PDA

View Full Version : Another gear purchasing thread!

aaron
25-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey guys,

Im starting up just before summer (maybe earlier) and Im compiling a list of stuff to get. I want to buy in one go to get a good deal. Ive got a fair idea of want I want, but am curious to see what others come up with.

list is..

2 x mowers - 1sp and one push
1 smaller CC brushcutter
1 big cc brushcutter
1 handheld blower
1 backpack blower
1 pole pruner
1 hedge trimer
1 utility mower

Conciderations -

I cant think of any brand that doesnt have a service agent locally.
I only want commercial.
Im a supporter of brands that aren't "cool" (yet).
Im also seeking any other equipment (powered that is) that Ive overlooked... Also any other words of wisdom.

This thread is going to be a brands war... I can see it now lol.

Thanks everyone!

63impala
25-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Hell yah baby it going to be a brand war STIHL all the way..

You dont need 2different cc brushie a 25cc27cc can handle a lot of taskes.

Stripes
25-06-2010, 02:35 PM
2 x mowers - 1sp and one push Go a Rover self propelled (It actually catches wet grass unlike the Honda,and a Honda push)

1 smaller CC brushcutter Kawasaki 27 or 34cc, the 34 is the best machine I have ever had
1 big cc brushcutter Kawasaki 48cc
1 handheld blower Echo
1 backpack blower Echo
1 pole pruner Shindi
1 hedge trimer Echo, -a friend swears by his Huski but I got burned by Huski
1 utility mower no idea!

Everyone has their preferences, but those are the machines I have used in my 15 years that seem to be the best imo.

GreenHaven
25-06-2010, 02:40 PM
proberly only need a handheld blower to start with and one brush cutter aswell as the mower not sure why you want a pushy if youve got a self propellered one but ive only ever used a 196, you gotta think servicing costs and if there brand new not much is going to go wrong with them and even if it does its a warrenty job for the first year or two anyway better of using the money for advertising or hand tools
just my 2c

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
25-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey guys,

Im starting up just before summer (maybe earlier) and Im compiling a list of stuff to get. I want to buy in one go to get a good deal. Ive got a fair idea of want I want, but am curious to see what others come up with.

list is..

1 smaller CC brushcutter
1 big cc brushcutter
1 handheld blower
1 backpack blower
1 pole pruner
1 hedge trimer
1 utility mower

Conciderations -

I only want commercial.
Im also seeking any other equipment (powered that is) that Ive overlooked... Also any other words of wisdom.

Thanks everyone!

personally i would just go to the honda dealer with your list and say whats your best price then fax it to all the towns 2 hours either way from you and see there prices I would go with 2 snippers that are the same dont go bull horns just go with the plastic loop.

MOWON
25-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Everyone has their preferences, but those are the machines I have used in my 15 years that seem to be the best imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post

2 x mowers - 1sp and one push Go a Rover self propelled (It actually catches wet grass unlike the Honda,and a Honda push)

1 smaller CC brushcutter Kawasaki 27 or 34cc, the 34 is the best machine I have ever had
1 big cc brushcutter Kawasaki 48cc
1 handheld blower Echo
1 backpack blower Echo
1 pole pruner Shindi
1 hedge trimer Echo, -a friend swears by his Huski but I got burned by Huski
1 utility mower no idea!

You can't go wrong if you use these type of machines (except for Huskie- no experience))
Routine maintenance and they will last for a few years, depending on the lawns you have.
As soon as you can afford to, replace them before they are worn out and (besides tax deduction ) you will have decent back up machines.
Keep doing this and you can employ a subbie to do the stuff you can't handle.
Has anyone employed workers who say they are experienced and stuffed up your machines by using 4/s in a 2/s ??:i dunno::i dunno::i dunno::i dunno:

aaron
25-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Stripes - How do you find cut quality compared to a Honda equivalent? How big is the catcher in comparison also? Thanks for your advice.

Greenhaven - Thanks for your advice. I want a push mower in anticipation for situations where a SP wont give me enough control. This is a choice that I have made having not used an SP mower before. Perhaps I'm miss guided?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden - The only Honda I will get is probably one of their mowers. The rest of their stuff doesn't do much for me ATM.

MOWON - Thanks for your advice!

63impala - What will it take to to sway away from that shade of orange! lol.

