PDA

View Full Version : Which Ute to buy

Steve R
14-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Gday All,
I am slowly gwtting things organised for my business to start in about 4 weeks. I still need a ute and i was after some advice. My budget is only about 5 grand. I was think of a Rodeo but I have heard they can be a bit thirsty. A few mates have said anything Japanese would be fine. Also are the Hilux autos any good for towing trailers around. It won't be a big trailer to start with.
Thanks for any input.
Steve.

m287j
14-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I have owned several Rodeo's, a 90, 94 and 97 model, all good, not too thirsty. I have only had manual Rodeo's though, much prefer a manual when towing.
Very reliable and minimal dramas with them.
For $5,000 you should be able to buy a decent model prior to the 98 face lift.

63impala
15-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I paid 5600 for a 2000 hilux workmate 2.0l good power for my huge tralier a good to go this is my second hilux cant kill them bulit tuff to tow stuff...

Redeye
15-08-2010, 12:32 PM
look around for mazda bravos' - great units

4 Gardens
15-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I just traded my 2000 model rodeo V6 Petrol. It used 15L per 100km around town towing my 7*4 trailer. My BT50 diesel uses 10L per 100km. The Rodeo was reliable and went well though.

Wggc
15-08-2010, 10:41 PM
got a toyota dc ute 2001 , 2.7 with high canopy , been a great rig so far

Steve R
17-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like a lot of it comes down to personal preferance. I will just keep an eye out for a good condition ute at the right price. By the way, can you fit a med size brushcutter in the back of a twin cab ute, say a hilux?

Thanks
Steve.

Andy B
17-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like a lot of it comes down to personal preferance. I will just keep an eye out for a good condition ute at the right price. By the way, can you fit a med size brushcutter in the back of a twin cab ute, say a hilux?

Thanks
Steve.

It'll depend on the tray, measure your brushy (probably be about 5 foot) and keep that in mind. ;)

Stripes
17-08-2010, 05:51 PM
By the way, can you fit a med size brushcutter in the back of a twin cab ute, say a hilux?

Thanks
Steve.

I have got a Hilux with the tub and my big 48cc fits in on an angle long ways. They should all fit across ways on a tray on a very slight angle and should have no dramas long ways unless it is one of those trays that is shorter than standard.

Wggc
17-08-2010, 08:46 PM
both mine fit in ok but one is a multi tool :big grin:big grin:big grin:big grin

chatza
17-08-2010, 09:32 PM
This is what id love (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-F350-TIP-TRUCK-1984-HEAVY-DUTY-TRAY-/140439568454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Trucks_Commercial_Vehicles&hash=item20b2d9c046#ht_500wt_1154)

Ford f350 with tipper big tray no trailer perfect

geoff
17-08-2010, 09:35 PM
This is what id love (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-F350-TIP-TRUCK-1984-HEAVY-DUTY-TRAY-/140439568454?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Trucks_Commercial_Vehicles&hash=item20b2d9c046#ht_500wt_1154)

Ford f350 with tipper big tray no trailer perfect

yeah me too but if i tipped at the tip i would loose my mowers:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Arfa Brayne
21-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Dyna, Delta, Cabstar, NKR250 - all cabover trucks, all available in dualcab, all have 2 tonne+ payload. Fitted with tipper and hungry boards. A truck crane is handy too - stumps, ride-on, bulky items like statues, landscaping rocks, etc.
An old one is about $5k - $10k with 5-10 good years still in it.
Room for tools in back seat, ride-on or cuttings (4-5 cubic metres) in tray, NO TRAILER.
Easy to park, easy to unload, robust and reliable (unless you get a Canter) Park right at the job instead of 2 blocks away where you have to find room for the ute and trailer.

Arfa Brayne
21-08-2010, 11:10 PM
yeah me too but if i tipped at the tip i would loose my mowers:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mowers sit under the back of the tray. Take them on and off in less then 5 seconds each with no lifting and no ramps.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/expattroll/delica%20mods/Honda%20216%20Mods/DSCF1823.jpg

kevtan
19-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Has anyone had any feedback of bought the new Great Wall Ute ?

Fred's mowing
19-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Mowers sit under the back of the tray. Take them on and off in less then 5 seconds each with no lifting and no ramps.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/expattroll/delica%20mods/Honda%20216%20Mods/DSCF1823.jpg

Verrrrry interesting arfa!
Was going to make up a mower box 4 the tray of my truck, but that sure looks the goods.
Did u fabricate it yourself? Are there any disadvantages? Does it worry u & has it posed any probs with the handles sticking a fair way out the back? And the big one.............. have u checked out the legalities?
If u could, Id really appreciate some more pics from different angles, at your leisure, of course.
Cheers Dean.

Redeye
20-09-2010, 09:07 PM
one thing about the Great Wall utes is don't be in one in an accident - very poor ratings

South East Mowing
20-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Verrrrry interesting arfa!
Was going to make up a mower box 4 the tray of my truck, but that sure looks the goods.
Did u fabricate it yourself? Are there any disadvantages? Does it worry u & has it posed any probs with the handles sticking a fair way out the back? And the big one.............. have u checked out the legalities?
If u could, Id really appreciate some more pics from different angles, at your leisure, of course.
Cheers Dean.

Ive been thinking about that also for a while, just havnt got around to asking anyone to quote me!!
Would be interested arfa!!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Like your way of thinking Alfa but wouldn't like to get hit from behind. Then again a couple of mowers are cheaper to replace than a normal vehicle. I would pity the car that runs into the back of that.

edbeek
30-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Long post coming...

Ok hopefully sometime this season I am going to have to get myself a larger wide area mower. Thinking of a 60"ZTR or maybe a used 72" out front that I think might become available soon locally.
To do this, I am going to need a vehicle and trailer upgrade.
I've designed the trailer to accommodate either of these mowers and my present 44"ztr (similar to Holdenhead's trailer but about 500mm longer). The trailer plus the 2 mowers should come in at just under the 2T(2 ZTRs much less).

My present vehicle 98 Triton 4wd diesel won't cut it for power or GCM to pull this load, so seems like I'm looking at this style of ute from '07 onwards to get the required GCM.

The new vehicle will be my only vehicle, so needs to have some degree of comfort for traveling long distances empty.

I've ruled out:
Landcruiser Patrol, F truck:- too rough for traveling, fuel economy, out of my budget
Dyna, canter etc- too rough for travelling. tray space
Holden/Ford Ute- GCM not adequate (although the 4 door Crewman will do it I think)

So back to the 2 door 1 tonners Triton, Navara, DMax, Mazda, Hilux, Colorado or Ranger.

As I haven't driven any of these vehicles made in the modern era, other than Landcruisers and Hilux), just after peoples experiences with any of them insofar as towing ability.

2WD or 4WD doesn't matter unless it affects the GCM rating. I'm leaning towards a diesel for fuel economy and torque pulling a load.

Redlandsguy
30-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Ed, having some experience within the industry my view is that most modern vehicles are well built and work well. The difference tends to be in perception, take Toyota for instance, everyone seems to think they are the best cars. I know for sure that isn't always the case. Within the industry they was a belief that Nissan were the best engineered cars, Mazda the best designed and Toyota the best marketed. What it will come down too is your budget and if you are buying new or second hand. New, a diesel 4x4 ute costs more but has a long life and holds it's value much better, but any ute that is even reasonably maintained holds it's value well. If you are looking at the bigger cars like Patrol and Cruiser I would be looking for rear coil springs if possible in the rear for the comfort, if you drive a coil and leaf sprung ute, unloaded any distance you will notice a significant difference and never get in a leaf sprung ute again unless it has a big load on the back.

