PDA

View Full Version : Weed and Feed

VJinTownsville
05-07-2010, 03:44 AM
What does everyone do here to clean up lawns with weeds on them.

I havent really tried out anything on the market.

Is there commercial types? If there is where can I get bulk of those rather than get small packets at a time.

andy056
05-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi VJ

We use Kamba M or Cutlass M

generally buy in 5 litre or 20 litre from our local rural supplies store, Cost $248 for a 20 litre Cutlass M last week

Cheers Andy

glassngrass
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I've had great success with both granular Weed'n'Feed, also with Kamba-M (same active ingredients for the weedicide)
In this damp weather, the granules will reactivate with every dew/drizzle/rain.
Once I hit dryer month of August, I prefer Kamba-M, just watch the rainfast period!

Kamba-M is my preference. If you hit weeds good before peak growingseason, you'll save a heap of work in Spring and Summer because the lawns take longer before they look untidy and you can extend mowing periods.

Makesure you rinse your spray pack straight afterwards - the chemicals will deteriorate your pack.

VJinTownsville
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Wat do you guys use for this time of the year (mid-year)?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Mate i have a bindi and clover spray that Ive been using with great success but there is another one bindbi i think its called with an orange label it is the bomb.

andy056
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
You have to be careful what you use on buffalo lawns etc as most will kill the buffalo aswell

ian
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
this may be helpful [ Sapphire Buffalo Lawn can be sprayed with Bromoxynil and MCPA, as it is resistant to these chemicals. Follow directions on the spray pack. Remember never to use Dicamba on Buffalo grass.] i believe this applies to all buffalo varieties and both Kamba m and Cutlass m have Dicamba as a main active ingredient

hgnel
13-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi
Does anyone know were to buy 5 or 20 litres of kamba m
location near Penrith NSW
Thanks
Hg

DavidS
13-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Hg ring Kevin Booth from Globe Australia 0438011042, he will give you a price which includes delivery, or he will deliver it to you as he live around Blacktown.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Mate i have a bindi and clover spray that Ive been using with great success but there is another one bindbi i think its called with an orange label it is the bomb.

Is that binbi or bindie. I've used bin di on my lawn for a couple of years and don't have any problems with bindi anymore but the bloody clover comes up everywhere every winter. Going to feed it with high nitrogen fertilizer and hopefully it makes a difference

NLALM
14-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Is that binbi or bindie. I've used bin di on my lawn for a couple of years and don't have any problems with bindi anymore but the bloody clover comes up everywhere every winter. Going to feed it with high nitrogen fertilizer and hopefully it makes a difference

Mate clover is a good sign of high nitrogen levels in the soil, I wouldn't fertilise it keep hitting it with the bindie The best thing for clover I have found is spearhead but you can only get it in 10 litres so it's a bit expensive you can use it on everything and it is residual in the soil. The guys using Kamba make sure you don't spray it on buffalo it has dicamba in it. If you do use spearhead mix it at the recomended rate if you make it to strong it to will burn the grass . Even at the correct rate you may get some translucent disclouration. This year I have just been using chemspray bindie with good results. Although it has been a bad season here for getting good results lots of things can affect your spraying. Timing is important and the weeds need to be growing to absorb the chemical. You could write a book on this subject hope this helps

RSM-Gazza
14-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yep as Mark said you could write a book on it.
The ChemCert AgVet course I did highlights the many varied requirements for effective application. They do give you a 400 page book on it you study with and take home.
Early morning and late arvo spraying can be non effective. Delta T temps from BOM site needs to be within 2 to 8 degrees to be effective in your local area. Spraying on a hot dry day is a waste of product as the plant has shut down. Spraying is best at the plants vulnerable stage of growth.
Re entry withholding period for animals after application, Selective, Non selective, Residual and Non residual Herbicides. Advangtes of Emulsifiable concentrate, Water dispersible granule, Dust, Controlled realease,Suspension concentrate, Bbrrrrrr,were does it end.