Multi - tools V dedicated pole pruners

Can anyone shed some light on how a multi-tool with pole saw attachtment peforms against a dedicated pole pruner?

ian
25-06-2010, 05:39 PM
aaron you list 3 mowers i would suggest
1 either self propelled or push and the utility mower then could be used as a back up
also i think 2 brushcutters unless you are planing on doing a lot of feral clean-ups are unnecessary my shindy t260 has slashed back quite a few large jobs using both line and blades but is still not to heavy for everyday use
the back pack blower this is a very expensive piece of equipment and unless you have large areas to blow the hand held will do the job
remember if you don't have a need for the tool it is best not to buy it until you do. Even if you have only used it 3 times in 12 months and it breaks on the 4th it is still out of warranty

aaron
25-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Ian - Well said, and advice I will take. The testosterone in me says "Buy more toys". Much appreciated!

NLALM
25-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Aaron maybe you could tell us what you have your eye on and ask for advice that way, cause everyone is going to say what they use is the best. If you said you were looking at this or that mower the guys will give you better feedback from experience with the machines. My advice is honda mowers, Don't buy any small 4 stroke engines for your blowers edgers and trimmers . You won't regret buying a backpack blower I wish I had bought mine years ago buy whatever will make your job easier and quicker. Please let us know what brands you are looking at.

aaron
25-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Mark - Yep I intend to soon. I was after new ideas first up to look at things I hadnt yet seen.

Stripes
25-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Stripes - How do you find cut quality compared to a Honda equivalent? How big is the catcher in comparison also? Thanks for your advice.

The Rover cut is the best cut I have come across with the commercial mowers. The front axle on the Honda gets sloppy and leaves swirl marks in lawns, especially couch, but the Rover has a few nuts that can be tightened. The Engine on the Rover- normally Briggs has a small fuel tank and always takes 2-3 pulls to start even when engine is warm. The Hondas are much easier to start.

The thing I hate about the Rover is the catcher. The hard plastic catcher opposed to the mesh Honda catcher does not hold anywhere near as much. As soon as it gets full, it spills. the Honda catcher can expand and allows you top just finish off without emptying if you only have a little bit left. it sort of mulches it up when full, but the Rover just leaves big clumps when full.
Cutting wet or long grass is where the Rover is best by miles. Even with dew on the grass the Honda can clog, but the Rover just eats it for breakfast. There is no perfect mower. They all have their pro's and cons. I have had two Rovers and 3 Hondas. Ideally it would be best to have one of each. Use the Rover on the really shmick lawns or if its wet, and use the Honda the other times.

Anjaryan
25-06-2010, 07:55 PM
aaron,

I agree with Impala on the stihl, but being Ballarat I have a very limited range to choose from.

Sthil positive is the Multi tool you could cover the brush cutter, pole hedger, pole pruner, (dont even look at the blower kombi attachment) all in one. Or just buy the extra attchaments as required.

I chose the Bushranger mower due to its performance in the wet and well Ballarat is wet for a good part of the year, down side is the blades are $22 pair.

N.B. this will be and is the only time i will agree with impala ;frosty;

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
25-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I use honda everything. There range is extremly good and everything is 4 stroke no having to mix fuel or having some offsider accidently putting unmixed or wrong mixed fuel in your machine.

geoff
25-06-2010, 08:06 PM
aaron,

I agree with Impala on the stihl, but being Ballarat I have a very limited range to choose from.

Sthil positive is the Multi tool you could cover the brush cutter, pole hedger, pole pruner, (dont even look at the blower kombi attachment) all in one. Or just buy the extra attchaments as required.

I chose the Bushranger mower due to its performance in the wet and well Ballarat is wet for a good part of the year, down side is the blades are $22 pair.

N.B. this will be and is the only time i will agree with impala ;frosty;

arent the bushrangers masport compatiable ..blades so much cheaper ..thats what we do with ours

SouthCoast Walker
25-06-2010, 10:04 PM
2 x mowers - 1sp and one push. BIG hole in the market here so couldn't recommend anything.
1 smaller CC brushcutter STIHL FS85 or FS110 if you can handle a little extra weight
1 big cc brushcutter Stihl FS130 or for big grunt a FS350 FS450 or 550 these are clearing saws.
1 handheld blower Stihl BG86
1 backpack blower Stihl BR 600
1 pole pruner Stihl HT101
1 hedge trimer Stihl combi tool attachment which can be used on the FS85 or 110 and even on the HT101 for real high stuff.
1 utility mower Victa mastercut 460

1 More thing every contractor should have is a Victa 550 and a Victa 600.

Andy B
25-06-2010, 10:18 PM
As your starting up it's hard to know what you're going to need. My suggestion would be as below, but again everyone is different and without knowing what area your in and what sort of work you might expect.

