PDA

View Full Version : Trailers for big decks.

aaron
23-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Just wondering for those of you running 72inch decks, how do you find towing the 7 foot trailer?

Ive got a 72inch outfront JD mower, and am drawing up the trailer I want, and its going to be big. Im just wondering how annoying it will be.

It will be the trailer I have to use every day even when I dont have the big mower on it, because I dont have a ute

andy056
23-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi Aaaron

We only have a 60 inch Walker, but we have made the trailer floor come out around the wheel arches so we have full width trailer floor in front and behind the wheel arches

You just have to have a long enough bit at the back for the deck

We have a 42inch walker up the front sideways with deck up and a walker super bee 60 inch reversed in the back with the deck down, the engine and wheels of the 60 inch mower fit in between the wheel arches of the dual axle trailer

Hope this makes sense

aaron
23-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Yep I get you. Thats an excelent idea. Thanks!

Mick
24-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Ive often thought of having the deck over the wheel arches (flat bed I suppose) to reduce over all trailer width.
If I were to do it again I would seriously consider a flat bed.
To give you an idea of what Im talking about...

http://www.rustytrailersonline.com/products%206x8%20trailers.html
http://deckoversnowmobiletrailers.blogspot.com/

SouthCoast Walker
25-07-2010, 01:34 AM
I have a similar set up to Andy, I have modified my side rail so I can park my 62" walker up the front with deck hanging over side, I then reverse the 42" walker up beside the first one. Both fit with deck folded down.

Have to explain in words, will take a pic next time I have them both on the trailer at same time.

I think my trailer is about 2.5mtrs wide including guards, can be a bit nerve racking on skinny bridges and narrow streets when dickheads drive right on the centre line.

aaron
25-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Pics would be awsome thanks

SouthCoast Walker
25-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Will see what I can do, not much call for both machines on the trailer at this time of year though.

tree beard
25-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi Aaron :)

I have a custom dual axle float!

very narrow great for access, tows like a dream and at speed. Doesnt load the ute up with too much weight. The only disadvantage with the deck over the wheels is the actual height.

Entry and exit angles are ok but traction to get back up if the grass is wet can be a bit hairy..

I have tried several ramps and am not completely happy yet but will keep at it. can put on several small ride ons or one monster.

SouthCoast Walker
26-07-2010, 12:03 AM

very narrow great for access, tows like a dream and at speed. Doesnt load the ute up with too much weight. The only disadvantage with the deck over the wheels is the actual height.

Entry and exit angles are ok but traction to get back up if the grass is wet can be a bit hairy..

I have tried several ramps and am not completely happy yet but will keep at it. can put on several small ride ons or one monster.

You don't use short ramps like that 2nd pic do you? That would be hairy alright.

tree beard
26-07-2010, 08:49 AM
yes actualy i do south coast.

I have much longer ramps, but they cant handle the weight of the Gianni ferrari. The short ramps can handle 10 ton and they feel like it too when u move them :)

still looking for a beter system. was thinking of trying to fabricate a bifold ramp but dont have the confidence to go about it at the moment

would love to see ur setup :)

SouthCoast Walker
26-07-2010, 04:56 PM
yes actualy i do south coast.

I have much longer ramps, but they cant handle the weight of the Gianni ferrari. The short ramps can handle 10 ton and they feel like it too when u move them :)

still looking for a beter system. was thinking of trying to fabricate a bifold ramp but dont have the confidence to go about it at the moment

would love to see ur setup :)

I am in the process of moving over from a ute and trailer to a small tip truck and I will use the trailer when needed, my trailer has full width ramps so is good for the walker configuration of centre wheel at rear, looking at some ramps for the truck now so I can get one of the mowers on it.

Search loading ramps on the trading post site, company called whipps have some nice ramps at reasonable money.

TassieXJ
26-07-2010, 07:39 PM
tree beard - have you thought of changing the end of the trailer, putting a angle on it, like a small ramp setup. Which will lower the height for the ramps.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj82/TassieXJ/breakdown20001.jpg

We did the same for my mates truck, l take a photo tomorrow and post it up.

tree beard
26-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi Tassie

Thats not a bad idea mate! Hadnt thought of doing a beaver tail...

Ill have a look into it in the morning. Could be a really do-able option and not to costly other than for time.

The Gianni is a bit of a heavy weight at around 1100kg so would have to do it right but yes! great idea

Would love to see ur mates truck pics

aaron
26-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

Traction shoulding be a problem, its 4wd with diff lock.

Have you tried coating your ramps with glass impregnated paint ?

tree beard
27-07-2010, 09:15 AM
No aaron Havent thought of that either will give it a go :) thanks....sorry about the hijack :)

aaron
27-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I dont see it as a highjack.

