PDA

View Full Version : 4 Wheel Drive

4 Gardens
06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Just bought a Mazda BT 50 4WD Manual dual cab - bloody beautiful. My 10 year old Rodeo automatic struggled to reverse my trailer UP my drive, and could not do it in the wet.

I thought the 4WD would do the trick, but being a manual it is a bit of a challenge, as reverse gear is fairly fast.

Is it ok to engage Low Range Four Wheel drive to reverse the short distance up my pebblecrete driveway without damaging the gearbox etc???

The manual says that four wheel drive shouldnt be used on paved surfaces!

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

andy056
06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi 4 Gardens

Using low range on steep driveways etc will save your clutch from burning out

As far as I know it is ok for the gearbox, someone else might be able to confirm

Cheers Andy

GreenHaven
06-08-2010, 07:13 PM
you can if you have free wheeling hubs on your front wheels if you dont then no you cant it will cause transmission wind up and damage intenals. i have a 02 rodeo and i use low range to get up my steep drive way just saves the clutch a bit i make sure the hubs are in the free position and engage the low4 so the diff is moving but the drive isnt transfered to the wheels as the hub gears arnt meshed. i have seen people put the earlier model hubs off rodeo on the new models saves wear on the front diff and they can do the same as me

Cheers

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I remember i used to have to stick the ute in 4wd on concrete when taking the trailer with the scrap bananas out it would just spin if not in 4wd. Was a very old ute and was used in 4wd on concrete at least 3 times a week often 5. There are cars that are always in 4wd. I know it is not good for your tires driving around in 4wd. At the end of the day i would do it but the decision is yours cant see being a major drama especially being only a little way and no real speed.

Fred's mowing
06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Just bought a Mazda BT 50 4WD Manual dual cab - bloody beautiful. My 10 year old Rodeo automatic struggled to reverse my trailer UP my drive, and could not do it in the wet.

I thought the 4WD would do the trick, but being a manual it is a bit of a challenge, as reverse gear is fairly fast.

Is it ok to engage Low Range Four Wheel drive to reverse the short distance up my pebblecrete driveway without damaging the gearbox etc???

Should be fine, just put it into 4wd low range & dont lock the hubs.
Cheers Dean.

4 Gardens
07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. My BT50 has auto locking hubs, so leaving them unlocked is not an option. I have checked out 4WD monthly forum and it is fairlysimple to install a switch to prevent the front wheels being engaged, so effectively getting low range 2wd.
I will call mazda on monday , costs about $150 to do. In the meantime I have removed the plug so the front wheels will not engage when 4wd is selected.

Mick
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Why dont you reverse down the drive?

SouthCoast Walker
07-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Is the drive way straight or curved? If straight there wont be a problem having the front hubs engaged.

4 Gardens
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes the drive is pretty straight and can line it up from road on the same angle.

As for reversing down drive, I live on High side of the street and need to get my trailer back up into gararge. At the top of drive before garage there is still a slope that is too dangerous to unhitch.

GreenHaven
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
find out if the earlier model bravos will fit and find some from a wrecker just clean em up and re grease them with whell bearing grease pretty simple job mazda will charge alot for brand spanking new ones

gcsmow
08-08-2010, 10:41 PM

.That shouldn't be a problem. The only way you will do damage is if you try to drive at 80kph on bitumen/concrete in low range. Doing what you are doing should be fine and as someone else said you will save the clutch and your tyres.

gcsmow
08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh and another thing, 4WD's don't like turning really sharp corners while in low 4WD especially on a paved surface, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

Wattle GC
13-08-2010, 01:27 PM
The main reason why you should not use 4wd on paved surfaces is that when your frount hubs are locked (and in most 4WD's these days its automatic when you select 4WD) this locks the axle to the frount diff and if there is no slippage on the surface you can wind up the axles till it literally locks the frount diff..

Old Suzuki Sierras used to suffer with this problem bad and you had to jack up the frount of the vehicle and let the axles spin off otherwise the car would stop or break something