PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Fertilisers

Pages : [1] 2

TOO EASY YARD CARE
27-05-2010, 01:45 PM
What types of fertilisers do you youse on your customers lawns are there any good

spray on ones ?????????

scotts beads that they sprinkle on what do you think is the best????

TassieXJ
28-05-2010, 06:23 AM
It depends on what the conditions are of the lawn, but l mainly use a scotts 22 + 2 + 8 that sprinlke on. I used a spreader to spread it evenly, because if put to much on one spot, it will burn the grass and die

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-05-2010, 01:20 PM
What types of fertilisers do you youse on your customers lawns are there any good

spray on ones ?????????

scotts beads that they sprinkle on what do you think is the best????

I usally use scottys lawn builder. You dont have to water it in so you can fertilize straight after mowing and leave when there water or rain comes it starts working increases roots and thickness with not really increasing hight. I used a mixture of blood and bone with roster booster on my yard once the grass went nuts. If you think the yards low on trace elements use nitrophouse blue. but you need to water hard. Urea also gives a massive boost but you need to water it all in and it is not good for the worms and micronisims in the soil so long term its not good.

Redeye
28-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't use a catcher unless absolutely necessary so my lawns don't need fertilising. That said, I use organic ferts when I do for lawns & gardens - non-organic ferts are not good for lawn/gardens in the long run, introducing salt build-up in the soil (no, not cooking salt).most granule type chemical ferts are "salt" based, and especially shouldn't be used in pot-plants.

Wattle GC
28-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Depends a little on what type of grass and soil condition..general run of the mill lawn builders are ok but grass like Nitrogen so have a look at the back of the packet and you will see a N.P.K. rating which is Nitrogen ,Phosphorus,Potassium. This is the standard formula fertilzers there is other trace elemnets such as micro nutrients like Boron Zinc Iron Selenium etc but the higher the "N" (nitrogen) rating the better for grass.
WARNING.. Read the diections carefully and apply accordingly I can tell you some customer horror stories.Do a bit of research on the net before you fertilize anything if you are not sure..Spring time for warm season grass is a good time to start fertilizing ,airating etc..

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Depends a little on what type of grass and soil condition..general run of the mill lawn builders are ok but grass like Nitrogen so have a look at the back of the packet and you will see a N.P.K. rating which is Nitrogen ,Phosphorus,Potassium. This is the standard formula fertilzers there is other trace elemnets such as micro nutrients like Boron Zinc Iron Selenium etc but the higher the "N" (nitrogen) rating the better for grass.
WARNING.. Read the diections carefully and apply accordingly I can tell you some customer horror stories.Do a bit of research on the net before you fertilize anything if you are not sure..Spring time for warm season grass is a good time to start fertilizing ,airating etc..

Spring time is the best time to fert with a nitrogen high fert in early autum you want a potasium based one to increase root growth for the lacking water and cold frosts if you get them. But personally i fertilize at any time the customer asks me to fertilize I tell them its not the best time of year but i do it if they insist and willing to pay.

administrator
30-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Lawn Fertilization
People say lawn fertilizer is food for grass. That's really not correct. Grass makes it own food. In fact it is a solar power food generator.

The plant cells of turfgrass are very good at changing solar radiation into food that the plant uses to make new plant cells, convert carbon dioxide and other gases we now know as pollutants, into oxygen.

Fertilizers are elements and compounds that microbes in the soil help break down into solutions that are soaked into the root system of the grass.

These solutions that are created in the soil, make it possible for the turf grass to convert solar energy into food.

There's plenty of discussion about using "artificial" and "natural or organic" fertilizers. There's hardly any difference at all between the two.

They both have the same chemical elements. The difference is that the natural or organic fertilizers take the microbes longer to break down into solution that the roots can absorb.

Do a soil test to find out if the soil is sterile if there are no microbes no microbe activity and you need the activity to turn fertilizers into the right solution that your lawn can use .You can apply as much fertilizer as you like but if the soil isnt any good wont do you grass any good .
Quality lawns begin with quality soils.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=2761&highlight=fertilisers

Peter Nolan
28-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Any comments good or bad on nitraphoska?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Any comments good or bad on nitraphoska?

The guy at primac put me on to nitraphoska blue brought my mandarine tree back around i had tried several other trace element fertilizers with no luck prior. Haven't tried it on grass but made the garden shoot up nicely.

DavidS
29-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Nitraphoska is a good fertiliser for new lawns, plenty of phosphors and potassium for roots and stem growth and also enough nitrogen for the leaf growth. I would not use it for a regular lawn fertiliser. I would use it as a new lawn booster after the fertiliser used at laying or seeding had expired.

Peter Nolan
31-07-2010, 05:41 PM
DavidS,

What would you use then?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
31-07-2010, 07:50 PM
DavidS,

What would you use then?

Scottys lawn builder it is great stuff and you put it out and dont have to worry about watering it in just goes in with the irrigation or rain but now is the wrong time to fertilize.(if your talking grass)

DavidS
31-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah I agree with Tender, use Scotts Lawn Builder in early September

Christine Wharton
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
We've been using Lawn Builder fertiliser here and there of late - we used it on our own lawn before winter and it has boosted it through the fairly dormant period.

m287j
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
The Scotts lawn builder with weed kill seems no good though, had no effect on weeds in a lawn i trialled it on last spring.

TassieXJ
03-08-2010, 09:59 PM
The Scotts lawn builder with weed kill seems no good though, had no effect on weeds in a lawn i trialled it on last spring.

I dont know if its the same, but scotts detoc III (l think thats what is called) which has the weed killer in it, work great, killed 90%

imoww
07-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Mt dad has Sir Walter Bufalo but it seemes to die this time of the year and grows back in a month or two. Is there a fertiliser for this?
Recently Ive used Sulpha amonia and it works great on other lawns. I used it on my lawn 3 weeks ago and now Im mowing it once a week.

lenny
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Mt dad has Sir Walter Bufalo but it seemes to die this time of the year and grows back in a month or two. Is there a fertiliser for this?
Recently Ive used Sulpha amonia and it works great on other lawns. I used it on my lawn 3 weeks ago and now Im mowing it once a week.

Imoww I wouldn't keep using sulphate of ammonia as your only fertiliser. It has a very high nitrogen content and is very acidic which if continually used in the long run will be bad for the ph of the lawn. You should use a balanced N:P:K ratio fertiliser. As a lot of the guys have mentioned on here Scotts lawnbuilder is good.

imoww
07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks Lenny.
I didnt know that. I knew sulphate would be a hazzard if used extensively due to the burning. Ive been using Scotts lawn builder for at least a year but nothing really happened to the lawn. Would you know if the sulphate is good to kick start a lawn in a shadded area?

ian
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
imoww buffalo goes dormant over winter as it is a warm season grass so there isn't a fertilizer to green it up only sunlight and warmth

GreenHaven
07-08-2010, 10:24 PM
good call ian ive got sir walter in my backyard and it gets full shade from my patio in winter and doesnt get mowed all winter but come summer time it will fill in fully as the suns higher so it gets some sun and will need cutting weekly some times every 5 days. ive had customers with the same issue and i just tell them thats the way it is look after it during summer and it might be a little better next winter but proberly not

DavidS
08-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi Imow,

Yes sulphate ammonia is a good kick starter for all lawns, just be aware not to put it on and leave it. It will burn the grass. Best way with all fertilsers for lawns is to water the lawn the day before then fertilse and water the fertliser in, even with the no water fertilisers they just sit there until it rains or heavy dew to water it in.
I use a slow release fertiliser with a balanced N.P.K for my lawns, I only have to fertilise once every 8 to 10 weeks.

ian
08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
good call ian ive got sir walter in my backyard and it gets full shade from my patio in winter and doesnt get mowed all winter but come summer time it will fill in fully as the suns higher so it gets some sun and will need cutting weekly some times every 5 days. ive had customers with the same issue and i just tell them thats the way it is look after it during summer and it might be a little better next winter but proberly not

i tell my client buffalo and kikuyu will probably look very ordinary in winter when you will spend most of your time inside but look great in summer even during drought and this is when you are outside

imoww
09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Imow,

Yes sulphate ammonia is a good kick starter for all lawns, just be aware not to put it on and leave it. It will burn the grass. Best way with all fertilsers for lawns is to water the lawn the day before then fertilse and water the fertliser in, even with the no water fertilisers they just sit there until it rains or heavy dew to water it in.
I use a slow release fertiliser with a balanced N.P.K for my lawns, I only have to fertilise once every 8 to 10 weeks.
Hi David.
Yeah... I watered the lawn just before the sulpha was put on the lawn. Then gave it a good watering after that. Then it rained for the next 4days.... I woudlnt put sulpha down without watering...

