PDA

View Full Version : BBQ'd prawns

Stripes
24-07-2010, 07:18 PM
After about 10 years of trying to master cooking prawns on the barbie, I have finally nailed it.

Grab some jumbo green prawns. The bigger the better. Anything less than large isn't really worth the effort. I prefer to use fresh green prawns as the frozen prawns seem a bit mushy and are harder to use.

Cut their heads off, slice them down the underside from the tail to the end and remove the vein so they are butterflied.

In a small bowl make up the marinade using:
about half a cup Olive oil
3-4 tablespoons of honey
2-3 cloves of garlic-crushed
half a cup of sweet chilli sauce- or a little more if you like it hotter
a few squirts of lime juice
a tablespoon or two of mustard
a little pepper

This is enough for about a kilo of prawns. You can also use it on baby Octopus but I normally add a fair bit more sweet chili sauce on them.

Mix it up and pour it over the prawns and mix them through but try to have the fleshy side of the prawns facing up so the flavour can soak in. Leave it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

Crank up the barbie and have it scorching hot. Throw the prawns on flesh side down for about two minutes, flip them over and give them another minute or two. Pull the flesh straight out of the shell and enjoy!

geoff
24-07-2010, 09:07 PM
sounds nice dam nice..what about in the wok with chilli pods..seeds removed if u are a whimp ...add your great receipe sounds good stripe:dance:dance

Mick
24-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I must admit, that sounds really good and something I might even try myself! Never thought of leaving them in the shell (like a mini crayfish, bug or whatever.) Saves bloody well pealing the damned things green!
The platter looks awesome.

Andy B
24-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't know I might have to have another one to make sure they are alright... ;)

Stripes
24-07-2010, 10:10 PM
This is deadest one of the best things you will ever eat! We used to go to a seafood restaurant for special occasions and pay about $200 for a seafood platter. The prawns were done like this and it took me ages to workout how to get them this good. Since having kids it has become harder to get out so I have tried numerous ways to cook the prawns. A lot of disappointments but now I have it all sorted. These will just melt in your mouth! There is a bit of mucking around taking the vein out, but it is worth the hassle. You will workout how much of the ingredients to put in to make it taste just how you like it, like more garlic or chilli. The few people I have cooked them for just drool over them. My 6 year old didn't want a bar of them the first time he saw me preparing them, but he smashed about 5 of them and keeps asking when we are having them again.

I haven't quite got the Octopus nailed but its not bad. I can't seem to get it to chargrill before it goes rubbery. It seems like there is a 30 second window to get them cooked perfect before getting a bit rubbery. I have tried smashing it with the cooking spray from underneath to create a flame thrower but its still not quite right. Still tastes beautiful but I just want that chargrill flavour as well. I add a bit more honey as well to try and get the sugar to burn. I think the secret is to get really small baby octopus which can be hard to find.

Andy B
24-07-2010, 10:19 PM
My mouth is watering since I saw the first post.

Stripes
24-07-2010, 10:24 PM
My mouth is watering since I saw the first post.

haha sorry mate. The last pic was for my wife's birthday on Wednesday but I'm craving them again and its only been 3 days! I might go and grab some tomorrow and have them again. Finding the really big prawns can be a hassle but its much better if you have the huge ones. We get about 16-18 prawns in a kilo but I normally do one and a half kilos, and half a kilo of Octopus which is heaps.

courty
24-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Looks good Stripe's and thats coming from someone who's not a seafood fan:)
With the Occy,try marinating overnight in olive oil,lemon juice,garlic and chilli.Super hot grill then let it rest for 5 mins.

Mick
25-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Try slow cooking the Octo's (treat like a tough old stewing steak) until tender, marinate and then as Courty says, Super hot grill.

Stripes
25-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Sweet. Will give it a go.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
27-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Aaaaaarrrrrr Damn I'm hungry now:eat it:eat it:eat it:eat it:eat it

Stripes
27-12-2011, 08:23 AM
I worked out I have cooked 10 kilos of these in the last week and a half! I'm all prawned out but if you haven't tried this yet and you like prawns then do it! Everyone that has had them has raved about them, even people that aren't seafood fans. The only thing I do a little differently is to slice down the back of the prawn and remove the vein and it is heaps faster, but try and get prawns that are at least 20cm long or it's just a pita.

With the baby occy I have been cooking it twice and it has been heaps better. Bring some red wine and a little balsamic vinegar to the boil and then throw in your occy and turn it down to simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Then marinade it the same way I mentioned earlier in this thread and throw it back in the fridge for a few hours. Crank the barbie up and give it a minute or so on each side and you are done.

HPM
27-12-2011, 04:57 PM
If you marinate the occy in smushed up kiwi fruit for 10 to 30 mins it will soften it..then wash it off, cut it up and do what ever you were going to do with it...marinate/etc.

happymowin
27-12-2011, 08:29 PM
stripes you are an evil man!!

ive been craving a feed of prawns for about a year and keep wimping out on it

youve pushed me over the edge, mate, lol

cheers for the recipe; i would have just curried em (having a real good curry recipe from an indian friend of ours)

its in our recipe book for when and if; thanks again

Bluey
28-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Great recipe Stripes I will give it a go. Like you I am all prawned out this Xmas. Went up the river fishing on Boxing day and caught 10 good yellers. Now I am going to have to eat more fish

Stripes
28-12-2011, 08:26 AM
stripes you are an evil man!!

ive been craving a feed of prawns for about a year and keep wimping out on it

youve pushed me over the edge, mate, lol

cheers for the recipe; i would have just curried em (having a real good curry recipe from an indian friend of ours)

its in our recipe book for when and if; thanks again

You won't be disappointed!

If you marinate the occy in smushed up kiwi fruit for 10 to 30 mins it will soften it..then wash it off, cut it up and do what ever you were going to do with it...marinate/etc.

I will try that next time.

Great recipe Stripes I will give it a go. Like you I am all prawned out this Xmas. Went up the river fishing on Boxing day and caught 10 good yellers. Now I am going to have to eat more fish

I have been eating heaps of Barramundi on the barbie lately. I just sprinkle some of that All Purpose seasoning over it with some thin slices of lemon and then wrap it in foil and chuck it on the bbq for about 10 minutes. It is sensational and so easy. Any other ways of cooking fish on the bbq?

I am craving more of these prawns now. It's been about 2 days since I've had some...

Redeye
29-12-2011, 08:18 AM
yep kiwi fruit is the go