PDA

View Full Version : Iphone

Gordon Gekko
11-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi All,

Was wondering thru a Telstra shop and saw the Iphone for $49 per for 24 months, with no up front cost + $400 worth of calls a month.......i couldn't go past that deal, my phone bill now will go down by about $30 per month and i get a new phone :madnoel

I was told they are doing this great deal because of the new Iphone 4G coming out soon.

Anyway, I now sync my outlook calander with my iphone calander, so this is my new way of scheduling my day to day work, it is fantastic. I can call, text or email my clients and visa versa:rolleyes:

Anybody else using an Iphone?

Jay

administrator
11-07-2010, 09:02 AM
What i find amazing especially in your case Gordon somebody is paying you 350.00 a month to use the phone lol

Brilliant .

i am amazed also that the tax department doesnt turn around and charge you tax on the 350.00 bucks worth of calls as income and who pays the gst on the 350.00 :pop worm

How does all this phone stuff work the service provider has to be making amoney otherwise they wouldnt be able to provide the service .

does my head in .

Sorry for taking the thread of topic .

Bluey
11-07-2010, 10:12 AM
How will it stack up to hard wearing use. I seem to have the ability to kill phones on a regular basis. I am going for the tradies phone next.

ian
11-07-2010, 10:12 AM
i think about 10 years ago it cost 9 cents a minute for a phone call now they charge 90 cents and tell you there giving you free minutes :laughing:also i remember reading that the actual cost of sending a text is less than 1 cent but they charge 25 cents so i think they can afford to offer free calls and text

RSM-Gazza
11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Jay,

I just signed up for the Telstra bus $49 cap plan.
But I went for 12 months and wait for it, I actually paid $99 for a Nokia 6120.
Why, because it the lightest, smallest, thinest of the lot and can be carried in the top pocket with ease.
I don't need to mention, but be careful as I've seen what happened to both my daughters I phones upon dropping them from waist height on to bitumen.
But I must I say I like that scheduling sync idea and the scrolling tricks at hand.
Well my daughters think I'm mad for not getting the I pod on a 24mth contract. It's OK, you can agree with them as well.:)

NLALM
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Jay I was thinking of getting an iphone when I saw the new one on telly the other day I thought I might wait for it. But I'm like bluey Iv'e broken heaps of phones never had more than 18 months out of one so if I got an iphone I don't think it would leave the ute. Iv'e dropped em in ponds creeks and even barrows of cement and I try to be careful. You can get some good deals at the moment.

courty
11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Bluey
I had a Samsung Tradies phone in my last job,it was a POS. Stick with a Nokia if they do a tradies phone.

Might have to check out an iPhone today,everything else I have is Mac so it might be handy if the price is right.

63impala
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
This is the one I got and I have a arel that clips in to it they have a new model out now the t90 look pritty good...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Unlocked-Telstra-ZTE-F159-Next-G-3G-AGPS-TTN-Phone-Blue-/290445111517?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Mobile_Phones&hash=item439fe0b0dd

Bluey
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I do like the concept of the Iphone but seriously I would probably never use a fraction of it's capabilities and I don't fully understand what apps you have to pay for etc. As a personal phone it would probably be great but for work I need a rugged no frills phone that won't self destruct if I drop it and can put up with a dusty environment. About the only extra things I want on it is a camera and blue tooth.

Gordon why don't you have a look at Gopher. I used to try and use Outlook for scheduling. It was a complete pain. I bought a copy of Gopher and haven't looked back since. Beats the hell out of trying to schedule in Outlook

Bgs
11-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Jay,

Why, because it the lightest, smallest, thinest of the lot and can be carried in the top pocket with ease.
I don't need to mention, but be careful as I've seen what happened to both my daughters I phones upon dropping them from waist height on to bitumen.
But I must I say I like that scheduling sync idea and the scrolling tricks at hand.
Well my daughters think I'm mad for not getting the I pod on a 24mth contract. It's OK, you can agree with them as well.:)

G'day Riverside,

I have the Nokia 3120 on a $29 Cap and can sync my schedule with my Outlook Calendar on my pc and access emails aswell so you should be able to do it with the 6120.

RSM-Gazza
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Bgs

I really don't wish to e-mail during the day as I don't trust what my bill will deliver.
Just wanted a simple phone of Nokia origin and the same one that I've using for years. I've two of them now. May get my head around and explore the scheduling side you mentioned, but I'm happy to use a appointment dairy that I managed well in my past career at this stage. Thanks

Redeye
11-07-2010, 11:45 AM
I've got a samsung on a $20 plan ($15 in reality), its a Blue-tick phone so works in the middle of nowhere or out-wide fishing. Had nothing but dramas with nokias.

johnnie5
11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Jay,

if you have your own phone you never ever EVER sign up on a contract

there is plenty of month to month caps

for those that just want basic phone service look at TPG $1 Plan

http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html

10c flagfall 9.9c/min billed per second

Iphone is even cheaper atm on virgin

www.dealextreme.com has some great cases to protect the phone for not much dollars

want cheap and robust phones and basic, nokia for $50 does the job, when it dies its not that bad to bin it and get another

63impala
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Man bye the best you....You know kev you know the rest..lol

Stripes
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I've lost count of how many phones I have smashed while working, whether it be a cracked screen, water getting into it, or just not working properly after all the bumps it has had. I now just buy the cheapies and grab a new one when I destroy it after about 6 months or so. I had an expensive phone that got a cracked screen when pretty new so since then I just use cheapies. I had one of the old Nokia tradie phones about 5 years ago but it was garbage. Don't know if they are any better now.