If looks like you are buying second hand so will work that way. Bear in mind that because Mitsubishi dealers always discount their product because of their own and the publics perception of their cars, their used vehicles are generally a lot cheaper then the other Jap models. They do make a good vehicle and I wouldn't put them aside. I am very partial to the Nissan product and not so much with the Ford or the Colorado but they still work and have no experience with the Mazda. The D-Max looks the goods but I haven't driven one and the Hi Lux is a good vehicle but tend to be significantly dearer then the others for something that isn't neccessarily a better ute. For me I would probably look for a Triton, then a Navara and then a Hi Lux. Dollars are the real driver here as you will get a later model Triton for the same dollars as an older model of the other two although I would prefer the Nissan with similar specs but if a few more $'s isn't a worry, I would buy it first, the Hilux are good trucks but you will generally get a later model or higher speced or both vehicle from the other two for the same dollars and I don't really believe that they are that much better, especially if you are goind to drive this car for an extended period. The only thing that they do have better is usually a better resale value.

Andy B
30-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Doh, wrong thread...

edbeek
30-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks RLG. I used to have a Patrol coil spring and I think that would suit me now for comfort & power, but most likely out of my budget.

I've got to try convince myself that a little tonner is capable of doing the job even though the specs say they will. I'm leaning towards the Triton because of the good run I have had with mine(apart from the gearbox), but pulling 2T is a different matter. I've driven older models of the other breeds over the years too, but I still can't see how they improved them enough to handle the job.
I agree with you about overpriced Toyotas.

Redlandsguy
30-08-2011, 08:04 PM
You can always look at Dyna or similar as the work truck. You would need to have something else as your drive car but it will pull the gear and give extra carrying capacity. You could even go with a smaller trailer and load one of the mowers onto the truck. There are a stack of different trucks around that will do this. They won't run at highway speeds all day but certainly will do the job as a work truck.

DavidS
30-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Edbeek, I would be looking at a Ford Ranger. All the forestry vehicles, Country energy and Essential energy are running Rangers, they will tow 2t no worries and still will get you around in comfort with out having to have deep pockets to run.

Fred's mowing
30-08-2011, 09:34 PM
You can always look at Dyna or similar as the work truck. You would need to have something else as your drive car but it will pull the gear and give extra carrying capacity. You could even go with a smaller trailer and load one of the mowers onto the truck. There are a stack of different trucks around that will do this. They won't run at highway speeds all day but certainly will do the job as a work truck.
I agree, Chris B was looking into this, I dont know how he went?
I would disagree though with not running at highway speeds all day, good ones will.
Cheers Fred.

imoww
30-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I agree with this.... I have a Rodeo 91 model. Manual. twin cab. Honda brushy straight shaft is F7ck long. It fits diagnaly resting its motor between the 2 petrol cans in a milk create.

imoww
30-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Does anyone fold their mowers up for transport these days?

edbeek
01-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Will think about things for a bit and see how things go for a month or 2. First priority is to get a full schedule of jobs with the gear I've got now.
Placed my season's first ad in the paper on Tuesday and got 2 new acreage jobs and a resi from it already and a few regulars are coming online again next week and the mountain mowing will start the week after. Almost time to give up my casual winter jobs. :)

PaulG
01-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Saw a near new Colorado single cab with alloy tipper tray for sale here today. Can grab some details if you're interested. Can't recall though if it was a fourby or 2WD.

edbeek
02-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks Paul, but i think I'll need some time to convince myself about the smaller 1 tonners. Too many disappointing experiences with the older models power wise that stick in my memory that won't go away lol.(even the older turbo/intercooled)

Will see how the early part of the season goes and decide what gear I will actually need. Perhaps I won't ever need to transport the 2 riders at the same time.

Chris B
13-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree, Chris B was looking into this, I dont know how he went?
I would disagree though with not running at highway speeds all day, good ones will.
Cheers Fred.

Good! picked up an Isuzu 200 trade pack about 4 months ago. In between jobs we are slowly building up the back with sides / toolboxes etc. Gonna have heaps of storage space for waste and tools with roller doors over the toolboxes.
Hopefully ready before spring really starts to kick in!

Can definitely go highway speeds .. good thing as a big turbo diesel is that it doesn't seem to notice the weight in the back - in fact actually rides smoother

Fred's mowing
14-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Any pics?
Cheers Fred.

Chris B
14-09-2011, 10:17 PM
the first is when we got it.. second is where we are up to now.. covering sides / toolboxes with sheet metal. rear gates are done also. need to order and install roller doors, make shelves for toolbox then paint.

Fred's mowing
14-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks great!
R u going to seperate the tray, 1/2 tools, 1/2 rubbish?
Cheers Fred.

Chris B
14-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Looks great!
R u going to seperate the tray, 1/2 tools, 1/2 rubbish?
Cheers Fred.
Yep going to have toolboxes along the whole passenger side with spring assisted roller doors
and the rest is all waste ... i think it works out to about 7-8 m3! so definitely less tip runs for us.. $95 a load at the green centre keilor park drv compared to $45 for our ute with a quarter of the waste

PaulG
15-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow. That is no ordinary ute! I'd love to have something like that but I'd probably be looking at the smaller mid-1990s models for under $10k.

Chris B
17-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow. That is no ordinary ute! I'd love to have something like that but I'd probably be looking at the smaller mid-1990s models for under $10k.
Yeh go for it!. they are built tough as and go forever

Fred's mowing
17-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Hey Chris, I built my box across the tray.
It has 3 different levels.
The bottom 4 the mower.
The middle 4 whippies & multi tools.
The top 4 various stuff.
I may still build another lenghth ways.
It would be much easier accessing longer tools etc.
I know it sounds trivial but, day after day after day it adds up.
Try & get the design right the first time to suit your needs.
Overall Im still very happy with it & also not pulling a trailer but, it could have been even better.
Cheers Fred.

Chris B
17-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Any pics? Having trouble visualising !
We are building ours pretty much like our ute that there is a pic on here somewhere.. but a bigger version
We have passed the point of no return for the overall design but havent worked out shelves or anything like that yet so still room to move

Do you have to fold your mower handles down? also do you find it difficult to reach stuff in the middle of the toolbox?
All i know is that im happy to go trailer-less but still always have the option to tow if the need arises

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-09-2011, 01:37 AM

how are they attached there? looks like a neat idea but you wouldnt want the back end to bottom out.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
18-09-2011, 09:27 AM

I have to fold the handles of mine down to put them in the trailer the guy at the sthill shop carries on all the time its bad for the cables you just need to make sure there pushed to the side away from the clamps. but ive been doing it for two years you see the cables have little bends in them but they still work fine.

imoww
18-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Im getting ready to upgrade to a newer ute. The good ol' Holden Rodeo 1991 model is chewing up too much juice compared to the newer utes these days.
Im looking at a dual cab but not sure which one.
90% of my jobs, i dont need the trailer. So the dual cab with the lockable canopy would be ideal.
Any ideas??? The missus said we should trade the Rodeo in on a new ute. Im thinking of a Hilux 2007 model...

Fred's mowing
18-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Any pics? Having trouble visualising !
We are building ours pretty much like our ute that there is a pic on here somewhere.. but a bigger version
We have passed the point of no return for the overall design but havent worked out shelves or anything like that yet so still room to move

Do you have to fold your mower handles down? also do you find it difficult to reach stuff in the middle of the toolbox?
All i know is that im happy to go trailer-less but still always have the option to tow if the need arises

Chris, I'll try & get some pics up within a few days.
We dont have to fold the mower handle down & there's nothing really to reach in the middle of the tool box, we have access from both ends.
Its just the longer stuff usually gets slid out from the roadside as the footpath side has the mower ramp, making access to the longer tools more awkward.
Far better if they were housed in a north/south toolbox on the footpath side.
Im thinking 300 deep x 2 shelves 300 high x2000 long. That would hold plenty yet only take up .36m3 in space
Cheers Fred.

