PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower stolen lock your gear up

NLALM
20-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Some fwit knocked off my 6 month old honda 216 today it was in the back of my ute not chained up I was snipping theb bavck yard came back and no mower. So guys lock your stuff up this happened really fast. Now I need your help should I buy the new honda with the blade brake or just get the normal 216?

MowerRob
20-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Some fwit knocked off my 6 month old honda 216 today it was in the back of my ute not chained up I was snipping theb bavck yard came back and no mower. So guys lock your stuff up this happened really fast. Now I need your help should I buy the new honda with the blade brake or just get the normal 216?

Sorry to hear about ya gear getting stolien

As for which mower, I have both and I prefer the new one. The blade brake is good especially if doing a lawn with a lot of grass dont need to turn mower off. I just use a clip to keep the blade brake on when mowing normally.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0347.jpg

and a I also made a bar for WS to sit on

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0348.jpg

ian
20-04-2010, 07:44 PM
sorry to hear about the mower i always remember the story i heard years ago about a guy who had his mower on the foot path and climbed up a tree he was cutting down he was at the top of the tree when someone pulled up in a ute jumped out and threw his mower in the back and drove off all he could do was watch and yell which did no good.

As far as which mower i tend to think the blade brake would be handy as you don't have to turn the mower off to negotiate steps,edges and those stupid loose stone paths some people put in.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Holy **** man i would be so pissed. Do you have insurance?

Back to Basics
20-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Can we get a location so we can keep a look out for these germs! Nothing worse than thieves.

Bugger!!!!!!

redbackmowing
20-04-2010, 09:47 PM
sorry to hear that mark. bl@@dy scum. i always chain & lock my gear on the trailer & at home. spoke to a lawnie years ago, he went home for lunch & by the time he got back to ute, his mower, brushcutter & blower all gone. Scum!

Andy B
20-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear Mark, hope it cuts their foot off!

Just a thought did the honda dealer register the warranty for you? You never know the theives might have a problem with it and if honda flag the serial number, call the coppers etc boys in blue on arrival when they come to pick it up.

And if you believe in karma, they'll get their own. ;)

simo
20-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I use several chain and paddlock...But I cut a small slit in a link futher down the chain so that it can be undone with out keys..Looks all chained up but don`t have to fumble for keys..

administrator
20-04-2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1685&page=3&pp=15

Tips & tricks 2nd post page 3

You forget once to lock up and the scum will pick you clean

SORRY to hear that mark

Stripes
21-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I bought a few of those bike chain things from Bunnings for about $8 each. They are only a deterrent and can be cut easily, but it stops people from walking past and just grabbing something. They have their own lock. If someone really wants your stuff and has bolt cutters on them, they will get it, but these bike locks stop randoms from grabbing your things.

MOWON
21-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi Mark

Sorry to hear about some low life nicking your Honda but I am hearing it time and time again.
I assume you are a single mower like me and while you are out back some arse**** or more pinches your gear.

I have changed over to a large Toyota van and trailer.
Just use the trailer when needed (ride on. Dump etc)

What I was wondering is do contractors like yourself need a blade brake.
Hondas start one pull so stopping to pull up steps is not a problem.
Just a thought
Cheers Mike

Bluey
22-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I know how you feel mate...worse feeling to find your gear nicked. I am rabid about locking up and i do it religously. My offsider often cuts sick because he needs something and i have locked everything but he doesn't have to pay for a new one.

MikeD
22-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I had my blower stolen 2 weeks ago, but now I have a shiny new one, only attitude i can take to get over the gutted feeling of having the blower nicked. I keep the new one locked in my van now.

NLALM
23-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys I'm in Newcastle the cops have the serial number which is good if they try to pawn it. I"m not holding my breath though. I pick up my new mower tomorrow I went for the old 216 cause they are a bit lighter and I do have to get up and down a few stairs. I hope I made the right choice my back up 216 is getting on I might replace it with a 216m when the time comes, I have to get my security fixed up this weekend.

administrator
23-04-2010, 08:31 PM
b4 you buy a trailer lock wait till you get your package you ordered ia little birdy told me theres a extra in your parcel . :laughing:

Riddo's Run
23-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I have both types of 216 mower and I find while convenient the brake lock mowere is slightly heavier and at the end of the day can take its toll going up and down steps.

I also found it seems to clog up quicker as well...

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
24-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I have both types of 216 mower and I find while convenient the brake lock mowere is slightly heavier and at the end of the day can take its toll going up and down steps.

I also found it seems to clog up quicker as well...

Last thing we need is a mower that clogs up more.