(Honda 216d and a 196d and get a side throw for it)
1 smaller CC brushcutter
(Get a cheapie, any brand but get a straight shaft unless your less than 5ft tall. :) )
1 big cc brushcutter
(kawasaki- being a newbie when spring hits all the established guys will be busy and you may pick up a lot of clean ups they are too busy for. So be ready for doing clean ups any day of the week.)
1 handheld blower
(Get a cheapie or a stihl) :wave-hi: Kev.
1 backpack blower
(Wait till you get work that warrants it like a school ground or similar)
1 pole pruner
(Get one with a rope if cash is short :) )
1 hedge trimer
(Get a cheapie and maybe even a pole combo with the pruner head but if your certain you're going to get plenty of hedging work research it and get what you need)
1 utility mower
(Get the side throw on the 196 and save the coin, i've done some pretty feral lawns with mine and my old rover with the flap held open with an occy strap but it's a bit dangerous or you can always use the brushy first if it's stalling too often.)

What sort of places are in your area? Terrain? Size? Vegetation?

holdenhead
25-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Hi Geoff, The newer Bushrangers arn't masport bases. They use Sthil Viking blades part no. BNC 5881. Wish I had the masport based Bushy. The only problem I have with my bushranger is if the grass is thick, this usually happens on thick Kyk even when regularly mowed the base gets caught on either the front of the chassis or the plate that sits between the gear box and blades. Do others have this problem??

Cheers Rick

ian
25-06-2010, 10:24 PM
arent the bushrangers masport compatiable ..blades so much cheaper ..thats what we do with ours

geoff i believe the pre 2008 bushrangers are masport but that PLP changed supplier in 2008 and that now MTD-YARDMAN BLADES are compatible

ian
25-06-2010, 10:33 PM
addition to my last post
i would suggest taking one of your bushranger blades into a dealer that doesn't sell bushranger and seeing if he can help with an alternative

geoff
25-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Geoff, The newer Bushrangers arn't masport bases. They use Sthil Viking blades part no. BNC 5881. Wish I had the masport based Bushy. The only problem I have with my bushranger is if the grass is thick, this usually happens on thick Kyk even when regularly mowed the base gets caught on either the front of the chassis or the plate that sits between the gear box and blades. Do others have this problem??

Cheers Rick

i see Rick , ive got the pre 2008 models actually are 2004 models and still going strong belive it or not...trouble is i keep buying new mowers and seem to go back to the bushrangers especially with all of this strange wety grass we are having :)hondas are useless in the wet but i hear the victa 4 stroke briggs is a ripper , may have to put that one in the stable as well

ian
25-06-2010, 11:38 PM
i need to learn to type faster i didn't see kevins post BNC5881 is the gaspares part no. the same blades fit both the MTD and VIKING

holdenhead
26-06-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm trying to get a collection of mowers going. The wife doesn't see the point. I want to try and get one of everything. I've got the bushy, a proscape, 195 honda, the 196 honda I had was like buying paper plates for a party......(disposable) and I've got a kubota 19inch pushie that is tough as. I dont have a catcher for it though, I priced one up at a cost of $180. Dont want one that bad. I want a victa 550 or 600 but heard they are rubbish now?? so not sure about that. And I want a rover SP but dont like briggs engines.

The Local Gardener
26-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey guys,

list is..

1 smaller CC brushcutter
1 big cc brushcutter
1 handheld blower
1 backpack blower
1 pole pruner
1 hedge trimer
1 utility mower

Conciderations -

I only want commercial.

Thanks everyone!

Buy all your gear from Dean, dont even bother shopping anywhere else.....

