PDA

View Full Version : How to Shape a Hedge

administrator
21-04-2010, 02:13 PM
see forum members clipping and hedgeing pics

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2631

see link for shapeing

http://www.ehow.com/how_2209479_shape-box-hedge.html

With proper care and pruning techniques, it's quite easy to shape a box hedge into a number of interesting configurations. Whether you're just looking to maintain a perfect edge along the top of your hedge, dabble in the art of Bonsai or even attempt a topiary animal, a level and a pair of pruning shears will take you far.

Things You'll Need:
Pruning shears
Sticks
String
Level

Step 1
Wait for consistent, steady new growth on a box hedge before you attempt to shape it. New growth is usually marked by a lighter color of green along the outside edges of the plant. It indicates that the box hedge is healthy and ready to respond to pruning.

Step 2
Shape a box hedge by keeping all individual plants approximately the same size throughout the growing process. You can use a smaller pair of pruning shears when the box hedges are young to reduce trauma to the plant.

Step 3
Use two sticks and a string to mark the horizontal limits along the top of the box hedge. Use a pair of sharp pruning shears to snip along the line of the string, using a level to keep it taut and straight between the sticks.

Step 4
Trim the sides of the box hedge by eye, holding the pruning shears vertically. Even if the sides of the hedge aren't perfect, they will be much less noticeable than an uneven top. Trimming the sides of the box hedge will allow the bottom to fill in more consistently.

Step 5
Cut the box hedge at least twice per season to shape it correctly and stimulate new growth. Cut once in the spring after the last frost has passed, since new growth can be very susceptible to cold weather. Shape the box hedge once more in the fall when growth has slowed and the plant is ready for the winter.

Step 6
Experiment with different shapes once your box hedge is stable and thriving. You can trim your box hedge into a variety of interesting shapes, such as pyramids or even topiary animals. The trick is to examine the trunk structure of a mature hedge to determine what is possible, and then slowly trim the hedge into the desired shape over a couple of seasons.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
21-04-2010, 03:48 PM
This should be a great thread :clap:

Redeye
15-09-2010, 01:25 PM
This is how ya'all do it

TOO EASY YARD CARE
16-09-2010, 06:10 AM
This is how ya'all do it

hahaha i dont no where people get these ideas :knob

Anjaryan
16-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Some People are so stupid really, I mean does he really need to be sitting in the thing, he could have just started it and stayed on the ground with a coldie and let the crane operator do all the work.

Some contractors just dont have a brain.

ian
16-09-2010, 07:02 PM
i'd just like to know how he managed to stay in the seat when he did the sides

Bgs
16-09-2010, 07:26 PM
I think he needs to stop spending money on fancy cranes and get him self a multi tool with the hedgetrimming attachment :madnoel

Andy B
17-09-2010, 10:21 AM
i'd just like to know how he managed to stay in the seat when he did the sides

That's what I was wondering too! :)

And with a crane that size why didn't he get a bigger ride on or a zt or a tractor, make the job a lot quicker...

MOWON
17-09-2010, 03:17 PM
This is how ya'all do it

That is so funny
That, after a few beers is a possibilty
My brother has a crane.
My brother owes me a few favours.
20 m hedge -46 inch cut on my ride on.
Time taken 20 minutes tops.
Thanks for whoever posted this.
I will be rich
Go INDES

Bluey
17-09-2010, 03:23 PM
This is actually from NZ mike.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3070920/High-rider-trims-his-hedge

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Ok. Everyone can call me a stick in the mud. But if you tried doing that in Australia not only would you end up out of a job, especially the crane driver but you would most likely end up in a court room.
When I did my dogging licence...which for those that don't know what that is! Its basically a license for slinging loads and guiding loads for a crane. There is no way you would have someone on a load and no way you would be working so close to power lines without all the proper safety procedures in place. And for anyone that can't see how dangerous that picture really is, then you are lucky you don't work for me because you would be looking for a new job quicker than you would die if something went wrong in that idiotic stunt!!!!!!!!

MOWON
30-09-2010, 11:55 AM
This is actually from NZ mike.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/3070920/High-rider-trims-his-hedge

Hi Bluey
Actually from NZ (figures)
There are a lot of nutters here especially after a few beers.
This is from Cambridge and there is not too much going on down there.
Good for a laugh but

:safety:safety:safety:safety

Andy B
01-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I was given a 2-stoke victa yesterday, wonder if it will work upside down for hedges??? LOL:wave-hi:

Mick
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Seeing the mower doing that hedge reminded me of this..... mower crime!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G-KYpjItcQ

Bluey
01-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Bloke on the crane looked like a real switched on unit.

