PDA

View Full Version : Birds destroying lawn

lenny
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
My lawn at home I have noticed in the last week the birds going crazy over it. They are pecking at certain parts of my lawn. They seem to not like any of the neighbours, but mine. My lawn is healthy were as a lot of the neighbours lawns have gone dormant and very thin not much growth. Do you think my lawn may have a grub in it? The lawn seems to look okay for this time of the year and when I pull at those areas it is hard to pull out. Any ideas!!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
My lawn at home I have noticed in the last week the birds going crazy over it. They are pecking at certain parts of my lawn. They seem to not like any of the neighbours, but mine. My lawn is healthy were as a lot of the neighbours lawns have gone dormant and very thin not much growth. Do you think my lawn may have a grub in it? The lawn seems to look okay for this time of the year and when I pull at those areas it is hard to pull out. Any ideas!!

Probably just after the grass hoppers and bugs they are probably in you yard as it is the most healthy. If there not hurting your yard I wouldnt worry about it.

Scooby Steve
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Lenny i'm guessing theres no hot blondes or brunettes in amongst those birds hey, look for holes in the lawn that might indicate grub activity, also after heavy rain or if you give it a good watering look for any grubs that might come to the surface. Once you indentify the grub there are quite a few sprays you can use to control them, thats if they are there in the first place.

Have you ever looked over the lawn while the birds are attacking it?

Is it worms they are after?

lenny
09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Lenny i'm guessing theres no hot blondes or brunettes in amongst those birds hey, look for holes in the lawn that might indicate grub activity, also after heavy rain or if you give it a good watering look for any grubs that might come to the surface. Once you indentify the grub there are quite a few sprays you can use to control them, thats if they are there in the first place.

Have you ever looked over the lawn while the birds are attacking it?

Is it worms they are after?

Thx for the reply scooby. No there is no hot blondes just a few red headed galahs. We have had a lot of rain of late and i haven't seen any grubs come to the surface. I might have to buy a cat.

ian
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
shove a spade under the grass and carefully lift it in a few places and check for grubs as they could be active under the soil and the damage they cause to the roots won't become evident until you get some drier weather and then there aren't enough roots to find the water in the drier soil

Stripes
10-07-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm with Ian. Just cut a few small sections with a spade and check for grubs. Birds can be a sign of grubs. My lawn had a heap of birds on it for a while in late Summer but it was because they were feeding on the fruit off the Liquidamber trees at the front of my house.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Thx for the reply scooby. No there is no hot blondes just a few red headed galahs. We have had a lot of rain of late and i haven't seen any grubs come to the surface. I might have to buy a cat.

Tell pauline hanson and jullia gillard to get off your grass........lol....;frosty;:laughing::laughing::l aughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Bluey
10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
If they are galahs then they will be after seed. Galahs don't eat worms. They are seed eaters. Probably just after the seed in the grass after you have mowed it.

DavidS
10-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah I agree with Bluey, we have heaps of Galahs out here and they land in flocks of up to 100 and graze on the grass seed and on the crops.

Scooby Steve
10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Would the grass be seeding this time of the year?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Yeah thats all the grass seems to be doing in townsville.

Bluey
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Probably not but being winter the galahs are looking for feed. They know where to find it and it is easier for them to find seed that has fallen in some areas. They wont hurt your lawn but watch out they don't get bored and start chewing on other things like your house. Over here we have huge flocks of correllas which can get really destructive by chewing things. Not for food but just for fun.