PDA

View Full Version : Do your own maintenance?

Fred's mowing
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I just spent a bit of time over easter fixing machines that have been put to one side.
Does everyone do their own maintenance?
When do u do it? Do u set time aside or just do it when u can?
Or do u do a little on the job :russ: .
Do u have a reliable/honest repair shop?
Does anyone have a policy on how much a repair is worth, as apposed to the cost of the machine?
What do u do????
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
As you know I've been at it less than a year, I service my old rover but I have my honda done at a shop. My local shops cost $70+p/hr and $60+ p/hr and parts on top of that.

Still learning but will probably do it myself when I'm familiar enough to know what's what and how it works. The other week the stop switch on my honda wasn't opening back up but now I know that's another think to check if it ever doesn't want to start again.

MowerRob
05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I just spent a bit of time over easter fixing machines that have been put to one side.
Does everyone do their own maintenance?
When do u do it? Do u set time aside or just do it when u can?
Or do u do a little on the job :russ: .
Do u have a reliable/honest repair shop?
Does anyone have a policy on how much a repair is worth, as apposed to the cost of the machine?
What do u do????
Cheers Dean.

I do my own maintenance usually do it every second Sat morn depending on how much to do usually takes 1-2 hrs. That is also doing general maintenance oil filters etc.

I carry a fair few spare parts on board so I can just quickly fix something on site. I carry spare pull starts for all machines so A quick couple bolts and im back on my way. Then repair the broken ones on the Sat

I have use the one mower shop from day one and get along very well with them. We actually do all there pruning for them and got invited to the clipsal race in their corporate tent. If I need something fixed they usually fix it there and then if possible (if parts and time available)

If something is broken I will look at how old the machine is what I paid for it and how much the part is going to cost. So if the part isnt to much I will fix it but if I think it is excessive I will get a new machine and use the old one for spares.

I can do about 95% of all repairs I can rebuild a whole Honda 216 apart from motor internals. I will usually put a new deck on after 2 years ( and anything else it needs for a refresher if it fits in the budget wheels etc). Once the mower is 4 years old motor is pretty tired so time for new machine and either break old one down for spares or sell off thru ebay.

I also buy a lot of second hand stuff on ebay for spares or to clean up and sell off for a profit(bit of a hobby and learning tool).

Over the years I have been in the industry my expenses have come dramatically from fixing my own machine and knowing how to care for them a lot better, plus the discount I get from the mower shop on machines and spares.

How I learnt to repair my stuff was to go into the mowers workshop and watch what they did and also You Tube has some great videos on fixing all machines

Cheers
Rob

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I do the maintance my self took my mower to honda once $360 bill said no do it myself from now on. I try to change the oils fortnightly but some times its too busy and they go a little longer. Blades i check and replace when i see there worn. IAir Filter gets blown every morning and when i change oils i wash it out completly foam in petrol and the rest washed with a house i have 6 filters and 2 machines so there is plenty spare and if one looks to dirty of a morning when i go to blow it i just put a new(cleaned) one in.

GreenHaven
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
i try to do as much of my machinery work myself as i can every friday i'll blow of my machinery with the compressor and clean/check the air filters oil levels and what not check everythings working well and every three months i do oil changes on all the machinery clean the spark plugs drain the float bowls make sure everything sweet. You can get small engine manuals that show you how to do everything with honda engines and others also have good trouble shooting and what not valuable referance to have

MOWON
05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I do my own maintenance usually do it every second Sat morn depending on how much to do usually takes 1-2 hrs. That is also doing general maintenance oil filters etc.

Over the years I have been in the industry my expenses have come dramatically from fixing my own machine and knowing how to care for them a lot better, plus the discount I get from the mower shop on machines and spares.

How I learnt to repair my stuff was to go into the mowers workshop and watch what they did and also You Tube has some great videos on fixing all machines

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob
Also, I also do my maintenance every 2nd Saturday.
I find the top end motors are so reliable these days and with regular maintenance they last for years. (Especially cleaning air filter oil changes)

Only thing that annoys me that all the labour on my machines is not a tax deduction,just parts.

I find once one of my engines gets close to needing new rings I flick it off to a home owner and tell him/her this has had commercial use but should last you for years.

