, the calendar syncs with mine at home and online so all my jobs updated, all customer info and access to emails and of course Tom Tom for street navigation!

Mick
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I also use iCal for all my diary/scheduleing needs.

repooc
13-05-2011, 07:12 AM
We just went through the exercise of replacing my main cell phone. You can't even buy tradies phones over here in Kiwiland anymore. No one sells them, 'course we pretty much only have 3 carriers; Vodafone, Telecom & 2 degrees. So we ended up going with the cheapest toughest throw away Nokia we could get, $50 on trademe.
Not very hi tech I know but it does what we need.

imoww
14-09-2011, 05:05 PM
After 3 buggered bloody iPhones with Optus, ( Hardly any coverage) I went to Telstra. And they gave me this phone called a Motorola Defy.?????
Aparrently they drop this mobile into water and throw it down to test how tough it is???
I don't care. I just needed a bloody mobile ...
Does anyone know anything about these mobiles?

Neil&family
14-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I got a Nokia C5-03 for about $240 outright. not such a big target in the top pocket as an Iphone or the like. Does everything i want it to do as i'm not hung up on all the fancy **** that phones do.It's touch screen and my 4 year old can use it. I'm through TPG which uses Optus and costs me a total of $19 a month. I get just under $300 talk and text and 1 gig of data. Cheap as and i never use all the credit.

NLALM
14-09-2011, 06:01 PM
After 3 buggered bloody iPhones with Optus, ( Hardly any coverage) I went to Telstra. And they gave me this phone called a Motorola Defy.?????
Aparrently they drop this mobile into water and throw it down to test how tough it is???
I don't care. I just needed a bloody mobile ...
Does anyone know anything about these mobiles?

Yeah mate I've had a defy for about 12 months no problems as yet. I have never had a phone last 2 years so hopefully this one will. I did buy one of those silicon skins for it

Thistle
14-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Iv'e had my defy since June no prolems as yet water resistant shock proof dropped it twice still working i bought a leather case for extra protection my last phone had condensation on the screen & stuffed the mother board also find coverage good & easy to use

Tom

imoww
16-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Cool guys.
glad to hear im not the only one with a defy.
how do you keep a callendar updated on it?
i need to put jobs in a callendar

edbeek
17-09-2011, 04:56 PM
My current basic phone is almost shagged and without going into great detail, looks like a smartphone would be an economical replacement.

The plan (Telstra) includes 2GB of data which I don't think I would use through the phone, but I've heard you can use the phone as a modem for the home lappie/pc.

Has anybody done this?
My home internet connection is NextG wireless with good performance so the normal pitfalls of wireless broadband shouldn't worry me here.

GrowCutMow
17-09-2011, 05:05 PM
2 GB isn't much these days for home use, you need to be careful you won't go over and get charged heaps because you are using your phone as a modem. I have had an iphone for 2 years now and didn't think I would use data away from home, but I use it all the time. I look up the weather radar to see how close the rain is, I look up new addresses and use the yellow pages just to name a few.

edbeek
17-09-2011, 05:28 PM
hi GCM, My home broadband plan is only 3 GB/mth and I've never been close to shaped, so not a heavy internet user.

I was even thinking of downgrading my home plan if I could use the phone data :)

courty
26-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I just upgraded to the iPhone5 from the old 3GS,love it.
Only cost me a few bucks a month more than what I pay now and I ended up with a bigger cap as well.I was thinking of buying one outright but it is actually cheaper to get them on a plan these days.

imoww
26-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Guys with the Motorola defy...
I droped my mobile and smashed the screen. Telstra wont replace it. Not covered under any warrananty.
I replaced the screene for around $20 . Looked on youtube for instructions to replace the digitizer and screene... Too easy. Took me 20 minutes...

Redeye
26-09-2012, 09:34 PM
pretty hilarious watching the gruen transfer tonight taking the piss out of apple tragics lol

GardeningSolutions
21-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Im due for a new smart phone. Had the Motorola defy plus and contracts up. Has anyone any views on the Sony Xperia Z 1 (waterproof), Samsung Galaxy 4 mini, or the HTC 1 mini?

GardeningSolutions
21-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Im due for a new smart phone. Had the Motorola defy plus and contracts up. Has anyone any views on the Sony Xperia Z 1 (waterproof), Samsung Galaxy 4 mini, or the HTC 1 mini?

