PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Club

Andy B
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi All,

Who's clocked the magic 10 yards in a day by themselves?????

Yard = at least a nature strip and a front yard.

I haven't done it yet although I've clocked 7 many times which have only had a max of 3 without back yards.

SouthCoast Walker
09-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Yep, 12 lawns and a swimming pool service is my best day on my own. I am in a rural area too so no small home unit size yards. Managed to put a rock through my ute window on the final yard which put a dampener on proceedings.

The Local Gardener
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

I haven't done it yet although I've clocked 7 many times which have only had a max of 3 without back yards.

on average most of us will do around 6-9 per day. People will talk it up, I placed a post on this topic a few years ago, suss it out...

Stripes
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
My record is 14 in one day including 9 cylinder mown lawns. It was after I had a few days off after my son was diagnosed as being a diabetic and I had to catch up. I started at 7 and finished around 6 almost in the dark. My next best is 12 but I was regularly knocking off 11 each Friday for a while there. Not worth it though as I was too tired and sore for a few days after.

Scooby Steve
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
My record achieved when i was much younger than today was 24 large lawns in a day (12 hour day). Back then you had much more work that was closer together so you could knock off a lot more in the day and it wasn't uncommon to have 5 or more lawns side by side.

Today most contractors i know would average 10 average sized lawns in a day.

The Local Gardener
09-05-2010, 02:08 PM
My record achieved when i was much younger than today was 24 large lawns in a day (12 hour day). Back then you had much more work that was closer together so you could knock off a lot more in the day and it wasn't uncommon to have 5 or more lawns side by side.

Today most contractors i know would average 10 average sized lawns in a day.

All at $50 I hope, 10 a day at 30, not for me... :russ: :laughing: I know, I know, I am a princess.... :cool: :laughing:

Scooby Steve
09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
All at $50 I hope, 10 a day at 30, not for me... :russ: :laughing: I know, I know, I am a princess.... :cool: :laughing:

$50 not likely in the sth east mate, maybe i might have to start working where you are sounds like great prices in those leafy eastern suburbs :laughing: .

Eastwood
09-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi All,

The best i've done is 9 front,back and nature strip and I was totally stuffed after this .Next day I only managed 4.

jas
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
The best I have done was 14 on a Xmas eve, with the help of a ride-on though!

When I was a bit younger I would try and do between 8 and 10 a day, but now I'm happy with 7 a day.

Cheers
jas.

Andy B
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
on average most of us will do around 6-9 per day. People will talk it up, I placed a post on this topic a few years ago, suss it out...

Just found it TLG, saw a lot of good threads you started too, well done!

Here's the one you mentioned.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2256&page=1&pp=15

Andy B
28-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm proud as punch! I'm not sure if I'm still considered a rookie but I cracked my 7 lawns in a day barrier today and did 8 and 1hrs poisoning. Started after 9am and finished at quarter past 5. Great day, good weather and touch wood no machinery or any other dramas despite 1 cancellation which I refilled by driving 2 suburbs away.

I don't really want to blow my own horn, I submitted this more as a tribute to all you guys who have helped me and each other not only by showing how to build a business but also for all the miscellaneous tips about the variety of challenges we face on a daily basis from what tools to use to how to schedule your runs! Thanks everyone, after today I reckon I'll be able to reach that illusive 10 in a day with a few more regulars and an earlier start or later finish.

South East Mowing
28-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm proud as punch! I'm not sure if I'm still considered a rookie but I cracked my 7 lawns in a day barrier today and did 8 and 1hrs poisoning. Started after 9am and finished at quarter past 5. Great day, good weather and touch wood no machinery or any other dramas despite 1 cancellation which I refilled by driving 2 suburbs away.

I don't really want to blow my own horn, I submitted this more as a tribute to all you guys who have helped me and each other not only by showing how to build a business but also for all the miscellaneous tips about the variety of challenges we face on a daily basis from what tools to use to how to schedule your runs! Thanks everyone, after today I reckon I'll be able to reach that illusive 10 in a day with a few more regulars and an earlier start or later finish.

How long did you manage for lunch, 45mins or 60mins???:who-knows

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Did 10 and a spraying job today. At my first lawn 8.30am in carrum downs. Down to Franston back to cranny up to narre warren and finish back in cranny. Plus 2 quotes and finish at 7. Way too much traveling. Same again tomorrow but all in cranny north and narre warren south so a much easier day. All with pushy 217 :stormtrooper Ha Ha. It is hard work though.

