PDA

View Full Version : shindy t260 probs

BLACK BEAR
18-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Have an old t260 I rebuilt using some spare parts from another motor. Worked well for 3 months last year when i needed it but 1 day it just stopped and now does not want to start again.
I can get it started and keep it running by spraying carby clean in carby but not any other means.
Any ideas, as it has plenty of power forclean up jobs etc.

63impala
18-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Stripe down the carpy clean it and se if all the diaframes are sweet... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Fred's mowing
18-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Its obviously a fuel prob.
Check the filter, check the lines, any water get in the fuel?
Then as Imp said check the carby, if u got another carby, same model, try that. Or u may need a carby kit.
Cheers Dean.

Wattle GC
19-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Yep check carby and filters or buy a husky.

South East Mowing
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Didnt put a carby kit in yet - they wanted $65, so I had another look. Took off fuel filter. Lightly blew compressed air into fuel line & primed, guess what it started but would only run on choke & eventually died. Did it a few more times exactly like that with same result- would not revf out just died. Would not start unless I blew compressed ait into fuel lines. Now im far from being a mechanic but far from being a fool but i obviously have a blockage. Where should i start with carby?? I dont have much experience with shindy carbies!!:wtf

holdenhead
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I finally got my 4 mix sthil back from the shop the other day after about 6 months. They had trouble getting bits. Ended up with a new carby. Probly done 18 months work and had 2 kits put through it and now a new carby. Was at a different mower shop today picking up a mower and mentioned the bloody sthil. He told me it's a common problem with them and all he does is soak the carby in dish detergent and water for a day or so?????? Prime it to get it right in there. He says it works a treat. Not sure if he's pulling my leg or not.

geoff1969
09-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I finally got my 4 mix sthil back from the shop the other day after about 6 months. They had trouble getting bits. Ended up with a new carby. Probly done 18 months work and had 2 kits put through it and now a new carby. Was at a different mower shop today picking up a mower and mentioned the bloody sthil. He told me it's a common problem with them and all he does is soak the carby in dish detergent and water for a day or so?????? Prime it to get it right in there. He says it works a treat. Not sure if he's pulling my leg or not.

dont know about dish wasing liquid but farther inlawn a logger for years used to soak the carby in fuel system cleaner to remove all the varnish and buid up also he used to say that it would re-expand the gaskets ... = carby would be like brand new ..

geoff
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Geoff thats is correct , my logging forefathers have done that very thing, then again being from up your way thats just commonsense in the bush

geoff1969
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Geoff thats is correct , my logging forefathers have done that very thing, then again being from up your way thats just commonsense in the bush

yep you can learn a lot off those old blokes and thay speak with hands on experience not from text book ....

Fred's mowing
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Was his name Maj?:laughing:
Cheers Dean.

MOWON
10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Stripe down the carpy clean it and se if all the diaframes are sweet... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi Impala
Do you find your Stihls compared to other machines are quite hard on carbies and the diaphram keeps stuffing out after a few years.

Not sure if you can buy a diaphram without buying a whole carbie kit but my fs 85 likes the tank at least half filled but my other machines never have the same trouble.
What do you think Kev???:help:help

simo
10-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Impala
Do you find your Stihls compared to other machines are quite hard on carbies and the diaphram keeps stuffing out after a few years.

Not sure if you can buy a diaphram without buying a whole carbie kit but my fs 85 likes the tank at least half filled but my other machines never have the same trouble.
What do you think Kev???:help:help While were on the subject of stilh`s fs85 inparticular mine vibrates badly especialy at low rev`s ,its only 6months old and its getting worse every day..I took it back to the dealer only to be told can`t be fixed "that`s just how stilhs are" ..
never had a stihl before so not sure if this is right.. and if so :mad::mad::mad:..Thinking of taking it to another stilh dealer 40k away just to get a second opion..

