PDA

View Full Version : Blades

cadase
03-04-2006, 05:03 PM
allo,
i have a 21" honda hru 216 mulch & catch,my question is,what combination of blades gives a better cut, ex.. 4 low lift
4 high lift
2 low-2 high
recently bought 10 sets of blades from ind mowing,they were all high lift

chaplain
03-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Just make sure the blades are sharp ive allways used full flute in pick up and mulching doesnt really make a difference using low and high combo in my view.I did have to take the pressed plastic of the arch pain in the bum when you want to catch but horses for courses i guess

chaplain
03-04-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want great cut on mulching buy a dedicated mulcher Honda is a token mulcher at best . :i dunno:

cadase
04-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Just make sure the blades are sharp ive allways used full flute in pick up and mulching doesnt really make a difference using low and high combo in my view.I did have to take the pressed plastic of the arch pain in the bum when you want to catch but horses for courses i guess
pressed plastic of the arch ? what is that,
and yep i don't bother to mulch with it,not happy with the mulch capabilities at all

patch
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
allo,
i have a 21" honda hru 216 mulch & catch,my question is,what combination of blades gives a better cut, ex.. 4 low lift
4 high lift
2 low-2 high
recently bought 10 sets of blades from ind mowing,they were all high lift
It really doesn't matter if you use high or low lift the important thing is that the air you generate can get out off the catcher If it doesn't then it will not pick up efficiently
so if grass is coming out from under the mower it is generating to much air from the blades or you make bigger holes in the catcher
hope this all makes sense

cadase
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
It really doesn't matter if you use high or low lift the important thing is that the air you generate can get out off the catcher If it doesn't then it will not pick up efficiently
so if grass is coming out from under the mower it is generating to much air from the blades or you make bigger holes in the catcher
hope this all makes sense
ok thanks for that patch,cheers

Lancat
26-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Just me two bobs on Blades

One of my fellow Lawnies convinced me to run only one pair of blades on my Honda mowers. I was a bit sceptical at first but gave it a go. I ran one mower with two sets of blades and the other with one set of blades and tested both mowers on a few different lawns. To my surprise I could not see any difference in the cut. I now run one set of blades on my mowers.

A clean deck, sharp blades and a clean catcher with good air flow is the key to a good clean cut. Let the mower do the work for you, don’t let your mower labour through the lawn.

Do others Lawnies here run one or two sets of blades on there Honda?

administrator
28-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Yes i agree to a point but only in dry cutting areas as you dont need the up draft as four blades will give you but in wet or green cutting areas you do by using the four blade hi flute system it helps the mower perform to its optimum level less fatigue for your mower less costs to u :frightene

administrator
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
The Honda catcher
Tip

with some holes drilled into the top plate on each side will increase air flow to make sure that wet grass has a chance of getting into the catcher
and in the summer you can block with a 2 inch duck tape so u dont choke to death from the dust .

haireyscarie
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM
my old honda has the 1 strait cutting blade i love it

my new 1 has the 4 blades

both are mulch and catch....
but i only mulch... the lawn's i do.

as i have dun for the past 10 years or so
ps
6 barrows full of clipping go back on lawn every time i mow.
as i found out in the last 2 weeks.when for the 1st time in 10 years i hade to use a catcher y i rebuild the old honda

raining again here :Rain: :Rain:

administrator
07-06-2007, 06:18 PM
read this thread as well regarding blades

use the search button you can find alot of threads that may be similar :wave-hi:

Bgs
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
The Honda catcher
Tip

with some holes drilled into the top plate on each side will increase air flow to make sure that wet grass has a chance of getting into the catcher
and in the summer you can block with a 2 inch duck tape so u dont choke to death from the dust .

This answers my question of why wet grass was not getting into the catcher thanks.

please excuse my mechanical ineptness :o has any one got any tips for changing blades on the hru196.

what tools do you use. The instructions say not to remove the cutting deck and i am having trouble using a socket set i used a ring spanner and i don't think i can get the nut tight enough as blades swings back and forth easily.

cadase
06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I always take the blade carrier off , i have an air compressor,so it's pretty fast work, change over your nuts,bolts and washers frequently also

Bgs
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Cadase,

Thanks for that can I ask another newbie question ,When you use the air tool on the blade carrier how do you stop it from turning so the middle bolt can be undone.