NLALM
25-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Please reply to this post at this link

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=46461#post46461

Just checking out my new mower and thinking why can't any mower manufacturers make a really good mower. I use hondas but was just thinking that my mower will only look new for a week. Look at it this way average homeowner that mows their own lawn say every 2 weeks that is 25 cuts per year. Average contractor lets be very conservative and say 40 lawns a week most guys cut more thats 2080 cuts per year. that is why we need a proper proffesional mower no plastic wheels or other parts that wear out in 6 months why can't someone build us a mower that will last 5 years. Honda say they have contractors test their new mowers who are these guys why can't we give them feedback Sorry I'm getting carried away but what do you guys think?

NLALM
09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Another contractor I know had the catcher of his 216 knocked off last week. To all the scum bag theives out there if I ever catch you look out it will be the last thing you ever steal. A mate of mine once caught a guy trying to break into his house after my mate finished with him he threw him in the boot of his car then dumped him in a park the guy wasn't dead but he wasn't consious either.

gcsmow
10-05-2010, 01:11 AM
I bought a few of those bike chain things from Bunnings for about $8 each. They are only a deterrent and can be cut easily, but it stops people from walking past and just grabbing something. They have their own lock. If someone really wants your stuff and has bolt cutters on them, they will get it, but these bike locks stop randoms from grabbing your things.

Have you seen those cordless angle grinders that you can get now? You can cut through a padlock or chain in seconds!!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Have you seen those cordless angle grinders that you can get now? You can cut through a padlock or chain in seconds!!

Bolt cutters only take seconds as well if someone is determind enough they will get your stuff locks only keep honest people honest my old man said that for years.

Even if it is locked up like fort knox if people want it they will try there best and take it.

63impala
13-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Hell yah i got a dewalt one its just crazy......

Stripes
13-05-2010, 06:55 PM
If someone wants your stuff and knows where you will be at certain times, they will come armed with the necessary tools to cut chains/bolts or whatever. Locks and chains stop randoms from walking past, seeing your stuff and just grabbing it as they walk past. Very few locks would be any good from stopping someone who really wants your stuff, unless the lock is inaccessible such as being covered by a cylinder shape steel where only the butt of the lock is showing. The type that shipping containers have.

Andy B
14-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Occasionally I bring one of my shepherd's on my rounds, hopefully the bloody thieves won't go so far as to attack a shepherd.

chatza
14-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I think i almost had my mower nicked the other day was finishing off blowing as i walked around the corner a guy jumped into his ute and nicked off quick my mower sitting 5 meters from the roadside. Very lucky

Bgs
18-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I think i almost had my mower nicked the other day was finishing off blowing as i walked around the corner a guy jumped into his ute and nicked off quick my mower sitting 5 meters from the roadside. Very lucky

I too had a close call the other week I stupidly left a whippy unlocked in the tray of my ute overnight :rolleyes:

head off to work next morning no whippy in tray curse myself as I am drivingup the street ,about ten houses up there it is sitting on the nature strip :russ: :russ: thief must of got sick of carrying it :i dunno:

Fred's mowing
18-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I too had a close call the other week I stupidly left a whippy unlocked in the tray of my ute overnight :rolleyes:

head off to work next morning no whippy in tray curse myself as I am drivingup the street ,about ten houses up there it is sitting on the nature strip :russ: :russ: thief must of got sick of carrying it :i dunno:
Were the edges done????????????? :laughing:
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
18-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Were the edges done????????????? :laughing:
Cheers Dean.

Nice one Dean! :wave-hi:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-05-2010, 11:27 PM

Your very lucky that it was not gone. Thief could have walked into any pub and got himself 100 for it.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Went out to go to work this morning and found the padlock from my mower compartment sitting on top of the trailer. Nothing gone, but wont be parking the rig out front anymore. The spring loaded levers on my trailer don't get oiled so that if someone does try and open them in the middle of the night it will wake up the whole street. It obviously worked. The dog started barking at something last night, didn't think it would be for that reason. Good Girl.

South East Mowing
04-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Went out to go to work this morning and found the padlock from my mower compartment sitting on top of the trailer. Nothing gone, but wont be parking the rig out front anymore. The spring loaded levers on my trailer don't get oiled so that if someone does try and open them in the middle of the night it will wake up the whole street. It obviously worked. The dog started barking at something last night, didn't think it would be for that reason. Good Girl.
Lucky Boy. What you gunna do with your ztr/ride ons?? I am going to get a cheapy gps tracker and try that(if i work out how to set it up) something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110659871228&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I would normally have the trailer in the garage but have been a bit slack. The garage is a mess at the moment. Once I have the ride ons and new trailer it will take pride of place in the garage no matter what. Just running out of room at the moment. I have a rear roller door on my garage but I already have 2 trailers taking up room behind the garage.