63impala
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Nokias are good when I was 17 I was droping the kids off at the pool and playing a game on my phone Multi tasking any way the phone fell in the craper...Grabed it out dried it off and put it in the sun and worked like new....:flush:flush

Stripes
11-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Nokias are good when I was 17 I was droping the kids off at the pool and playing a game on my phone Multi tasking any way the phone fell in the craper...Grabed it out dried it off and put it in the sun and worked like new....:flush:flush

I hope it was before the kids were actually swimming? :flush

ian
11-07-2010, 04:51 PM
they had cases for the iphone 3g at the reject shop the other day for $3

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I am glad to see from all the posts its not only me that destroys phones. I go through that many but i brought a tradies one last time and so far so good had it 6 months and no problems. I have thought about getting an iphone after seeing pictures on one a guy i know has but i no for sure i will scratch the screen. I had a touch screen one from ebay once before and once the screen was scratched every time i tried to put in a 9 it would put a 6 unless i hit a certain corner of the 9.

The picture quality is awesome and the nice big screen you can show them to customers and the can easily see the pic and you can zoom in. So you could show potential customers well this is one i did earlier.

courty
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I picked up an iphone this arvo, if I dont like it I'll just flick it over to my missus. I'm not hard on phones but I might grab one of these for it.
http://www.otterbox.com.au/iphone-cases/iphone-3g-defender-case/index.html

m287j
11-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I am one who has broken many phones during work. I bought an otter box for it (refer courty's link above) and have not damaged it in the slightest.

The features on the iphone are brilliant, i can check emails for quote requests etc. I can use the internet, find local suppliers through goggle searches and best thing is the Weather Bureau app i downloaded with weather forecasts, current temps and more importantly weather radar.

Really a very good phone with many good app's for us guys.

MowerRob
11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Have had an Iphone for a year now has a prodective film over the screen and is in a protective rubber cover .

Its an awesome phone especially having the weather radar at hand knowing if we can sit out the rain or if rains on the way or if its time to go home due to rain.

Sits in top pocket

Love all the games got over 7 pages of apps

ian
11-07-2010, 07:44 PM
the also have the screen guards at the reject shop http://www.rejectshop.com.au/assets/images/catalogue/large_4.jpg this is cheaper than they were at the carribean market today

cadase
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I do like the concept of the Iphone but seriously I would probably never use a fraction of it's capabilities and I don't fully understand what apps you have to pay for etc. As a personal phone it would probably be great but for work I need a rugged no frills phone that won't self destruct if I drop it and can put up with a dusty environment. About the only extra things I want on it is a camera and blue tooth.

Gordon why don't you have a look at Gopher. I used to try and use Outlook for scheduling. It was a complete pain. I bought a copy of Gopher and haven't looked back since. Beats the hell out of trying to schedule in Outlook

I've just started using gopher, i normally use a card system, which i will keep for a while until i'm more confident with gopher.i'm on the trial version

imoww
12-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Guys, Ive had an iPhone for nearly a year now. It is great to use as an office assistant, phone, callandar etc. I can get weather results in one click. Memos, reminders and more.
Great for entering customer's details, follow ups etc. All in one phone.
Ive dropped it on the ground a few times and it hasnt broken yet.
Im on a plan with Optus $59 per month. $480 calls and unlimeted text and multi media. I think it's up to 3 Gigs of internet also.

And goggle maps for searching new clients or for the quickest way to another client..
So far , I have not gone over the monthly useage. And it works out better for me instead of the old pre paid I used to have.

Andy B
12-07-2010, 09:37 AM
In my opinion if you aren't into flashy cameras or blue tooth accessories get a nokia 5140i. I've had 3 other tradie phones and numerous other phones but the 5140i has out lasted all of them. As well as being tough as nails it's also got a thermometer which I haven't found in any other phone yet.

Bluey
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks Andy

I need both the camera and bluetooth.

Gordon Gekko
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Hi Bluey,

Do you know if Gopher will sync with the Iphone?

Cheers

Jay

courty
12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Jay
I just downloaded gophers trial version tonight,will let you know once I've played with it.

Gordon Gekko
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Jay
I just downloaded gophers trial version tonight,will let you know once I've played with it.

Thanks Courty :)

Bluey
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Jay

Not sure on that and probably not. I bought a netbook to have it in the field but it would not run on that because the screen was too small. I just print the daily run sheet and make notes on that and do the amendments when I get back home. I figure the less time I have to bugger about in the field the better. I just need a list of what I have to do and details I need to record. My offsider fills it in as we go between jobs. Gives him something to do.

DavidS
13-07-2010, 07:04 AM
I still use my Telstra traddies phone, it has bluetooth and camera. it has been in dams, ponds, mud, run over by a bobcat and dropped so many times but it still works. I will be getting another one when contract finishes in a few months.
I to use Gopher scheduling, it is so much better than outlook or MyMow, most of all you get to trial it for a month before you have to buy.

PaulG
02-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Posted in wrong topic.

See this one.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?9911-apps-for-us-guys-on-our-phones&p=95208&viewfull=1#post95208