PDA

View Full Version : Legionnaires from potting mix

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
27-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I am glad to say that after getting my daughter to have a talk to her gardening teacher at school they have informed me that they now have dusk masks to wear when the kids are handling potting mix.
I was not very happy when I found out that in a class they call digging patch, all the kids were handling potting mix without masks.
Especially when 1 of my customers had just ended up in hospital with legionnaires after doing the very same thing.

Has anyone had any unfortunate experiences with this.

Andy B
28-07-2010, 10:16 AM
No but my daughters school is setting up a veggie patch etc soon, might donate masks as a bit of advertising. ;)

courty
28-07-2010, 11:02 AM
From memory it is only when you initially open the bags that it's contractable(is that a word :) ) but with kids involved I'd be taking no chances.

ian
28-07-2010, 05:58 PM
excerpts from a vic government site http:///www.health.vic.gov.au/ideas/bluebook/legionellosis

There is a greater risk of more severe legionellosis in persons aged 50 years and over, regular smokers, and the immunosuppressed. More than 70% of infections in Victoria occur in patients over 50 years of age. The disease is extremely rare in children.

To minimise the risk of infection through potting mix gardeners should be advised to:

* open the bag with care to avoid inhalation of airborne potting mix
* moisten the contents to avoid creating dust
* wear gloves
* wash hands after handling potting mix even if gloves have been worn.

The same measures are also advisable when handling other gardening material such as compost.

DavidS
29-07-2010, 06:22 AM
You also need to wear masks when spreading Mulch it can cause breathing problems to.