RSM-Gazza
18-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Im getting ready to upgrade to a newer ute. The good ol' Holden Rodeo 1991 model is chewing up too much juice compared to the newer utes these days.
Im looking at a dual cab but not sure which one.
90% of my jobs, i dont need the trailer. So the dual cab with the lockable canopy would be ideal.
Any ideas??? The missus said we should trade the Rodeo in on a new ute. Im thinking of a Hilux 2007 model...

Re the Hilux,
Yep they work good and chug along magically whilst tow my big tandem rig with total ease.

Mine was purchased in July 2010 being a late 2006 model from a respectable/reliable local Toyota dealer for $14,000 drive away with a new tray and Toyota tow bar. It's my lounge room and my buddy. Love it.

pictured prior to door sign writting and window tinting applied.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/workmate.JPG

watlebird mowing
20-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I just picked up a 2007 Ford ranger twin cab, 3lt turbo, havn't done a days work with it yet but i must be better than the falcon.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-09-2011, 05:39 PM

I fold mine one mower shop was carying on its no good for your cables but ive been doing it for 2 years and not had cables have problems cause they where folded i try and make sure they dont catch on the latch but otherwise there fine seem to have a little bend in them but work fine.

happymowin
21-09-2011, 07:29 PM
i have folded mine since day one, had the honda for 2 and a bit years now?

not replaced a cable yet, just gotta watch where ya fold the cables they fold nice, and dont catch on nothing.

imoww
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Anyone know how to remove a canopy on a 1991 holden rodeo?
I had to replace my ute and need to transfer the old canopy to the new ute.

PaulG
12-10-2011, 03:12 PM
What year model is the new ute? If it's new-new there's little chance the canopy will fit.

Generally the older canopies (Flexiglass etc) are just held on by about 4 bolts. These can be a clamp-down arrangement or some bolt through the lip on the tub. There's probably also an adhesive seal between canopy and tub that might give a bit of resistance too.

4 Gardens
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Anyone know how to remove a canopy on a 1991 holden rodeo?
I had to replace my ute and need to transfer the old canopy to the new ute.

I think you will find 4 bolts (vertical) attaching the canopy to a bracket. just undo them and it should lift off
The brackets are then bolted horizontally to the ute tub.
There is normally a rubber strip in between the canopy and car body to keep out water/dust etc or sometimes silicon.

i put one on my old rodeo without any instructions and it worked ok - just should have put a rubber strip in but instead just put silicon around edges to keep out water

Neil&family
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I have just taken my challenge canopy off my Hilux and here is a little tip. If it has a rubber boot that attaches to the cab of the ute instead of having its own window, Use petrolium jelly as a seal. The rubber boot has rubbed through the paint to bare metal on mine and needs repair.

PhilG
12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I just picked up a 2007 Ford ranger twin cab, 3lt turbo, havn't done a days work with it yet but i must be better than the falcon.

How is the Ranger going? My son bought a new 2010 model back in February. It is a great little truck, got heaps of grunt. I love driving it, if it is out front when I need to go somewhere I jump in it. Sure you will be happy with it.

edbeek
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I just did a deal tonight to buy a 2005 Hilux 4wd 3L td from a friend and pension off my Triton.

Not my first choice of brand, but I know the owner has looked after it so better the devil you know....

First a honda mower and now a Rollux... dementia must be setting in already :)

imoww
15-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys.
I managed to remove the canopy. ( Rodeo 1991 model) 4 bolts and bloody silicone....
The new Rodeo is a 1992 model in allot better condition.
They are the same sized rear so it should just bolt on.

Matt the mower man
16-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Phew great to hear the Rodeos arnt to bad of a run around.
My Diesel Triton was absolutely totalled in a smash last week it was such a good old girl (90model single cab with drop tray) and saved my life as I was hit stationary in the drivers side at 110, all I have is a broken foot its unbelievable.
The Mrs just went out and purchased a 89 Holden Rodeo 5spd low kms twin cab for $2,500 (no roadworthy) and it has an upgraded tub,very well looked after and a nice bullbar on it, had to get a twin cab so she can get the kids to school and use it for the business at the same time. Will be interesting seeing what it needs Wednesday for a rw.

imoww
16-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Phew great to hear the Rodeos arnt to bad of a run around.
My Diesel Triton was absolutely totalled in a smash last week it was such a good old girl (90model single cab with drop tray) and saved my life as I was hit stationary in the drivers side at 110, all I have is a broken foot its unbelievable.
The Mrs just went out and purchased a 89 Holden Rodeo 5spd low kms twin cab for $2,500 (no roadworthy) and it has an upgraded tub,very well looked after and a nice bullbar on it, had to get a twin cab so she can get the kids to school and use it for the business at the same time. Will be interesting seeing what it needs Wednesday for a rw.
Yeah the Rodeos are pretty strong and reliable. The one i just got is actually a late 1993 model. Diesel manual dual cab. I too, have to drop and pic up the kids, so the dual cab is perfect. Other than the front breaks needing machined, its in great nick.
And has Air con with tinted windows. The guy i bought it off was a lanscape gardener. Still had wood chip in the back tub.
Now Ive bolted the canopy on with silicone around the rim. It looks great. Now back to work.

edbeek
23-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Picked up my new ute last night. The old owner didn't go to too much trouble polishing it up, but it came up pretty tidy.

I'm gunna miss my Triton. :)

NLALM
23-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Looks the goods mate you won't regret going with the toyota

watlebird mowing
23-10-2011, 11:58 AM
How is the Ranger going? My son bought a new 2010 model back in February. It is a great little truck, got heaps of grunt. I love driving it, if it is out front when I need to go somewhere I jump in it. Sure you will be happy with it.
Sorry mate must of missed this post, I'm loving the ranger, pulls like a D10 dozer, good on fuel comfy enough, its a bit squashy in the back seats but thats the kids problem lol, all in all I bloody love it mate!

Stripes
24-10-2011, 06:39 PM
the first is when we got it.. second is where we are up to now.. covering sides / toolboxes with sheet metal. rear gates are done also. need to order and install roller doors, make shelves for toolbox then paint.

I am looking at getting either the Isuzu NNR 200, Hino 300 or Fuso Canter3.5. I need a crew cab for dropping off the kids and stuff like that but I am dying to upgrade and have more room to put things. I will hopefully have some time on the weekend to go and check them out and get prices on them and see which is best for me. I love my hilux but it's just too small for me. The Mrs can't wait to get her hands back on it though.

Back to Basics
24-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Stripes I have a good friend that manages a truck business. Zupps trucks in Brisbane. He may be able to hook a deal up for you. If you have a look at their gear and something interests you perhaps I can call him and see what can be done!

Stripes
25-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Stripes I have a good friend that manages a truck business. Zupps trucks in Brisbane. He may be able to hook a deal up for you. If you have a look at their gear and something interests you perhaps I can call him and see what can be done!

Thanks mate. I just had a look on their website through trucksales but there isn't anything that suits me at the moment.
Thanks anyway!