Redeye
21-10-2013, 07:33 PM
got a galaxy s4 mini a week or 2 ago, loving it so far....

GardeningSolutions
21-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Redeye. What do you do with the phone when youre working. Have it on you or leave it in the ute? These things are getting bloody huge. Keen to hear actually how robust it is. While internet access is a must need on the job these days, I find it annoying that there aren't many options when it comes to trades style phones.

Redeye
21-10-2013, 08:52 PM
it lives in my pocket - got the mini due to size of the full size galaxy s4 (will never own an iphone) it is in a tough case and screen protector......time will tell

PaulG
21-10-2013, 10:13 PM
A tip with any Smartphone - keep it in the pocket that has the least proximity to sweat. Don't know whether to believe or not but they are supposedly that sensitive to moisture that even sweat can activate the moisture indicator strip inside the phones and can be used as the basis for a warranty decline on a repair based on water damage. So I was told.

troppo
22-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Just got myself my first smartphone the other day. Chose the new Telstra Dave, designed specifically for tradies etc. Will see how it goes.

GardeningSolutions
22-10-2013, 07:56 AM
A tip with any Smartphone - keep it in the pocket that has the least proximity to sweat. Don't know whether to believe or not but they are supposedly that sensitive to moisture that even sweat can activate the moisture indicator strip inside the phones and can be used as the basis for a warranty decline on a repair based on water damage. So I was told.

A problem I have with the Motorola defy is that when in my pocket against my leg it gets hot and the battery runs down quickly so it shuts down. Battery life is a PITA on this phone.

Stripes
22-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Battery life is a PITA on this phone.
Same with iPhones. The battery just doesn't last if you are using the phone. Mine regularly dies before the day is out if I'm not charging it between jobs.

SunM
22-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Another one with pockets and sweat. Some days, especially hot humid days, it can leave a mark on your leg. I've gotten home before after having my phone in my pocket all day and theres a big red mark that doesn't go away for hours.

johnnie5
22-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Battery life is a PITA on this phone.

a few things that can help with battery life

wifi and bluetooth , not using them turn them off

turn down the screen brightness , this makes a massive difference to battery life

Mow And Go
22-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Cant recommend the Motorola razrHD enough. Good batt life, good functionality, good capacity etc

Redeye
22-10-2013, 07:54 PM
..... Some days, especially hot humid days, it can leave a mark on your leg. I've gotten home before ..... and theres a big red mark that doesn't go away for hours.

yes, I know your pain.....:FU

HPM
22-10-2013, 08:48 PM

This moisture indicator strip is the biggest rip off scam ever.
My wife had an Apple iPhone 4S for a few months, never even came close to water and after it got the blue screen of death she returned it only to be told it's not covered by warranty because the moisture strip was activated..

imoww
05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Ive had enough of the iPhone issues. SOS, no reception etc etc.
Ive read on the net that iPhones are having a real issue with this.
Something to do with switching from 3G to 4G all the time.
Apple upgraded their system to version 7. Once we upgraded, we cannot go back.
Allot of iPhone 5's are having this issue also.
Ive put the sim card into the old Motorola defy. Ten times better.
The battery lasts for ever.
No more bloody contracts etc.

courty
05-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I have run iPhones since the 3G and never ever had a problem.
My 5 now lives in a Lifeproof water/dust and drop proof case,not so much for work but when I'm on the water .

edbeek
04-09-2015, 09:24 PM
My Motorola Defy+ has been playing up for a while. Had to put it on speaker to hear anything & my voice was then hard to understand.
So I thought I'd put the sim into an old Nokia as I don't use the fancy stuff much anyway.

Well, one text sent without the touch screen, and I was in the Telstra shop. :)
Got myself a Telstra Tough Max. Geez they are getting big again. Might be a good thing with my old bulbs fading lately.