BeetleJuice
05-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Back in my younger days we never lost our keys like people do today,that’s because the keys were always kept in the ignition where they belong.
Plus we would go out for the day and not lock the house.
You’d never hear of things being stolen,i guess some of you young fellers will never see or experience what we had.

fairdinkum
05-08-2011, 05:28 AM
sorry to hear about the mower i always remember the story i heard years ago about a guy who had his mower on the foot path and climbed up a tree he was cutting down he was at the top of the tree when someone pulled up in a ute jumped out and threw his mower in the back and drove off all he could do was watch and yell which did no good.

As far as which mower i tend to think the blade brake would be handy as you don't have to turn the mower off to negotiate steps,edges and those stupid loose stone paths some people put in. .....And your blades and deck last so much longer with the blade brake

Redlandsguy
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Back in my younger days we never lost our keys like people do today,that’s because the keys were always kept in the ignition where they belong.
Plus we would go out for the day and not lock the house.
You’d never hear of things being stolen,i guess some of you young fellers will never see or experience what we had.

I still leave the keys in the truck when mowing and haven't lost anything yet, touch wood. Too much a pain in the butt to lock the truck every time.

BeetleJuice
05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
How would you go leaving the window down and the keys in it overnight??
I'm referring back to the 60's when humans had respect of others peoples property.

Redlandsguy
05-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Well I know in 70's we would go on holidays and the back door didn't have a lock, we only pulled the windows to stop rain getting in. Half of them wouldn't close properly because the black soil had shifted the foundations. We would be away for 4 weeks and not worry about a thing.

I don't leave the keys in the truck overnight, but I would never have done that back then either, unless I had to many sherbets and forgot them, but it is just parked in the yard unlocked overnight now.

I remember when I was transferred to Toowoomba, the barmaids used to chase me with my change I'd leave on the bar and go for a chat at the other end. Out home you could leave the change and go up the road to the other pub for a quick chat and it would still be there when you got back.

Reminds of a true story of an old drunk out at Longreach. Never seemed to have any money but still was able to sit in the pub all day Saturday and keep the supply going. My mate was talking to the barman about it and he told him to sit pat next time there was a blue. As you may recall, whenever there was a blue everyone went out the back to watch the proceedings. Well my mate sat pat for the next one and this old bloke did the rounds of the bar and grabbed a couple of bob from each pile of change, never enough to be noticed and took it back and added it to his small pile. kept him in beer all day long those blues.

edbeek
05-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I remember when I was transferred to Toowoomba, the barmaids used to chase me with my change I'd leave on the bar and go for a chat at the other end. .

Ahh the good old days when barmaids were barmaids. There could be 20 piles of money around the bar, and the good barmaids would know who owned each pile, who was in each shout, whose turn it was to shout and what the order was.

happymowin
05-08-2011, 06:51 PM
since reading your horror stories i changed what i do a little,

i unlock the box, take out the blower and the snipper, lock back on, take these 2 into the backyard.

come back out, get the pushie, take that to the back.

finish back yard, including blowing, bring 3 machines out all together, do front yard, gear away,lock up then go talk to the customer for money and go.

i nearly cried this arvo, though, a $30 love job for an old customer, and i took the honda out of the box, went to get the catcher, the mower rolled under the trailer, and smashed the plastic around the gear / throttle levers into about 5 pieces. dang. dont think i can even araldite it back together. gonna cost more than that $30 i bet to fix. sigh.

Bluey
05-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Ahh the good old days when barmaids were barmaids. There could be 20 piles of money around the bar, and the good barmaids would know who owned each pile, who was in each shout, whose turn it was to shout and what the order was.

Well those days have not gone you just have to find a town where it happens. I spent the last 2 day in Mt Gambier and last night at the RSL Megs the barmaid did exactly that. She looked after me very well. Her and I have become firm friends since I go down there a fair bit. The old way is alive and well in the country.

Bluey
05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I can speak from experience in having your gear knocked off. I leaves a sick feeling in your gut. The bastards are so quick. I am paranoid about locking things up now days. Sad but that is what you have to do I am afraid. Too many losers and druggies around nowdays. Time to move back country.

Redeye
05-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm paranoid here in a village of 200 people Bluey, lock up everything - I use Masterlock Python motorbike locks.....its a whole different world these days

Redlandsguy
05-08-2011, 08:37 PM

javascript://

And they would have been kicked out of the barmaids union if they served up the glass of froth some of these children behind the bar give you these days. And to make things worse they don't understand sarcasm. I received a beer a few weeks ago that had a monstrous head on it, looked like an ice cream. I asked the girl if it came with chocolate topping and nuts and she was looking for them. Ah the younger generation, is there any hope for them?

Bluey
05-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Reminds of a true story of an old drunk out at Longreach. Never seemed to have any money but still was able to sit in the pub all day Saturday and keep the supply going. My mate was talking to the barman about it and he told him to sit pat next time there was a blue. As you may recall, whenever there was a blue everyone went out the back to watch the proceedings. Well my mate sat pat for the next one and this old bloke did the rounds of the bar and grabbed a couple of bob from each pile of change, never enough to be noticed and took it back and added it to his small pile. kept him in beer all day long those blues.

