PDA

View Full Version : Garden Tip for the Gardeners

DavidS
03-05-2010, 08:28 PM
It's called the glove of death.
You need a surgical glove, a cotton glove and a small tin. Put the surgical glove on first and then place the cotton glove over the top of surgical glove, pour straight roundup into tin and dip thumb and two fingers into tin, scrape off excess and then find weeds in between plants, pull weed leaves between thumb and fingers, this leaves a trace of roundup on weed without touching the plant. Come back in two weeks and you can pull out dead weed. Really good for kikuyu and couch growing in gardens.

Andy B
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Nice one DavidS, I'll be giving it a go on some pita ones I've got.

Great thread to start too!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
04-05-2010, 12:21 PM
It's called the glove of death.
You need a surgical glove, a cotton glove and a small tin. Put the surgical glove on first and then place the cotton glove over the top of surgical glove, pour straight roundup into tin and dip thumb and two fingers into tin, scrape off excess and then find weeds in between plants, pull weed leaves between thumb and fingers, this leaves a trace of roundup on weed without touching the plant. Come back in two weeks and you can pull out dead weed. Really good for kikuyu and couch growing in gardens.

In my personal garden i use a paintbrush and a jar i use an old jam one and paint it on the weeds. Vey slow and time consuming but stops the plants being killed.

DavidS
17-06-2010, 09:40 AM
For those people who wonder how Glyphosate actually works, I have been asked many times if glyphosate is very posionous.

How does glyphosate work?
• Glyphosate acts by inhibiting a biochemical pathway important in the normal functioning of plants. By disrupting the
pathway, compounds necessary for the plant’s survival can not be made. This biochemical pathway is found only in
plants and microorganisms. Plants start yellowing and then die, this can take from 3 days to weeks dependent on plant structure and growth. The chemical does not enter the soil or stay in the soil.

If you want to find out how poisonous Glyphosate is check this site out http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.pdf

Andy B
17-06-2010, 03:28 PM
It's probably been said before but DavidS you are wealth of usefull information!

Bluey
17-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Good one mate. Have stored that little bit of info away for future use.

geoff
17-06-2010, 05:50 PM
great post David , that info you supplied is a great fact sheet to show customers that are unsure of us using this product.....

DavidS
17-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I was asked by a client the other day why their oranges where not juicy and had thick skins. It's usually a lack of potassium and other important nutrients. If you put out high nitrogen fertiliser this will happen. If your client or your trees have this problem on any citrus, mix up 120gms of Potassium Sulphate in 9litre of water, pour this around the drip line and then water in. Then in April or May mix up another dose of Potassium Sulphate and 1kg of Super Phosphate and pour this around the drip line and water in well. The other secret is regular watering.

DavidS
14-08-2011, 10:11 AM
It's nearly that time of year again so here is a Home made Fruit Fly Pot.
Get a empty 2 litre milk container with the lid on. Cut 3 holes in the bottle about 10cm from top around the bottle at the same level and about the size of a 10 cent piece, fill with mixture and tie a string around the lid and hang in fruit trees in the shade about 1 to 1.5 mtrs above ground.
Mixture: 2 large table spoons of Vegemite, 2 large table spoons of ammonia bleach, 2-3 drops of insectide(any will do) then add enough water so the water level is about 10cm from bottom of bottle. In very hot conditions swap the vegemite and water for fresh orange juice to reduce the capture of blow flies. Secret to working properly is to change mixture every week.
Make certain you have at least one of these in every fruit tree you have in garden, this includes citrus tree.
You can use any other type of bottle, soft drink bottles work well too.

DavidS
30-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I forgot to put this one on the Forum, should have been on a couple weeks ago.
Now is the time to cut back Dahlia's and Kanna lillies, they need to be cut to the ground or close. It's a good one to get extra gardening work as most owners don't know when to cut back and some of them don't know that they have to be cut back at all. They should be cut back every year.
Also now is a good time to give your fruit and citrus trees a feed, another service that can earn you a bit more work and make you look good

Fred's mowing
30-08-2011, 09:05 PM
What David said re fert.
Register customers now who want fert, so u can calculate the quantities.
Its almost prime time to just about fertilize everything.
If u do it, the growth will go boom & u will be credited , u are a marvel!
If u dont do it, the growth will go boom & u will miss out on the credit & the dollars;)
Cheers Fred.

imoww
30-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Why does Rundup work better than Zero for killing weeds???? Zero has a higher glyphosate in it...?

