PDA

View Full Version : Good lawn mower in wet/ BUSHRANGER LAWNMOWER ROVER LAWNMOWER WHICH MOWER

danz
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Guys, What is good self propelled mower that can handle abit of damp grass i have had enough of the honda 216 chokin up etc, I have to get my old Mtd mower out when its wet and its on its way out

Wombat Garden Services
09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
The rover procut 560 is supposed to cut really well in the wet & has a full shute i think, they aren't common around here though & there's no local dealer or I would buy one.

danz
09-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah i always read the Rovers are pretty good... i might start keeping a eye out, thanks for that mate

geoff
09-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I keep saying it bushrangers rule in the wet..theres no comparsion .

The Local Gardener
09-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I keep saying it bushrangers rule in the wet..theres no comparsion .

Buy a Goat, lol, why mow when lawns are wet? :i dunno: :p

Wattle GC
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
The rover procut 560 is supposed to cut really well in the wet & has a full shute i think, they aren't common around here though & there's no local dealer or I would buy one.

DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER..I own one..Here is why..

They are good mower in the wet and they cut very clean and the deck size is great good power from the 6.5 Briggs.They are EXTREMLY high maintenance.The rear drive system does not like wet grass and it will eventually sieze on you and lock the rear wheels even though you have followed the owners manual and lubricated every dam bit of it and maintained it perfectly.

It will let you down without warning and once this happens you cannot get it to work in the field.The rear drive needs to be totally stripped down and fully lubricated by hand and grease.This is very frustrating and after doing this several times I can tell now when its about to fail and pull it apart before it happens in the field.

The latest design is a little better than 560's a year ago but still not good.So unless you are a mechanic like me I would not buy this mower..I use this on dry lawns only and pull it apart religiously every 2-3 months so i dont get caught..Rover are aware of the problem but do little about it ..I bought this mower after reading reports and much reasearch however no one keeps testing them 6 months down the track and this is when this problem arose.

Because i paid 2k for this thing and mowers are not worth much 2nd hand Im stuck with it but will talk as many contractors out of this mower as much as I can..

geoff
09-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Buy a Goat, lol, why mow when lawns are wet? :i dunno: :p
mate dunno how long you have been mowing lawns but sometimes , not often in melbourne by the way , but there are days of raining wet grass , dew from the cold night , cant stay home and not earn momey because the lawns are wet..its funny when customers often ring especially the new ones, the y say its raining the grass is wet .you cant mow ...just say leave it to the pro and watch them drop the bottom jaw when you have mown the wet grass with no mess..easy to do with patience and experience , but any one can do it wit hthe right stuff and patience

administrator
09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Wattle GC
That feedback is worth its weight in gold thankyou for posting that review .

Excellent . :russ:

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3384

Redeye
09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Bushranger 530SP

administrator
09-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Redeye how much did you pay for the Bushranger 530SP

Redeye
09-04-2010, 09:27 PM
$990, it was the last of their floor stock normal rrp was $1200.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I have find mowing in the wet was ok it was when it was only half wet or heavy dew that i seem to have a problem with the honda mowing. Yes i have had customers tell me you cant mow its too wet. only time it becomes too wet in my books is when your wheels start leaving tracks this happened to me early feb after lots of heavy rain lost a couple of customers (possibly) over this but both where first time i ever mowed there place and i think they where just trying to use someone as they didnt want to go in the rain and it was a good excuse to try and refuse to pay. They both did the guy who was the second one he needed a little convincing if you know what i mean.

TOO EASY YARD CARE
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER..I own one..Here is why..

They are good mower in the wet and they cut very clean and the deck size is great good power from the 6.5 Briggs.They are EXTREMLY high maintenance.The rear drive system does not like wet grass and it will eventually sieze on you and lock the rear wheels even though you have followed the owners manual and lubricated every dam bit of it and maintained it perfectly.

It will let you down without warning and once this happens you cannot get it to work in the field.The rear drive needs to be totally stripped down and fully lubricated by hand and grease.This is very frustrating and after doing this several times I can tell now when its about to fail and pull it apart before it happens in the field.

The latest design is a little better than 560's a year ago but still not good.So unless you are a mechanic like me I would not buy this mower..I use this on dry lawns only and pull it apart religiously every 2-3 months so i dont get caught..Rover are aware of the problem but do little about it ..I bought this mower after reading reports and much reasearch however no one keeps testing them 6 months down the track and this is when this problem arose.

Because i paid 2k for this thing and mowers are not worth much 2nd hand Im stuck with it but will talk as many contractors out of this mower as much as I can..

i have had this mower for 3 years now and never has this problem and at this point am looking a replacing the old brigs with a new kawazki because it has been so reliable i have worn out the motor before anything on the mower i cant speak highly enuff about this mower..............