Sheeish, its a bit like that TV commercial and he asks "I just want a carton of Milk.

Getting a bit of topic, sorry, but all interesting when we talk about Weed and Feed
I'm no expert and when I start spraying I'll be looking up this forum for what your all using.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Mate clover is a good sign of high nitrogen levels in the soil, I wouldn't fertilise it keep hitting it with the bindie The best thing for clover I have found is spearhead but you can only get it in 10 litres so it's a bit expensive you can use it on everything and it is residual in the soil. The guys using Kamba make sure you don't spray it on buffalo it has dicamba in it. If you do use spearhead mix it at the recomended rate if you make it to strong it to will burn the grass . Even at the correct rate you may get some translucent disclouration. This year I have just been using chemspray bindie with good results. Although it has been a bad season here for getting good results lots of things can affect your spraying. Timing is important and the weeds need to be growing to absorb the chemical. You could write a book on this subject hope this helps

I always thought that a lawn with a lot of clover or onion weed was a sign that there is not enough nitrogen in the soil.

ian
14-07-2010, 06:01 PM
clover in a lawn is usually a sign of low nitrogen as bacteria that lives in symbiosis with the clover fixes nitrogen from the air this link may explain it better http:///www.backyardnature.net/econitro.htm and yes there have been a number of hypotheses regarding increasing nitrogen and maybe also lowering phosphorus might eradicate clover

NLALM
14-07-2010, 06:48 PM
clover in a lawn is usually a sign of low nitrogen as bacteria that lives in symbiosis with the clover fixes nitrogen from the air this link may explain it better http:///www.backyardnature.net/econitro.htm and yes there have been a number of hypotheses regarding increasing nitrogen and maybe also lowering phosphorus might eradicate clover

Mate when I read your post I thought you were wrong for some silly reason I thought clover meant excessive N in the soil where I picked this up from I will never know anyway I just looked up some text books and you are right.It states in one book . When the N level is not adequate, white clover or other low-growing legumes commonly invade. Strategy 3 for control states Apply a selective postemergence broadleaf herbicide before clover begins to flower in combination with increased nitrogen fertility. Do not apply herbicides when white clover is in flower or under moisture stress, as poor control will result. Ian thanks for picking me up on this I hate to give the wrong advice to anyone I still don't know why I thought it was the other way around. Oh I just got it one of my apprentices once put that answer in an exam I remember him talking about it and for some reason it stuck in my head

NLALM
14-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I just checked out the plant file report on Trifolium repens and it says the same thing. I find plantfile a really useful tool do any of you guys use it.

m287j
14-07-2010, 09:06 PM
This year I have just been using chemspray bindie with good results. Although it has been a bad season here for getting good results lots of things can affect your spraying. Timing is important and the weeds need to be growing to absorb the chemical. You could write a book on this subject hope this helps

I always tend to use the Chemspray products Bindie on buffalo lawns and Kleen Weed on couch and kikuya. I also find the results a bit hit and miss, some times it looks like none of it worked, some times some has worked and other times it has been a real success.

I also notice on the Bindie box they say don't mow for one week before or after mowing. Does anyone know why they say one week before (i can understand the reasoning for one week after).

Did a massive spray job at one of our unit complexes two weeks ago so will be very interested to see the results tomorrow.

ian
14-07-2010, 09:09 PM
matt i believe the week before has to do with leaf length the longer the leaf the more poison can be spread on the weed

lenny
14-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I have had clover coming up everywhere in my lawn at home. I fertilise the lawn regularly about 3 times a year with high N fertilisers. Have tried using bindie as my lawn is buffalo with poor results. Have resulted to hand weeding a lot of it.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-07-2010, 12:50 AM
matt i believe the week before has to do with leaf length the longer the leaf the more poison can be spread on the weed

I believe your right. I have sprayed in winter and doesn't seem to have a great effect but spray in summer and didn't work out too well. Sorry that is on kik. Last summer using chemspray bindi thought I had killed my kik lawn. Looked like it had been hit with round up.

