PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Kombi Ext Shaft

Chris B
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

we have a stihl kombi (great machine!) with the carbon fibre extension shaft, used the ext less than 10 times but has a rattle / vibration?? (just when using ext) tried adding more grease but still same problem. anyone else find the same / is this normal??:i dunno:

Wattle GC
12-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Hi all,

we have a stihl kombi (great machine!) with the carbon fibre extension shaft, used the ext less than 10 times but has a rattle / vibration?? (just when using ext) tried adding more grease but still same problem. anyone else find the same / is this normal??:i dunno:

Any more info....Which attachment gives the problem..

Chris B
12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
sorry not very clear... its just the actual extension shaft which rattles/vibrates not the engine or attachments. so if i use without it works fine & smooth.

Wattle GC
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
sorry not very clear... its just the actual extension shaft which rattles/vibrates not the engine or attachments. so if i use without it works fine & smooth.

Some of these extensions have bushes inside them (like a bearing which the shaft rotates in).if these bushes get dirt in them it can upset the balance of the shaft or wear them down so there is play between the bushes and the shaft.. How old is this extension..??

Chris B
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Some of these extensions have bushes inside them (like a bearing which the shaft rotates in).if these bushes get dirt in them it can upset the balance of the shaft or wear them down so there is play between the bushes and the shaft.. How old is this extension..??

its brand new. seems to just have two plastic end caps with a steel shaft rotating in between, unless im missing a part? I will ask the dealer but thought id ask first. ill have another look at it to make sure its not worn

Wattle GC
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
its brand new. seems to just have two plastic end caps with a steel shaft rotating in between, unless im missing a part? I will ask the dealer but thought id ask first. ill have another look at it to make sure its not worn

Check with the dealer to see if its all there seems a bit strange but i have seen them with missing bushes which causes this problem.. Make sure the shaft is sitting in properly and not sticking out at one end...Other than worn or missing bushes or a bent shaft thats about all i can tell ya..

andy056
12-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Chris B

I had the same problem with my stilhl kombi carbon fibre extension

Took it to the dealer as it was still under warranty, don't remember what it was but it is all good now, no cost just half hour of my time taking it there

DavidS
13-07-2010, 07:11 AM
I use mine every second day and have not had any problems bar the inner shaft pulling out when I am disassembling the unit, this has not been a problem lately, must have been stiff.

NLALM
14-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I use mine every second day and have not had any problems bar the inner shaft pulling out when I am disassembling the unit, this has not been a problem lately, must have been stiff.

Mine does that to, I often wonder why but it doesn't affect it so I haven't bothered getting it fixed

Chris B
14-07-2010, 04:28 PM
i think the plastic liner inside is pretty crappy??
its at the dealer now .. think they are gonna change it over with a new one... he mentioned they would contact stihl and find out more. will let you know what happens. Im glad i took it back though... paying $150 for a pole, you expect it to run smooth as!

63impala
14-07-2010, 07:00 PM
This is how you do it, Some times they sell stihl KM shafts on ebay..So you bye the shaft for $50 you go in to stihl and bye the attachement at the end for $35 so theres your pole extenion for $85 bucks.....:before:before:safety:FU:toilet claw

Chris B
28-07-2010, 11:50 AM
took it back to the dealer, they swapped it over for a new one. vibration/rattle not as bad however its not as smooth as i would like / expect it to be. the shaft rotates inside a plastic sleeve which is probably why?