PDA

View Full Version : Shindy T230X not starting

PaulG
19-05-2010, 03:37 PM
The widow of and old friend of mine has just given me a Shindy T230X to get running for her as she wants to keep doing the gardening around their house since he passed away.

At present it's not starting. It has good compression. It has a full tank of what I presume is stale 2 stroke mix so that will be getting emptied. I will add a new spark plug, filter, clean the cooling vents, check the fuel lines for perishing and check the filter in the fuel tank.

I have heard in the past of people having issues with starting these particular models and them also stalling for no apparent reason.

They have an electronic ignition module and no High - Low adjustment screws.

If anyone has experience with maintenance on this or a similar Shindy can you let me know what else I should look at or even pinpoint a direct problem that you know of with these?

Fred's mowing
19-05-2010, 05:46 PM
You need fuel, spark & compression, which ones not happening.
Where did grease monkey go?
Cheers Dean.

BLACK BEAR
19-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Ex subbie got one like this rebuilt from a market stall. Worked for a few months and guess what - doesn't start! :i dunno: :i dunno: :i dunno: Now sitting in my garage too :laughing: Sorry i cant help :confused:

ian
19-05-2010, 10:00 PM
the carby may need a clean also if it is the electronic ignition i believe shindaiwa are supposed to have a life time warranty on this

greasemonkey
28-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Here I am haha, been super busy!

Get rid of the old stale fuel and replace/clean the fuel filter.
If it's been sitting around for a while it will most likely be gummed up fuel in the carby.

You are right about the no high speed adjustment but they do have a low speed screw. In the top of the carby, where the throttle plate is there will be a hole (or a plastic cap you can pull out) You will need a needle screw driver to get down there but you can adjust the low speed.

If it's got good compresh and spark then I'd be stripping and cleaning the carb.

Shindaiwa USED to have a lifetime ignition warranty before Allpower took over *facepalm* According to Allpower they will warrant all machines that are still less than 5 years old (the normal warranty period) but anything older than that won't be warranted whether it was sold with the lifetime warranty or not.

It's been hell being a Shindaiwa dealer recently! haha!
Anymore dramas give me a shout!

PaulG
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Just an update on this.

Did the basics as a few of you suggested. Worked out the Shindy is close to ten years old (it was her father-in-law's originally).

Cleaned fuel filter, fresh fuel, new spark plug and air filter element and presto, starts fine within a couple of pulls now. No carby adjustment or clean needed. Put a new speed head on it for her to make it easier to use and she couldn't be happier. Total cost to her by doing it myself, around $55. :)

Andy B
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Good experience and a good deed, well done!