Andy B
28-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Lunch break? The poisoning job was a break except on my back, gotta get a longer nozzle... (leave it alone :D) I had a packed lunch in my car and food and drink during and between jobs through out the day.

Awesome Cranbourne!

I reckon it takes a fair bit to get there, not only do you need have the fitness, you also have to have all your machines going well and of course you need the client base as well.

The Local Gardener
28-10-2010, 10:15 PM

your welcome AB

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-10-2010, 10:34 PM
It is a good feeling Andy when you reach those milestones.

I complain that I'm buggered on days like that but at the same time you get to a point in the day where you seem to get a second wind and think I wonder how many I can get done.

Besides I like watching my wallet get thicker as the day goes on.:D

courty
28-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I submitted this more as a tribute to all you guys who have helped me and each other not only by showing how to build a business but also for all the miscellaneous tips about the variety of challenges we face on a daily basis from what tools to use to how to schedule your runs! Thanks everyone, after today I reckon I'll be able to reach that illusive 10 in a day with a few more regulars and an earlier start or later finish.

Ditto Andy,I have my first 7 lawn day tomorrow,the help in here has been invaluable.I'd hate to think how I'd be going without this place.

courty
29-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Well I got em done,but can't claim them,Ended up with the old man for company and he did some blowin & Mowin . Managed to squeeze in four quotes as well though and booked 3 for next week so all is good.

phaedo
29-10-2010, 06:24 PM
4 days this week, around 400km, 41 lawns total plus doing 2 hours on the ride on and some hedging, 46 hours total (and still a job to do saturday.)

holdenhead
29-10-2010, 09:16 PM
A few years ago I did 22, some just front some front and back. I had 50 lawns all in one housing estate at that stage so each job was within 5 mins. Started at 7 finished at about 8pm. Daylight savings of course. I used to run with the mower. My average day now is 10. Sometimes 7-8 sometimes 11-12. I was working harder not smarter, now I try for the other way around.

Dont try it you can really hurt yourself if you keep that up too long.

Cheers Rick

Bluey
30-10-2010, 08:48 PM
If we go on that vein then I do 110 in 6hrs with edging and mowing

Andy B
31-10-2010, 08:35 AM
A few years ago I did 22, some just front some front and back. I had 50 lawns all in one housing estate at that stage so each job was within 5 mins. Started at 7 finished at about 8pm. Daylight savings of course. I used to run with the mower. My average day now is 10. Sometimes 7-8 sometimes 11-12. I was working harder not smarter, now I try for the other way around.

Dont try it you can really hurt yourself if you keep that up too long.

Cheers Rick

50 lawns in one estate is a dream!

Bgs
31-10-2010, 08:49 AM
4 days this week, around 400km, 41 lawns total plus doing 2 hours on the ride on and some hedging, 46 hours total (and still a job to do saturday.)

46 hours in 4 days what time do you start and finish??

Stripes
31-10-2010, 08:51 AM
A few more of my lawn pics -from Friday...

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-10-2010, 09:12 AM
If we go on that vein then I do 110 in 6hrs with edging and mowing

Hey bluey is that meant to be 10, 11 or 110:)

Andy. Rick was a figure in nearly every street. I used to see him all over the place in our estate. He mowed friends of mine as well.

When I worked with him a couple of times when I started, nearly killed me. I still haven't seen anyone that can wipper a place as quick as rick.

Stripes
31-10-2010, 09:24 AM
A few more of my lawn pics -from Friday...

wtf? wrong thread...

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-10-2010, 09:36 AM
wtf? wrong thread...

Ha Ha :whipit Very nice work though Stripes

phaedo
31-10-2010, 09:37 AM
46 hours in 4 days what time do you start and finish??

That total was from my doorstep in the morning to my doorstep at night, out the door about 6.45 for a 7am start, 2 days I finished the last job about 7.30 (just on dark) and between 5 and 6Pm finishes the other 2 days.

What is more concerning, spring growth hasn't really taken off yet here, and am this busy. Might need an offsider soon I think, but with travel it may not be worth it...

