PDA

View Full Version : Referals.....................Hmmmm!

Fred's mowing
21-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Referals can be great............sometimes.
Today I got a call, a referal from a guy who wanted me to Quote on 3 properties. After quoting, he scratched his chin & said I was substantially more than the previous guy.
He went on to say that the last guy removed the clippings free of charge etc, etc.
I politely told him, I could,nt give a rats who the last bloke was or what he charged, thats my price.
Some ppl assume that because u are a referal, u owe em something:i dunno:.
Sometimes referals can be iffy. If the new job goes belly up, u wonder if word will get back to the referee?
I felt commited because it was a referal, had it not been I proly would have walked. The vibe was,nt good, we,ll see how it goe,s.
Cheers Dean.

glassngrass
22-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Listen to your gut.

You've just set yourself up for "I knew I shouldn't have taken him on" later...

The Local Gardener
22-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Referals can be great............sometimes.
Today I got a call, a referal from a guy who wanted me to Quote on 3 properties. After quoting, he scratched his chin & said I was substantially more than the previous guy.
He went on to say that the last guy removed the clippings free of charge etc, etc.
I politely told him, I could,nt give a rats who the last bloke was or what he charged, thats my price.
Some ppl assume that because u are a referal, u owe em something:i dunno:.
Sometimes referals can be iffy. If the new job goes belly up, u wonder if word will get back to the referee?
I felt commited because it was a referal, had it not been I proly would have walked. The vibe was,nt good, we,ll see how it goe,s.
Cheers Dean.

that is absolute rubbish, referal my ass..... quote then go, if they want you they will call you

Bluey
22-07-2010, 06:29 PM
At the end of the day the referral is just your client saying to the other bloke use this fella cause I have found him good. If the new client expects a cheaper job then tell him your good not cheap.

Stripes
22-07-2010, 06:47 PM
It all comes down to the client that recommended you and how well they have sold you. If they say something along the lines of "they did a really great job. They aren't cheap but everything was done properly and it looks great", as opposed to "give this guy a call". I have had some shocking referrals including one of my worst ever clients, but have also had some very good referrals.

Andy B
23-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote it as you see it which I know you would of Dean.

Some of my referrals have asked about their prices compared to others. Of course rarely are two places the same so it's simple if you can discuss the things like number of trees and edges that need doing or access advantages, slope etc etc

I've had a few knock backs from referrals lately which is a shame but I try to keep my customers happy. I'm sure they like to be thanked for the referral by there friend/neighbour etc but if we don't get the new job so long as we thank our customer for the opportunity surely they will be grateful and gladly do it again.