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
26-06-2010, 05:27 AM
I dont understand it everyone keeps whining about hondas in the wet i was mowing when it was pissing down straight through puddles where half my mower dissapeared in some of the puddles and the hondas where loving it. but where they where worst was when its only a little wet, after a cold dewy night i leave the couch yards till atleast 11 as there the ones honda plays up on. I still cant work out why they dont like the damp stuff. I reckon they love fully wet or fully dry they dont seem to like the inbetween stuff.

simo
26-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I`am with you on that tender, They realy hate a heavy or light dew but do ok after it has pissed down..Someone put as a tip on another thread to drag a hose across the lawn before mowing helps to get the water off the top of the grass..or even better grab a fire hose and drench it first :i dunno:

simo
26-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh and Honda mowers..Kawa brushie`s.. pope or stilh blower.. stilh backpack.. Stilh 4mix combi.. stilh or pope hedger.. Victa utility..:)

Anjaryan
26-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Yeah its a viking base.. good idea to take the blades to a non bushie dealer .. cheers

sorry to hijack the thread with blade talk:puter devil

Bgs
26-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Very subjective topic but this is what I have

2 x mowers - 1sp and one push I'd just get a 216 and use the utility as a back up
1 smaller CC brush cutter Kaaz with Mitsubishi motor

As mentioned the sthil kombi system may suit your requirements for the following three items I have one and its fantastic
1 big cc brush cutter
1 pole pruner
1 hedge trimmer

1 handheld blower BG86
1 backpack blower no experience with this sorry
1 utility mower Honda its great for overgrown lawns it has a side discharge and can be used on normal lawns as does a pretty good job The only annoying thing I find about this mower is the handle is in a low position

63impala
27-06-2010, 08:51 AM
what engine do you have for your stihl Kombi...

Bgs
27-06-2010, 08:55 AM
what engine do you have for your stihl Kombi...

I have the 85R

63impala
27-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Yah my buddy has that on the km130 is dam heavy but you get used to hit but when I used his km85 it was like playing with a toy it was that light....:general:coppa

RSM-Gazza
28-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Unless I've missed it, no talk or need for an edger?
I'm still up in the air on a $650 atom or funds directed to a multi tool + edger.
Not trying to change the tread, just no Edger mentioned.

63impala
28-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Get that atome can never have to many toys but is there a safe place you can store it on your rig...And you should be able to get it for 600 if your a smooth operator....:coppa:general:wave-hi:

Anjaryan
28-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I picked up the stihl edger attachment on friday, only done a few lawns so I will see how it goes.

Iv'e got the km 90 which is light enough to use the pole hedger for a day but still has decent power.

63impala
28-06-2010, 09:47 PM
You should have got the km130 for $50 more power 36.6cc and weighs the same as the km90.....

I picked up the stihl edger attachment on friday, only done a few lawns so I will see how it goes.

Iv'e got the km 90 which is light enough to use the pole hedger for a day but still has decent power.

Anjaryan
28-06-2010, 10:07 PM
You should have got the km130 for $50 more power 36.6cc and weighs the same as the km90.....

?? $200 more up here and slightly out of the budget at the time.

aaron
28-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.. I havent abandoned this thread, just busy at work. Ill be back on my days off, I hope!

RSM-Gazza
28-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Get that atome can never have to many toys but is there a safe place you can store it on your rig...And you should be able to get it for 600 if your a smooth operator....:coppa:general:wave-hi:

Designed the lock upfront mower compartment to carry one plus some spades and rakes in with a sp and pushie
Sorry Aaron, not wishing to go off the topic.

Bluey
29-06-2010, 09:30 AM

I run the KM90 as well. Have the edger attachment on it and it works fine. I use it on badly overgrown lawns to cut in an edge. I also have the hedger attachment and pole saw. Great tool is the Kombi

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I have an edger i brought from an auction sale. I never use it. I also dont have anyroom in my trailer to put it. If someone would like to buy it they can email me and we could possibly talk about selling it. If i dont sell it might try it out when the wet season comes again.

63impala
29-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey tender dont see your home boy VJ on here much any more what happen he go bust or what...:?

geoff1969
29-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Hey tender dont see your home boy VJ on here much any more what happen he go bust or what...:?

you took the words out of my mouth impala -- i miss reading vjs threads ..

Wattle GC
29-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Good question Impala.. He was gunho root shoot and electricute then nothing..assasination perhaps ??..

NLALM
29-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I run the KM90 as well. Have the edger attachment on it and it works fine. I use it on badly overgrown lawns to cut in an edge. I also have the hedger attachment and pole saw. Great tool is the Kombi

Has the KM90 superseeded the KM85 which is a 2 stroke not the 4 mix. Mine is just about worn out and when I had a look the dealer only had the 90 and 130 Im talking about the kombi tool I use the hedger every day awesome bit of gear I couldn't live without it.