4 Gardens
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know of a good weed and feed that doesnt need any watering in. Scotts regular is great as a straight fert but what about a weed and feed???

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know of a good weed and feed that doesnt need any watering in. Scotts regular is great as a straight fert but what about a weed and feed???

none that i am aware of

DavidS
03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
There is none on the market because you need the water to active the herbicide, Scotts is the best does not have to be watered in straight away but must be watered in within 24hrs.

fairdinkum
04-09-2010, 06:05 AM
I just use no 17 fertiliser here. Water lawns first, spread fertiliser as per instructions then water heavily....even better wait for a rainy day to do it. After a couple of weeks if the weeds come up i will spray them....weed killer is much more effective if the weeds are actively growing as it is absorbed through the leaves.

TassieXJ
04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
There is none on the market because you need the water to active the herbicide, Scotts is the best does not have to be watered in straight away but must be watered in within 24hrs.

Unless l was told/readed wrong the Decot 111 (scotts brand), it can't be watered for 24hrs

I could be wrong

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Unless l was told/readed wrong the Decot 111 (scotts brand), it can't be watered for 24hrs

I could be wrong

I think that is wrong.

PaulG
09-09-2010, 02:07 AM
Scott's Lawn Builder seems expensive for the pack sizes the biggest being only 8kgs.
Is anyone using good old Crop King 88 or Dynamic Lifter Turf Blend? I've been thinking of giving it a go (the DL that is).

Peter Nolan
09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
There are 20 kg bags available. I paid $80 recently. Plus the amount required is less than others, so less bulk. Spread rate is 1.6kg per 100sqm. Since my first post I've used Scotts several times. I am happy with the results and I'm using a wheeled spreader it is very fast in application. I have also bought the 4kg Lawn build with weeder. Bunnings price $33 while Big W varies $33 to $38. I have recently seen a very weed infested lawn look respectable after using it. Not having to water in straight away also saves time. Plus you even apply it after you mow and then get the customer or the weather to water it in a few days later.[ no worries of lawn burn] This saves making 2 visits. In January I'll be trying the Lawn Build with lawn grub killer.

Regards Peter

imoww
14-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Has anyone used seasol for lush green lawns? If so, is it any good to bring lawns back to life? Or is Scotts lawn builder the still the best?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
14-09-2010, 07:23 AM
Has anyone used seasol for lush green lawns? If so, is it any good to bring lawns back to life? Or is Scotts lawn builder the still the best?

Ive used seasol on gardens seem to be alright but i would just stick to scotts on grass if you want to spend time watering in mixture of blood and bone and rooster booster makes them go nuts.

Wattle GC
14-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Seasol is an Instant type of fertilizer and more of a tonic.Although it gets to the roots quickly for almost instant greeness as it is high in nitrogen and can be taken up easily by the root system the down side is it absorbs through the soil quickly and has no real lasting effect.

Scotts,Shirleys ,Buffalo Booster etc are designed for longer lasting feeding however its best to water it in even if its not neccessary as this will get the process started more quickly and get the grass greener sooner..

Stripes
14-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Seasol isnt actually a fertiliser, more of a tonic. You have to use it with a fertiliser or it wont really do much. It has very little NPK. It is good for plants that are stressed but they need fertiliser to maintain healthy growth once they have recovered. I use Scotts Lawn builder and buy it in big packets from the wholesale nurseries where it is a good price.

Wattle GC
14-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Seasol isnt actually a fertiliser, more of a tonic. You have to use it with a fertiliser or it wont really do much. It has very little NPK. It is good for plants that are stressed but they need fertiliser to maintain healthy growth once they have recovered. I use Scotts Lawn builder and buy it in big packets from the wholesale nurseries where it is a good price.

Seasol is high in Nitrogen..It is a good product for its intended use and does not have to be mixed with other fertilizers to get good results..But i agree with my first sentance or was that yours??

Stripes
14-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Seasol is high in Nitrogen..It is a good product for its intended use and does not have to be mixed with other fertilizers to get good results..But i agree with my first sentance or was that yours??

http://www.seasol.com.au/images/stories/pdfs/analyses/seasol_retail_1_7_2007.pdf

I think you'll find its the Iron that will green the grass up for the short term if you use seasol on it. 0.1N is very low, Scotts lawn Builder has 21.6 Nitrogen, which is why Seasol should be used in conjunction with fertilisers rather than just on its own as it is really just a tonic. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just saying...

ian
14-09-2010, 07:19 PM
wattle you may be confusing seasol with seasol powerfeed which has 12-14% nitrogen

i believe seasol is also supposed to be helpful in breaking down thatch

imoww
20-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Just an update guys. That Scott's Lawn Builder is amazing... I returned to a fortnightly client yesterday to find their lawns had gone wild since i put the stuff down... Their Buffalo grass was going brown. Now a dark green and thick grass...

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
20-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Just an update guys. That Scott's Lawn Builder is amazing... I returned to a fortnightly client yesterday to find their lawns had gone wild since i put the stuff down... Their Buffalo grass was going brown. Now a dark green and thick grass...

How yeah its good stuff you defenantly dont want to put it out in summer when the rains are there as you will be mowing every second day.

m287j
21-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Used Incitec Pivot on a buffalo lawn 4 weeks ago. Very high in nitrogen, the lawn is now so thick and lush. Highly recommend this fertiliser.
It's a granule product, had to water it in very thoroughly and the client had to lightly water it the next 5 days.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
22-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Used Incitec Pivot on a buffalo lawn 4 weeks ago. Very high in nitrogen, the lawn is now so thick and lush. Highly recommend this fertiliser.
It's a granule product, had to water it in very thoroughly and the client had to lightly water it the next 5 days.

Not good for the worms though it burns them and no worms means you have to airate and fertilize more yourself.

courty
11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I just got a price on 20kgs of Scotts from their Sth Brissie Distributor $102.00 inc gst and they would have to get it in. Better off finding a good price on 3 x 8kg bags :confused:

Stripes
11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I just got a price on 20kgs of Scotts from their Sth Brissie Distributor $102.00 inc gst and they would have to get it in. Better off finding a good price on 3 x 8kg bags :confused:

I got a 20kg bag from Plantmark for $71 I think. There is a Plantmark up your way too at Merrimac? Not sure how far that is from you though!

courty
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I got a 20kg bag from Plantmark for $71 I think. There is a Plantmark up your way too at Merrimac? Not sure how far that is from you though!

Thanks Bry I'll look them up,Merrimac is only 15mins away.

Stripes
11-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks Bry I'll look them up,Merrimac is only 15mins away.

Plantmark are awesome! That's where I buy all my plants from and they pretty much have anything you need at wholesale prices. They also have some tools and ferts. Excellent for the makeovers or landscaping jobs. The only problem is everytime I go there for a job, I end up spending half the profits on plants for my place.

One thing you have to do though is register with them before you buy. To do this you need your business registration certificate and a bank statement to prove you are a legit business. Well worth it though if it is anything like the one here at kellyville which I'd say it would be very similar. Once you register you can get a password and logon to get prices online for quotes.

courty
11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Bry
I just had a look at the website and registered,fantastic just the sort of place I have been looking for.
The indi forum comes through again:cheer:

Stripes
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Bry
I just had a look at the website and registered,fantastic just the sort of place I have been looking for.
The indi forum comes through again:cheer:

Awesome. If it is like Kellyville, once you go there you will love the place. Kellyville also has a cappuccino machine that always gets a workout in the mornings. Its free too. ;)

courty
19-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Headed down to Plantmark today,picked up 20kg Scotts for $71 and a few plants to start work on the oldies front yard.two thumbs up.

Stripes
19-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Sweet as. Next time you have a makeover/landscaping job you know where to go.

imoww
30-05-2011, 01:50 AM
What's urea fertiliser like?
Does anyone use it on customer's lawns?

Christine Wharton
30-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I believe it greens up the grass quick, but the effect isn't long lasting, and it needs to be watered in or it burns the grass. We don't use it as it takes too much extra time to water in and I don't think people would be prepared to pay me to walk around watering the lawn ;)

NLALM
30-05-2011, 03:58 PM
urea is 46% nitrogen so only good for leaf growth and greening it up. I would prefer lawnbuilder or some other complete fertiliser urea nitram and sulphate of amonia are all just nitrogen.