Mick
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Have to feel for the mower manufacturer...
"Mi mowa boke, I wan it fix unda warrintee!" "Dunno wat appened, juz starded boogin doon!"

Redeye
01-10-2010, 09:29 PM
beyond stupid..am I allowed to say f***kwit on here? obviously a yank

Fred's mowing
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Redeye;54475]beyond stupid..am I allowed to say f***kwit on here? obviously a yank[/
Awwwwwwwwwww, c,mon, would,nt u luv to sit on that with a can of VB in ya hand:wave-hi:.
Cheers Dean.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
02-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Ok. Everyone can call me a stick in the mud. But if you tried doing that in Australia not only would you end up out of a job, especially the crane driver but you would most likely end up in a court room.
When I did my dogging licence...which for those that don't know what that is! Its basically a license for slinging loads and guiding loads for a crane. There is no way you would have someone on a load and no way you would be working so close to power lines without all the proper safety procedures in place. And for anyone that can't see how dangerous that picture really is, then you are lucky you don't work for me because you would be looking for a new job quicker than you would die if something went wrong in that idiotic stunt!!!!!!!!

I think we all know and understand that it is rediculouse and dangerouse and totally agains all workplace health and safety rules and would not recomend any one else to do it. But seeing though it has been done it is funny to look at the pictures.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
02-10-2010, 06:15 AM

What a group of wankers these guys are after all that risk to the machinery and it still looks the same in the end.

63impala
10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Thats my stihl 81t with 30'' blade is in it beautiful to watch and thats not me I am taller....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2hC44qNIk&feature=related

63impala
10-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Nice add for the raing day blues on the GC.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ZWsEIG1yw&feature=related

geoff1969
10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Nice add for the raing day blues on the GC.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ZWsEIG1yw&feature=related

good adds impala ... this year on my list now most other equipment is sorted is a multi tool by stihl

Bluey
22-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Today I took on a fairly big hedge massively overgrown bordering two properties. It was approx 6 m long and 3 m wide and the client wanted it trimmed down to 3.5 metres high. It had been pruned a bit on the sides but had bushed out at the top and sides above where the client could reach it on her side but the other side had not really been touched. The growth out the top was nearly 2 meters higher than the original hedge level. To make it worse the area where it was growing sloped down at about 35 degrees with driveways on each side. I should have took a pic but didn't.

Anyway it was the first like this I have done and would like some tips or advice on how to go about it. This is what I did.

I built a scaffold out of my ladders with an adjustable one on the sloping end and normal one down the bottom. Laid a big plank across these but was not all that happy with the stability of it but it did the job. Lucky I have good balance. The sides and front were relatively easily and the pole hedger handled it with ease although I had to use the extension.

Where I really struggled was the top because in the center some of the branches were 3 inches across and I was forced to use the pole saw on these. I found out that the layering of these branches caused an issue as it left gaps in the top when I took them out. To high and they stand up above the rest and too low and you get a hole. I decided to take them out lower rather than higher and the end result whilst it looked ok from the sides down on the ground didn't look to great to me up top and i don't know how well it will grow back out.

The other issue I had was these bigger branches were heavy and got stuck in the hedge and I struggled to get some of them out. It took me 2.5 hrs to finish and whilst I was reasonably happy with the job I know I could have done a better job with better equipment particularly scaffold. I almost went and hired a cherry picker but had given the quote without this cost.

So what I am asking the more experienced guys with these is what could I had done better. Do you use cherry pickers or better types of scaffold.

Redeye
22-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Hard to say without seeing it Bluey, I use the ute as a platform a lot when I can & utilise the ladder racks for extra height with tied-in-place planks for extra height if needed.
I was asked to quote pruning a "hedge" of Norfolk Island Hibiscus about 50' high the other day, I advised they employ tree loppers.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
22-10-2010, 08:45 PM
I often stand on my trailer. My insurance company wanted twice as much if i use a ladder so i dont touch anything over 6 ft high.