VJinTownsville
31-10-2010, 11:00 PM
wtf? wrong thread...

i think stripes just did 13 lawns that day and was too knackered to double check the thread first lol

holdenhead
31-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Can tell you too all those 50 odd lawns in one estate came from 500 flyers when I first started this round up about 5 years ago. Did lawns a little cheaper then with conditions. It was $12 front yard $24 Front and back 2-3 weekly cuts average sized estate blocks, all clippings in their bin and mowed on a certain day. And it worked out great. I did this in 4 seperate areas including my own estate. Each area had a different day that I could be there and if they wanted the lawn done for the price I gave them it would have to be then. Until I sold part of my run recently I was still in Lynbrook estate every friday, start in there in the morning and wouldn't leave until the arvo. I know those prices sound cheap and they are but you end up with 4-5 jobs side by side at times so it works out ok. I am aiming for larger jobs now. Although I still have 30-40 lawns in my own estate.

Cheers Rick

Stripes
01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
i think stripes just did 13 lawns that day and was too knackered to double check the thread first lol

I don't know what I was doing! I was half asleep I think.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I wouldnt have belived it possible untill today but I did ten yards today on my own if you count the 4 flats as four yards then that would mean 13 but ill leave it at ten. and they where spread out all over townsille i had one in west end then went and did 2 in annandale then went and did 3 in kirwan then went and did one in nth ward one in belgiam gardens went to annandale did a quote did one in pimlico and then went and did one in garbutt. and in the middle picked up my wife and took her to work. The 550 gees it moes and had me running around if i can kee this up for the wet season ill make some good money but gee i ffeel had it now.

VJinTownsville
23-12-2010, 10:24 PM
well done dan thats a great effort. considering its been horrible weather thats aa great achievement...you beat me by 8 yards today lol

its good youve got the 550...it makes me take out my 550 out of retirement and put it to good use

Andy B
24-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Well done tllg! I still haven't cracked it yet, I'm stuck on 8 after cracking that several times.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
24-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Gees i have had 2 good days I mowed 5 regular yards today and had gotten a phone call from a guy saying he would pay 300 if i could do his yard before xmas, I was thinking what sort of mess am i going to come across offering that money. It was slightly longer than average but not too bad job took me an hour on my own. Not bad 300 for an hours work.

Bluey
24-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Gees i have had 2 good days I mowed 5 regular yards today and had gotten a phone call from a guy saying he would pay 300 if i could do his yard before xmas, I was thinking what sort of mess am i going to come across offering that money. It was slightly longer than average but not too bad job took me an hour on my own. Not bad 300 for an hours work.

Bloody good Xmas bonus that one. Don't you just love cashed up lazy people.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
24-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Bloody good Xmas bonus that one. Don't you just love cashed up lazy people.

yeap that was the high light of my week help pay for the 550 i had to buy this week.

Bgs
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi Andy I am seeking clarification on the rules to join the mile high club lol:laughing:

I went for the magic 10 yesterday got to my 10th lawn and the back gate was locked :dean: so was only able to do the front lawn and nature strip.

I had been psyching myself up all day and It was so disappointing to find the gate locked.

I was going to go do another to well and truly get the 10 but was so knackered called it a day

So I visited 10 properties but only did 9 and ½ did I make the cut lol

PaulG
04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
You guys must do small lawns with short grass! Everything I do here seems to take about 1.5 hours so with travel and dump etc I'm lucky to do 4 lawns in a day.

I make more income from my gardening jobs where I can spend a half or full day at one or two locations.

Bgs
04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
You guys must do small lawns with short grass! Everything I do here seems to take about 1.5 hours so with travel and dump etc I'm lucky to do 4 lawns in a day.

I make more income from my gardening jobs where I can spend a half or full day at one or two locations.

Yep you can make good money on Gardening Jobs but Lawn mowing is my bread and butter.

It was a 9 hour day 7:30 to 4:30 It took me 6 hours and 40 mins to do them all so it averaged to 40 mins each and I spent 2 hours and 20 mins driving all regular 2 weekly mows no long grass.

PaulG
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Couch, Buffalo or Kikuyu B?

98% of what I do daily are Kikuyu about 6 to 8 inches tall and thick. And come to think of it a lot of corner and/or large blocks 1000m square.

Bgs
04-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Couch, Buffalo or Kikuyu B?

98% of what I do daily are Kikuyu about 6 to 8 inches tall and thick. And come to think of it a lot of corner and/or large blocks 1000m square.

About 50/50 couch and buffalo I don’t have any kikuyu lawns don't even know if it’s common in Brisbane.

Reading about it on here I am glad I dont have any sounds like a very demanding grass to keep up with.