geoff1969
10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
While were on the subject of stilh`s fs85 inparticular mine vibrates badly especialy at low rev`s ,its only 6months old and its getting worse every day..I took it back to the dealer only to be told can`t be fixed "that`s just how stilhs are" ..
never had a stihl before so not sure if this is right.. and if so :mad::mad::mad:..Thinking of taking it to another stilh dealer 40k away just to get a second opion..

mine has very small viberation in it but when it was new after about 50 hours of use viberation got bad , took back to shop and the young bloke swaped the head over no problems since ...problem was at slow revs it would viberate but at higher revs the cutting head would find its own centre of gravity but he said at slow revs eventualy it would stuff the shaft

simo
10-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I`ve changed the head no diference it`s got alloy head..the dealer greased the shaft and gave it a service but it`s stihl a bastard vibrator..

63impala
10-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey fellas who love the stihl fs85......Have a look a the fuel cap and see if you need a new one or fuel filter and that vibrastion sound like something to to with the shaft....

Cheap carby kits....MowOn
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ZAMA-Carb-kit-STIHL-FS80-FS85-FS55-HS85-FC75-RB-66-/140411813111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b1323cf7

Hi Impala

What do you think Kev???:help:help

geoff1969
10-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I`ve changed the head no diference it`s got alloy head..the dealer greased the shaft and gave it a service but it`s stihl a bastard vibrator..

well if heads been change would be looking at the shaft as impala said or even the gears where the cutting head attaches maybe problem in there

DavidS
10-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Simo, unbolt the shaft from the motor unit and then run the motor unit, if the vibration is still there then you need to take the clutch housing off the unit and try again. If the vibration went when you took the shaft off the housing you know that it's in the shaft section.

I had a Honda that had vibration, it turned out that there was a buildup of crap in the clutch housing. I scrapped the housing clean and the vibration has gone.

holdenhead
11-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Yes my sthil fs90 vibrates a bit, it always has. I love the torque it has but as someone else said it starts to play up when the tank gets below half. And the carby probs I have had will keep me from buying another. The dealer told me it's my dirty fuel that has caused the probs, but had no trouble with the echo blowers or shindy whippers using the same fuel. And i think I said before about trying to get parts for it when sthil keep changing things. It's a bit frustrating when they say they dont have parts for this carby on this sniper that is 18 months old yet you can still buy the same model new.

Cheers Rick

GreenHaven
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Simo, unbolt the shaft from the motor unit and then run the motor unit, if the vibration is still there then you need to take the clutch housing off the unit and try again. If the vibration went when you took the shaft off the housing you know that it's in the shaft section.

I had a Honda that had vibration, it turned out that there was a buildup of crap in the clutch housing. I scrapped the housing clean and the vibration has gone.

i agree worn gearboxes dont really cause vibration they whine and click when there really bad same with a worn shaft they whine to i know because mines is worn and it whines nicly. i'd be pulling the clutch apart and having a look something is out of balance.

HPM
22-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Has anyone fixed this before..Shindi 260.. when at idle the bumpfeeder keeps spinning. When you stop the bumpfeeder from spinning it stalls the engine...Any advice before i strip it down would be helpfull..

SM MOWING
22-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Sounds like the clutch is catching somehow.....either through dirt/grime in the cluch area or possibly a clutch malfunction. High idle speed could also do this. Id see if the clutch area clear and the parts arnt to worn, lots of use leaves a mess of crap in the cluch casing. then try adjusting the idle speed....id also give the carby a clean in the process...............if in doubt take it to a local shop

ian
22-09-2011, 10:43 PM
clean air filter ,clean around engine and adjust the idle that's all i can think off
and make sure the throttle cable isn't sticking

HPM
22-09-2011, 10:46 PM
looks like somebody couldnt work it out so they are selling it piece by piece.
http://www.hwlr.com.au/index.php/used-lawnmower-and-whipper-snipper-parts/149-shindaiwa-s20e-whipper-snipper-parts
Hope this isnt me on Monday....