Andy B
23-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Not that experienced in big ones bluey but I would and sure you probably did mention to the client when quoting it that because it's over grown it may look a bit funny after the first cut as there is a lot that has to be taken out to restore it's shape and that way they know it's not going to be perfect. Promote your return service cause regular service will help it look its best. ;)

ian
23-10-2010, 10:02 AM
yes Andy i agree it is always best to make sure the client knows it may not look perfect after the first time i always remember a client that wanted to be able shape a tree into a ball at about 5' high after cutting the tree so that it could be shaped at the height the client had requested he wasn't happy because it was bare branches and not a lovely looking green ball i then had to explain what i had thought was obvious which was that if there were no leaves at that height then it couldn't be turned into a leafy green ball you have to wait for it to sprout leaves then it can be shaped

South East Mowing
23-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Anything overgrown like that I inform client that 1st will probably look average and to have it looking good they should have it done when new growth appears so it can then have "shape"
I also use my ute /laddder racks like redeye!

DavidS
23-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Bluey you did the right thing with cutting below the height with the thick centre, I usually cut at least 150mm below the rest so the new growth will eventualy fill the gap with regular pruning it will fill up quickly. On large hedges I hire scaffolding and build it into the quote. If I can get a cherry picker in I use this instead but mostly scaffolding. If it's on a drive with level ground then I will use ladders and a scaffolding platform I got from a auction.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Hights scare me and so do confined spaces. Like i said before if anyone asks me to do something higher than 6ft sorry you will have to get someone else. Not that thats any help to you bluey.

Bluey
23-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Bluey you did the right thing with cutting below the height with the thick centre, I usually cut at least 150mm below the rest so the new growth will eventualy fill the gap with regular pruning it will fill up quickly. On large hedges I hire scaffolding and build it into the quote. If I can get a cherry picker in I use this instead but mostly scaffolding. If it's on a drive with level ground then I will use ladders and a scaffolding platform I got from a auction.

Thanks mate. I welcome the feed back. It was a hard job. If I can make one better for someone else all the better

Fred's mowing
25-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Like everyone else said Bluey. Ppl who expect the look of a fine manicured hedge from a bunch of overgrown trees r kidding themselves!
Sounds like u were pretty much on the right track, would have loved a pic:sad:
What type of ladders were u using?
Ppl dont realise how hard doing the top is in comparison to the sides, particuarly if the hedge cutter has to be bypassed 4 larger equiptment, & the there,s the rubbish:whipit.
What type of hedge was it?
If the client was pretty happy with your first effort, you,ll proly have it 4 keeps. You,ve done the hard yards, it shoud never be harder than the first time if they,re consistant & your price should be considerate of this, but per hr u should make more:cool:
Cheers Dean.

Bluey
26-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi dean it was a conifer hedge. I used a normal Baileys ladder and my Global folding extension ladder. It was a bit of buggering about as i had to move it every now and then but did the job. Wasn't all that safe though hence my asking if there was a better way. It was made all that harder due to the slope of the driveway

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey Bluey. I just finished a job today that I started last week. The time that it took you sounds about right to me. Going by the job I did. The job was cutting down Pittosporums from about 20' to 12'. They have never been pruned in 7 years. 12mtrs long and if I had looked properly when I did the quote would have realized they were a lot wider than I thought. Turned out to be a mongrel of a job and the best I got out of it was a lot of new experience. Started out alright but this job was in a backyard on a slope and ended up having to do most of it standing on the top of my 6' foot ladder. Like you lucky I have good balance. Cut out all the thick branches lower than the desired height and thinned out by cutting a lot of heavy branches off the fence side of the hedge. ( some of them were growing about 5' out over the fence. Last 6mtrs had to do by hand as my pole pruner and hedger ended up being useless when the starter ****e itself. Ended up spending $200 on some more hand pruning gear while my power equipment is being repaired. Cant complain though, the new hand equipment is great.
Anyway did the best I could in the end. Made it very hard when even standing on top of my ladder I couldn't see where I needed to cut the last straggly bits. Customer happy but I will have to have a good think about what I want to do in the future as far as how high I would like to go. I do like doing these jobs but makes it very hard and dangerous if you cant get the height you need to work comfortably above the top.
BTW Don't ask what I charged. I'm trying very hard not to think about it. I've done a few jobs like this now but have never had one that turned out to be as difficult and time consuming as this one.
Lets just say it was some good hands on experience.;)

Grassman177
18-01-2011, 08:38 AM

i was totally add this to the thread, glad i read it all first.

my favorite. how moronic can you be. but at the same time, awesome

Grassman177
18-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Thats my stihl 81t with 30'' blade is in it beautiful to watch and thats not me I am taller....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV2hC44qNIk&feature=related

nice video. i have those trimmers and they are super!

they are the most fluid, smoothest , most balanced(for the length) trimmers i have ever used. love the tuned exhaust.

