PDA

View Full Version : Sprays that made dogs sick?

Peter Nolan
03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
The other day a customer said last time he had a guy spray his dog got sick and the vet cost him $1,000. So he asked me if what I'm using is safe. I said it was. I asked the customer if he can remember what the guy was trying to kill, unfortunately he didn't know. Does any one know what posions are bad for pets?

The main type of sprays I've been using Glyphosate, Bindii & Clover spray, Searles Paspalum & Nut grass killer and Lawn grub killer. I've heard some dogs are affected by the Lawn grub killer. The problem is with kerosene being in some. Is this true? Whilst on Lawn grubs after a plague of them lasting from January to May. Can any one advise what works best for them?

Cheers Peter

BLACK BEAR
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I know glypho is not good for them and assume many of the others are not either. Dont forget dogs eat grass-usually the longer buffalo type to make themselves sick. If they eat enough i am sure it will make them sick especially if it is a smaller dog as it will have a higher amount per kg of body weight!

ian
04-06-2010, 12:44 AM
i believe glypho is supposed to be of very low toxicity to mammals including humans and dogs mind you i am not about to drink it either but here is a msds http://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/images/MSDS/Defender%20Glyphosate%20360-%201021_1.pdf

Wattle GC
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
The other day a customer said last time he had a guy spray his dog got sick and the vet cost him $1,000. So he asked me if what I'm using is safe. I said it was. I asked the customer if he can remember what the guy was trying to kill, unfortunately he didn't know. Does any one know what posions are bad for pets?

The main type of sprays I've been using Glyphosate, Bindii & Clover spray, Searles Paspalum & Nut grass killer and Lawn grub killer. I've heard some dogs are affected by the Lawn grub killer. The problem is with kerosene being in some. Is this true? Whilst on Lawn grubs after a plague of them lasting from January to May. Can any one advise what works best for them?

Cheers Peter

At this time of year the grub is at the adult stage so try grubkill 500.Go to www.amgrow.com.au for more info..I found this product effective and safe..However read the instructions carefully..

glassngrass
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I know glypho is not good for them and assume many of the others are not either. Dont forget dogs eat grass-usually the longer buffalo type to make themselves sick. If they eat enough i am sure it will make them sick especially if it is a smaller dog as it will have a higher amount per kg of body weight!

i believe glypho is supposed to be of very low toxicity to mammals including humans and dogs mind you i am not about to drink it either ....

Glypho is not 'good' for any living thing, but is unlikely to be a problem for animals. That said, like people, individual animals may have sensitivities to some chemicals.

A client suggested that after seeing their cat eat the grass I had sprayed with glypho then get sick, that I had poisoned their cat.
Cats and dogs dont eat grass asfood - they eat it as 'medicine' because they WANT to be sick - to cough up a fur ball or whatever...

glassngrass
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM
SpraySeed (paraquat/diquat) is an alternative to RoundUp (Glyphosate)
Chemicals like SpraySeed are dynamite. Many a farmer has been spraying this while their dog was walking behind. I WILL kill them.
In some countries SpraySeed is the chemical of choice for suicide - it works!
As little as an unswallowed sip of this stuff is likely to kill an adult.
With safer alternatives, such as RoundUp, there is no way I'd touch this stuff let alone use it on clients' property.

MSDS for this includes :
Class 6.1 Hazardous substance
POISONOUS, MAY BE FATAL IF INHALED, SWALLOWED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN.
Inhalation, ingestion or contact with substance may cause severe injury or death.
Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be poisonous and/or corrosive and pollute waterways.
Protective Clothing
Wear SCBA and chemical splash suit. Fully-encapsulating, gas-tight suits should be worn for maximum protection. Structural firefighter’s uniform is NOT effective for this material.

DavidS
11-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Here is a Fact Sheet I carry with me and if a client ask the question I give them this to read. I have never had anyone refuse for me to use Glyphosate after reading this sheet. Print it off and put in a folder in your work vehicle.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.pdf

PaulG
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Nice one David!

Fred's mowing
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Nice one David!

x2,
Cheers Fred.

South East Mowing
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Here is a Fact Sheet I carry with me and if a client ask the question I give them this to read. I have never had anyone refuse for me to use Glyphosate after reading this sheet. Print it off and put in a folder in your work vehicle.