63impala
29-06-2010, 03:24 PM
The MOB turned him in to fried rice or fish food that was a asain joke lol lol

Good question Impala.. He was gunho root shoot and electricute then nothing..assasination perhaps ??..

63impala
29-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Little tip for you ladies with shiny or stihl kombies if your main hedge craps itself get your combie take the head off the pole and then on the combi motor take off the cuppler that the pole goes in to and then put the hedger on that, a baby kombi hedger lol lol but it will get you out of the crapper one day so keep that in mine..:flush:flush:flush

Has the KM90 superseeded the KM85 which is a 2 stroke not the 4 mix. Mine is just about worn out and when I had a look the dealer only had the 90 and 130 Im talking about the kombi tool I use the hedger every day awesome bit of gear I couldn't live without it.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Hes still floating around me and him did a irrigation job together about three weeks ago and we went to an auction together two weeks ago and the amount he spent at the auction hes probably doing hundreds of jobs to catch it up. He is still doing security at the casino as well so i think that keeps him busy.

63impala
30-06-2010, 11:17 AM
So today I got another 216 and fs 85 retail 2200 got it for 1900 I tried 1800 but the best he could do was 1900 and then I said throw in some 2stroke oil he said I can do that sweet...So shiny dont wont to get them durty lol lol....

Wattle GC
30-06-2010, 04:19 PM
sounds great Impala..Its that time of the year to evaluate machinery needed for when it"s all systems go in spring..I will strip the bloody rover 560 again soon to make sure it will last another 5 minutes out in the field before spring..Buy all the spares ,oils etc as i try and go hard at the begining of the growing season and if anything breaks down I just grab another machine and keep going with a fix it later attitude..

Redeye
30-06-2010, 07:21 PM
So today I got another 216 and fs 85 retail 2200 got it for 1900 I tried 1800 but the best he could do was 1900 and then I said throw in some 2stroke oil he said I can do that sweet...So shiny dont wont to get them durty lol lol....
You must have more gear than your local shop!

Bluey
30-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I will never knock a bloke for having a lot of gear but how much is too much. I have actually pulled a lot out of my vehicle. Found I hardly ever used it and dropped the weight considerably. Thanks to Gopher I can now look at my daily jobs easily and think I will need this for that job and put it in if it is required. I have found the basic kit is not that much really. Would you need more than 3 mowers ever:i dunno:

courty
30-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I reckon this might be a pic of Kev,no other way he could use all that gear :big grin

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/001-Ganish.jpg

Bluey
30-06-2010, 07:53 PM
No mate your wrong. No USMC tattoo

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
30-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Nothing worse though than turning up to a job wishing you had a shovel or rake or something you chucked out of the trailer the other day thinking one less thing to worry about for the day.

aaron
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice, experience and comical nonsence! It is ver much appreciate. These are my current choices. I know some of it goes against the grain E.g No Honda! But I believe ive looked into attriubutes rather than excellent advertising.

Makita was chosen not only because I believe they are excelent (own some already) but because I can get them at wholesale price :)

63Impala - Sorry to fail you, but there is no Stihl at this stage. When It comes time for the use of a pole pruner and multi-tool I will be visiting them for sure :P

I look forward to further comments on my choices. Thanks again everyone!

Utility mower – (Two options - not sure which one)

Bushranger - http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/ute.html
Victa Mulchmaster 560 2 stroke - http://www.victa.com.au/index.cfm?p=426BF937-5C07-4DBC-BE952732746CD4F8

Self propelled mower - Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled - http://www.newcastlechainsawsandmowers.com.au/rover/pro-cut-560-mulch-n-catch-self-propelled.html

push mower - (back up) - Bushranger 530 Commercial Mower http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/530.html

Brushcutter – Makita RBC3110 - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-brushcutters/item/petrol-brushcutters/rbc3110-petrol-brushcutter-2-stroke?Prodid=

blower/vac Makita - BHXV2500 -Petrol Blower/Vacuum 4-stroke - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-blowersvacuum/item/petrol-blowersvacuum/bhxv2500-petrol-blowervacuum-4-stroke?Prodid=

Hedge trimmer – Makita - HTS6000 -Petrol Hedge Trimmer - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-hedge-trimmers/item/petrol-hedge-trimmers/hts6000-petrol-hedge-trimmer#

Edger – Atom 2 stroke - http://www.atomindustries.com.au/index.php?x=edger_pro2

Anjaryan
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice, experience and comical nonsence! It is ver much appreciate. These are my current choices. I know some of it goes against the grain E.g No Honda! But I believe ive looked into attriubutes rather than excellent advertising.