The Local Gardener
09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
mate dunno how long you have been mowing lawns but sometimes , not often in melbourne by the way , but there are days of raining wet grass , dew from the cold night , cant stay home and not earn momey because the lawns are wet..its funny when customers often ring especially the new ones, the y say its raining the grass is wet .you cant mow ...just say leave it to the pro and watch them drop the bottom jaw when you have mown the wet grass with no mess..easy to do with patience and experience , but any one can do it wit hthe right stuff and patience

maybe a sheep as well ;frosty; ;frosty;

geoff
09-04-2010, 10:04 PM
very f@cken funny tlg ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty; :who-knows :p ;dealers;

danz
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I agree Geoff in Vic you don't have much of a choice sometimes you have to mow when damp and wet, by the way i dont mean soaking TLG... I will be looking at a bushranger for sure Geoff actually i think we maybe have discussed this before on the forum and you told me about the Bushrangers, my memory is shockin..What shops stock them downtown?

ian
09-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I agree Geoff in Vic you don't have much of a choice sometimes you have to mow when damp and wet, by the way i dont mean soaking TLG... I will be looking at a bushranger for sure Geoff actually i think we maybe have discussed this before on the forum and you told me about the Bushrangers, my memory is shockin..What shops stock them downtown?
go to plp (http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/products.html) and they have a find a dealer tab just enter your post code and it should show you the nearest one

danz
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the Info Ian...

danz
09-04-2010, 11:11 PM
hahah ****hot it says my local mower shop has them.. i were only there yesterday i'll be asking about them... thanks again for that ian good site

administrator
10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Bushranger Mower 530sp

http://www.macarthurmowersandmarine.com.au/Bush%20Ranger%20530SP%20Self%20Propelled%20Mower/slides/CIMG8306.html

http://www.macarthurmowersandmarine.com.au/PushMowers.htm

Redeye
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Just been looking at Macarthur Mowers website,the Masport 700 self-propelled looks awful like the Bushy 530SP. The masport has mulching, just wondering if the mulch plug (I'm assuming it has one) will fit the Bushranger?

just john
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
i have the bushranger 21'' 6hp push mower ,it throws the grass into the catcher so well wet or dry that sometimes its a hassle to empty because the catcher is so well packed :i dunno:

danz
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Ok i have decided that is the mower i am getting... thanks for the cool site/pics admin christ that kwaka motor is ugly but ay where not here for looks

MOWON
10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Wattle GC]DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER..I own one..Here is why..

It will let you down without warning and once this happens you cannot get it to work in the field.The rear drive needs to be totally stripped down and fully lubricated by hand and grease.

Hi Wattle
I might have to go out to my garage and check but I am sure my Rover is a ProCut S/D running a B/s.
Mind you this one is about 6 years old and my old one before I sold it must be about 10 years old (still going except it's uses oil.

The new Rovers are rubbish.

:i dunno: :i dunno:

These are excellent wet grass catcher mowers due to an unobstructed shute ( as compared to the Honda)

My one has a double chain set up and cork clutch and except for reducing the rear chain by half a link once rear chain adjustment is gone I do nothing.

The first one I drilled a hole in the chain cover to lubricate .
But my 6 year old I do nothing except for checking the DRIVE pawls and cleaning plus general maintenance etc. Totally happy.

On the other hand I do have 3-4 catcher mowers so this is not used every day.

In fact I am going out to garage now as I think my Rover 560 (push) was the one I sold as it was useless in the wet.

Can you tell what greasing you do ??
Not the drive cogs I hope??
Cheers Mike :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Wattle GC
12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
i have had this mower for 3 years now and never has this problem and at this point am looking a replacing the old brigs with a new kawazki because it has been so reliable i have worn out the motor before anything on the mower i cant speak highly enuff about this mower..............

No doubt there are contractors and domestic uses who have this mower and have little problems.I can only tell of my experiances and the many people and contractors who use this mower I have spoken to about this tell me its a common problem and Rover tend to agree..The mower itself is a good unit however the rear drive has always been a problem and this to me has let this mower down significantly and has cost me money...
Rover has changed the drive motor location in the new model just released and it seems more protected and would possibly be more reliable but i do not intend to spend another 2k to find out..Rover have lost me as a customer and i would never buy another one..

Wattle GC
12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Wattle GC]DO NOT BUY THIS MOWER..I own one..Here is why..

It will let you down without warning and once this happens you cannot get it to work in the field.The rear drive needs to be totally stripped down and fully lubricated by hand and grease.