You should appologise for the hours I spent on you tube looking at Gianni ferrari mowers last night lol.

lenny
27-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Sorry a bit off topic again but how do you find the Gianni Ferrari treebeard.

tree beard
27-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Aaron...sorry about the time u wasted last night! Do not look on youtube again!!! you will loose another night :) there is heaps

Hi Lenny, my initial reaction is i love it! It is built like a tank! suprisingly manuverable for its size but not quite a zero turn. The finish cut is xlnt and the catcher holds about 7-900 litres (cant remember which) has a high lift dump of over 2 meters so great for the high-sided trailer great on diesel and very comfortable to ride. in fact if I could get a full day on it that would be as good as retirement :) gets along at a deceptively fast pace. Pretty good after sales service and parts availability too...not same day but same week

It does have limitations, Its a finishing mower so grass over 6 inches it chokes on! u have to use the hydraulic deck lift so u can get under to clear the chute (but everything is hydraulically driven ). It is heavy so if its been raining for a while u just cant mow with it despite its massive wheels, at well over a ton loaded with grass she leaves tracks/depressions/drainage trenches. Have been bogged once...u and a mate cant just push her out. She also isnt built (and im sure this will suprise u) for slopes. wont go straight up much more than about 20deg (u can read between the lines on that one). U can get all wheel drive and traction control...but for the money I would buy a house :)

would i buy one again...in a heart beat :)
is it my main mower...no! I have a diesel walker and a toro timecutter

hope that helps :):big grin

TassieXJ
27-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Heres the pictures of the ramp setup on truck

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj82/TassieXJ/Southern%20Mowing%20and%20Irrigation/DSCN0007.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj82/TassieXJ/Southern%20Mowing%20and%20Irrigation/DSCN0013.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj82/TassieXJ/Southern%20Mowing%20and%20Irrigation/DSCN0017.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj82/TassieXJ/Southern%20Mowing%20and%20Irrigation/DSCN0012.jpg

aaron
27-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Tree beard - Just curious why you got it rather than a JD/Kubota/etc front mower?

tree beard
27-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Hey Tassie

Thats great stuff and i appreciate the detail pics.

I think i could do the same but with a slightly greater angle...

Really good stuff

tree beard
27-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Tree beard - Just curious why you got it rather than a JD/Kubota/etc front mower?

Hey aaron :)

Like all things its personal :)

Have not heard glowing reports on the longevity of the JD so have steered away from them. They do have some great features tho and have seen quite a few.

Dont particularly like the Kubota mowers and they really are not in the same league...unless they have a model i havent seen yet...

The Gianni is really well built and commercial quality. its made to work day in day out for years. It is easy to work on and get in and around to maintain

Oh and Hey... I have my first Ferari and its red :) :)

aaron
27-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I might have to find a deeler and have a look. If it impressed you more than the JD's/Kubotas it must be special. What engines does it have in it?

tree beard
27-07-2010, 11:27 PM
As with most Diesel mowing plant equipment ...Kubota engine...its a 26 horse power

aaron
27-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Mines a yanmar, good motor. Im keen to try the Iseki with the Iseki 37turbo diesel. Still no prancing horse but!

tree beard
27-07-2010, 11:42 PM
yerrr :) TURBO...drool

I wish, Id probably break it tho :(

hey and dont forget the ferrari really is only for good jobs. Id never do rough stuff with her so its a bit limiting from that point of view

grillonz
29-07-2010, 05:14 PM
No dramas with a wide trailer. In my opinion better than a small one because you can see it behind you in your outer mirrors. If you have a side discharge deck you may need to allow extra width for the flap unless it can fold onto the deck completely. With that mower size trailer brakes make the stopping process a whole lot less stressful.
I towed a 72" front mount Iseki for a year on a beavertail trailer. Since the load height was so low I didn't even need ramps. Just popped my rear wheels onto the deck, it tilts & up I went.

Happy mowing
James

aaron
29-07-2010, 05:17 PM
How was the Iseki? New or old? Ive noticed the new Iseki's have such wonderfull little design features. Very smart.

"Grillonz" Does that mean you have a Grillo?

grillonz
30-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Aaron
The Iseki I had was an sf333. I had a 72" trimax flail deck on it. I had a demo on the Sf370 & found that they had kept all the good features of the earlier models & improved on them.

And yes I did have a Grillo. Only sold it because I went into bigger grass areas & was not using it.

Happy mowing
James

gcsmow
08-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I hope this doesn't appear too arrogant , but I've got a tilt tray truck so I don't need to frig about with trailers;frosty;298029812982

SouthCoast Walker
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I hope this doesn't appear too arrogant , but I've got a tilt tray truck so I don't need to frig about with trailers;frosty;298029812982

Is that a Victa 600 on the yellow trailer? Looks like a huge 4 stroke on it?

tree beard
08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi gcs mow,

your right it does sound arrogant to have a tilt tray :)

So Jealous lol...champion effort :)

Wish i had one lol!!!!!:shifty

gcsmow
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Is that a Victa 600 on the yellow trailer? Looks like a huge 4 stroke on it?
Yeah it's a Victa 600, it's a Honda 4 stroke about 4.5 HP or something like that. I actually picked that machine up at the dump, took it home put on some new handle bars, axle bushes, front wheels, new belt and bearings a new carby float bowl gasket and crank seal and got it going. The motor is a bit tired and it really needs something bigger like a 6.5HP minimum. I don't use it much, Any offers?

For the life of me I don't know why these things aren't self propelled then they would be a great machine.

gcsmow
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
The Iseki is for sale and the John Deere might be as well (if it goes to a good home!) because I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand low hour Kubota 50 HP tractor with a loader and 4 in 1 bucket.

SouthCoast Walker
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah it's a Victa 600, it's a Honda 4 stroke about 4.5 HP or something like that. I actually picked that machine up at the dump, took it home put on some new handle bars, axle bushes, front wheels, new belt and bearings a new carby float bowl gasket and crank seal and got it going. The motor is a bit tired and it really needs something bigger like a 6.5HP minimum. I don't use it much, Any offers?

For the life of me I don't know why these things aren't self propelled then they would be a great machine.

Looks much bigger than a 4.5hp in the photo. Sorry no offers I have 3 of them already.

Yeah would have been great if they bought out a self propelled model. Still great machines though, nice a light with the 2 stroke on them.