Makita was chosen not only because I believe they are excelent (own some already) but because I can get them at wholesale price :)

63Impala - Sorry to fail you, but there is no Stihl at this stage. When It comes time for the use of a pole pruner and multi-tool I will be visiting them for sure :P

I look forward to further comments on my choices. Thanks again everyone!

Utility mower – (Two options - not sure which one)

Bushranger - http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/ute.html
Victa Mulchmaster 560 2 stroke - http://www.victa.com.au/index.cfm?p=426BF937-5C07-4DBC-BE952732746CD4F8

Self propelled mower - Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled - http://www.newcastlechainsawsandmowers.com.au/rover/pro-cut-560-mulch-n-catch-self-propelled.html

push mower - (back up) - Bushranger 530 Commercial Mower http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/530.html

Brushcutter – Makita RBC3110 - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-brushcutters/item/petrol-brushcutters/rbc3110-petrol-brushcutter-2-stroke?Prodid=

blower/vac Makita - BHXV2500 -Petrol Blower/Vacuum 4-stroke - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-blowersvacuum/item/petrol-blowersvacuum/bhxv2500-petrol-blowervacuum-4-stroke?Prodid=

Hedge trimmer – Makita - HTS6000 -Petrol Hedge Trimmer - http://www.makita.com.au/products/outdoor-power-equipment/petrol-hedge-trimmers/item/petrol-hedge-trimmers/hts6000-petrol-hedge-trimmer#

Edger – Atom 2 stroke - http://www.atomindustries.com.au/index.php?x=edger_pro2

So now we can have more colour arguments....

Red, Orange or blue ;frosty;

3 mowers to start up is alot imho.

Personally I would drop one of them and pick up a pole hedger, great for anything over your height and you wont need to worry about a ladder until you get to the bigger stuff.

I have run a bushranger for almost 10 months and it hasn't missed a beat, I dont know much about the 560 so I wont advise on that one.

The only down side with the bushie is the cost of the blades, gaspares have them all and they are not cheap .. $22 for 4.

I would look into this for the makita stuff too, as you will need spare parts, to keep things running. I dont know much about Makita lawn tools but they are known for quality power tools and if they reproduce the quality into the lawn stuff you shouldn't have issues.

Good luck

aaron
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I want the Rover because It can cut wet grass unlike the Honda. Id prefer the Bushranger sp but they are been discontinued. The Bushranger push mower is for backup, and the utility is for feral yards.

Like I said, I can get Makita stuff at wholesale. That also includes spares.

Thanks for your advice :)

simo
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Makita brushies are good I`ve used them in the past no problems nice and light well priced..I looked at another but went stilh only because there is a dealer for repairs..Good choices happy mowing..:cool:

Redeye
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
All looks good to me,love Makita's stuff - Robin engines are probably the best in the industry. Consider a Echo blower..Don't know about the new Victa 560, if the base looks solid,(I'm assuming its alloy) can't see a problem - you can always replace wheels etc with old stuff via ebay etc if neeeds be, literally sh*tloads of it out there

SouthCoast Walker
01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I want the Rover because It can cut wet grass unlike the Honda. Id prefer the Bushranger sp but they are been discontinued. The Bushranger push mower is for backup, and the utility is for feral yards.

Like I said, I can get Makita stuff at wholesale. That also includes spares.

Thanks for your advice :)

The Victa 560 is quiet a heavy unit, I don't know how feral your feral yards are but the mastercut 460 is very light, nimble and strong. Might be a better and cheaper option if you don't need SP.

The 550/560 mowers are more for high production open areas than ferals in my opinion.

aaron
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for that. I dont want a SP for jungle treking.

SouthCoast Walker
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
460 here on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VICTA-MASTERCUT-MASTER-460-UTILITY-LAWNMOWER-LAWN-MOWER_W0QQitemZ120588514607QQcategoryZ71272QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26 itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3 D7431249918134866418