PDA

View Full Version : Toro mod

Redeye
24-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Was talking to a local mowey with a Toro self-prop'ed mower, asked how it handles wet grass catching. As bad as hondas' apparently, he fixed it by modifying the blade assembly so it now has two bar-blades instead of one, look to be about 10mm apart, in line above each other.He says it has made a dramatic improvement to cutting, mulching and catching, it has lowered the cutting height too which as you may know is usually too high on yankee machines. If anyone is interested I'll get a photo.

jas
24-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Hey Redeye.

When I use to use the Toro, what we did was use a Rover Disc and used 4 Rover swing blades.

We welded a small disc, about 20mm thick to the center of the disc, drilled out the 2 bolt holes and bolted it straight up, that held the disc in place.

With the 4 blades it did cut a hell of alot better in the wet, but still not the best.

Cheers
jas

SouthCoast Walker
25-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Was talking to a local mowey with a Toro self-prop'ed mower, asked how it handles wet grass catching. As bad as hondas' apparently, he fixed it by modifying the blade assembly so it now has two bar-blades instead of one, look to be about 10mm apart, in line above each other.He says it has made a dramatic improvement to cutting, mulching and catching, it has lowered the cutting height too which as you may know is usually too high on yankee machines. If anyone is interested I'll get a photo.

Hey Redeye, I would appreciate some photos of this mod if possible.

Thanks John.

Redeye
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Sorry about the delay John, been laid up with the flu

SouthCoast Walker
01-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Redeye, I got the flu here too:-)

Interesting set up, I have the single blade with mulching kicker on top on my toro ad it mulches better than anything I have seen, doesnt cut as clean as swinging blades though.

Thanks for the pics.

simo
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I take it there is a spacer between the two blades ,Great idea should mulch/catch well..But hope the bolts are strong enough to take the extra load and thickness of the blades..

Redeye
02-07-2010, 07:44 PM
The whole set-up was made by a local engineering firm for a reasonable cost