PDA

View Full Version : Snorkels

Hustler
28-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Does any one use a snorkel on there mower I;m thinking of put them onmy hondas any suggestions welcome ;frosty; ;frosty; ;frosty;

patch
28-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Nev a snorkel is a great thing to do, it will help to keep the dust out of the filter every contractor mower should have one.

Hustler
28-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Patch i spoke to dean and he suggested you have to change the jet in the carby is that correct.

patch
28-03-2006, 07:19 PM
No you should not have to but if you put a another filter in the snorkel it may run rich.
So in other words use the filter already on the mower or put one on the snorkel if that all makes sense.

patch
28-03-2006, 07:21 PM
that is the second post tonight and no smart comment about Nev I must be getting old

chaplain
28-03-2006, 07:43 PM
SNORKEL LOL LIVES IN PORT FAIRY WHAT DO U THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN A SUNAMI LOL :p

twin_cities_lawncare
31-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Snorkle units are great - especially in dry/dusty environoments. Both our push mowers have one...

Hustler
09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the advise looks like i will invest in them in the future The wife has told me to stop spending money as i spent to much this month. :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene

63impala
19-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I think the snorkels are great, cheaper filiters $8 victa filliters than $20+ for honda So how much for this set up $65 for honda push and $55 for honda self propeled Its weird that this one is cheaper than the push. Good investiement for dry dusty invroments A+.

administrator
19-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Must be gold plated filters lol

Red filter $2.50 at indy

63impala
19-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I mean the snokel set up not the filters good saving but, using thoses victa filters. lol :wave-hi:

63impala
19-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Thats cheeper than chips ;frosty;

heggie
24-08-2007, 04:58 PM
just ordered a snorkel kit , it was very dusty here last summer , for what it costs saves money in the long run , cleaner running motor.

waterfront landscapes
29-08-2007, 07:46 PM
hey boys wat is a snokel? dont think iv seen one or heard of one be for,.. any web sites 2 check out, plz forward em... cheers.

63impala
30-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Waterfront a snorkel is for very dusty areas ,have a look a victa and it will be in the throttle assemble,But in my case I use snorkles on my honda mowers in stead of bying a $25 fillter every two weeks in summer it adds up but if you by a snorkel kit around $65 your fillters are only around $5.So it perpese is to save your engine from dust because it off ground level and on the hip pocket.

waterfront landscapes
31-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Sweet cheers 63impala

bb1
03-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advise looks like i will invest in them in the future The wife has told me to stop spending money as i spent to much this month. :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene :frightene

Yeah my wife told me to stop spending to, but I am still going out tomorrow to buy a second ride on, I'm sure she won't notice it in the shed. :) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

administrator
04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
THERE IS A PICTURE OF SORTS ON THIS THREAD OF A SNORKEL :russ:

wombat
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I ran into a fellow contractor the other day who was saying how good his new snorkel kit is going on his Honda...forgive my ignorance here, but whats the dif with just blowing the normal filter out every cpla days with the compressor??

Lancat
09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Re snorkels on 21 inch Honda

Last season I purchase 2 snorkel kits for my 21 inch Hondas. As soon as I started to install the first kit I discovered a mayor fault when installing it to the 21 inch Honda.
The snorkel air inlet is installing right above the catcher bag. Now I don’t have any aerodynamic doctorate, but it didn’t take to long for me to see the problem

The bag type catcher on a Honda 21 inch is full of very small holes, thus allowing the air and dust to pass through freely allowing the bag to fill with grass cuttings

The dust passing through the upper part of the catcher bag and then sucked into the air inlet of the snorkel mounted just above the catcher bag blocking the little cylinder type filter rendering it useless within the week of dry dusty cutting.

I don’t think it would be too much of a problem with the 19 inch Honda as the catcher allows the air to blow out the side the catcher and the snorkel can be mounted higher up the handle of the mower.

I never bothered to install the second snorkel as I found it easier and cheaper to replace the foam secondary filter (the foam filter that wraps around the main paper filter) with a clean lightly oiled form filter every few days. They are cheap to buy and easy to clean, re-oil and easy to carry in the tool kit in an air tight snap-lock plastic bag

administrator
10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Wombat heres a tipp they say never use compressed air to blow paper filters apparently the paper fibres when finshed get sucked into the carby

Just give them a tap

wombat
10-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Wombat heres a tipp they say never use compressed air to blow paper filters apparently the paper fibres when finshed get sucked into the carby

Just give them a tap

Noted, cheers Dean.

administrator
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
When people do things and it was their idea and even if it doesnt work that well they say its good any way be careful what people say

:confused:

My Favorite and i must of heard it a million times

Ran into a guy at the tip and he says he does 26 lawns a day ;frosty;

ian
12-09-2007, 10:22 PM
why does that sound strange i on my own do about 30 lawns everyday

cadase
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
why does that sound strange i on my own do about 30 lawns everyday

If i do the front,back,median strip,and driveway, is that 4 lawns ?

ian
12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
yes but don't forget the lawn on the blindside of the house as well

Lancat
13-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Admin I may have ran into the same bloke last year at my local tip. He had a nice new 4 x 4, new trailer, lots of new gear and had signed up with a well known mowing franchise. I pass by his house on my rounds twice a month and noticed each time I pass his nice new trailer is sitting empty along side the carport.
I assume he has made so much money from all that work and has retired and now living the life of a king?