Thanks

cadase
06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Just hold the blade carrier with the opposite hand Bgs, loosen the bolt, then grab the part that holds the blade carrier (so it doesn't slide off), take the blade carrier off, put the bolt back in (this will keep the part from sliding off) change the blades, put the carrier back on. :) hope this makes sense,

Bgs
06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for that I think i will have to invest in a air compressor super cheap has them on sale this week.

Bgs
06-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok this is as tight as i can get the blades using my hand. Is this still to loose ? should it be able to move side to side that easily.

Thanks

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/Dcann/th_100_3251.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/Dcann/?action=view&current=100_3251.flv)

cadase
06-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Na they shouldn't be moving that easily.
try changing the nuts bolts and washers, if the washers have flattened out ditch them.

kakegc
07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
G'day Bgs, as long as they're done up tight, they're sweet mate! :) they're called swing back blades. some of the manufacturers blades swing a lot easier than others do. if you're using a socket, try switching to a ring spanner & whack the spanner with a hammer when you are tightening the bolts up just to make sure they're tight.

TIP: remove the spark plug lead & earth it somewhere. Tilt the mower over onto its side towards the oil filler cap & remove the blade disk with a ring spanner (or air tool if you've got one) Then remove the blade carrier boss. Stand the mower upright & move it away from where you're working. Then remove all of the old blades from the disk. Replace them with new blades (& bolts if necessary) Tip the mower back over (always towards that oil filler cap) & put the boss back on. Put the disk onto the boss & then tighten up the disk (use a ring spanner & a hammer, or air tool as described above) Replace the spark plug lead & off you go! :russ:

kakegc
07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I should mention that when you use the hammer, a few light whacks is enough, don't go overboard or you'll snap the bolts! ;)

Bgs
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I took it to the mower shop this morning and they put them on nice and tight for me.

Now that i know what i am doing I will have another go my self next time :)

Bgs
19-02-2008, 11:13 PM
G'day Bgs, as long as they're done up tight, they're sweet mate! :) they're called swing back blades. some of the manufacturers blades swing a lot easier than others do. if you're using a socket, try switching to a ring spanner & whack the spanner with a hammer when you are tightening the bolts up just to make sure they're tight.

TIP: remove the spark plug lead & earth it somewhere. Tilt the mower over onto its side towards the oil filler cap & remove the blade disk with a ring spanner (or air tool if you've got one) Then remove the blade carrier boss. Stand the mower upright & move it away from where you're working. Then remove all of the old blades from the disk. Replace them with new blades (& bolts if necessary) Tip the mower back over (always towards that oil filler cap) & put the boss back on. Put the disk onto the boss & then tighten up the disk (use a ring spanner & a hammer, or air tool as described above) Replace the spark plug lead & off you go! :russ:

Had a crack at this myself again tonight, took the blade carrier off and replaced all the blades with out drama.

I forgot to remove the blade carrier boss and when I sat the mower back down it fell off, there was a little moon shape piece of metal that fell out with the boss looking at the shaft there are two small slots that this fits into I am assuming this is where it goes , Is this where it goes and should there be two :i dunno:

Thank you :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Bgs
19-02-2008, 11:24 PM
by moon shape I mean half circle :o

Lancat
20-02-2008, 12:48 AM
It slides / sits in the main shaft. The boss is keyed so that you can then slide it back onto the main shaft.

That little half moon thing acts like a shear pin. If you hit something hard enough that small piece of metal is meant to break.

heggie
20-02-2008, 07:18 AM
its called a woodruff key or half-moon key, if anyone needs to get one
cheers heggie

administrator
02-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Honda blades instead of using four which is great when grass is lush or wet , when grass is dry two will cut very nicely as well save you money all day long

glassngrass
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
When replacing mower blades, which way should the washers face? Arch up? Aurch down? Does it matter?

lifestyle
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
its called a woodruff key or half-moon key, if anyone needs to get one
cheers heggie

I think its also referred to as a "key way".. thats what my old man used to call them any way.

danz
21-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Had a crack at this myself again tonight, took the blade carrier off and replaced all the blades with out drama.

