PDA

View Full Version : Loose handle knob and bolt.

Andy B
17-06-2010, 03:36 PM
I got sick of the handle knob and bolt coming loose on my 196... I put some thread tape on it yesterday and so far so good but not sure how long it will do the trick for.

Anyone else get sick of it? What did you do?

Stripes
17-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Is that the bolt on the bottom of the handles? I replaced the nut and bolt after a while as it had stripped. I used to fold the handles down to put it in the trailer and if it wasn't loosened enough it would strip the thread.

Bluey
17-06-2010, 04:06 PM
They are crap. Change them to quick release handles. I went down to my local mower bloke and he found some on another old machine that fit. Gave them to me for nothing and never had a problem with them since.

MowerRob
17-06-2010, 05:10 PM
On the 216 I dont ever need to fold my handles so I replaced all the black knobs with nylon lock nuts . They never come loose and the frames are a lot sturdier

Andy B
17-06-2010, 07:13 PM
The ones on the frame have only come loose once, it's the ones where it folds. I don't need to fold it anymore.

Bluey, do you have a quick release on each side or one with a shaft between them??

Bluey
17-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Andy

I have one each side but if you don't need it to fold anymore why not go with Robs idea

holdenhead
17-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Put some lock tight on it. Then if you do need to fold the handles down you can. Then just put more on. Mine lasted the entire life of the mower with one application

Andy B
17-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that, will try them when the tape stops working.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-06-2010, 07:44 PM
can get quick release handles at bunnings

Bgs
18-06-2010, 08:15 PM
don’t ya hate when you go to turn around after mowing a strip and the handle nearly breaks off and while just managing to stay upright you realise that the bloody nut has come undone again, you then re trace your steps only to find a gnarled piece of black plastic that has been run over by the mower.

This happened to me twice now use lock tight :dance:dance

PeteG
14-07-2010, 07:32 PM
don’t ya hate when you go to turn around after mowing a strip and the handle nearly breaks off and while just managing to stay upright you realise that the bloody nut has come undone again, you then re trace your steps only to find a gnarled piece of black plastic that has been run over by the mower.

This happened to me twice now use lock tight :dance:dance

Yeh it happened to me and boy does it bend that handle !!!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I put quick release on my machine best thing i did but occasionaly the tree branches grab it and flip it over on you. Drives you a bit insane cause you think whats happened to this handle.