I asked one of my mates that also works for that well known mowing franchise (he has not yet crossed to the Dark Side of independent owner operators) what happened to that new green guy that was doing 20 to 30 jobs a day.

Same story, he handed his previous jobs payout straight over to the bearded hat wearing mower man. Worked at it for 12 months and discovered there is a lot more too garden maintenance than pushing a mower.

administrator
17-09-2007, 09:07 PM
When people do things and it was their idea and even if it doesnt work that well they say its good any way be careful what people say

:confused:

My Favorite and i must of heard it a million times

Ran into a guy at the tip and he says he does 26 lawns a day ;frosty;

Hey fellas i found that guy they all talk about from the tip you know the one that does twenty six lawns a day on his own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UQSLbhuTg

heggie
19-09-2007, 01:42 PM
just fitted my snorkel to my 196 honda.
first you take your air filter and carb off, put your new main jet in the carb and the air filter block off. then you use a hole saw to drill a 33mm hole in the air filter cover, then snap the elbow in and then refit the carb and filter. the 196 has a predrilled hole for the top filter, then connect hose . simple job 15mins for anyone with diy skills.
cheers heggie

heggie
19-09-2007, 01:44 PM
finished job

heggie
02-10-2007, 07:33 AM
done my first really dusty lawn since i had the snorkel fitted, bottom filter still looks as new , and top filter same . mower looks like s**t ha ha. cheers heggie

NWGL
09-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Just give them a tap

I was having major problems with my 196 last year due to the dusty conditions.

The mower went in for service (incl. carby clean) & 3 weeks later it was back in again.

Shop said carby had enough dirt to grow potatoes in.

They asked if I was cleaning the air filter & I said yes I take the foam off & give it a good tap.

They said no, you need to blow with compressed air.

Bought a cheap compressor & it's now been 18 months since it last went into the shop - still using same filter.

I'm going to replace filter soon, but compressed air works a treat for me. :)

cadase
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I was having major problems with my 196 last year due to the dusty conditions.

The mower went in for service (incl. carby clean) & 3 weeks later it was back in again.

Shop said carby had enough dirt to grow potatoes in.

They asked if I was cleaning the air filter & I said yes I take the foam off & give it a good tap.

They said no, you need to blow with compressed air.

Bought a cheap compressor & it's now been 18 months since it last went into the shop - still using same filter.

I'm going to replace filter soon, but compressed air works a treat for me. :)

18 months out of a filter !! during summer i change mine monthly
i hold mine up to the sun, if i see daylight it stays in.

NWGL
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM

I had enough of it playing up & bought another mower as a spare.

I've ended up using the spare as the everyday as its a lot lighter & easier on the back, so the 196 doesn't get used quite as much as it used to.

Having said that, the last couple of months it's been absolutely thrashed & is still going strong.

Gee, glad I didn't tell you how often I change the oil :eek: :frightene :eek:

Only joking !!! :laughing: ;frosty; :laughing:

glassngrass
07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Suggest you look for tiny pin-holes. If you can see sunlight thru a pin-hole then dust can find its way thru filter and is not serviceable.

glassngrass
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I have snorkel kits fitted to both 196 and 216.

The air filter block-off fell off (???) on the 196 so I blocked the holes from the inside using gap sealant!

I also found that mounting the snorkel filter directly/centrally above the 216 catcher bag an absolutely rediculous location. I moved it up the handle on the opposite side to the control levers. Snorkel now breathes clear of most dust. This also had the added benefit of moving most of the pipe clear of harms way (branches, etc.) I small hole WILL completely stuff your air/fuel mix and leave your engine idling rough and running lean and hot. The hose is the weakest part of the kit!

The elbow (and pipe) was knocked out of filter cover by a bush and before I knew it - crunch under the mower!
Can't buy just the just elbow from Honda! Went to Mitre 10 and found suitable poly elbow and nut to suit! Just had to shorten the thred and also make the nut much thinner so as to fit inside cover.

geejay
09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
snorkels could result in engines over heating and lessening engine life.

cadase
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
snorkels could result in engines over heating and lessening engine life.

So does blocked air filters, so unless you want to tap out the filter after every job in summer, the snorkels the way to go

Arfa Brayne
11-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda 216D improved snorkle
Cut a hole in the cowel at the back between the starter and fuel tank, mount a victa handle mount filter over the hole & duct to honda air filter body same as snorkle hook up.
If you bend the cowl right, the engine fan works as a centrifuge and blower, similar to most chainsaw designs, the victa filter costs bugger all, and because of the centrifuge only needs cleaning every 80 - 100 lawns.
5 minutes worth of inteligent design by honda to alter the air pickup a-la chainsaw to the original filter would be a great bonus to us grassies, but then they wouldn;t sell as many expensive filters would they?

Andy B
21-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda 216D improved snorkle
Cut a hole in the cowel at the back between the starter and fuel tank, mount a victa handle mount filter over the hole & duct to honda air filter body same as snorkle hook up.
If you bend the cowl right, the engine fan works as a centrifuge and blower, similar to most chainsaw designs, the victa filter costs bugger all, and because of the centrifuge only needs cleaning every 80 - 100 lawns.
5 minutes worth of inteligent design by honda to alter the air pickup a-la chainsaw to the original filter would be a great bonus to us grassies, but then they wouldn;t sell as many expensive filters would they?

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this set up if you've got on Arfa?