Chris B
02-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I am looking at getting either the Isuzu NNR 200, Hino 300 or Fuso Canter3.5. I need a crew cab for dropping off the kids and stuff like that but I am dying to upgrade and have more room to put things. I will hopefully have some time on the weekend to go and check them out and get prices on them and see which is best for me. I love my hilux but it's just too small for me. The Mrs can't wait to get her hands back on it though.

did you end up having a look at them?
the isuzu is awesome.. they are more popular than the others and i like the look of them better plus seem to have nicer interiors but im sure they are all good.
we have the amt model .. so over changing gears in a work vehicle .. plus since i knew how often you change gears on a truck , the amt was a no brainer... slower than a car auto but really relaxing to drive once you get used to it.. the 2.7 hilux really needs to be pushed to get goin so much less relaxing lol

good thing about the nnr is thats its not too wide for a truck as well so u will still be able to access tight spots
we have the npr so is a bit wide but wanted the extra space and power.. used to it now
would be interested to know what the fuel consumption is on the nnr as it has a smaller engine

great feeling been so high up cruising around with so much space inside also
we haven't started using it for work yet but did a massive tree job and completely filled it jam packed, stumps and all ... barely sagged down and could hardly notice the weight when driving except that is felt smoother as there was weight holding the back down. feels much safer as well with good brakes / abs etc and no trailer.

Stripes
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I actually just put a deposit down this morning on a Dual cab Volkswagen Transporter cab chassis.
http://www.volkswagen-commercial.com.au/au/en/models/transporter/Variants/transporter_single.html
I looked at the others but the Transporter suited me more. The things I carry are bulky but light, so I didn't need something that carried a lot of weight, just more room. The Transporter tray will be 1800 x 2550mm which is awesome considering it is a dual cab and will only be 500mm longer than my current hilux that is 1500x1500mm. I am also getting the trundle tray to put all my fittings and parts in so the tray will just have my trencher and rolls of pipe on it. It will also be a 6 seater ( i have got 4 kids) so we can all go in it if need be. The only bummer is they are custom made and I have to wait 4-5 months for it to come.

I almost bought the Fuso dual-narrow cab but it is more truck like and would be about the same tray space as the Transporter without all the comforts. It was 59k, the Transporter will be 54k with a few options I am getting. The Transporter has got some toe being a twin turbo Diesel and only uses 8.1L per 100km's with 132kws and 400Nm or Torque. Also has the 3 point seat belts in the back for my kids when I have to drop them and pick them up from school where the trucks only have the lap sash belts.

Chris B
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
I actually just put a deposit down this morning on a Dual cab Volkswagen Transporter cab chassis.
http://www.volkswagen-commercial.com.au/au/en/models/transporter/Variants/transporter_single.html
I looked at the others but the Transporter suited me more. The things I carry are bulky but light, so I didn't need something that carried a lot of weight, just more room. The Transporter tray will be 1800 x 2550mm which is awesome considering it is a dual cab and will only be 500mm longer than my current hilux that is 1500x1500mm. I am also getting the trundle tray to put all my fittings and parts in so the tray will just have my trencher and rolls of pipe on it. It will also be a 6 seater ( i have got 4 kids) so we can all go in it if need be. The only bummer is they are custom made and I have to wait 4-5 months for it to come.

I almost bought the Fuso dual-narrow cab but it is more truck like and would be about the same tray space as the Transporter without all the comforts. It was 59k, the Transporter will be 54k with a few options I am getting. The Transporter has got some toe being a twin turbo Diesel and only uses 8.1L per 100km's with 132kws and 400Nm or Torque. Also has the 3 point seat belts in the back for my kids when I have to drop them and pick them up from school where the trucks only have the lap sash belts.

ahh good choice, you must be spewing you have to wait so long lol!
i looked at them too but went with truck due to weight carrying ability.
my mate recently purchased a transporter van with that same engine... its unbelievably fast for a van! and good on diesel.. he has a massive carpet cleaning machine in the back (well over 500kg) and it still goes well and he gets around 10lt per 100 with brisk driving.

did you get the dsg auto?

Stripes
03-12-2011, 06:00 AM
ahh good choice, you must be spewing you have to wait so long lol!
i looked at them too but went with truck due to weight carrying ability.
my mate recently purchased a transporter van with that same engine... its unbelievably fast for a van! and good on diesel.. he has a massive carpet cleaning machine in the back (well over 500kg) and it still goes well and he gets around 10lt per 100 with brisk driving.

did you get the dsg auto?

Yeah I'm spewing about the wait!

I went for the 6 speed manual. Will probably regret it when I'm sitting in traffic but I love my manuals.

I have gone for the silver which should look best with my logo. Also got the alloy wheels and colour coded bumper.

MikeD who posts on here has a van and he speaks very highly of it, so it should be good once it comes in.... in May next year. :(

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I am picking up my new navara dual cab st-r tomorrow. Only problem is the navara st they gave me last week as a loner has grown on me. I don't want to give it back.:(

Fred's mowing
06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Great stuff Glenn, Im interested in the latest Navara. Is it the one with 470nm of torque?
Cheers Fred.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Great stuff Glenn, Im interested in the latest Navara. Is it the one with 470nm of torque?
Cheers Fred.

No mine will hav 304@2000rpm you might be thinking the st or st-x. The st-r has 98kw. St has 128kw. St-x I'm not too sure about. Could be the same as the st but really not sure.

Andy B
07-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I am picking up my new navara dual cab st-r tomorrow. Only problem is the navara st they gave me last week as a loner has grown on me. I don't want to give it back.:(

Not going to miss the wagon? or the fuel smells in the cabin? :)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
08-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Not going to miss the wagon? or the fuel smells in the cabin? :)

Mate was meant to pck it up yesterday but got a call saying it wasn't ready so got it today. Have to say very happy to have it but after driving the st around for a week makes it a little bit disapointing. Seems like a mini compared to the st.

Scooby Steve
21-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Anyone running the modern diesel engines in there cars/trucks? Whats your opinion on them and r they reliable? Servicing costs how do they compare to a petrol car/truck?

I do some work for a Diesel mechanic who has told me that the injectors need replacing at around the 100,000 km mark for a lot of the modern diesel engines (something about the crap diesel with have here) is that something others have heard as well?

While i'm asking lots of questions has anyone tried the new Ford Ranger?

Redeye
21-01-2012, 08:24 PM
the mazda's are the best atm, if ford are still rebadged mazda you couldn't go wrong

Scooby Steve
22-01-2012, 07:20 AM
the mazda's are the best atm, if ford are still rebadged mazda you couldn't go wrong

Yeah they went in with Mazda to build the Ranger looks a nice ute there was a fair amount of local input when it was being designed so could work well here.

PhilG
22-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I am running a 2007 Holden Rodeo 4WD. Have had it from new and it has done 105000. Has been great. If I was buying a new vehicle now it would be the new Ford Ranger. My son has a 2010 Ranger, it is a great vehicle and from what I can see the new one is even better.

Stripes
14-04-2012, 08:39 PM

I picked up my Transporter this morning. It's bigger than I thought. Volkswagen made a mistake with the order and it came with a factory tray. They said I can have it taken off and organise the one I wanted, but after looking at it I thought it would be ok so I bought it instead. It's 1950mm wide by 2150mm long and has 400mm high sides, so will be good to carry heaps of mulch and rubbish, and also will give me larger font for my signs. I just have to gt the trundle draw put on when I get some spare cash. I have to get used to the clutch too. I stalled it twice and I'm scared to take it near a carpark yet because it is so big! I have to get used to judging it. My Hilux looks tiny next to it.

PaulG
14-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Lucky duck. Got any pics!!!

GardenGuy
14-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I picked up my Transporter this morning...

Well done, mate! Looking forward to seeing your new ride, with its advertising livery, on the road real soon.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Lawn Mowing Professionals
14-04-2012, 08:55 PM
They do look big on there website... I can't say ive seen many on the road, but they look like a great setup!

Simmo.

Stripes
14-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Cheers.

Here it is. A few pics from the dealer last week and then one to see the difference next to the Hilux.
Can't wait to get my signs done. It will be like the pic in my sig but also with the website on it.

Stripes
14-04-2012, 09:01 PM
They do look big on there website... I can't say ive seen many on the road, but they look like a great setup!