DavidS
30-05-2011, 06:41 PM
If you want to green up lawns and have a quick growth spurt, use Urea, if you just want to green up the grass use 1/2 kg of Iron sulphate per 100m2 and water in. Otherwise use a complete fertilser with a N:P:K of something like 12:1:12 which will green the grass, but will strenghten the stems and roots more.

PaulG
30-05-2011, 06:50 PM
At this time of year an iron treatment is about the only practical fertiliser treatment for lawns and even now may be getting a little late to do so. Standard NPK ratio fertilisers should be held off until Spring.

FREEDOM LAWN SERVICES
30-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Guinness contains plenty of iron, throw a few cans of that down!

imoww
30-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice to hear the Lawn builder is still the best....
GO NSW

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
31-05-2011, 12:24 AM
What's urea fertiliser like?
Does anyone use it on customer's lawns?

I havent used it but have seen others use it gives a quick growth spurt and the darkest green grass but as others have said it is only temory and then it kills th worms and other organisms and if don a few times then left for a while the yard becomes not a very nice looking yard. I use scotts lawn builder and its great if you want a quick pick up try a mixture of blood and bone with chook manure used it on my yard once and was mowing every three days for about 6 weeks.

imoww
26-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I havent used it but have seen others use it gives a quick growth spurt and the darkest green grass but as others have said it is only temory and then it kills th worms and other organisms and if don a few times then left for a while the yard becomes not a very nice looking yard. I use scotts lawn builder and its great if you want a quick pick up try a mixture of blood and bone with chook manure used it on my yard once and was mowing every three days for about 6 weeks.

Dynamic lifter?

imoww
30-06-2011, 08:33 AM
My dad has been putting seasol on his sir walter
Lawn every month and at the moment his
Lawn is still dark green.
Buffalo is supposed to look like
Its dying this time of the year???

30-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Since the drought has broken this is the first time I have had lawn in the backyard in 7 years! Been giving it Seasol every fortnight and even a dose of Powerfeed 4 weeks ago. Mowing it once a week as it is still growing at least 3/4" in that time. Its a mixed breed of fescue, palmetto, and whatever else the put into the Brunnings Aussie lawn bags. Figured grass was was better than weeds but come the end of August it will be redone with Kike......we have 2 Shephards that turn the backyard into what looks like the the local footy team have been training when its wet.
Hose on Seasol is available from Bunnings $72 for 10L concentrate. that will cover 2 square Kilometres. I have added Seasol to those few regulars that I have....Costs about $4 an application but should ensure that I have work over the summer period. Free to those that "Like" my Facebook page but for others it is a $15 add on.

DavidS
28-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I am now starting to sell aeration, fertilise and topsoil lawns to my clients for mid September. I have nearly booked a weeks work with this service. I have booked the local aerator for the time I need it and I am also going to service my lawn while I am at it. Just a good money earner for the early season. I will put out a slow release fertiliser which will last 10 weeks so this should ensure me weekly mows for a while until the fertiliser runs out then it's time to sell another fertilise and a light dusting to fill any bumps and divots you may have missed when carrying out the intial topsoil. Use either white sand or a topsoil mix. Some people say to use river sand but I find that it does not rub into the grass as well.

courty
28-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I am now starting to sell aeration, fertilise and topsoil lawns to my clients for mid September. I have nearly booked a weeks work with this service. I have booked the local aerator for the time I need it and I am also going to service my lawn while I am at it. Just a good money earner for the early season. I will put out a slow release fertiliser which will last 10 weeks so this should ensure me weekly mows for a while until the fertiliser runs out then it's time to sell another fertilise and a light dusting to fill any bumps and divots you may have missed when carrying out the intial topsoil. Use either white sand or a topsoil mix. Some people say to use river sand but I find that it does not rub into the grass as well.

Good stuff David,I was only think about this today whilst working out a 12 mth maintenance plan for a new client.
I had some success last spring with fert applications without really pushing it,time to give it a good push I think.

MAGOO
29-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Hi David

How are you aerating? do you have a special fork or machine ? Or are you using a pitch fork?

also what slow release fertiliser are you using ?

Cheers

Craig

DavidS
29-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Hi Craig,

I use a petrol powered aerator hired form local hire shop. This lifts a small core out of the lawn and leaves it on the lawn. This will do most areas, you will need ramps to get up steps, if not you will have to use garden fork. I use Barmac Links Maintenance slow release NPK 12:1:12 but Scotts slow release is good. I aerate the lawn and then run my catcher mower over area to pick up the cores. I then spread Gypsum ( for calcium ) and slow release fertilser, I then top soil and rub it in and then I water the whole lot in. Usually I only topsoil where there are low spots. If clients wants whole lawn done then I lightly dust the whole lawn and put a bit more where the low spots are.Do not put any more than 12mm of topsoil over the grass as the lawn will struggle to get through. Hope this helps

Stripes
29-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Another little tip when you are topdressing is to roughly spread the topsoil/sand over the area and leave it to dry in the sun for a few hours so it rubs right in and you can barely see the soil afterwards. As David said I found doing the hollows with a thin layer instead of the entire lawn gives a better result. It's better to do numerous thin layers in the hollows to get it flat than one thick layer.

BTW for anyone in Sydney that needs aerating done, forum member 'MikeD' has a corer and scarifier and does a very good job.

imoww
02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I have a client who wants the weeds removed from his sir Walter buffalo.
He had purchased feed n feed I told him it may burn his lawn. As it says on the pack.
Is there anything we can use for the weeds?

Beaj
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
There is a product called "Searles Buffalo Master" at bunnings....but I use Bindie on buffalo lawns

Brad

Redlandsguy
02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Bindie will do the job, but read the instructions, especially about re-application. You can seriously damage the Buffalo with second sprays.

PaulG
05-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Craig,

I use a petrol powered aerator hired form local hire shop. This lifts a small core out of the lawn and leaves it on the lawn. This will do most areas, you will need ramps to get up steps, if not you will have to use garden fork. I use Barmac Links Maintenance slow release NPK 12:1:12 but Scotts slow release is good. I aerate the lawn and then run my catcher mower over area to pick up the cores. I then spread Gypsum ( for calcium ) and slow release fertilser, I then top soil and rub it in and then I water the whole lot in. Usually I only topsoil where there are low spots. If clients wants whole lawn done then I lightly dust the whole lawn and put a bit more where the low spots are.Do not put any more than 12mm of topsoil over the grass as the lawn will struggle to get through. Hope this helps

David just wondering if you might be able to start a topic in the member's forum about how you're pricing this service for your clients?

courty
30-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Finally got around to visiting my local Globe Aust shop today. Picked up 20kg Barmac 2Spec-Elevate for $53 +tax. Suppose to be as good as Scotts but $30 cheaper:cool:
Anyone used it before?

DavidS
30-08-2011, 08:51 PM
No I haven't but having used Barmac chemicals and fertilisers for years I would expect it to be good, having checked the spec sheet I would say that it is a great investment.

imoww
30-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Is now a good time for Scottys lawn builder on lawns??? Or should i wait until later in Sept????

PaulG
31-08-2011, 12:11 AM
You'd know your local conditions better than anyone imoww but considering the averages for your area maybe mid-September onward as the temps start to warm a little.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_068044.shtml

Seems like you have similar climate to here actually with almost identical altitude etc.

DavidS
31-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Imoww I would wait until mid September before fertilising your lawns. Being on Southern Highlands you could still have a few more frosts.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2011, 07:05 PM
There is a product called "Searles Buffalo Master" at bunnings....but I use Bindie on buffalo lawns

Brad

A mate of mine used buffolo master on his lawn and basically killed it because he had the dosage too strong. I would be very careful with that stuff. As you should with any fertilizer or herbiside.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-08-2011, 07:08 PM
David or anyone else for that matter. Have you used scotts lawnbuilder with weed killer in it and any thoughts on the stuff.
I keep looking at it and havent bought it yet.

PaulG
31-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Was talking with a fellow Gardener here today and he has put me onto a relatively new company called Earthlife who produce a range of products including one called Lawn Blend.

Not sure if there's comparison pics on the website as in the info pack I have but there's a comparison of a lawn done in Autumn with Scotts and a neighbouring lawn done with Earthlife Lawn Builder and the results through Winter couldn't be more stark. I think I'll be giving it a go as I can get it at a pretty damn good price.

www.earthlife.com.au

ian
31-08-2011, 08:40 PM
David or anyone else for that matter. Have you used scotts lawnbuilder with weed killer in it and any thoughts on the stuff.
I keep looking at it and havent bought it yet.

i would be careful using this as they say not to use on Buffalo so most likely not suitable for Kikuyu either

Bluey
31-08-2011, 08:46 PM
i would be careful using this as they say not to use on Buffalo so most likely not suitable for Kikuyu either

It is fine on kik...I have used it on a couple of kik lawns including my own. it seems to work well enough.

Fred's mowing
31-08-2011, 08:49 PM
It is fine on kik...I have used it on a couple of kik lawns including my own. it seems to work well enough.
x2
Cheers Fred,

Redlandsguy
31-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Mate I am just a cynic, but I always doubt these greenie type names. Looking at the makeup of the stuff it seems a bit light in the NPK %'s to me.

I bought some Incitec fertilizer the other day, 40kg bag for under $40 and I think the application rates were a lot lighter then this stuff as well. I really can't see much being cheaper than that and although they are a big industrial company, their products are extensively used in agriculture so it can't be that bad.

PaulG
31-08-2011, 09:23 PM
The guy that started Earthlife is an ex or retired farmer from what I was told. This stuffs not so much a fertiliser as it is soil tonic. Beneficial microbes, silica, soil conditioner something that's supposed to unlock existing minerals and nutrients in the soil for better uptake, increased worm activity, similar abilities to gypsum, dolomite etc, improves soil structure and friabilty

Don't know a lot about it yet - still reading but I saw a few first hand results this afternoon and it does seem good.

A lot of large institutions, clubs here are using it as well as Regional Councils in a number of cities.

PaulG
31-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Mate I am just a cynic, but I always doubt these greenie type names.

Haha! I'd better not tell you the latest couple of names I've come up with for my business then!

ian
31-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Beneficial microbes, silica, soil conditioner something that's supposed to unlock existing minerals and nutrients in the soil for better uptake, increased worm activity, similar abilities to gypsum, dolomite etc, improves soil structure and friabilty
sounds like humus(compost),see last entry,cow sh!t,seaweed and magnesium silicate :cool:

PaulG
31-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah I don't know what is going into it but it's not granular. It's almost like a crushed or pulverised rock/dirt powder.

This is the relevant page about the Lawn Blend.

http://www.earthlife.com.au/Products/LawnBlend.aspx

DavidS
01-09-2011, 06:05 AM
You could use Blood and Bone and Seasol apply to your lawns or use the earthlife lawn blend. Only thing is that you get a smell with Blood & Bone, where you may not with the lawnblend.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=PaulG;77709]The guy that started Earthlife is an ex or retired farmer from what I was told. This stuffs not so much a fertiliser as it is soil tonic. Beneficial microbes, silica, soil conditioner something that's supposed to unlock existing minerals and nutrients in the soil for better uptake, increased worm activity, similar abilities to gypsum, dolomite etc, improves soil structure and friabilty

Don't know a lot about it yet - still reading but I saw a few first hand results this afternoon and it does seem good.

You will have to keep us all updated Paul on your thoughts with this stuff especially if you try it out.

QUOTE]

HPM
11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Has anyone used aftergrazehttp://data.rmt.com.au/msds/3083622.pdf fert or aftermow fert http://www.growforce.com.au/Agricultural/Granular/Newcastle/GFFertiliserComparisonListNewcastle.pdf
They use it down at the golf course and have had good results.. i think ill try it..

Dogz
11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
How often do you fertilise? Is it slow or quick release? Just watch your P levels if it's applied regularly, as you'll be promoting seed head production and weed germination.

HPM
11-09-2011, 09:49 PM
I usually fertilize customers lawns 2wice a year spring and end of summer/autmumish..
looking for a slow release at a good price/performance..
its just to get a few extra mows in during the year and the customers lawn is healthier/stronger and looks all the better for it.

i love offering addons..the customers that care about there lawns are the ones that take them on and they are the ones that get priority around xmas etc..

DavidS
13-09-2011, 05:28 AM
HPM I would be looking for a fertiliser that has a NPK 12:3:10, this way you will get greening of leaf without huge growth but it will also help strenghten the roots and stems. Slow release would be best, this will give you a few more mows without having to mow every 5 days. I use Barmac slow release from Globe. Good price and product.

Bluey
13-09-2011, 04:32 PM
What is the price on this David. And what is the exact product name as the blokes from Globe over here at the store won't give you to much help. They play the dumb storeman and you have to track down one of the sales guys to get advice

Dogz
13-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Personal preference and experience I guess David, but if it were me (without knowing soil type or site history) I'd be looking for an N:P ratio more around 10% given that P doesn't leach easily.
Bluey, just tell them the ratio/release your after, if they can't help you from there then spend your money with someone who cares and can offer some input.

Back to Basics
13-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Can you buy Scott's products in bulk? If so where and how much of a saving can you get. Has anyone approached them direct?

courty
13-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Can you buy Scott's products in bulk? If so where and how much of a saving can you get. Has anyone approached them direct?

Dennis
The best I could do on Scotts was $77 per 20kg from Plantmark here on the coast. Have just started using Barmac 2-Spec Elevate at $58 per 20kg from Globe.
http://www.2spec.com.au/2SPECBrochure.pdf

DavidS
14-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I use Barmac Links Maintenance which is NPK 12:1:12 slow release, does not kick the grass into huge growth spurts that others will, but greens it up and makes the turf healthier and stronger. Usually dose every 8 weeks, applied at 2kg per 100m2, if you dose it at 4kg per 100m2 then every 12 weeks will be fine, must follow up with water application.

imoww
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I had a client last week asking if i can fertiilse her lawn. I put Scotts lawn builer on her Sir walter buffalo lawn. the next day her husband fertilised the lawn with Seasol.
Im pretty sure the lawn should be Ok. Any ideas on this?

Bluey
01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
If it dies blame him.

ian
01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
no problem at all seasol is a tonic not an actual fertilizer it helps the grass access the nutrients in the soil

keljad
06-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I had a client last week asking if i can fertiilse her lawn. I put Scotts lawn builer on her Sir walter buffalo lawn. the next day her husband fertilised the lawn with Seasol.
Im pretty sure the lawn should be Ok. Any ideas on this?

I usually do my own lawn with Dynamic Lifetr, and then water it in with either seasol or Chalrie carp. As mentioned by others, it is more a tonic than fertiliser and promotes healthy root growth and disease resiliance etc. I think of it like this - a fertilizer is like a good food, and seasol is like taking a multivitamin. :)

imoww
17-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Has anyone used Sir Walter Fertiliser?
Nigel reckons it's the best thing for Sir Walter....

Back to Basics
17-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Is it wise to do a fert now before winter cracks on in force? I was thinking giving the grass some food now before it's sleep then when it wakes boom! A slow release Scott's product maybe? Ideas?

PaulG
18-05-2012, 02:01 AM
I put some fert on my own lawn here recently (Toowoomba), probably when our min and max temps were just a bit above what yours are in Brissy at the moment but the difference was we still were getting some rain. Still looking very nice, green and lush at the moment despite already getting a few early frosts here.

I used a mineral based fert not to high in Nitrogen as it's a waste using a high Nitrogen mix at present as the grass growth naturally slows down. That's just my opinion - others may have a different take on it.

The only problem with my fert is it's hard to spread being more of a powder than granual like Scotts and others. NPK in mine (Earthlife Lawn Blend) is 4:3:2.5

Scotts Lawn Blend Autumn & Winter would probably work too as it's slow release and won't release a huge amount of nitrogen in one hit. NPK levels are higher but being slow release it evens out. The Scotts has a decent amount of iron too which will help keep things green.

PaulG
18-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Double post....

ian
18-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Has anyone used Sir Walter Fertiliser?
Nigel reckons it's the best thing for Sir Walter....
do you mean Nigel Ruck the face of Sir Walter if so i suppose he knows what he's talking about and it's not like he gets paid to promote their products :)

Is it wise to do a fert now before winter cracks on in force? I was thinking giving the grass some food now before it's sleep then when it wakes boom! A slow release Scott's product maybe? Ideas?

why do you want it to grow faster in spring than it already will if you don't fertilize ?

DavidS
20-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Yes you can fertilse now but use a fertiliser that has a very low Nitrogen number, higher K factor and has Iron, this will help strengthen roots and stems and will also help greenup the turf. If you have had a heap of Frosts then I would just use some Iron Sulphate to green up lawns.

BobC
20-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Blood and bone. Improves the soil and stimulates beneficial microbial activity in the soil beneath the roots.

Benny1
21-05-2012, 08:14 PM
ive always just scott based products

but saying that i keep in regular contact with a landscaper who has always sworn by banana special... has any 1 tried it ??

also the best fert/ thing for the lawn is to mulch it each time. i mulch around 50% of my clients.

dave hirst
21-05-2012, 08:26 PM
i am big on bannana special, although it is becoming harder to find

PaulG
21-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Do you get good results from it Dave?

Benny1
21-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I have only know of 1 place in sydney that sells it. The place that sells it reckons it makes the grass grow like crazy and gives it a nice colour...

would be interested to know your views on it Dave ?

PaulG
21-05-2012, 10:38 PM
It shouldn't make the leaf growth go too crazy as the Nitrogen ratio is fairly low due to it actually being a Vegie/Shrub/Fruit Tree fertiliser.

dave hirst
22-05-2012, 07:33 AM
I like the fact that it has the organic (chook poo) element for the soil and longer term nitrogen release (nitrogen cycle) and the chemical component for the quick and balanced hit.
seems good to me

Benny1
22-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I might get a bag in a few months and give it a try on my own place

imoww
25-05-2012, 05:11 PM
One of my clients has sir walter buffalo. Its a little off at the moment.
Does anyone know what would be best to fertilise it?
I was thinking seasol or scotts lawn builder

dave hirst
25-05-2012, 05:51 PM
you are not going to get much if any growth at the present, why is it off. drainage,weeds nutrient disease or bugs.
It is hard to say, maybe an organic fert would improve the soil for next spring

imoww
25-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks Dave. The lawn had been laid around 8 months ago. Its a new client of mine. He doesnt know if it has been fertilised yet.
Its growing, but over the last few weeks, it's becoming dormant. I know Sir Walter goes off in the winter months i.e. brownish colour.
No bugs, the base seams to have great soil and is still growing quiet well.
An organic fert would be good, but which one? Not all fertilisers work on Sir walter.....
Just to add. My farter's lawn is Sir walter and is still dark green and rich .... Bloody thing gets me every time..... He reckons he puts Sealsol on it monthly... All year round.

courty
25-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks Dave. The lawn had been laid around 8 months ago. Its a new client of mine. He doesnt know if it has been fertilised yet.
Its growing, but over the last few weeks, it's becoming dormant. I know Sir Walter goes off in the winter months i.e. brownish colour.
No bugs, the base seams to have great soil and is still growing quiet well.
An organic fert would be good, but which one? Not all fertilisers work on Sir walter.....
Just to add. My farter's lawn is Sir walter and is still dark green and rich .... Bloody thing gets me every time..... He reckons he puts Sealsol on it monthly... All year round.

imoww
It can all depend on location,aspect to the sun etc. I have a couple of Buffalo lawns that are still going strong and others that are already dormant

imoww
25-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Its in the cold area Courty... Located in Mittagong NSW

ian
25-05-2012, 07:35 PM
all my buffalos are going/have gone dormant now, the Kikuyu and couch lawns are also about finished doesn't matter what you do unless you can add more light and heat their finished until spring adding seasol or blood&bone regularly will improve the soil and may help it keep it's colour a bit longer but it will still finish soon

dave hirst
25-05-2012, 09:46 PM
seasol is good for root growth which will help, and increase micro biological activity in the soil.
give it a go for sure.
mittagong is pretty cool by now, i would be surprised to see growth

dave hirst
25-05-2012, 09:48 PM
when sir walter is first planted you get amazing growth out of it, i am amazed it is buffalo sometimes.

imoww
26-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks Dave.
Yep. It's bloody cold in Mittagong. 49784979

ian
26-05-2012, 04:24 PM
i reckon the lawn in the 2nd picture won't last long the water will just run straight off it :o

Back to Basics
26-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Ian, why? Any rain falling on path will fall into turf area. Unless on a steep slope what reason do you say that?

PaulG
26-05-2012, 05:18 PM
I think Ian's referring to the photo being at 90 degrees.

Back to Basics
26-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Ahh yes, typing before you think. Gets you every time!

dave hirst
27-05-2012, 11:17 AM
is that the lawn you say is not well ?, how long has it been planted

imoww
28-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Yep. Its the lawn thats really slowed down.
I think it was laid around about 8-9months ago.

dave hirst
31-05-2012, 06:59 PM
looks like you could still roll it up, have the roots taken.
Did they lay a top soil, if so i would bet it was not a sandy mix, and they have a perched water table (just a guess), or a pH problem

imoww
19-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I contacted scotts (lanw builder) today.
They put me in touch with a company of theirs that sells scotts lawn builder in bulk to
Lawn professionals (us contractors) they have 20kg bags.
Ill find out the price and where to get it and post the details tomorrow for anyone interested.

imoww
19-09-2012, 07:54 PM
The company is called Everris. 1800789338

imoww
19-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi guys. The lawn in those pics are a display home.
It was layed about 9 months ago I think.
Dont know anything about its history....

imoww
20-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Got some details on Scotts lawn builder.
Everris sell the stuff for $60 a 20kg bag to contractors only.
They said to contact them for other states.

courty
20-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Got some details on Scotts lawn builder.
Everris sell the stuff for $60 a 20kg bag to contractors only.
They said to contact them for other states.

I take it thats $60+ ,pretty good price.

Bluey
20-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah sounds good wonder what delivery costs are. Good find Imoww

imoww
20-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, They said delivery cost from Rouse hill to strathfield is $17.80... Thats around one hrs drive.
Also, I just found Yates Lawn master..... It has the same ingrediences as Scotts lawn builder. and doesnt have to be watered in... 2.5kl for $12.00...

imoww
20-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Give them a call...
\http://www.everris.com/Home/Ornamental-Horticulture/Specialists/Australia.aspx

DavidS
21-09-2012, 05:28 PM
This is what I use, it's 20kg and costs me $35.00 per bag. http://www.katekfertilizers.com.au/Super-Grass-2.html

imoww
21-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Damn thats really cheap.
Thanks buddy

imoww
21-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Hey Davids. Is it Scotts lawn builder 20kg bags for $35?

imoww
21-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I miss read your post Davids. you use supergrass. Is it any good?
Allot of people are saying Scotts doesnt do much...

DavidS
21-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes it certainly works well, I used to use it on Golf & Bowling greens. I love organic stuff thats why I use Healthy Earth general fertiliser, the Supergrass and I use a product Martins Organic Extra Plus for all Roses. I great results from them all.

imoww
21-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I think ill give it go this season then. Scotts is too expensive.. Does it have to be watered in?

DavidS
22-09-2012, 05:43 AM
I always water it in, but saying that because it's organic it should not burn the lawn if you don't. I will try some next week for you on my own front lawn and let you know. If you ring this bloke he will sell it to you cheaper than if you buy it from one of the distributors. He is at Seven Hills or around that area, but he travels up and down the coast of NSW and usually delivers. I just get him to leave it at a mates place on the south coast and I pick it up when I go to see my mum. You need to buy at least 2 bags at a time.
Turfwise, Stephen 0409038205 tell him David Single dobbed him in.

imoww
22-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks Davids.
Ill do that next wdek.

imoww
24-09-2012, 06:55 AM
HAs anyone used yates weed n feed granules?
Its cheap

imoww
24-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I may even get Scotts turf builder fertiliser. ANy one use it? It has great reviews

imoww
27-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Whats the best fertiliser for a 1 acre lawn?
Scotts is too expensive...

Redeye
28-09-2012, 03:20 PM
mate, it doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as the N-P-K ratio is suitable for turf, just go with the cheapest

total turf management
30-09-2012, 10:30 AM
do not use weed and feed.the manufactures should be in jail for selling it.as far as i was taught at tech fertiliser needs to be watered in herbicide needs to be left on the plant leaf.i have just looked at a lawn that the customer sprayed with weed and feed and the lawn is 95% dead .you can even see where he sprayed.

total turf management
30-09-2012, 10:34 AM
a cheap fertiliser for large areas would be Pasture Booster it is an agriculture fertilser but good quick results but must water in .available at co ops otherwise use a good slow release fertiliser ie links high N polycoated bit dearer but 3-4 mths results

ian
30-09-2012, 10:55 AM
do not use weed and feed.the manufactures should be in jail for selling it.as far as i was taught at tech fertiliser needs to be watered in herbicide needs to be left on the plant leaf.i have just looked at a lawn that the customer sprayed with weed and feed and the lawn is 95% dead .you can even see where he sprayed.
Sounds to me more like a case of a home owner not reading the instructions and using a spray that's inappropriate for the type of grass which i believe is a common problem
most herbicides are mixed with water to make a spray for application and most of the liquid fertilisers i have seen don't say to water in with clean water after applying
also by applying a fertiliser at the time of applying a herbicide can in some circumstances increase the uptake rate of the herbicide

MikeD
02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I personally love Scotts lawn builder. You get what you pay for with fertilisers. I normally like to do both organic and mineral fertilising. I have actually found that scotts last longer then other cheaper brands that need more frequent fertilising. I still use other brands too. Im not a scotts ambassador or anything.

imoww
03-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Yep... Sounds like it s back to the Scotts lawn builder then. Recently, ive been getting excellent results within a week.

imoww
03-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Hey Davids... did you get a pic of the fertilised area at your place yet? Id like to see how the super grass went?

ian
03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Yep... Sounds like it s back to the Scotts lawn builder then. Recently, ive been getting excellent results within a week.
I've been getting excellent results within a week also I'm using that growth miracle called spring :laughing:

Bgs
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I've been getting excellent results within a week also I'm using that growth miracle called spring :laughing:

Hmm that's interesting, spring has turned all my lawns brown :help

imoww
04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The only lawns that are getting any growth are the ones where Ive used the hose and soaked the lawn... Then asked the client to do the same the day after..... We are in some kind of drought at the moment

PaulG
04-10-2012, 06:49 PM
El Nino is back until a possible late Summer return of La Nina.

DavidS
05-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Immow,

My lawn has greened up a bit but not as much as I would expect. There is rain predicted for tomorrow so we will see what it is like after some rain on it. It has not burnt the lawn tho which is good.

imoww
05-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for telling me that Davids.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Immow,

My lawn has greened up a bit but not as much as I would expect. There is rain predicted for tomorrow so we will see what it is like after some rain on it. It has not burnt the lawn tho which is good.

m287j
09-10-2012, 08:03 PM
This spring i have changed my lawn fertiliser to a Barmac product called 2 spec accelerate 34 1 6. Brilliant, it's poly coated so it won't burn and doesn't need watering in. Of course it needs water to work though.
Put it down at one client's property last week and there are surprisingly great results already.

DavidS
11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Immow, picture is coming tonight, I took pic this morning but the boss then took camera so she could take pics of Grandchildren, will have back this evening. Lawn has had 4mm of rain on it and has thickend up and turned really green.

DavidS
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Matt you will be mowing every week with Nitrogen at 34

DavidS
11-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Can't add pics as my "FRED" will not play the game. I have loaded them on to IMLOCA web site but cant drag to post so I think I will use putta for target practise.

imoww
11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
So where do ya get the 2 spec accelerate? And how much is it? Good for buffalo?

m287j
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes it should work well with nitrogen at 34. I applied some of it today to a few lawns while it sprinkled. I took some before shots and in a few weeks i'll take some after shots and post them up.

Yep the fertiliser is good for buffalo, all lawn types actually. One bag is 20kg and covers 1,000 sqm. Costs around $60 a bag, i get it for $48. I get it from my local supplier at Castle Hill, Hills Lawn and Garden Equipment. You should be able to get it from your local produce store, otherwise from Globe or Elders.

DavidS
12-10-2012, 04:39 AM
55695570Ok, Bloody putta, finally got these pics up. I scalped the lawn and added the fertliser dry, 2 weeks later we had 4mm of rain, I took the after photo a week after the rain

imoww
12-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Wow... WHat a difference.
Thats one great selling point for the supergrass fert Davids...
Thanks for going through all the hassle of putting the pics up...

55695570Ok, Bloody putta, finally got these pics up. I scalped the lawn and added the fertliser dry, 2 weeks later we had 4mm of rain, I took the after photo a week after the rain

AJD Mowing
12-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I turned up to one of my new customers house last week for the second time and instantly noticed 2 things. 1 The lawn was bright green not brown and dry like the first visit. 2 All the weeds were gone.. I asked the lady what she had done and she said she had started using Hydrogreen http://www.coochie.com.au/index.php They also get rid of insects and because it is liquid can be done when its hot and dry. I am going to see if I can strike a deal with the local operator to use him instead of going out in the rain fertilizing. His results were way better than what I have ever achieved and just after 1 visit. Quite impresive..

imoww
15-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Hey AJD. Let me know how ya go with the Hrydrogreen stuff.
Sounds impressive...

I turned up to one of my new customers house last week for the second time and instantly noticed 2 things. 1 The lawn was bright green not brown and dry like the first visit. 2 All the weeds were gone.. I asked the lady what she had done and she said she had started using Hydrogreen http://www.coochie.com.au/index.php They also get rid of insects and because it is liquid can be done when its hot and dry. I am going to see if I can strike a deal with the local operator to use him instead of going out in the rain fertilizing. His results were way better than what I have ever achieved and just after 1 visit. Quite impresive..

imoww
15-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Mate. Just reminded me. One of my clients has the same treatment once a month. The company is called emerald or something like that.
These companies are starting to pop up allot lately too.
Id love to know what their formular is in the spray...

Its got weed killer and fertiliser in it. (God knows how tho)

PaulG
15-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I've recently enquired with Coochie about a franchise. Will let members know how I go in the private forum or probably via PM if anyone's interested.

imoww
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Im not sure what this is, but 2 weeks ago, i fertilised this whole area with Scotts lawn builder.It worked well.
But this dead area has got me puzzled. Anyone got any ideas?

PaulG
08-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I have one lawn like that. Most likely there's a tank under that inspection cover and there'll only be a few inches of soil under the turf. When there's plenty of rain - no problem, but when the weather gets dry that's what will happen.

imoww
09-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I have one lawn like that. Most likely there's a tank under that inspection cover and there'll only be a few inches of soil under the turf. When there's plenty of rain - no problem, but when the weather gets dry that's what will happen.

Thanks mate.
The tank is stormwater. The turf was layed in a bodgy way.
Allot of uneven areas & hard soil.
Not much soil there.
Ill have to dress it with topsoil & more fertiliser....

ian
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
don't worry about more fertilizer try using a soil wetting agent as if the soil isn't deep it may have dried out and become hydrophobic in that area also top dressing to increase the soil depth

imoww
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ian. The client wants the grass to be raised to the height of the white boundry too.... Bugger that. Id have to re lay the turf...

ian
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Ian. The client wants the grass to be raised to the height of the white boundry too.... Bugger that. Id have to re lay the turf...
and the storm water pit cover would then be lower than the grass

imoww
10-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Yeap. So go figure?????

m287j
25-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes it should work well with nitrogen at 34. I applied some of it today to a few lawns while it sprinkled. I took some before shots and in a few weeks i'll take some after shots and post them up.

Yep the fertiliser is good for buffalo, all lawn types actually. One bag is 20kg and covers 1,000 sqm. Costs around $60 a bag, i get it for $48. I get it from my local supplier at Castle Hill, Hills Lawn and Garden Equipment. You should be able to get it from your local produce store, otherwise from Globe or Elders.

Here are the before and after shots, 3 weeks later and stuff all rain. Huge difference.

imoww
07-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Het Tenderlovn, i just put a mixture of rooster booster & blood n bone down on my lawn.
the sprinkler is running.
see how it goes...

Ive used seasol on gardens seem to be alright but i would just stick to scotts on grass if you want to spend time watering in mixture of blood and bone and rooster booster makes them go nuts.

imoww
07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
i actually did it yeaterday. im on holidays at the moment.

imoww
15-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Is Shelley’s No 17 any good for couch?

AJD Mowing
15-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Tomorrow could be a good fert day :Rain:

imoww
15-09-2013, 06:26 PM
SOunds good for tomorrow Dean....

NLALM
15-09-2013, 06:51 PM
look up scotts snap pack I hope they bring this to Australia great idea for contractors

imoww
15-09-2013, 08:04 PM
HAs anyone used SULPHATE OF AMMONIA?????

HPM
15-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Is Shelley’s No 17 any good for couch?

Be careful with it. If you apply too much or it's not watered in really well it burns the grass.
There are better fertilisers available which are more user friendly.

clandestinium
15-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Nitrogen in ammonium form is rapidly absorbed into the plant once it has been dissolved in water.
Sulphate of ammonia is highly soluble and is often used in solution for foliar sprays on sports turf as a "Green up".

In Solution or when applied in granular form it is immediately available to the plant and will green up a lawn faster than just about anything.