Andy B
18-01-2011, 02:48 PM
On the hedging topic, I've got a English Box hedge I haven't been able to get a nice clean square edge on. What's the secret or tip? It's only about foot high and curves around the front of a garden bed, i've kept the shape over the last year but it had a much squarer edge when I took over it.

63impala
18-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Blame the tool not the person so get a stihl 81t it will get you what you want...

63impala
18-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes they nice I got the 81r and they both nice..

nice video. i have those trimmers and they are super!

they are the most fluid, smoothest , most balanced(for the length) trimmers i have ever used. love the tuned exhaust.

wceagles1
18-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Yes they nice I got the 81r and they both nice..

Hey Impala

Are you a rep for Stihl

ian
18-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Hey Impala

Are you a rep for Stihl

only in his dreams :laughing:

Bluey
18-01-2011, 09:15 PM
LMAO....that would be his dream job.

Grassman177
18-01-2011, 11:56 PM
i cant tell you how to get that "edge". newbies cant seem to get it.ahahhahahah

63impala
19-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Yah being a rep would be a nice job free stihls lolol.....

Hey Impala

Are you a rep for Stihl

63impala
11-11-2011, 02:40 PM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4128[/ATT:noel
Look at this Dolphine I relled in the other day it was eather him or me and we know who won.... ....

geoff
11-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Kev mate thats noice , how ya doing young fellow your mate jeffroy

63impala
28-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Cheers jeffro I try my best....:noel.

63impala
28-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Over grown lilly pilly weapon of choice Stihl 81r with the bigger teeth then the T and the 130 kombe with the works and a yellow ladder.......

It was a big one but I cut him down to size.... .... . :magic

PaulG
28-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Nice lines there Kev.

63impala
28-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Cheers bro :laughing::laughing::dance

AJD Mowing
28-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Over grown lilly pilly weapon of choice Stihl 81r with the bigger teeth then the T and the 130 kombe with the works and a yellow ladder.......

It was a big one but I cut him down to size.... .... . :magic

Looks good mate and looks like you got the right tools for the job.. :clap:

courty
28-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Nice work Imp.
Hope your not chargin ghetto prices for that work Kevvy boy

63impala
28-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes i roll with a tool for evey job u just have to ask lol..... No ghetto price for hedges its art you bay alote for art and it self expression witch u cant bye only the operator has that gift.......:cool:

63impala
28-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Cheers man very good advice Iam using your metod from know on cheers and emty your pm box aye

courty
28-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Cheers man very good advice Iam using your metod from know on cheers and emty your pm box aye

Done Kimosabe........

geoff1969
28-11-2011, 05:22 PM
nice neat finished product there impala .....

ASTRO
28-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Tight lines impala much respect stihl man.

AJD Mowing
29-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Done Kimosabe........

Did you know Kimosabe in Cherokee means Horses Ass? I wonder if the Lone Ranger new what that meant? LOL

63impala
29-11-2011, 05:45 PM
lol good stuff:clap::xmas

courty
29-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Did you know Kimosabe in Cherokee means Horses Ass? I wonder if the Lone Ranger new what that meant? LOL

thats why I used it :cool:

ian
29-11-2011, 08:10 PM
did you know that Cherokee is actually a Creek Indian word meaning those with another language and not the name that they use for themselves

63impala
29-11-2011, 08:16 PM
I like apaches but cant go wrong with these KIOWAS watching ur back.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25XIEim8SVM

Yea hah

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
29-11-2011, 09:03 PM
thats why I used it :cool:

The lone ranger might have been spending too much time looking at his offsiders kimosabe.

63impala
29-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Country u opened a can of broke back mountain talk her boy....

PaulG
23-06-2012, 01:00 PM
On the hedging topic, I've got a English Box hedge I haven't been able to get a nice clean square edge on. What's the secret or tip? It's only about foot high and curves around the front of a garden bed, i've kept the shape over the last year but it had a much squarer edge when I took over it.

Are you still doing this one Andy? Wondering if it previously may have been clipped with hand shears? The smoother the tool used the finer the edge will be especially on Box ;)

imoww
27-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Interesting but great instructions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIgeTzjaoo