PDA

View Full Version : Acanthus Mollis

Andy B
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi All,

Just wanting some opinions:

Is Acanthus Mollis a weed? I've noticed some gardens treat it like a feature and others treat it like an unwanted pest.

Had any success getting rid of it? I've dug one out of a hedge and it's came back, I've poisoned it and it cames back.

administrator
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Source Burkes Back Yard Fact Sheet

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Flowering-Plants-and-Shrubs/Acanthus-mollis/854

A horticultural survivor from Ancient Greek and Roman times, Acanthus mollis is one of the great garden plants. It was so highly regarded in the ancient world that a motif shaped like an acanthus leaf was used to decorate the tops of Corinthian columns.

Plant details
Common name: Oyster Plant

Botanic name: Acanthus mollis

Description: An evergreen, soft wooded perennial which grows in an upright clump to about 1 metre x 1 metre (3'x3'). The dark green, glossy leaves are lobed and toothed. Purple and white flowers appear on tall, erect spikes from November to January.

Best climate: Acanthus will grow in most areas of Australia, except for inland zones.

Best look: foliage plant planted in shady areas or under deciduous trees container or indoor plant cut or dried flower arrangements

Good points: dramatic and long lasting spires of purple and white flowers grows in sun or shade handsome, deeply cut dark green leaves almost indestructible

Downside: The leaves are very attractive to slugs, snails and leaf-eating insects. The explosive pods scatter seed over a wide area and the plant will grow from any piece of root, so acanthus can become a garden pest.

Care: Acanthus can be grown in sun or part shade, and prefers a deep, moist soil. Mulch well, and never allow the plant to dry out. Snail bait is necessary, particularly in wet weather. Remove dead leaves and spent flower stems.

Getting started:
Acanthus mollis is available at nurseries and garden centres. It can also be propagated easily by seed, root cuttings or division of an established clump.

administrator
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
This plant is nearly indestructable it will grow from any bit of root that is in the ground your herbicide doesnt attach itself to well .
the only way to get rid of it dig up the area sift the soil getting rid of every tiny weenie bit of plant .You can get stronger and stronger chemical but it will still come back .

Stripes
01-06-2010, 11:50 AM
They are a good plant. Tough as anything. On hot days you see them collapse and look dead, but as soon as it cools down they spring back up. I haven't noticed them being weedy in Sydney, not sure about other areas. In areas where they have been ripped out to make way for something else they could be a pest but just be persistent and you will eventually get them. Use straight round up painted on the wounds as soon as you cut them to kill them off.

Wattle GC
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Its a funny one..Some people like these as plants for the garden others treat them as a weed..i guess its down to the deffinition of a weed in ones mind...They do attract bees well.

63impala
01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
A weed is something growing wear you dont want it to...

Andy B
01-06-2010, 07:17 PM
:FU

Well put Impala, well put indeed!

And another thing it doesn't mention in the fact sheet is that the flower spike is covered in inch long spikes...which make them a no no in school grounds etc.

:FU

Fred's mowing
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Exactly, a rose in an orchard is a weed!
Cheers Dean.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-06-2010, 10:48 PM
I like weeds. They keep me busy

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I like weeds. They keep me busy

Funny that they keep me busy as well,:david