PaulG
31-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Could be any number of reasons. Are you spraying the same weeds in the same growing conditions? Different plants/weeds, different leaf coatings, dry soil conditions etc could mean the uptake of the active ingredient through the plants stomata is vastly different. Rainfall within half a day of spraying. Morning vs afternoon spraying etc.

DavidS
31-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I just checked the information sheet on zero Rapid and it is only 7.2g/l where Gylsophate is 360g/l so Glyso is going to work better.

PaulG
31-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Which zero are you using immow? Yates Zero concentrate is 480g/L If I recall.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Why does Rundup work better than Zero for killing weeds???? Zero has a higher glyphosate in it...?

Cant answer your question but I use gypho 360. Does just as good a job as roundup but costs a hell of a lot less. Time frames for spraying before rain are rubbish aswell. As long as it has dried on the foliage it will do its job.

DavidS
31-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Zero concentrate is 490g/l so I found out. I don't use it because I can buy 20 litre drums of Glyso cheaper than I can buy Zero. I use Glyso 450 with additives that help stick it to the plant. Don't have a kill problem except for marshmellow plant I just add some Gold to this and bye bye marshmellow. Gold bloody dear tho $125.00 for a litre but you only have to add 10 ml to a 8 litre sprayer.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Zero concentrate is 490g/l so I found out. I don't use it because I can buy 20 litre drums of Glyso cheaper than I can buy Zero. I use Glyso 450 with additives that help stick it to the plant. Don't have a kill problem except for marshmellow plant I just add some Gold to this and bye bye marshmellow. Gold bloody dear tho $125.00 for a litre but you only have to add 10 ml to a 8 litre sprayer.
Have you tried using dishwashing detergent as an additive. It works on onion weed.

PaulG
31-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Time frames for spraying before rain are rubbish aswell. As long as it has dried on the foliage it will do its job.

I hope so Glenn. I had a big spray job yesterday and I didn't notice the clouds building. Started raining just as I finished the job and didn't stop. I'll have to check in a week but I think I fair bit will need a respray.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I hope so Glenn. I had a big spray job yesterday and I didn't notice the clouds building. Started raining just as I finished the job and didn't stop. I'll have to check in a week but I think I fair bit will need a respray.

I think you will be suprised Paul. I have had the same thing happen to me. Went back 2 weeks later and everything was dead.

Let me know how it turns out.

Neil&family
31-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I have been using LI700 surfactant with glypho 360. seems to work a treat.Levels the PH level of the water so i'm told.Cost....No idea as i got the dregs in a drum from a farmer. And geesus it STINKS.

Fred's mowing
31-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Cant answer your question but I use gypho 360. Does just as good a job as roundup but costs a hell of a lot less. Time frames for spraying before rain are rubbish aswell. As long as it has dried on the foliage it will do its job.
I agree with Glenn, they're just covering their arse.
Cheers Fred.

ian
31-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I just checked the information sheet on zero Rapid and it is only 7.2g/l where Gylsophate is 360g/l so Glyso is going to work better.
David that's the ready to use pack 20ml/L glypho 360 = 7.2g/l when mixed
the strength of the concentrate is virtually irrelevant it's the strength of the final mix and the surfactants used that make the difference

DavidS
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Glen I use dishwashing liquid alot or veggie oil, but marshmellow is very woody and gylso 360 or 450 with oil or dishwashing liquid just make it yellow and kills some of the young leaves.

Bluey
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I have been using a product called GulfAg Clearup Bio 360. It has a built in aquatically approved surfacant. Mixes at 10ml per litre for most stuff. Around $90 per 20 lt from Gobe Australia outlets. Good stuff.

Kathryn
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
and plants coming out of their winter dormancy with die faster now too

DavidS
21-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I can't remember if I have put this weblink in before, it's a good link for Fungi treatment on plants, trees and lawns. http://www.searle.com.au/Fungicidechart.html

Bluey
21-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Bloody brilliant. Thanks mate