Simmo.

It really is a huge difference from the Hilux. I will take a better pic tomorrow to show the difference inside and out!

Also, under the backseat is a huge storage area. I can now put my locating tools, my drills, screws and lots of other things under there out of site and out of the way. They used to be on the floor in the back of my hilux always in the way. Not anymore!

PaulG
14-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Very nice. Is there a kit that bolts on for headboard & ladder racks? The tray isn't as high off teh ground as I thought it might be either which is a good thing.

Stripes
14-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Very nice. Is there a kit that bolts on for headboard & ladder racks? The tray isn't as high off teh ground as I thought it might be either which is a good thing.

I dont think so. This is the "euro" style apparently and it looks weird like that without the headboard, but I might get something made up later on. First thing once I have the money is the trundle draw for all my fittings and sprinklers, valves etc. I also have to remove those rear headrests. It blocks all the vision through the window. My kids don't need head rests yet.

Another weird thing- the back windows dont open. It's just a fixed panel of glass.

GardenGuy
29-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm considering getting rid of the fourby, which has served well so far, in favour of a ute or pickup. It would be nice to put the longest tools straight into the ride without angling them.

I'd love to go Stripes' path, but am thinking to keep the budget leaner and get something used until later on when I have perfected an understanding of what my clients' demands will need.

Any recommendations in the under ten grand range? There seem to be a lot of Fords and Holdens around, and some really high km Yodas.

I sort of like the idea of going a little bit retro with an F-100 or similar, but my most distant customers are up to 30 km away and fuel expense being what it is... well, you get the idea. A bit of 4WD capability would make me happier as the Watagans beckon on days off... :)

Hope to hear your ideas.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

Scooby Steve
11-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Dont know if anyone is running a Hilux with this engine but it may pay to be on the look out for this potential problem. It was mentioned in a write up about Hiluxes in our main paper today "A potentially serious problem has come to light affecting the 1KD-FTV diesel engine used in the Hilux (and Prado) relating to the fuel injector seals. The seals can leak, letting blow-by gases enter the engine oil stream, which can turn the oil to carbon and eventually clog the oil pick-up in the sump, in some cases starving the engine of oil. The worst case scenario is engine seizure.

Such is the seriousness of the issue that Toyota has had a recall on Hiluxes in Britain, while in New Zealand the company has introduced a requirement to change the injector seals every 45,000km. Carsguide has had one report of total engine failure, requiring a new engine, and two others where the engines were inspected and found to have carbon at least partly clogging the oil pick-up, the suggestion is that, had they been allowed to run on without the inspection, they too would have suffered a major engine meltdown.

To date there has been no indication from Toyota here that it will instigate a similar recall campaign as in Britain. Owners of Hiluxes with the 1KD-FTV engine would be well advised to have their dealers inspect the oil pick-up to check on carbon build-up and have it cleaned if carbon is found. It's possible to inspect the oil pick-up by inserting a probe through the oil drain plug without removing the sump. It would also be prudent to change the injector oil seals."

Might help somebody out there.

Topcat
15-05-2012, 07:24 PM
The last 2 years I've been looking at a new twin cab after 2 falcon wagons in 13 years of business, I've been happy but the fuel has been killing me. At the end of the day it came down to the Navara twin cab & the Isuzu twin cab (I couldn't own a Holden) and the winner has been the D-Max I ordered it 3 weeks ago just waiting to pick her up..I think the fuel saving should pay for it, it was chewing fuel towing at close to 25 lt for every 100 km that was a tank every 300 k's & these days I drive in some rural areas to work.

Turbo Diesel, Now I've had the experiance of seeing a member PhilG use even he's Holden (Who would have thought) Rodeo to pull that ride-on up & down Mountains that were made for GOATS! and do it with ease so I found who built it ISUZU

I can't wait for Friday, she will be ready to roll out for the weekend of breaking in and I think I may just do some commercial work Sunday, Just to get a feel for her...some alone time for us!

Note to Members; Don't take your wife car shopping it costs way to much!

wceagles1
15-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Scooby Steve,was in the process of buying a new Hilux diesel for delivery the first week of July(Accountaned advised best for tax) however after reading the article in Cars Guide over the weekend and have gone soft on the idea.

The only other option i like is the Isuzu D-Max but they have a new model coming out .

Back to square one ,whould like some advice.

Topcat
15-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Accountant pushed me to, I was waiting until September ( I have a trip planned) but, I bought it now & happy to caught onto a good runout offer...I looked into the new one coming in July,.... BUT! although it give me 1 more speed in the Auto, I just felt it looked like a toy, I couldn't handle the shape, suppose it come into love it or hate it = I couldn't get used to it! so I hate it...No doubt once it hits the road I'll wish...hehe

I'm happy this was 2009 4WD of the years and they fixed just about every fault they had back in 2009.

I'm sleeping all night so it much be a good choice.

good luck with your choice, have to taken one for a test drive that sure got me over the line, Basic with everything i want and a little to splash on those want details...

Topcat
15-05-2012, 10:13 PM
wceagles1
4WDaction forum has tonnes of great posts if your interested I got heaps out of there.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
15-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Isuzu would be a good pick i reckon. I have too much under finance now for my liking but if i was going to take the big plundge i think i would probably go the isuzu i liked the bravo but i dont think it will last like the Isuzu. Ive just brought a dyna and hope it does me well.

Scooby Steve
16-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Scooby Steve,was in the process of buying a new Hilux diesel for delivery the first week of July(Accountaned advised best for tax) however after reading the article in Cars Guide over the weekend and have gone soft on the idea.

The only other option i like is the Isuzu D-Max but they have a new model coming out .

Back to square one ,whould like some advice.

The new Ford Ranger and its Mazda brother have been getting good reviews but the thing that would put me off buying one at this stage would be that they are still very new usually the first model of a series has some bugs to be ironed out if you can i would wait 6 months or so and revisit it then. A dual cab diesel Ranger is probably what i'll buy next but i'll wait to see how they go for reliability. Re: the Hilux it wont take long for Toyota to find a fix so i wouldn't discount them altogether. New Holden Colorado and Izuzu out soon but again i would wait as they are brand new. I don't know if anybody cares but the crash test results can differ greatly from ute to ute so if interested in how safe they are check out www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au

Wceagles can you wait until this time next year?

wceagles1
16-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Thankyou Scooby Steve,

As to can you wait please see cut and paste email from Accountant.

In summary, best bet would be to wait until 1 July, 2012 to do anything at all.

If the vehicle is purchased before 30 June, 2012 and is in possession the claim would be $33,000 x 15% = $4,950.

If the vehicle is ordered but not yet delivered before 30 June, 2012 the claim would be NIL

If the vehicle is purchased 1 July, 2012 the claim would be;

- One off $5,000

And

- ($33,000 - $5,000 = $28,000) x 15% = $4,200

The following year 12/13 the claim would be ($28,000 - $4,200 = $23,800) x 30% = $7,140

The following year 13/14 the claim would be ($23,800 - $7,140 = $16,660) x 30% = $4,998 etc etc etc

I am not an admin person but from what happened in the previous federal budget,and i dislike the Red Headed Clown however i will follow accountants advice and i like the Toyota Hilux and DMax.

This may be of help to fellow members.

Regards

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Thankyou Scooby Steve,

As to can you wait please see cut and paste email from Accountant.

In summary, best bet would be to wait until 1 July, 2012 to do anything at all.

If the vehicle is purchased before 30 June, 2012 and is in possession the claim would be $33,000 x 15% = $4,950.