This comes directly off their technical fact sheet!!!
GLYPHOSATE
TECHNICAL FACT SHEET
Signs of Toxicity - Animals
Animals exposed to formulated glyphosate herbicides have displayed anorexia, •• lethargy, hypersalivation, vomiting, and
diarrhea. Symptoms persisted for 2 to 24 hours following exposure. The surfactants in formulated products are thought to
be responsible for the clinical signs.22
•• Clinical signs typically appear within 30 minutes to 2 hours following ingestion. Animals may exhibit excitability and tachycardia
at first, followed by ataxia, depression, and bradycardia. Severe cases may progress to collapse and convulsions.15
•• The Veterinary Poisons Information Service in London, England recorded 150 cases over an 8-year period of dogs exposed
to glyphosate primarily from eating grass recently treated with formulated products. Of these, roughly 40% of the dogs
exhibited no clinical signs, 45% exhibited mild to moderate clinical signs, and roughly 15% were classified as serious.15
•• The Centre National d’Informations Toxicologiques Veterinaires of France reported 31 certain cases of intoxication of domestic
animals by glyposate-containing products in a 3-year period. Most exposures resulted from animals ingesting the
product prior to application. Of these cases, 25 were dogs and 4 were cats. Vomiting occurred within 1-2 hours of ingestion
in 61% of the cases. Hypersalivation occurred in 26% of cases, and mild diarrhea was reported in 16% of cases. Centre
records did not report long-lasting effects or any fatalities.23

DavidS
11-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah thats why I only show the Fact Sheet as every Vet I have ever talked to has not had a animal with Glysophate poisoning. I still advise people to keep dogs inside for a hour or two after I have sprayed. I also make certain that I only mix at the correct rate when there are animals at the premises.

South East Mowing
11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah thats why I only show the Fact Sheet as every Vet I have ever talked to has not had a animal with Glysophate poisoning. I still advise people to keep dogs inside for a hour or two after I have sprayed. I also make certain that I only mix at the correct rate when there are animals at the premises.

My response is something like this: If the dog/cat doesnt eat heaps of the grass I spray and probably wont because its the weeds I am spraying (they generally eat the longer type grass) then you are probably going to be OK if you keep the dog/cat inside for the 1st 4-6 hrs or so. If it is a small dog/cat try to watch what it does outside for the first 24 hrs or so after I spray
I will use one of these fact sheets but what I say above is what I do with my dog ( a little less as he is 55kg) and to me is good practice around any of these type of chemicals etc. It would not be the first time a chemical was found to act something very much different to what has been stated. ANIMAL OWNERS are extremely fussy about their pets/family members. I learnt this many years ago while helping my ex wife run a pet shop-the money they spend on them is sometimes ridiculous- but they are part of the family so tread carefully!

RSM-Gazza
11-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Same here, I carry MSDS for all chems used in my chemical register. Also display that I'm Chermcert Registered amongst my sign writting on the trailer (Farm Chemical Users-old name for it).
Carry my Gov qualification/registeration at all times and tell each new client that I'm registered in VIC + NSW.
The clients usually regard that as a big positive re your overal ability towards being a proper operator within this game, especially when they have no idea themselves. Actually scored a nice job last week due to this.
I will not spray if the owner is not prepared to isolate ther pets for i hr in summer or two hrs in cooler temps. Lapdogs I ask to be isolated a little longer too. I also do two large farm ranches and won't spray along extended drive entry fence lines if moo cows are feeding from the adjoining paddack or the kelpies are not chained up.
Finally won't spray when I know delta T temps are too low, ie very late arvo like 4.30pm onwards in winter as its a waste of chemical and the product will sit longer wet on the target and endanger pets more.

If we a talking about a total lawn spray, rules are stricter.
But the above is what I do and not what I recommend.

PaulG
11-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Chermcert Registered

Any Queensland guys know if there is a similar certifictaion available here?

This is something I'd like to have for reasons Garry mentioned.

RSM-Gazza
11-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Any Queensland guys know if there is a similar certifictaion available here?

This is something I'd like to have for reasons Garry mentioned.

Chermcert Registered, I mean't Chemcert registered.

Paul,

I'm actually covered for all states, NSW qualification has several more legal binding things to know and do in the tests. As I operate on the border I needed to do it.

Google; Chemcert or Agvet Chemical Users Course, as when I was researching this in Feb 2010. I found the course was available online and tested on line for QLD folks. Whilst it was also toboggin loads cheaper to do, but if you fail online well, you fail as no answer can be wrong.
Where as at a approved tafe they kind help you/guide you through the test legally. As I saw with a chap in our class that had major trouble with pen and paper. But from a true blue "man on the land" point of view, he was smarter than anyone in room.

PaulG
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
I didn't even notice the spelling Garry!

Thanks for the extra info. Going to do some Googling shortly.

DavidS
12-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Most TAFE colleges run a Chemical Handling certificate. Not Chemcert but is the same. About $350.00 over 2 days if you have never completed, otherwise $175.00 over one day for recertification