Chris B
22-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Has anyone fixed this before..Shindi 260.. when at idle the bumpfeeder keeps spinning. When you stop the bumpfeeder from spinning it stalls the engine...Any advice before i strip it down would be helpfull..

I'm almost positive that you've snapped the clutch spring ... simple super cheap fix :)

If that's the case then the spring isn't holding back the clutch shoes from engaging at low revs , which causes the head to spin, and stall the engine when you stop it.

HPM
25-09-2011, 08:55 PM
396739683969Replaced the clutch spring today for $5.oo. Took me 2 beers and about an hour which included a full strip and clean.
Cant wait to give it a run tomorrow. Test run in the shed had it running as good as new...love it..

HPM
26-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Gave it a run at work today and couldnt believe the difference..awesome..its amazing what you can get used to.
This whippy was going so bad but due to me using it every day... i really didnt notice...It now performs like a new one..
Thanks for your ideas. I got the parts before pulling it apart and it was only out of action for a few hours.."Love It".. :dance :dance

South East Mowing
26-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Gave it a run at work today and couldnt believe the difference..awesome..its amazing what you can get used to.
This whippy was going so bad but due to me using it every day... i really didnt notice...It now performs like a new one..
Thanks for your ideas. I got the parts before pulling it apart and it was only out of action for a few hours.."Love It".. :dance :dance
Well done mate. I generally know bugger all about most gear but by trial and error I often get it fixed - thats why I have spares.
It's a good feeling knowing you havnt parted with your hard earned cash to the mower shop!!

SM MOWING
26-09-2011, 09:11 PM
If your confident enough i wouldnt go near a repair shop unless they charged $0 for repairs! I used to work at one and seriously with a bit a confidence and common sense they are pretty easy to fix! and usually the problem is found by deduction......check compression, ingition and carby, in that order... and you cant go wrong!

Woodsy
27-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I have the Shindy T230 and I am having trouble starting it. It almost will never start on choke, seems to be flooding. Air filter smells very fuelly (if that's a word), but the spark plug appears to be fine. I have been using a 40:1 fuel/oil mix on recommendation from the mower shop. The shindy is only around 20 hours old, any suggestions as to why I could be having so much trouble starting it?

Fred's mowing
27-09-2011, 06:21 PM
If the plug is'nt wet, it cant be flooding.
Check that the carby & inlet manifold r bolted up tight.
Cheers Fred.

DavidS
27-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Woodsy how do you start it now. Have you cleaned the air filter lately. Wash it out with straight petrol and blow dry with compressed air. Check all carby mounting bolts are tight.
How many time do you pump the fuel primer before you try to start it from cold, it usually only needs 3 to 4 pumps, just watch the return line to see the petrol flowing back to tank.

ian
27-09-2011, 07:36 PM
20 hours use is it still under warranty if it is take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix the problem

Chris B
30-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I have the Shindy T230 and I am having trouble starting it. It almost will never start on choke, seems to be flooding. Air filter smells very fuelly (if that's a word), but the spark plug appears to be fine. I have been using a 40:1 fuel/oil mix on recommendation from the mower shop. The shindy is only around 20 hours old, any suggestions as to why I could be having so much trouble starting it?

We've got a couple of kombi's that never need the choke to start unless the weather is freezing cold.. so using the choke actually makes it harder to start. (usually start by pulling once without throttle and if it doesn't start then 1 or 2 pulls full throttle usually works)
maybe try that (after cleaning the filters etc)
50:1 oil mix seems like the way to go if oil is good quality also?

allo
12-05-2012, 07:25 AM
396739683969Replaced the clutch spring today for $5.oo. Took me 2 beers and about an hour which included a full strip and clean.
Cant wait to give it a run tomorrow. Test run in the shed had it running as good as new...love it..

good info hpm, i had the same problem put in new spring and then new clutch assembly and now i've got a new (5 yr old) machine. This website just keeps paying for itself. All the info you need cheers chris.