If the vehicle is ordered but not yet delivered before 30 June, 2012 the claim would be NIL

If the vehicle is purchased 1 July, 2012 the claim would be;

- One off $5,000

And

- ($33,000 - $5,000 = $28,000) x 15% = $4,200

The following year 12/13 the claim would be ($28,000 - $4,200 = $23,800) x 30% = $7,140

The following year 13/14 the claim would be ($23,800 - $7,140 = $16,660) x 30% = $4,998 etc etc etc

I am not an admin person but from what happened in the previous federal budget,and i dislike the Red Headed Clown however i will follow accountants advice and i like the Toyota Hilux and DMax.

This may be of help to fellow members.

Regards

hows that work? are they saying you can claim $5000 for a car you brought in the next financial year.

wceagles1
17-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello Tender Loving Garden Care
As i stated i am not an admin person and i take on the advice of people who are, but from what i understand in the previous budget in an effort to get older cars of the road and people driving new cars put forward a one of incentive to do so effective the first week of May 2012.

If you cast your mind back i can remember the media saying that Swan has given the Tradies a new ute.

There is a lady who comes onto this forum i think Mrs H or someting i think she may be able to be explain how this works better than i can.

Regards

wceagles1
17-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Sorry that should have been the first week of July, as i said i am not an admin person

GardenGuy
17-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Does the $5K apply only to new vehicles (i.e. brand spankers) or to newly acquired used vehicles too?

If anyone can point me at the legislation, I would be ever to interested.

Cheers - GardenGuy.

wceagles1
17-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Cut and pasted a press release

Instant tax write-off for small business motor vehicles from 1 July 2012
For small business clients who purchase motor vehicles, the Government will provide an instant tax write-off
equal to the first $5,000 of the purchase price. As an example, a tradesman on a marginal tax rate of 30%
purchasing a new ute for $33,960, would receive an additional tax benefit of $1,275 in the year of purchase. The
remaining purchase price can be depreciated in the general depreciation pool at a rate of 15% in the first year and
30% in future years (the current method for the whole vehicle value). This measure will apply to all types of small
businesses structures, including sole traders, companies, partnerships and trusts, and all types of motor vehicles
used in the business

wattoo
15-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi Guys looking to change utes and wanted to get some advice. Does anyone here have a hilux 2.7 vvti if so how do they go pulling a trailer and their fuel economy? Have read reports but want it from the someone who uses one everyday?
Would go diesel but can find one second hand at the moment.

Topcat
15-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I just bought a D-Max 2012 Diesel, Auto, go give one a test drive...I went girly with the Auto towing at 12 litres/ 100 kilometers I'm Smiling!

Buy what you can afford, if you cant afford it look at working harder...lol

After driving 2 Ford Falcon wagons over the past 12 years this sure is a treat & turnover is up 15% maybe cos I get up now to drive her! BONUS she has a Heater...

Good luck with your searching!!

wattoo
15-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I have a 2007 Rodeo dual cab auto getting about 13-15 lt /100kms bought brand new so its not that I need to work hard to get another new car its just that I am looking to get out of the dual cab so I can carry more tools as I use the trailer for garden waste
and also I have a few clients where parking is a pain and wish that I only had to take the ute. Plus I dont want to go back and buy a really good ute as this one has scratches and dents over it and gets dirty with the lawn mowing. Plus saving on paying back a loan ( I know there are tax breaks ) it means I can save more for a house and put more back into the business.

Redeye
15-07-2012, 08:44 PM
one with a tray back - is it a work tool or a show pony that can't be scratched?

Scooby Steve
31-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Anyone had a chance to test drive the following - the new Holden Colorado, Ford Ranger and its twin the Mazda BT50. Read the reviews just looking to see if anyone has experienced them first hand. Holden looks to be a couple of grand cheaper than the other two all have over 3 tonne towing capacity which is brilliant. Ranger looks to be the most expensive of the lot but is it worth it?

allo
10-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Dont know if anyone is running a Hilux with this engine but it may pay to be on the look out for this potential problem. It was mentioned in a write up about Hiluxes in our main paper today "A potentially serious problem has come to light affecting the 1KD-FTV diesel engine used in the Hilux (and Prado) relating to the fuel injector seals. The seals can leak, letting blow-by gases enter the engine oil stream, which can turn the oil to carbon and eventually clog the oil pick-up in the sump, in some cases starving the engine of oil. The worst case scenario is engine seizure.

Such is the seriousness of the issue that Toyota has had a recall on Hiluxes in Britain, while in New Zealand the company has introduced a requirement to change the injector seals every 45,000km. Carsguide has had one report of total engine failure, requiring a new engine, and two others where the engines were inspected and found to have carbon at least partly clogging the oil pick-up, the suggestion is that, had they been allowed to run on without the inspection, they too would have suffered a major engine meltdown.

To date there has been no indication from Toyota here that it will instigate a similar recall campaign as in Britain. Owners of Hiluxes with the 1KD-FTV engine would be well advised to have their dealers inspect the oil pick-up to check on carbon build-up and have it cleaned if carbon is found. It's possible to inspect the oil pick-up by inserting a probe through the oil drain plug without removing the sump. It would also be prudent to change the injector oil seals."

Might help somebody out there.

My hilux has just seized from this problem! Spent 4k to fix but toyota would not admit to problem.Now im up for 10k for rebuild! only bought car from a dealer 4 months ago! not a hilux a CRYLUX.....

luketud
10-11-2012, 08:55 AM
ouch thats gotta hurt have you looked at going to the department of fair trading because the dealer has to offer a reasonable amount of time warranty and if its only 4 months out you might get out of paying for it

Scooby Steve
11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
My hilux has just seized from this problem! Spent 4k to fix but toyota would not admit to problem.Now im up for 10k for rebuild! only bought car from a dealer 4 months ago! not a hilux a CRYLUX.....

Get onto Cars Guide and tell them the story and see if they can pressure Toyota for some help (not sure of the age of your car or the k's this could hurt your chances if its older or has high k's), seems to be happening a bit so maybe Toyota will help you out if pushed.

imoww
13-11-2012, 05:55 AM
I too am in the market for an upgrading my Rodeo 97 model.
Looks like im getting the Nissan Navara diesel manual 2010.
Gets allot better fuel economy than the older utes.

Bgs
13-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I too am in the market for an upgrading my Rodeo 97 model.
Looks like im getting the Nissan Navara diesel manual 2010.
Gets allot better fuel economy than the older utes.

You will notice a big difference imoww, I have a 99 Rodeo and also have a 2012 diesel Triton, I get about 250 -290klm out of a tank in the rodeo compared to 500 -600+klm in the triton.

The rodeo is a good ute though pretty quick off the mark with the V6.

Scooby Steve
19-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Really good deals going at the moment with both D-Max and Triton, top of the range D-Max 2wd high rider with some added extras around the $39,000 mark. I just had a drive and while it doesn't drive as well as the Ranger and its diesel is a tad noisier it goes well and looks like it would last. Proven diesel engine too that's been around a while. Triton comes in under $40,000 as well, top of the line Ranger 2wd is around the $50,000 mark with around a 8 months waiting list for the auto so the other two look really good value at present.

DavidS
20-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Have you looked at the Mazda BT50, it's about 5 -6 grand cheaper than the Ranger. I am looking for a 4x4 and could not believe the price difference between a Ford Ranger dual cab and a Mazda Bt50, the Mazda is the same ute but was $5800.00 cheaper than the Ranger.

4 Gardens
20-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Have you looked at the Mazda BT50, it's about 5 -6 grand cheaper than the Ranger. I am looking for a 4x4 and could not believe the price difference between a Ford Ranger dual cab and a Mazda Bt50, the Mazda is the same ute but was $5800.00 cheaper than the Ranger.