Or if the body is good I stick on a new donk which I can deduct of my taxes
:laughing: :laughing:
It's like your computer Lawnies - Back up, back up,back up.
My latest project is trying to find a big grunty engine (Tim the Tool Man Taylor ) to put on my Rover Base (old Rover as new ones are crap) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MowerRob
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Rob

Only thing that annoys me that all the labour on my machines is not a tax deduction,just parts.

yes but only being able to get 30cents in the $$$ back doing it for free is a lot better oh and the fact u dont have to outlay any money(parts excluded)

but even doing all ya maintenance for free u should still be putting this into your hrly rate for your client. If a customer asks why so much u can say insurance maintenance etc.(but usually if a potential clients queries my hrly rate they arent a client suited to me)

When im doing my books I take all expenses and time I spend in and on my business and that is how I work what hrly rate I want.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
yes but only being able to get 30cents in the $$$ back doing it for free is a lot better oh and the fact u dont have to outlay any money(parts excluded)

but even doing all ya maintenance for free u should still be putting this into your hrly rate for your client. If a customer asks why so much u can say insurance maintenance etc.(but usually if a potential clients queries my hrly rate they arent a client suited to me)

When im doing my books I take all expenses and time I spend in and on my business and that is how I work what hrly rate I want.

Yeah but the hard bit is trying to get the customer pay that amount.

MowerRob
05-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah but the hard bit is trying to get the customer pay that amount.

Quality, reliability and good explanation of job description usually gets in before we start talking about price. Majority of my quotes by time we have talked discuss job when we will do etc , we then talk about price and by then they dont seem to mind.

Fred's mowing
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
For those who do their own maintenance, do yourself a favor. Get a Triton superjaws. Magnificent at holding 2 stoke machinery that your working on. Work from any angle, perfect height & will hold your tool firmly (no pun intended :D )
Cheers Dean.

Wattle GC
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Yep do all my own..Being an Aircraft and motor mechanic helps..TAFE do a general maintenance / mechanic course..I know because I used to teach it..Lots of women in the class as well..

You need to know the basics at least and you will save $$$$$

PaulG
08-04-2010, 06:38 PM
TAFE do a general maintenance / mechanic course..

Is this a small engines course?

administrator
08-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Triton superjaw

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/clamps/84k4105s1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx%3Fc%3D1%26cat%3D1,43838%26p%3D55077&h=300&w=281&sz=74&tbnid=tw3fjOBRBM6NHM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTriton%2Bsuperjaws%2Bpic&usg=__MFw_f_dXEU1PM9Dn7ameDS5i158=&ei=-Zu9S_zzMYyA7QPRt_3DCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&ved=0CA8Q9QEwAQ

johnnie5
10-04-2010, 12:26 PM

try the local community colleges night courses they do all sorts of small basic short courses

MOWON
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah that's true MowerRob.
But for routine maintenance, why should a contractor take a machine in for something simple like , blade sharpening, blade changing,carb adjustments, recon gearboxes or just trivial stuff.
I find using top end engines like Honda or the latest 850 Briggs/Stratton there are no problems apart from regular oil and filter changes .
These motors go for years.
Look after your machines and they go for years.
I find for tax purposes once an engine has worn out" replace it" on the same body and you can claim the entire cost in the same year. which is far more on claiming depreciation over a number of years
My hourly rate is $30 - $40( Cheap here) minimum but the mower shops charge about $60+
And believe me they are crooks
Cheers Mike
And they rip you off by using no nothing apprentices

simo
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
If you don`t mind me asking MOWON where you from ??Thanks

MOWON
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
If you don`t mind me asking MOWON where you from ??Thanks

Hi Simo
:wave-hi: :wave-hi:
This is the second time I have tried to post answer.
My Avatar is a kiwi flag.
I am a contractor working in Auckland New Zealand (16 years).
My relies live there. (Aussie)
I have worked in Melbourne, Woolongong, and Brisbane and now work back here.
Some of my Rellies are Aussie Nationals.
I want to move back there but I cannot due to family commitments.
Admin for some reason hates Kiwis and calls them benefit bludgers.
No bludgers in my family
There is no forum here (NZ) that gives wanna be indes the in depth information at no cost.
Contractors advice is worth a hundred times more than dealers pushing their product.

I check out this forum most days and find the banter between contractors from Aussie, the odd Pom etc is quite relaxing after a hard days mowing

What I have found though there could be a large number of Kiwis whom might worry about posting because of sheep jokes (don't care myself)

This is why I post under the general forum and not the Kiwi forum.

Message to Ian
I have sent 400 of my sheep crew to underprice all your lawns ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

63impala
02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Light them sheep up with the 50cal... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MOWON
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Light them sheep up with the 50cal... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

do not need a 50 cal. - 63 impala
If I SAY MOW /eat the girls obey :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

After your last post I have started to name my flock

;frosty; ;frosty;

Bambi has now become my favourite.

63impala
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Do you really have sheep....not joking...

Wattle GC
03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

No its a general maintenance mechanical course.. Generally based around cars but the principles are the same and you can bring in your equipment and work on it under supervision ..Its a good fun course and will get you up to speed with maitenance and soon enough you will be a gun and able to save heaps on small repairs and maintenance.. Its worth it..