PDA

View Full Version : Myob business basics

RSM-Gazza
24-06-2010, 12:17 AM
It would seem to me a fair portion here use QuickBooks.
I've purchased MYOB due to my accountant operates with that system.
Is there anyone out there using this, as I in "Shrek 6" land at the moment and I have some serious knuckle down reading to do to bring me up to speed.

Humm :eek:, and I used to manage a $26+M per yr business prior to entering this lifestyle. I thought it would be easier upon my first glance, but not so. As I only loaded it at 2.00am this morning.

glassngrass
26-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I've purchased MYOB due to my accountant operates with that system...I thought it would be easier upon my first glance, but not so.

So, as a business owner who works in, on ,under, over, thru and for your business, you also have time to do your own books.

Well done!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
26-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I've purchased MYOB due to my accountant operates with that system.
Is there anyone out there using this, as I in "Shrek 6" land at the moment and I have some serious knuckle down reading to do to bring me up to speed.

Humm :eek:, and I used to manage a $26+M per yr business prior to entering this lifestyle. I thought it would be easier upon my first glance, but not so. As I only loaded it at 2.00am this morning.

I did use a myob program years ago it was a great program and very simple to use But it is a very pricey program and i need to get something like gopher and then i may get it again. There used to be people doing courses for it everywhere here try ringing the tafe they may have a couple of night courses.

RSM-Gazza
28-06-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a good friend who used to work in the same previous job as me at the same the level who walked from it. He has been in business for 1.5yrs now and after speaking to him minutes ago, I've found out he uses MYOB, although a higher version of software. So a BBQ has been arranged for 2 weeks time to go into detail re it's use along with other general bus advice. Plus some other assistance has been well received.

David,
I would think there would ample time to update records daily or at least every second day casually at home for 0.5 to 0.75 hr re this type of industry. Compare to the hrs worked in other business fields.

Anjaryan
28-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a good friend who used to work in the same previous job as me at the same the level who walked from it. He has been in business for 1.5yrs now and after speaking to him minutes ago, I've found out he uses MYOB, although a higher version of software. So a BBQ has been arranged for 2 weeks time to go into detail re it's use along with other general bus advice. Plus some other assistance has been well received.

David,
I would think there would ample time to update records daily or at least every second day casually at home for 0.5 to 0.75 hr re this type of industry. Compare to the hrs worked in other business fields.

I used Myob years ago when I managed hotels, I have downloaded buisness basics now that Ato are not supporting their program and found it very easy to pick up and run with again.

Once you learn how to set up recurring sales and purchases etc logging in 8 to 10 jobs per day really only takes 10 min each night max!!

There are courses which can be done for Myob which are quite cheap or you can even get an Myob for dummies that will give you the knowledge needed to do your own books.

In my opinion doing your own books and understanding that side of your business is an integral part of the running of your business, you always know what you are earning, what you are paying and what your current cash flow position is etc.

I personally like to know this at the press of a button and not have to wait for someone else to tell me.

RSM-Gazza
28-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks to all, appreciate the feedback,

I will knuckle down over it this week, as really I only downloaded it 4 days ago and have not been home or on the PC over the weekend.
I know I can bring in a MYOB local consultant to set it up 100% and give me a some advice moving forward. My above mentioned friend did that. But with info I have at hand I'll give it my best shot prior to calling anyone in.
In my last job, nothing was MYOB, just all dedicated programs designed by the business for the business and for no other business. Also it was a high tec Microsoft based and always a program that was evolving further by the day as the bus saw fit.
Guess I was very automated were I come from and now I have a clutch to deal with.
Glads its winter whilst I'm setting up everything.