Arfa Brayne
04-09-2015, 10:38 PM
I love my old Nokia brick phone.
It's really funny watching the kids try to send a text on it.
Even funnier watching them try to turn it on by swiping the screen.
It doesn't need a case or screen protector - it's a brick
It doesn't need waterproofing - if you drown it ya just leave it on the dashboard in the sun for a while
It runs a week on a single charge, you can hear it ring over the whippy/mower and it rattles your teeth on vibrate.
But most importantly- it does as it's bloody told. (instead of throwing tantrums after getting the latest update and telling YOU what it's going to do regardless of what you want)
Currently surviving over 10 years of neglect and will most likely still be plodding on when the rest of you have gone through another dozen girly phones.

steveo
05-09-2015, 09:05 PM
I love my old Nokia brick phone.
It's really funny watching the kids try to send a text on it.
Even funnier watching them try to turn it on by swiping the screen.
It doesn't need a case or screen protector - it's a brick
It doesn't need waterproofing - if you drown it ya just leave it on the dashboard in the sun for a while
It runs a week on a single charge, you can hear it ring over the whippy/mower and it rattles your teeth on vibrate.
But most importantly- it does as it's bloody told. (instead of throwing tantrums after getting the latest update and telling YOU what it's going to do regardless of what you want)
Currently surviving over 10 years of neglect and will most likely still be plodding on when the rest of you have gone through another dozen girly phones.

And the screen doesn't break when you sit on it (like I did to my smart phone the first day I had it). Can you still buy batteries for old bricks when they no longer hold charge? The thing I couldn't do without on the smart phone is the contacts database and how it allows you to search for a contact and then with one touch bring up the address location on a map.

imoww
05-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Update on my mobile. I got the iphone5s. got a contractors case on it. water resistant, shock proof and drop proof. so far so good. ive dropped it at least 3 times a week. hedge trimmers hitting it inside my pocket when im on a ladder and rain... Still works a treat.
I run my business on the mobile. so i need the fancy stuff.

geoff
05-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Update on my mobile. I got the iphone5s. got a contractors case on it. water resistant, shock proof and drop proof. so far so good. ive dropped it at least 3 times a week. hedge trimmers hitting it inside my pocket when im on a ladder and rain... Still works a treat.
I run my business on the mobile. so i need the fancy stuff.
gotta agree even this old man goes with technology i have the iphone 6 does all for me have the tradie case ,does my emails invoices..even tells me when the customer has paid through an alert,, etc couldn't do with out it...my first phone in 1988 was a telstra brick and it was the size of a brick..then went for power with the transportable ,the size of a lap top computor... lol smart phones in business really are essential the number of times i receive an email quote request and i can reply straight away ..my major customers are always emailing for extra work and love the fact i can respond within mins ...have to go with the flow to survive

imoww
23-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Damn apple have stuffed me up. I had to update the iPhone but now my computer is too old to update the latest version of iTunes. So now I'm going to android.
Anyone know about Telstra Tough Max

imoww
23-12-2015, 08:09 PM
How's the Telstra Tough Max going?

My Motorola Defy+ has been playing up for a while. Had to put it on speaker to hear anything & my voice was then hard to understand.
So I thought I'd put the sim into an old Nokia as I don't use the fancy stuff much anyway.

Well, one text sent without the touch screen, and I was in the Telstra shop. :)
Got myself a Telstra Tough Max. Geez they are getting big again. Might be a good thing with my old bulbs fading lately.

djkgrounds
23-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I have been eyeing these off, there a lot of good reviews on them:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191599564891?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

djkgrounds
23-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Also now considering one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LG118-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Smart-Watch-Wrist-for-Android-iPhone-Samsung-Galaxy-2/191620361622?rt=nc&_soffid=200&_soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

edbeek
23-12-2015, 08:58 PM
How's the Telstra Tough Max going?

I'm not a big user of all the features, but it goes ok. I've dropped it several times and it hasn't broken.
I used to be able to fumble my way around my old android phones, but this one doesn't seem to be as straightforward. Still have to look up the user manual. That might be more me than the phone though.

I often hit the switch to look at the time, and instead of going back to sleep, it often starts doing its own thing in my pocket. It'll ring people up, look up websites etc . I thought it had In Pocket detection, but I cant find it.

Mick
24-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Damn apple have stuffed me up. I had to update the iPhone but now my computer is too old to update the latest version of iTunes. So now I'm going to android.
Anyone know about Telstra Tough Max

You should have an icloud account right? You should be able to back up to that and update without even plugging into the computer. That was a change apple made some time ago.

Redeye
24-12-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of these for the awesome battery, features and price http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015XIHS62

troppo
24-12-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm thinking of getting one of these for the awesome battery, features and price http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015XIHS62

Looks really good value for dollar. Only problem I see is the USA charger (easily fixed with an adapter though). I have a Telstra Dave and found it to be a general POS.