However as it is in such a soluble form it does not persist in the soil profile and is easily washed through.
Also because it is not a balanced formulation NPK is (21-0-0) and because the roots are not fed along with the foliage, often they are unable to support the growth spurt and the lawn can decline and weaken within weeks of application.
PH can also be an issue with salt build up in the profile over time increasing soil alkalinity

Pay for a quality slow release product that has a value for $ NPK scale buy it in bulk and you will get better results and happier customers.

Mitchell

P>S as he said needs water.

Matt1972
15-09-2013, 09:04 PM
HAs anyone used SULPHATE OF AMMONIA?????

Extremely high in nitrogen and not much else. Sends the grass nuts but doesn't do much for the overall health of the grass or soil. Far better to use a balanced slow release fertilizer ( the Yates site lists sulphate of ammonia NPK ratio as 20.5:0:0 ). I use a lawn fertilizer from Healthy Earth. Will post later the NPK ratio, can't be bothered getting off the couch. I use it on my lawn and does a good job without making it grow too fast.

Matt1972
15-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Nitrogen in ammonium form is rapidly absorbed into the plant once it has been dissolved in water.
Sulphate of ammonia is highly soluble and is often used in solution for foliar sprays on sports turf as a "Green up".

In Solution or when applied in granular form it is immediately available to the plant and will green up a lawn faster than just about anything.

However as it is in such a soluble form it does not persist in the soil profile and is easily washed through.
Also because it is not a balanced formulation NPK is (21-0-0) and because the roots are not fed along with the foliage, often they are unable to support the growth spurt and the lawn can decline and weaken within weeks of application.
PH can also be an issue with salt build up in the profile over time increasing soil alkalinity

Pay for a quality slow release product that has a value for $ NPK scale buy it in bulk and you will get better results and happier customers.

Mitchell

P>S as he said needs water.
Explained much better than I did.

imoww
15-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for that huys.
Whats with the Scotts turf builder 32/2/8??? Cant get it in Australia?

Matt1972
17-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Healthy Earth fertilizer has an NPK ratio of 13:3:14. They distribute through CRT and various garden centres. I buy it in bulk direct from their warehouse.

imoww
26-10-2013, 05:40 AM
I used the Pivot...
2 weeks later...

imoww
07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
2Spec 2SPEC ACCELERATE
34:1:6

DavidS
07-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Why do you want a fert so high in Nitrogen. The Healthy Earth is a better all round fertiliser for your clients turf and you don't have to mow every week. If you use the 34:1:6 you are promoting lots of leaf growth, but no real Stem of Root growth so your grass is going to keep needing lots of fertiliser and water. That fertiliser I would use at the beginning of the season and revert back to a 13:3:10 for the rest of the mowing season and leading into Autumn.

imoww
14-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Its a great for lawns under stress. For the rest of the year, i use slow release with lower nitro.

imoww
14-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Teh only issue at the moment is 3-5 weeks after fertilising with 2 Spec, Im mowing these lawns weekly.

DavidS
15-12-2013, 05:58 AM
No it's not, you are actually putting the lawn under more stress by trying to get the lawn to grow more leaf. If the lawn is under stress the first thing you do is pour a heap of water on it a couple of times and then fertiliser with a balanced fertiliser and then once the lawn has come good if you want to green it up more or get more leaf growth then use the 34:1:6. I only use this sort of fertiliser at the beginning and end of a growing season, just to kick the grass into gear for Spring and to try and premote grass for Autumn and Winter

imoww
15-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks Davids. I didnt mention that these lawns were not under stress, they were already growing but slow.
Most of these clients water their lawns with irrigation.

imoww
12-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Is anyone fertilising yet?

Redeye
12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
bit early I think, 'specially up in the hills

imoww
13-08-2014, 06:38 AM
I thought so too.
Im thinking at the end of the month or a hand full at the moment... SOme of these places really need some niro....

DavidS
13-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I would not bother until at least the last week in September, just wasting the fertiliser as nothing will grow until the ground temp warms up. It might green some weeds up tho.

imoww
13-08-2014, 10:08 PM
It so warm today, I got sunburnt

I would not bother until at least the last week in September, just wasting the fertiliser as
will grow until the ground temp warms up. It might green some weeds up tho.

DavidS
14-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Yes but if you read my post you have to wait for the ground temp to warm up. If you pushed a thermometer into the ground at 2pm I bet it's not over 10 degree. Yes warm days will help get the soil temp up but we need longer warm days to really bring the soil temperature up. Once this is happening then it's time to fertilise. Most Bowling and Golf Greenkeepers won't fertilise until near the end of September.

Redeye
14-08-2014, 09:30 PM
soil temp won't rise while the nights are still bloody cold

DavidS
16-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Yes as Red has said we need warmer nights to to get the soil temp up.

South East Mowing
12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Can anyone tell me an economical fertilser they have had good results with for large lawn areas. I have probably 5 acres in large and small patches that will need fertilising.

Also has anyone used Dicot III and if so was it used on Kikuyu and with what results?

imoww
13-10-2014, 08:56 AM
I've used 2Spec excelerate.
It's from barmac.
Don't have to water it in and gives great results.
I get 25kg bags for $50.
It covers a large area too. Double the area amount as Scott's lawn
Builder.

Macka
13-10-2014, 09:29 AM
YaraMila works for me you don't need to apply alot to see results.

troppo
13-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I always use Katek Supergrass. 20kg bag will cover 350 square metres and costs $35.00 with no need to water in. Will have to do your maths and see how it compares to others. Keep in mind that you will have to re-apply every 3 months until you get the lawn back up to a healthy level. Also, because it is organic, it does have a bit of a smell to it until it is watered in/rains. I presume on an area like that you are mulching. Going by the Katek website there are only 2 distributors down there - Shepparton and Traralgon. I have enquired about buying by the pallet to get it much cheaper, but storage would be a problem. On a side note my wife picked up 8x4 kg bags of Scotts autumn/winter slow release lawn builder for only $1 per bag from bunnings the other day. Old packaging apparently.

DavidS
21-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Yep agree with Troppo Katek Supergrass is the way to go. Immow if you ring Stephen Kincaid of Turfwise P/L he will deliver as he used to for me on the South Coast, he also does the Southern Highlands.

steveo
20-03-2015, 10:53 AM
anyone use blood and bone on lawns? The yates professional mix blood and bone doesn't have instructions for lawns but my Peter cuncdell gardening book does. I use it on my lawn. Why don't they mention lawns on the packet then?

steveo
20-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Woops meant to say Peter Cundall. I gotta be more careful with my smelling (spelling).

steveo
20-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Is autumn a good time for fertilising lawns and garden beds? I find spring gets to busy to offer it because of lawn mowing whereas autumn it's slowing down already so I'm going to offer fert and mulching. Is the fertiliser wasted on plants about to go dormant. e.g. roses. I suspect the plants will still benefit when they fire up in spring but interested in what others do. Don't want to waste fertiliser.

imoww
20-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Guys the best lawn fertiliser ive used so far is 2spec form barmac.
Within 2 weeks the lawn is dark green and grows.
I fertilised my clients lawns 4 months ago and they are still growing.
Barmac have another fertiliser for the winter period too. Have just ordered it and ill see what happens.
Its $550 per 20 kl bag

GardeningSolutions
20-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Barmac have another fertiliser for the winter period too. Have just ordered it and ill see what happens.
Its $550 per 20 kl bag

Bit pricey. $27.50kg?

brodie
20-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Is autumn a good time for fertilising lawns and garden beds? I find spring gets to busy to offer it because of lawn mowing whereas autumn it's slowing down already so I'm going to offer fert and mulching. Is the fertiliser wasted on plants about to go dormant. e.g. roses. I suspect the plants will still benefit when they fire up in spring but interested in what others do. Don't want to waste fertiliser.

Wait till a few weeks before spring. Even if you put down slow release you run the risk of getting rainy few days and then a couple of sunny days. That will activate the fertiliser at the wrong time. Better off to put down your slow release around spring and and top it up as nessecary.

Matt I'd be interested to know what this winter fret is like and what it has in it?

imoww
21-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Woops... Typo... Its $55 per 20 kl

Its $550 per 20 kl bag

imoww
21-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Ill let you know Brodie.
heres the brochure8176

Wait till a few weeks before spring. Even if you put down slow release you run the risk of getting rainy few days and then a couple of sunny days. That will activate the fertiliser at the wrong time. Better off to put down your slow release around spring and and top it up as nessecary.

Matt I'd be interested to know what this winter fret is like and what it has in it?