I recently got the bt 50, it's fantastic compared to my old bt50

David I got mine from Ian Stoll at Jupiter moors in wagga, did me a great deal and even delivered it to Canberra on a trailer.

cylo
20-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I recently got the bt 50, it's fantastic compared to my old bt50

David I got mine from Ian Stoll at Jupiter moors in wagga, did me a great deal and even delivered it to Canberra on a trailer.

Do you have the diesel with 470Nm? How do you find the power when towing, is it ample for pulling up steep hills etc & how much weight are you pulling. Also how do you find the economy? Cheers

4 Gardens
20-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Do you have the diesel with 470Nm? How do you find the power when towing, is it ample for pulling up steep hills etc & how much weight are you pulling. Also how do you find the economy? Cheers

Yes, 4x4 dual cab XTR auto
Power is awesome when towing, no problems with hills, put the auto in sports mode
My trailer is 8x5 single axle with mower box in front, so almost 10x5 with gvm 1500kg
Get just over 12 litres per 100km around town with work trailer
11litres per 100 on the highway towing my jetski, weight around 300kg

Scooby Steve
21-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Hi David, drove both the Mazda and the Ranger both nice cars but i think i might wait until the series 2's come out, a few slight differences between the two things like a subtle difference in engine tune, suspension tune is different between the two and i think but don't quote me the auto transmissions are different. Also the Ford is much nicer to look at whether that makes up for the difference is up to the individual. Plenty of grunt from the diesel engine.

duck-01
22-09-2013, 10:22 PM
what im hearing about a lotta the modern diesel utes, is that the small diesel engines are so highly tuned to egg every scrap of power out of em, that they wont last the distance. better to get a landy or something known as bulletproof and reliable.

id also steer well clear of any autos if youre gonna tow a load about on the back, or a big trailer.

or you could get a great wall. haha.

imoww
23-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I too fit the whippy in on an angle when its in the back of the ute. The head sits on top of a milk crete which holds 2 petrol cans. This holds the whippy in place for those bumpy roads and speed humps.

PhilG
24-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Really good deals going at the moment with both D-Max and Triton, top of the range D-Max 2wd high rider with some added extras around the $39,000 mark. I just had a drive and while it doesn't drive as well as the Ranger and its diesel is a tad noisier it goes well and looks like it would last. Proven diesel engine too that's been around a while. Triton comes in under $40,000 as well, top of the line Ranger 2wd is around the $50,000 mark with around a 8 months waiting list for the auto so the other two look really good value at present.

D-Max is a tough as nails. I have the last of the Rodeo's and from what I know is pretty much the same engine as the current D-Max so it is tried and proven. I have a manual but the auto in the D-Max is out of a 4 ton Isusu truck so I am told so they should be good. Top Kat bought a D-Max auto last year, he is still happy with his.

Chris B
26-09-2013, 12:08 AM
how does the amarok compare in value to the other utes?

Blaktop
26-09-2013, 08:07 AM
You will notice a big difference imoww, I have a 99 Rodeo and also have a 2012 diesel Triton, I get about 250 -290klm out of a tank in the rodeo compared to 500 -600+klm in the triton.

The rodeo is a good ute though pretty quick off the mark with the V6.

My '99 Rodeo is on gas......I get 350kms from a tank for about $45 towing an 8x5 with all my gear (420km without the trailer), no idea about petrol, I only use it to get to the next gas pump when the gas runs out. Cost me $5k, does everything I need it to. I just figure if I don't buy a $20k+ work truck then the money I earn is profit, not going to pay for a truck that is depreciating at about the same rate I'm paying for it.

Scooby Steve
13-10-2013, 08:15 PM
how does the amarok compare in value to the other utes?

Don't know how they compare on value but reliability is still not as good as the Japanese/Thailand built stuff. Type into google VW Amarok problems and you'll be busy for a few days going through it all. Drive nice, but VW are having plenty of issues atm. D-Max looks the most reliable atm, not 100% sold on the build quality of the Bt-50's or the Ranger yet either, heard some isuues there too. Maybe wait for the second series for them to iron the bugs out. New Hilux not due to either late 2014 or early 2015. A mate is a engineer who is working on it as we speak.

Stripes
15-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Don't know how they compare on value but reliability is still not as good as the Japanese/Thailand built stuff. Type into google VW Amarok problems and you'll be busy for a few days going through it all. Drive nice, but VW are having plenty of issues atm.

I don't have an Amarok but VW Transporter cab chassis and it is making a loud buzzing sound coming from somewhere in the engine just as I go to change gears. Have to take it in to VW to look at when I get a chance. VW also had a lot of problems with automatic gearboxes in the sedans finally resulting in a recall.

SunM
16-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Don't know how they compare on value but reliability is still not as good as the Japanese/Thailand built stuff. Type into google VW Amarok problems and you'll be busy for a few days going through it all. Drive nice, but VW are having plenty of issues atm. D-Max looks the most reliable atm, not 100% sold on the build quality of the Bt-50's or the Ranger yet either, heard some isuues there too. Maybe wait for the second series for them to iron the bugs out. New Hilux not due to either late 2014 or early 2015. A mate is a engineer who is working on it as we speak.

Apparently the 2013 build BT50s have most of the bugs ironed out. Mine is a May 2012 build and its only really had software issues relating to the radio.

4 Gardens
16-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Apparently the 2013 build BT50s have most of the bugs ironed out. Mine is a May 2012 build and its only really had software issues relating to the radio.

Hi sun, is the radio issue to do with iPod not having volume when it first starts sometimes? I turn off the whole lot with the middle button, them back on and it works.

Mine is April 2013

SunM
16-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi sun, is the radio issue to do with iPod not having volume when it first starts sometimes? I turn off the whole lot with the middle button, them back on and it works.

Mine is April 2013

Nah. Sometimes the radio mutes itself on startup, you have to turn it off and then back on again. Never had issues with playing music through bluetooth. Mazda reset it, still happens but not as frequently. The other issue everyone had too was the maps on the SatNav are 4 years old. I can drive down roads where I know the speed limit was changed years ago but the SatNav still shows the old speed limit.

Bracey
16-10-2013, 10:17 PM
I have a 95 Hi lux diesle 4X4 never had any major problems the only real fault i find for lawn mowing is the tray is to high next time i will get a 2 wheel drive version but stick to Toyota

PaulG
16-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Make sure you do the engine oil and filters regularly on it Bracey. It may even pay to drop the sump sometime and get the big-end bearings checked plus the oil pump and pickup. Number 4 at the back is where they usually let go due to poorer oil flow to the back of the motor.

Mine (96 model) blew very unexpectedly and three years later I've just bought a cheap second-hand 2L 2.4 litre diesel as a replacement for the 3L 2.8 litre which even second hand, people want $3000 for a used one with 300,000km on it which is about when they usually blow anyway.

duck-01
18-10-2013, 07:38 PM
guy I know bought a great wall

2 litre turbo diesel - and he's surprised ffs that its gutless !!

has to rev the uknow out of it to do a very minor hill start he tows a 8x5 tandem and has to drop back 2 gears on the highway on a slight grade.

couldn't believe when I saw him in it then he started complaining. what did he expect? my wifes camry has a bigger engine, and I wouldn't tow with THAT lol.

ya get what ya pay for in my opinion.

SunM
19-10-2013, 07:45 PM
guy I know bought a great wall

2 litre turbo diesel - and he's surprised ffs that its gutless !!

has to rev the uknow out of it to do a very minor hill start he tows a 8x5 tandem and has to drop back 2 gears on the highway on a slight grade.

couldn't believe when I saw him in it then he started complaining. what did he expect? my wifes camry has a bigger engine, and I wouldn't tow with THAT lol.

ya get what ya pay for in my opinion.