DavidS
31-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Kikuyu will always turn yellow and look like it is dying when you use broadleaf weeder. It always comes back.
If you have lots of clover, aerate the soil with a machine that takes plugs out of the ground, mow the area after the aeration with grass catcher to pick up plugs, mix up 4kg of Urea in a twenty litre bucket and then spray this over the lawn and clover, lightly water after application. Then every month for 3 months spread blood and bone on the lawn and water in, this won't get rid of all the clover straight away but do the same thing for a couple of years and it will get rid of the clover. You need to feed the soil to get rid of clover. Only problem with this system is the fact that you will find your self mowing every week.

DavidS
31-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes Ian is correct with the length of the leaf, the longer the leaf the more chemical will be taken into the plant to kill it.

MOWON
14-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Mate when I read your post I thought you were wrong for some silly reason I thought clover meant excessive N in the soil where I picked this up from I will never know anyway I just looked up some text books and you are right.It states in one book . When the N level is not adequate, white clover or other low-growing legumes commonly invade. Strategy 3 for control states Apply a selective postemergence broadleaf herbicide before clover begins to flower in combination with increased nitrogen fertility. Do not apply herbicides when white clover is in flower or under moisture stress, as poor control will result. Ian thanks for picking me up on this I hate to give the wrong advice to anyone I still don't know why I thought it was the other way around. Oh I just got it one of my apprentices once put that answer in an exam I remember him talking about it and for some reason it stuck in my head

Damn - I had it wrong too.
thanks Ian
Um - Just had a thought.
I grow vegetables and to replace nitrogen in the soil I plant a crop of peas, beans ,alfalfa and clover to replenish nitrogen in depleted soils.
So when I see clover growing I have just thought this would be beneficial and have left it.
Funny feeling I am talking about the wrong thing.
Another beer:safety:safety

PaulG
23-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Can anyone definitely confirm yes or no to using Kamba on Buffalo? Many of you say no due to the dicamba and salts but in the literature for Kamba it says don't spray Buffalo more than once in twelve months, meaning it must be okay for a one-off spray (not the best being only able to spray once though if you get resistant weeds).

imoww
31-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I can't believe this. Have alook at this guys way of killing weeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKce7l_Y6vE

ian
31-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I can't believe this. Have alook at this guys way of killing weeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKce7l_Y6vE

what a great idea can't think of a better way to spend a day than ironing my lawn just a pity that the steam will kill the grass as well

imoww
31-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Actually, i have a question on weed killers.
I noticed small areas of a customer's lawn to be dead.
I asked the old lady does she know what happend there?
She said "They were weeds. So I sprayed weed killer on them.
I saw the bottle of Zero on her back porch.
Damn. So i put Scotts lawn builder on the areas and now waiting to see what happens...
Any ideas what to do here guys?

ian
31-10-2010, 09:30 PM
buffalo,couch, kikuyu or other self repairing/creeping types should just grow back over these areas other types you may have to reseed zero being a glypho based poison doesn't have a residual effect

imoww
31-10-2010, 09:46 PM
buffalo,couch, kikuyu or other self repairing/creeping types should just grow back over these areas other types you may have to reseed zero being a glypho based poison doesn't have a residual effect

Thats what i thought Ian.
Its Buffalo. So should be OK

Back to Basics
31-10-2010, 09:54 PM
What is the best weed n feed for buffalo?

imoww
31-10-2010, 10:26 PM

I thought the best for Buffalo was Scotts lawn builder. It works for me

ian
31-10-2010, 10:41 PM

always check the labels on any weed'n'feed type product as most of the liquid hose on types will actually damage buffalo the granular weed'n'feed /feed'n'weed should be ok as the active ingredient is iron sulphate i would prefer to use a broadleaf weed spray suitable for buffalo [buffalo master or 1 of the many similar but cheaper products check the active ingredients on the label ] then do a follow up fertilize