My old man used to tell a story about when he was at Pilliga in NSW just after the war. Apparently the publican had this old white cockatoo that that was a bit of a soak. He used to have a thimble on a chain around his neck and he would go up to you and hold the thimble out for a bit of a tipple. He used to get blotto and pass out on the bar. But he also used to nick the blokes change and run back and put it in the till and yell out F*** ya. That story made me laugh as a kid. I could see this sozzled cocky doing it.

Jayk
05-08-2011, 09:30 PM
My old man used to tell a story about when he was at Pilliga in NSW just after the war. Apparently the publican had this old white cockatoo that that was a bit of a soak. He used to have a thimble on a chain around his neck and he would go up to you and hold the thimble out for a bit of a tipple. He used to get blotto and pass out on the bar. But he also used to nick the blokes change and run back and put it in the till and yell out F*** ya. That story made me laugh as a kid. I could see this sozzled cocky doing it.

classic Bluey!

edbeek
05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I still haven't got used to taking the keys out of the vehicle in town.
Half the time I leave it unlocked with the keys in it. Other times I lock it up with the keys inside. :)

SM MOWING
05-08-2011, 09:57 PM
We had some idiot steal an empty carboard box that was sitting out the front of our house! We also had a guy who was riding a gopher try and break into our car...i was in our bedroom in the middle of the day in broad daylight heard this strange noise like someone trying to open our car door, i look outside and some f*ck head on a gopher it parked next to our car, he saw me and before i could get to the front door and unlock it (we deadbolt our door) to show the guy my nine iron :FU he had taken off and desapeared...what a prick

imoww
08-08-2011, 05:42 AM
F*kn bastards.
Im so sorry to hear Nlam.
Ive changed my way of doing the lawns now due to scum stealing our stuff.
I now take everything with me to the back of the client's house and mow, trim & blow. Then take it all out the front & do the same. But i leave the mower & what ever Im not using in the middle of the lawn im mowing. Just so i can keep a good eye on it all.
This is causing a little more time to do a job. I dont have the spare money to buy another mower straight away.

imoww
08-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Ive seen a simliar thing not long ago.
I was unloading my gear and was walking through the clients lawn towards the gate when i noticed sum low life wondering around the street. He then walked past my ute & had a sneak peak inside.
I was thinking of the GPS stuck on the window.. I snuck up behind the ute without him noticing. The sum bag was standing in the middle of the road just staring into my ute.
I slammed my hand on the back of my ute and the sum bag jumped out of his skin. I held my mobile up to me ear saying. He's 5 feet 9. Male , approx 17-19 years old. Hes standing in Johnston Street now . You should have seen the look on the sum bag's face..... He bolted up the road losing a shoe whilst he was running.

happymowin
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I was unloading my gear and was walking through the clients lawn towards the gate when i noticed sum low life wondering around the street. He then walked past my ute & had a sneak peak inside.
I was thinking of the GPS stuck on the window.. I snuck up behind the ute without him noticing. The sum bag was standing in the middle of the road just staring into my ute.
I slammed my hand on the back of my ute and the sum bag jumped out of his skin. I held my mobile up to me ear saying. He's 5 feet 9. Male , approx 17-19 years old. Hes standing in Johnston Street now . You should have seen the look on the sum bag's face..... He bolted up the road losing a shoe whilst he was running.

LMAO - that is so funny, mate !!!

Bluey
08-08-2011, 08:15 PM
lol..:the bird:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

South East Mowing
08-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Now all you needed was someone to get you on video and post it on admins $1000 video post and you're in the running!!!!

imoww
17-05-2016, 10:31 PM
What's the WS ?
I just got the same Honda and the blade break is giving me rsi

Sorry to hear about ya gear getting stolien

As for which mower, I have both and I prefer the new one. The blade brake is good especially if doing a lawn with a lot of grass dont need to turn mower off. I just use a clip to keep the blade brake on when mowing normally.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0347.jpg

and a I also made a bar for WS to sit on

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0348.jpg

Jayk
17-05-2016, 11:22 PM
What's the WS ?

WS= whipper snipper.

Jayk
17-05-2016, 11:24 PM
What's the WS ?

just buy a cheap cramp on like Mower Rob. You engage the blades and lock it on.

BSD
18-05-2016, 04:30 AM
As dumb as this seems but, its actually an offence to interfere with a safety device, like removing the whippy guard.(not that I'm an offender-ever)

Matt1972
18-05-2016, 01:01 PM
I use clamps for my Hrx (I've used it without a clamp and it's not a big issue) and my rover which has the engine brake.