Great Wall is only really good as transport, not a tow vehicle. Even then though, it only has a 2 star safety rating while the SUV version has 4 or 5 >_>

HPM
20-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Great Wall has a really low resale. If you get one you need to keep it till the end.

johnnie5
22-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Great Wall has a really low resale. If you get one you need to keep it till the end.

well it doesnt cost a huge amount to begin with

if you keep it more than a couple of years you are in front over buying a hilux and the money lost on it

HPM
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Got a new ute this week...Mercedes Benz ...1975 Unimog 416..

4 Gardens
05-11-2013, 05:54 PM

That's awesome

Bracey
05-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I used to drive the newer army version a great vehicle but do you think the tray may be a bit to high

Mow And Go
05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
ill buy the portals? ;) lol

Redeye
05-11-2013, 07:38 PM
was it armed?

HPM
05-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I used to drive the newer army version a great vehicle but do you think the tray may be a bit to high

It's ok....I'm very tall..

NLALM
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Dan I thought this might have been a gee up, but I saw you today bit hard to miss really, and ah bloody awesome best rig I have seen bar none. And I thought your patrol was good, but this thing is off the hook

Mow And Go
07-11-2013, 07:10 PM
please don't tell me its going into tuff truck :( lol sorry, I see Newcastle and unimog ...you guys do a bit of wheeling huh?

Fred's mowing
07-11-2013, 07:17 PM
WOW, just like NLALM, I thought you were kiddin!
Congrats............. mog mowing perhaps?
You just got to get some sort of advertising on that!
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I thought you were kidding too! A friend here has one for 4WDing. Awesome machines.

HPM
07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I've had it on the road all week and got a lot of attention. Can't wait for the weekend...

Scooby Steve
30-01-2014, 07:03 PM
My bro in law just purchased a Amarok hi-line dual cab auto 4 motion ute, his new work car, his going to keep me informed as to its reliability. Had heard all the motoring reviewers say how good they drive but i was a little disappointed, the Ranger has it beat for on road performance. Looks nice inside and feels solid but i'm still not convinced they are a reliable option for tradies just yet, still ironing out the bugs maybe.

mowbro
30-01-2014, 09:15 PM
My bro in law just purchased a Amarok hi-line dual cab auto 4 motion ute, his new work car, his going to keep me informed as to its reliability. Had heard all the motoring reviewers say how good they drive but i was a little disappointed, the Ranger has it beat for on road performance. Looks nice inside and feels solid but i'm still not convinced they are a reliable option for tradies just yet, still ironing out the bugs maybe.

Will be interested to see what he thinks, Steve! Whilst I've also heard they are really good to drive, I've been put off Volkswagens in a major way after my housemates experience with the cost of servicing. He had a relatively new Caddy which did the job well for him but his service bill was generally between the $700 - $1100 per regular service mark.

PaulG
30-01-2014, 09:32 PM

I think this is what my cousin has. He's a builder so tows his work trailer with it, jet-ski trailer with it, etc etc. ;-)

He's loving it so far. Had a Hilux 4wd dual cab previously. Getting massive fuel mileage from it too.

Stripes
31-01-2014, 05:03 AM
i have a VW transporter ute. It costs around $400 for a service from my local mechanic, but the service intervals are 15,000k's too and not 10000.

TomS
31-01-2014, 05:58 PM
i have a VW transporter ute. It costs around $400 for a service from my local mechanic, but the service intervals are 15,000k's too and not 10000.

I had a 2000 Transporter. Nice to drive, but underpowered. Every little thing that went wrong cost a fortune, and you really need to take them to a VW specialist. And they are dear. If you bought new and sold quickly I reckon they'd be great. But you could get a lot else for the money.

Tom

johnnie5
01-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Will be interested to see what he thinks, Steve! Whilst I've also heard they are really good to drive, I've been put off Volkswagens in a major way after my housemates experience with the cost of servicing. He had a relatively new Caddy which did the job well for him but his service bill was generally between the $700 - $1100 per regular service mark.

thats why you dont dealer service

Scooby Steve
01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
thats why you dont dealer service

Yep find a good indi who specializes in Vw's and you'll save heaps. We use to have a Subaru and the dealers would over charge nearly every service, did some research and found a great indi subaru mechanic who came in around half the cost of what the subbie dealers were asking. Indi's they always seem the best option don't they :). Speaking of Subbies buyer beware if you are looking at one that has the 2.5l engine, blown head gaskets are a massive issue once the km's climb, $3000 fix at the dealers, $2000 going Indi, hurts either way!!!

GAMS
16-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Just a "heads up" re buying a ute for towing. I have a 97 Ford Ranger ( beautiful truck to drive) but unfortunately while reversing my trailer up a small slope, ran out of clutch pressure and pedal went straight to the floor. Only has 70K on the speedo. Ten minutes later, clutch worked fine. Had my garage check it out and as I thought - clutch stuffed. Appears modern utes mostly have a dual mass flywheel on them, not the old solid flywheel. Supposed to give smoother gear changes etc. Well the upshot of this saga is - off the road for a week and $2000 to replace. I am having it replaced with an aftermarket clutch ( old style flywheel and heavy duty clutch plate). Guess I should have bought an auto transmission model. So when the sales guy says you have a 3500kg towing capacity, ask what sort of clutch the vehicle has. My repairer said the Ford was relatively cheap to replace - some makes up to $6000. Still love my Ford though. Cheers Guys.

4 Gardens
16-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Just a "heads up" re buying a ute for towing. I have a 97 Ford Ranger ( beautiful truck to drive) but unfortunately while reversing my trailer up a small slope, ran out of clutch pressure and pedal went straight to the floor. Only has 70K on the speedo. Ten minutes later, clutch worked fine. Had my garage check it out and as I thought - clutch stuffed. Appears modern utes mostly have a dual mass flywheel on them, not the old solid flywheel. Supposed to give smoother gear changes etc. Well the upshot of this saga is - off the road for a week and $2000 to replace. I am having it replaced with an aftermarket clutch ( old style flywheel and heavy duty clutch plate). Guess I should have bought an auto transmission model. So when the sales guy says you have a 3500kg towing capacity, ask what sort of clutch the vehicle has. My repairer said the Ford was relatively cheap to replace - some makes up to $6000. Still love my Ford though. Cheers Guys.

Hey gams, I have the 2006 bt 50- same almost as yours. There is a little trick you can do to get low range but in only 2wd. I reverse my trailer up a really steep drive and don't even touch accelerator or clutch. Check out 4wd forum and do a search. You can manully pull out the plug until you put in a switch

I have had mine now 5 years, 170,000 still on first clutch

Let me know if you need more info

4 Gardens
16-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Hey gams, I have the 2006 bt 50- same almost as yours. There is a little trick you can do to get low range but in only 2wd. I reverse my trailer up a really steep drive and don't even touch accelerator or clutch. Check out 4wd forum and do a search. You can manully pull out the plug until you put in a switch

I have had mine now 5 years, 170,000 still on first clutch

Let me know if you need more info

GAMS
17-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I use low range 4x4 for reversing up slopes - does being in 2wd make a difference?

4 Gardens
17-02-2014, 02:13 PM
I use low range 4x4 for reversing up slopes - does being in 2wd make a difference?

If the surface is sealed ie concrete etc and your are turning the steering wheel you can get what's called transmission lock up or wind up ( I think that is what it's called ) feels like the handbrake is on. You should only use 4wd when on slippery or loose surfaces, that way the wheels can spin a little to prevent the transmission problems.

If you have been doing it for a while and all is ok may not be worth worrying about. I have to turn while reversing so use the low range 2 wd option. Although when it's wet I have to use 4x4 cos I spin the wheels otherwise. I have a pebble Crete driveway.

Hope this makes sense

BeetleJuice
17-02-2014, 02:20 PM
.................................................. ...........