DavidS
23-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I dont know why you would bother with fertiliser at this time of year, yes maybe some potassium, but nothing as high as that with nitrogen. May as well piss your $55.00 up at the pub would be better. Potassium is for strength in the roots and stems, nitrogen is for leaf growth. Fertilising might extend your mowing for a bit longer but at what cost as most clients would not pay the extra to have their lawns fertilised at this time of year. If you used the high potassium fertiliser and explained why you want to do it, they may go for it.
As a greenkeeper we used to use slow release and the last dose was usually end of February early March. Fertiliser NPK was 10:5:23. Then nothing until we where getting ready to bring the greens out of winter. We would then give a high nitrogen fert of say 32 in late August or early September just to get the grass growing, dependant on frost zones, high frost zone we would leave it until late September or early October. We would then do a renovation in early October and we would feed the greens high nitrogen and potassium with lots of other minerals. Topsoil and water then every 8 to 12 weeks we would fertilise again right through to the end of Summer.

steveo
23-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Davids, what about garden beds prior to mulching in the cooler months, would there be any benefit throwing a bit of blood and bone down around plants prior to mulching or not worth it?

imoww
23-03-2015, 08:20 PM
I fertilise Commercial clients lawns demanding green and growth all year....and they have sprinkler system running all the bloody time too.
Just in case theres other lawnies having the same type of clients.... This is good stuff.

I dont know why you would bother with fertiliser at this time of year, yes maybe some potassium, but nothing as high as that with nitrogen. May as well piss your $55.00 up at the pub would be better. Potassium is for strength in the roots and stems, nitrogen is for leaf growth. Fertilising might extend your mowing for a bit longer but at what cost as most clients would not pay the extra to have their lawns fertilised at this time of year. If you used the high potassium fertiliser and explained why you want to do it, they may go for it.
As a greenkeeper we used to use slow release and the last dose was usually end of February early March. Fertiliser NPK was 10:5:23. Then nothing until we where getting ready to bring the greens out of winter. We would then give a high nitrogen fert of say 32 in late August or early September just to get the grass growing, dependant on frost zones, high frost zone we would leave it until late September or early October. We would then do a renovation in early October and we would feed the greens high nitrogen and potassium with lots of other minerals. Topsoil and water then every 8 to 12 weeks we would fertilise again right through to the end of Summer.

DavidS
24-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Davids, what about garden beds prior to mulching in the cooler months, would there be any benefit throwing a bit of blood and bone down around plants prior to mulching or not worth it?

For gardens yes it would not be a waste. If you have box hedges give them a dose of gypsum in early June and then in mid to late October will help them.

DavidS
24-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Yes I can understand the requirements by your clients but why use fertiliser so high in nitrogen. Nitrogen is made up of salts. You are going to end up with a salt problem in your lawns, even if they have irrigation going, they need to be based on a sand base so the salts from the fertiliser can be flushed through the soil profile. It may not happen over night but it will happen and then you will have a major problem as nothing will fix it bar flushing the soil profile, which will move the salts to another place for others to worry about. Places around Berry and Bomaderry now have that same problem and are now only just getting things back to where they can grow grass again. All the land had white crust on top of the soil, this was the salt layer had risen up through the soil from over use of fertiliser and lots of salty irrigation water.
I know it stinks but I would feed their lawns with dynamic lifter in autumn and winter and then use the higher nitrogen fertilisers in Spring and Summer, this way you can have natural organics helping keep the soil healthy. I do believe there is now a low smell dynamic lifter available.

urbanpatch
24-03-2015, 07:10 PM
This is what we are using at the moment to fertilize the lawns with chicken manure.

imoww
25-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I only use the strong fertiliser in the summer months. Once only per year. I use dynamic lifter at the end of winter too. I use the non smelling one...
Yes I can understand the requirements by your clients but why use fertiliser so high in nitrogen. Nitrogen is made up of salts. You are going to end up with a salt problem in your lawns, even if they have irrigation going, they need to be based on a sand base so the salts from the fertiliser can be flushed through the soil profile. It may not happen over night but it will happen and then you will have a major problem as nothing will fix it bar flushing the soil profile, which will move the salts to another place for others to worry about. Places around Berry and Bomaderry now have that same problem and are now only just getting things back to where they can grow grass again. All the land had white crust on top of the soil, this was the salt layer had risen up through the soil from over use of fertiliser and lots of salty irrigation water.
I know it stinks but I would feed their lawns with dynamic lifter in autumn and winter and then use the higher nitrogen fertilisers in Spring and Summer, this way you can have natural organics helping keep the soil healthy. I do believe there is now a low smell dynamic lifter available.

imoww
25-03-2015, 05:44 PM
I tried chicken manure and it didnt work at all....
Must be the climate
This is what we are using at the moment to fertilize the lawns with chicken manure.

mtasker01
29-06-2015, 01:32 PM
What's everyone using for flat weeds in the lawns ( kik & some buffalo)these days... A couple lawnies said weed and feed but all the reading I been doing indicates use a weed killer and a fertiliser Seperatly.....

BSD
29-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Any clover/bindi/broadleaf product for me, its selective but be aware some aint friendly on buffalo lawns or parts thereof, read the label.

djkgrounds
29-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Weed and feed is poor mans Dicamba in my opinion, If your going to do the job properly I would recommend as you said do them separately.

troppo
29-06-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm 100% with djkgrounds. If you are serious about proper lawncare, get a backpack sprayer with a 3 nozzle boom and a commercial broadleaf weedkiller. I bit the bullet and bought a 20 litre drum of KambaM, can use it on all lawn types up here, even the local buffalo (haven't tested it on Sir Walter). Just make sure you are using the right chem for the lawn types in your area or you will be in more strife than Flash Gordon.

GardeningSolutions
30-06-2015, 01:39 PM
For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional. BIN DIE for buffalo, KAMBA M for Kikuyu, Couch & Fescue.

djkgrounds
30-06-2015, 05:36 PM
For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional.

See it here all the time. They charge full price for the job that is half done as well.

Macka
30-06-2015, 06:02 PM
For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional. BIN DIE for buffalo, KAMBA M for Kikuyu, Couch & Fescue.

the principal or using the hose on sprays is safer, no misting, has anyone tried mixing there own and spraying. and is there commercial hose sprayers ?

troppo
30-06-2015, 06:36 PM
the principal or using the hose on sprays is safer, no misting, has anyone tried mixing there own and spraying. and is there commercial hose sprayers ?

Now there's an idea. I have a Gilmour All Purpose Sprayer that I use for applying Seasol/ Liquid fertilisers. Nah, skip that idea, stick with the backpack sprayer. To reduce misting, I use the coarsest spray nozzles I could get = big droplets of product.

imoww
24-03-2016, 12:20 PM
WTF is going on here? The grass was looking worn so I fertilised the lawn by clients request last week.
I used 2spec which is a poly coated product (doesn't burn) like I always do.
And have never had this before...
Any ideas ?876887698770

urbanpatch
24-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Has it been dry?

ASTRO
24-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Imoww I would check for lawn beetle.
As their at adult stage now and feeding on roots.
Cheers astro.

GardeningSolutions
24-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Is it all over the lawn or just there. Kind of looks like it could be a pest like spidermite, lawn beetle or army worm.

NLALM
24-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Not the best pics mate. How did you apply the 2spec? Did you spill any? Did the client water it in, was there a dew on the grass when you applied it ? A better picture might help but there has been a lot of army grub around lately, I just cant tell from those pictures

imoww
24-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys. It was applied evenly with Scotts spreader as per instructions and it was normal warm weather at the time.
They had lots of rain also.
What's the best way to tackle lawn bettle etc

GardeningSolutions
24-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Spray with Chlorpyrifos and water in ,or buy lawn beetle granules and water in. The granules are safer.

NLALM
24-03-2016, 04:39 PM
The easiest way is go to Bunnings and buy a bag of scots lawn builder with grub killer in it. Its in a red bag, spin it on and give it a water. It has Bifentherin in it which will fix the little farkers up if that is the problem

mowbro
24-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Yep. Definitely looks to be lawn grub / beetle. Bunnings is the way to go for smaller areas; Unless you've already got Chlorpyrifos, it's expensive as you've got to buy a fair bit of it at once (and you also need to take full precautions when applying it). Just get the granular beetle killer and water it in. May need a second application a 10 - 14 days after but see how its going.

Another hint, if you want to see if it is lawn grub, go to the affected areas of lawn and pull on it, or slide you fingers under it and try and pull it up. Lawn grub wipe it out in sections, so you should be able to roll in back like carpet in those sections.