PDA

View Full Version : lawn robots ?

Wattle GC
26-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Guys.
There is a serious growing trend in Europe with lawn Robots and its heading our way.These are remote lawn mowing machines which are guided around the yard with perimeter wire and when they need to re-charge they park themselves in a charging station and then start all over again 24/7 making the lawnie a bit redundant.

Husquvana are spending big bucks in this area and although the availability is a bit limited in Australia however the technology will get cheaper in the next couple of years making it viable for the average punter.The units retail anywhere between 2 and 6k and although there will always be room for us lawnies our income could be hurt badly in the near future.

We will have to be more diverse and or run with the technology of the future and work out ways to make $$$ out of it..I would not reach for a gun or jump off a cliff just yet but its worth keeping an eye on this fast growing market in europe and the UK.

Has anyone used or come across any of these.?? I know Husky are selling them here now and more are comming..There is a good article about them in the latest contractor landscape magazine.

Andy B
26-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Like the robot vacuum cleaners... never seen one, I hope it stays that way with the robot lawnies. If it does however, we'll have to become the installers etc.

Andy B
26-03-2010, 08:35 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and it would only take one to go mad and cut up a few garden pets and we'll be back in business. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

administrator
26-03-2010, 08:47 AM
When you see one just nick it lol put it on your own lawn so you got more time to cut others .

I wouldnt worry about Robot mowers when they come up with real robots (i robot will smith )then get worried .

They make remote control lawnmowers as well .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzA9iuVOdw

A commercial remote lawnmower
http://www.evatech.net/
see pic below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDHMyWYSecw&feature=player_embedded# Mower pulls car

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
26-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Guys.
There is a serious growing trend in Europe with lawn Robots and its heading our way.These are remote lawn mowing machines which are guided around the yard with perimeter wire and when they need to re-charge they park themselves in a charging station and then start all over again 24/7 making the lawnie a bit redundant.

Husquvana are spending big bucks in this area and although the availability is a bit limited in Australia however the technology will get cheaper in the next couple of years making it viable for the average punter.The units retail anywhere between 2 and 6k and although there will always be room for us lawnies our income could be hurt badly in the near future.

We will have to be more diverse and or run with the technology of the future and work out ways to make $$$ out of it..I would not reach for a gun or jump off a cliff just yet but its worth keeping an eye on this fast growing market in europe and the UK.

Has anyone used or come across any of these.?? I know Husky are selling them here now and more are comming..There is a good article about them in the latest contractor landscape magazine.

They have been around for a while the ones i seen have a solar panel on the top. thing is they go hit the wire and then turn you have to every now and then mow properly as they leave gaps and dont like high grass.

Andy B
26-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey what about those tracks for self propelled mowers, that should stop wheel spin in the wet... Arfa next mod? :)

ian
26-03-2010, 06:00 PM
the newest one i've heard of is the bigmow by belrobotics it's supposed to do up to 20 ha [50 acres]

holdenhead
26-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Lawn Robots......Thats old news. Been around for 100's of years. Yes they are kept in by a wire fence and the recharge station is called a barn. They are called Sheep. :p

Cheers Rick