Hi Wattle
I might have to go out to my garage and check but I am sure my Rover is a ProCut S/D running a B/s.
Mind you this one is about 6 years old and my old one before I sold it must be about 10 years old (still going except it's uses oil.

The new Rovers are rubbish.

:i dunno: :i dunno:

These are excellent wet grass catcher mowers due to an unobstructed shute ( as compared to the Honda)

My one has a double chain set up and cork clutch and except for reducing the rear chain by half a link once rear chain adjustment is gone I do nothing.

The first one I drilled a hole in the chain cover to lubricate .
But my 6 year old I do nothing except for checking the DRIVE pawls and cleaning plus general maintenance etc. Totally happy.

On the other hand I do have 3-4 catcher mowers so this is not used every day.

In fact I am going out to garage now as I think my Rover 560 (push) was the one I sold as it was useless in the wet.

Can you tell what greasing you do ??
Not the drive cogs I hope??
Cheers Mike :wave-hi: :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Hi Mowon..
I use a a heavy duty waterproof Molybond grease used in Industrial chain drives ..My 560 only has a single chain drive and i beleive this is the problem as the dual chain can handle it a lot better and does not seize as easy...The mower drive is junk and a very poor design with odd size nuts and bolts and its a shame becuase the mower is a good thing otherwise.

administrator
12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I think they should have demo models for contractors they tell you its a great machine yes picks up in the wet and makes you a coffee but when you use it well doesnt live up to what they told you .
Ride on mowers especially fall down in this area .

holdenhead
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Bushranger!!!!! I dont think it is posible to catch more grass than this mower can catch. Wet grass is no issue.

Cheers Rick

Andy B
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok i have decided that is the mower i am getting... thanks for the cool site/pics admin christ that kwaka motor is ugly but ay where not here for looks

I thought it looked mean. Is that the oil filter on it's left hand side?

Anjaryan
12-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I have Bushranger, excellent in the wet, last two days I have been mowing in the rain and it didnt miss a thing.

Down side is the supplier I bought it from has now decided to stop servicing or supplying parts so i now have to source elsewhere.

I have spoken to dean and he has had trouble finding blade suppliers for the thing too.

Even though its good in the wet if i cant get parts for it its and expensive paper weight.

Wombat Garden Services
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Im not sure if this is any help but :i dunno:

http://mail.rgs.com.au/program/OptionsOnline.exe?TARGET_FORM=CATBROWSE&SESSION_ID=061631041&CHECKPARENT=Y&GROUP=M%20BNC%20BUSH&CRUMB=0001072907300259

administrator
12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Pritty sure the Bushranger blades are same as Masport

Fits: Masport 19” (485mm)
cut MSV “Beast” rear catcher
models. Stepped blades with
domed bolt hole & formed flute

Length 4 1/4” 108mm
Width 1 3/4” 44mm
Hole size 1/2” 13mm

is that the ones you are looking for

Tip :all swing back blades are measured from center of hole to tip.

Or is this one

Fits: PLP 21” (533mm) cut
Bushranger rear catcher models
up to 2008.
Stepped blades with domed bolt
hole & formed flute, skin packed
for display.
Blade & Bolt Combo Pack option
order BNC6532
BBN5095 4 3/4”
120mm
1 3/4”
44mm
1/2”
13mm

Anjaryan
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Not that one admin, the old decks are masport, but newer are stihl viking

size is
Length 89mm
Width 50mm
Hole 13mm

Part No# is BNC5881

gaspares have them but wont sell to me directly. wink wink for the indi store maybe??

administrator
12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
YOU CAN FIND THEM ON EBAY .

The problem i see with buying a mower like bushranger the distributor is Roy Gripski and sons which owns http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/ which also owns the spare parts business called www.gaspares.com.au

see http://www.rgs.com.au/

well thats what ic from the website i could be wrong .

So you have to find a dealer that purchases GA Power Equipment Spares

I am pritty sure that particular blade you cant purchase after market .

However you can find them on ebay

SouthCoast Walker
12-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Just been looking at Macarthur Mowers website,the Masport 700 self-propelled looks awful like the Bushy 530SP. The masport has mulching, just wondering if the mulch plug (I'm assuming it has one) will fit the Bushranger?

click on the gallery of the masport 700. Image 16 & 17 show the chute and plug.

This masport looks ok except for 2 bad features.
1st single speed
and in photo 11 it shows it to have a offset rear axle which makes it only possible to trim on the left side of the deck. I hate that.

administrator
18-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Bushranger blades available from Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia .

PaulG
18-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Was just looking at the PowerUp website and Bushranger don't appear to have any SP mowers anymore?

ian
18-02-2011, 11:55 PM
strangely enough the bushranger commercial mowers also bear a striking resemblance to some of the victa domestic range surely just a coincidence