I forgot to remove the blade carrier boss and when I sat the mower back down it fell off, there was a little moon shape piece of metal that fell out with the boss looking at the shaft there are two small slots that this fits into I am assuming this is where it goes , Is this where it goes and should there be two :i dunno:

Thank you :wave-hi: :wave-hi:

Gday mate,, i changed the blades the other day on my honda which is quite new, i only seen one moon shape bit of metal, but there are two grooves, So is there meant to be two? does anyone know

danz
21-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Is there meant to be two moon shaped bits or of metal or boss keys whatever we call em, as there is 2 grooves? does anyone know, sorry ive had a couple tonight lol

Bgs
21-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Is there meant to be two moon shaped bits or of metal or boss keys whatever we call em, as there is 2 grooves? does anyone know, sorry ive had a couple tonight lol

Hi Danz, I believe there is only one, I finally got an air compressor after writing that post it sure makes changing the blades a breeze now, I also followed Simons suggestion and got a extra blade carrier So I have one ready to go when needed.

administrator
21-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Just the one keyway or half moon hehe

simo
22-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Ratchet ring spanners are great for blade replacment much quicker & easier than standard spanner ;)

63impala
23-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Same as a rattle gun easer than a spanner.

Bgs
29-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Having real trouble changing the blades tonight, I can not get the blade carrier off using a air compressor and rattle gun, or a ring spanner and brute force the bolt is actually starting to strip any suggestions?

Thank you :wave-hi:

Hustler
29-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Hit the bolt with a copper hammer it usely frees it it has worked for me in the past regards nev

geoff
29-10-2008, 08:23 PM
i know it costs same thing happened to me so i would suggest the mower shop... iknow swallow the pride but these guys have done it time and time again.....u can dreach with wd and so on but sometimes they are little !@#$$ when it happened to me i used like multi grip but this thing has a locking system to you can even move striped bolts....then once done replace bolt ...of course

geoff
29-10-2008, 08:25 PM
good one nev my mower repair man said that too....... how have u been mate

Hustler
29-10-2008, 08:29 PM
im good i dont say much here any more to much conflict so better of shutting up :who-knows :who-knows :boxer: :boxer: :frightene :frightene :who-knows :who-knows :who-knows :frightene :frightene :frightene

Bgs
29-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies I'll try the hammer in the morning and see how I go. :wave-hi:

geoff
29-10-2008, 08:34 PM
well nev i reckon your comments are very informative so we need it mate

holdenhead
30-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi all, just read whats going on here and just yesturday I stripped the nut on my blade carrier. Changed one mowers blades and got to second mower with rattle gun but wasn't watching and didn't realise the bolt wasn't moving. blades aren't too bad I guess and didn't have time to muck with it so will have to fix it on the weekend. How can you lock the blade carrier on a honda?? It's a multi grip job now.

Cheers Rick

mowjoman
30-10-2008, 07:01 AM
This might sound like a silly question but I always have trouble removing the blade carrier. I dont have a rattle gun so I use a ringy. Question is...is there an easy way to secure the carrier while undoing the main bolt other that trying to hold it with your hand? :o

Bgs
30-10-2008, 07:14 AM
This might sound like a silly question but I always have trouble removing the blade carrier. I dont have a rattle gun so I use a ringy. Question is...is there an easy way to secure the carrier while undoing the main bolt other that trying to hold it with your hand? :o

Hey mojoman I use a pair of vice grips wedge in to hold it place. it then frees up both hands to remove the bolt.

glassngrass
30-10-2008, 12:35 PM
A small electric rattle gun works so well that nothing more than a shod foot on the carrier is required - 3 second job!

Gary
30-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Use a block of wood and jam a blade onto it - this gives you the leverage to undo bolt. We sharpen our blades at least once a week
and don't have any problems undoing bolt. (You don't need to overtighten.)

Bgs
30-10-2008, 10:19 PM
and don't have any problems undoing bolt. (You don't need to overtighten.)

As I just found out :o :o , Mower shop took it off for me today using a oxy torch :laughing:

mowjoman
31-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Nice, thanks for the advice guys :wave-hi: