PDA

View Full Version : Spring Advertising Preview I've Done

RSM-Gazza
16-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Busy Day Today. without pushing a mower.

These are my local press adverts commnecing 27th August.
Decided to go for end of August as some people maybe thinking, do we get the same guy this year or try that bloke from the advert.
I thought, whilst many contractors are pre booked into jobs from last yr. Other people maybe deciding who to ring this time round and just desire a change of mower/garden man.
See what happens.I guess. One can only hope for success or some work to result out of it.
Also what ever jobs become of it. I will letter drop an introduction pamplet in color to 3 or 4 house either side and opposite.With a picture of my rig setup within it, as they may connect it with the vision they had of me being parked in there street making that 2S and 4Stroke noise.

The small one will be in rear tradies section at the rear of the paper for 24 wks continuous.

Then the larger one starts 27th August in the same Paper but will be inserted between pages 2 and 5 (7 at worst) every second week up until end of October. It's primarily designed to provide more info and get my self viewed twice. Many people in my town know my name as I've previously posted.

The pictures contained within are not the actual ones that are going in. As one will have the trailer and the other will have me in a garden setting with my new Ride On (bought today) to one side and my push mowers to the other side with the whipper and assorted tools on the ground. With me holding the Multi Tool hedger in uniform in the middle.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/000_0360-1.jpg

The ride on I puchased as per link, can't afford a Walker and wanted rear collection built in. ZTR will be a dream for another day Husky (http://www.husqvarna.com/au/landowner/products/garden-tractors/cth2642te/)

SouthCoast Walker
16-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Hope it works out for you, I personally had no luck with local paper advertising, I spent $440 for a 8 week advert in my local paper and got one $50 lawn from it, I get all my work from flyer deliveries and word of mouth. Good luck with it.

How is the Victa 530 going?

John.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Hope it works out for you, I personally had no luck with local paper advertising, I spent $440 for a 8 week advert in my local paper and got one $50 lawn from it, I get all my work from flyer deliveries and word of mouth. Good luck with it.

John.

Thats strange most my work used to come from paper now i havent advetised for a while get the odd job from net not wasting money advertising at this time of the year

RSM-Gazza
16-08-2010, 08:26 PM
John,

Yep hope its generates some income too.

In a 96,000 combined population regional town, the mid week, although comes out Thursday/Friday paper goes to everyone.
This home delivered paper has also many well stocked stands located at business all over town covering every premise who advertise within or has advertised. Including all shopping centres up here. They a a very inovatative proactive paper and have many features within that are quite imaginative and drawing the reader IMO.
The smaller 24 wk continous adverts cost me under $400 for that one. So I though that was OK value.
In sept re have been known to be in 18 to 25 and sometimes can fall back to 14's as well

Trying to post here at random as I'm out in the shed grinding the Ride On Ramps and attaching secure strapping anchor points at the moment.

RSM-Gazza
16-08-2010, 09:18 PM
John,

That Victa 530 is sweet as. love it and even more so since I lowered the handle a little on the adjuster bolts.
Love the mulch option, yes, no, maybe I'll just some and catch the rest re the on the go lever. The mower flap is designed to be a rear grass throw down with the catcher off as it leave quite sufficient gap to do so if desired say in mulch modes without the bag on.

Sooo glad I got it after I nearly didn't.

geoff
16-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Garry make sure you register for the free listings on the net ,,, true local etc etc ..and get your self a web site a..sap our main line of calls now come from the INTERNET..good customers go Google gardener or lawn mowing service for a provider ..but you have probably already got that hey ??

RSM-Gazza
16-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Garry make sure you register for the free listings on the net ,,, true local etc etc ..and get your self a web site a..sap our main line of calls now come from the INTERNET..good customers go Google gardener or lawn mowing service for a provider ..but you have probably already got that hey ??

Haven't done that on the Indy site yet or any other free listing sites. Paid the Public Lib via Indy. Just pushing for time to do everything at the moment. ie spent Saturday nite under the trailer giving it a thick yummy enamel paint coating while its still clean. Last night it was stripe all electric wiring on the trailer and re do it all properly to ensure it works day in day out. Plus a big client job this week to do. But I'm getting there.
But by next Monday I should be 100% willing and ready and able with no minor tasks at hand.

Scooby Steve
17-08-2010, 05:57 PM
And get your free listing in all the yellow pages directories gives you a free on-line ad as well.

The Local Gardener
17-08-2010, 07:57 PM

John.

I love this country so much, we are so far apart and what works for one person does not work for the other. For mine 90% of all my work would be from local paper.

Interesting fact!!!!!!!:aus-flag:

geoff
17-08-2010, 08:03 PM
mm mm mine is now 80% Internet the other local rag...

SouthCoast Walker
18-08-2010, 11:36 PM
John,

That Victa 530 is sweet as. love it and even more so since I lowered the handle a little on the adjuster bolts.
Love the mulch option, yes, no, maybe I'll just some and catch the rest re the on the go lever. The mower flap is designed to be a rear grass throw down with the catcher off as it leave quite sufficient gap to do so if desired say in mulch modes without the bag on.

Sooo glad I got it after I nearly didn't.

Cool I am picking one up on Friday.

SouthCoast Walker
18-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I love this country so much, we are so far apart and what works for one person does not work for the other. For mine 90% of all my work would be from local paper.

Interesting fact!!!!!!!:aus-flag:

Yes quite interesting, where are you located again?

starmow
19-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Mine is 60% local paper, 30% flyers and 10% internet

Bluey
19-08-2010, 08:07 PM
mm mm mine is now 80% Internet the other local rag...

Same here...local rag is not really generating a lot for me nor are flyers

RSM-Gazza
19-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Cool I am picking one up on Friday.

Vrrooommm, I reckon you will like it too. I was told to not change gears at flat out revs to preserve the gear box. Although it doesn't say to do so in the manual, but I'll heed the mower shop advice. I just leave it in second gear as thats fast enough to walk behind. I reckon I'd need to wear lycra shorts if I was using third.:)
Also the mower shop was strongly against folding the handle all the time due to the amount of cables being stretched and bended in the process. Something I don't ever need to do.

But yesterday I had to finish of a front lawn in light rain for a client. Yep not ideal and the grass was high and obtained a fair wack of clover. I had to mow in the wet or the client would have come home and maybe thought I had done enough even though the rain had set in. I've still to return and complete the big clean up job.

Anyhow this revolves around my push contractors alloy based GXV160 Masport. That base never clogged, didn't drop grass and left a clean finish for the style of lawn it was. If it was a high grade lawn I would have not mowed it the conditions.
Got to love the Masport too, so happy with both mowers.
Just got get some jobs to test out the using the Husky 26hp 42in rear collector too. Got the multi pole saw yesterday arvo, now thats a nifty little device, dropped a big palm fond with ease. Think I'm at the end of major spending thank goodness.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Think I'm at the end of major spending thank goodness.

Ya think Garry ;)

There is always something else you will have to have or something better or something new that comes out.:big grin:big grin

RSM-Gazza
20-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Glenn,

At moment I've got everything I believe I need and with a well layed out easy access trailer and hilux work vehicle.
I'm just soooo happy and totally appreciate being able to have what I have as a newbie.
Today's clients job request showed how our job can be stress free with great equipment. Man I was happy when I drove away from a satisfying job.
Yep I know the Husky 26hp 42 inch rear collector is not a Walker, but it's still cool to have and will give me greater flexibility to take on small bus and commercial clients which I'm including within my advertising.:):):)

But the Yellow Pages lady paid a visit to my house today for 2011 and brrrrrrrr, thats not cheap for a one unit color and white background advert. So costs are still incurred.

geoff
20-08-2010, 10:47 PM
never stop spending the secret is to have the right machine but sometimes takes experience to work it out.I reckon the only way is to try it your self , so many times you see on this forum the different type of machines that each contractor recommends ...every recommendation is probably correct but each one to there own

geoff
20-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Glenn,

At moment I've got everything I believe I need and with a well layed out easy access trailer and hilux work vehicle.
I'm just soooo happy and totally appreciate being able to have what I have as a newbie.
Today's clients job request showed how our job can be stress free with great equipment. Man I was happy when I drove away from a satisfying job.
Yep I know the Husky 26hp 42 inch rear collector is not a Walker, but it's still cool to have and will give me greater flexibility to take on small bus and commercial clients which I'm including within my advertising.:):):)

But the Yellow Pages lady paid a visit to my house today for 2011 and brrrrrrrr, thats not cheap for a one unit color and white background advert. So costs are still incurred.
good luck with the yellow pages..internet is a good way to go as well and probably generates 80 % of our business....

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Glenn,

G'day Garry.

Hope you didn't think I was having a go. You have put a lot of thought and effort into setting up your new business and I have to say I am envious. I wish I had done the same when I started out.
I think you are going to go great guns and your enthusiasm is infectious.

But come on when it comes to blokes there is never enough toys in the man cave. :D:D:D:D

RSM-Gazza
20-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Geoff,

In inland major towns when you advertise you capture the complete city in one simple step. In my case both sides of the Border, be local paper or Yellow Pages.
People/businesses in the bush that can afford a lawnie/gardener tend to be slightly more traditional and use Yellow Pages as the book captures the total immediate country locality. (96,000 people)
Plus you get a free basic yellow pages internet listing.

Bit like the local main street, it is depended and heavily focused upon having a traditional free standing main st Bank for use the traditional way. That's the country/bush way, but internet is still there I know.

geoff
20-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Garry tahts great and i think having that is gold , down here though people are time poor ..they just Google search get a gardener and want the job done ..they cant be stuffed talking just have their problem resolved and move on ....don't like it but its easy ....quote do the job and move on..I too are originally from the country and love the " down the street connections " and in a small way it works here too but at the end of the day the big money is quote mow and go ....:(

RSM-Gazza
20-08-2010, 11:23 PM
G'day Garry.

Hope you didn't think I was having a go. You have put a lot of thought and effort into setting up your new business and I have to say I am envious. I wish I had done the same when I started out.
I think you are going to go great guns and your enthusiasm is infectious.

But come on when it comes to blokes there is never enough toys in the man cave. :D:D:D:D

Glenn, no not at all mate.:)
Bit like a boat, your hand is always in your pocket, especially when newer refined higher res led depth sounders appear in BCF

All learnings and I'm still learning from good advice from blokes like you and the good peoples male and female within here.
I owe deeply to the Indy members for any limited knowledge I have today and towards moving forward. I wish I had the on ground knowledge of the collective here, but advice is always at onhand the night before you hit a job or the night after within the forum.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
20-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Glenn, no not at all mate.:)
Bit like a boat, your hand is always in your pocket, especially when newer refined higher res led depth sounders appear in BCF

All learnings and I'm still learning from good advice from blokes like you and the good peoples male and female within here.
I owe deeply to the Indy members for any limited knowledge I have today and towards moving forward. I wish I had the on ground knowledge of the collective here, but advice is always at onhand the night before you hit a job or the night after within the forum.

Ain't it the truth mate aint it the truth:fact:dance

RSM-Gazza
20-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Garry tahts great and i think having that is gold , down here though people are time poor ..they just Google search get a gardener and want the job done ..they cant be stuffed talking just have their problem resolved and move on ....don't like it but its easy ....quote do the job and move on..I too are originally from the country and love the " down the street connections " and in a small way it works here too but at the end of the day the big money is quote mow and go ....:(

Geoff,

Exactly,
As you know re my last job exposure, I'm known by hundreds in town or at least they know me by name and face recognition. I could park in the main street in theory with the signaged rig (no double parking bays in the main street). Then walk both side of the street and bump into many people who know me or say hey thats your trailer gazza.
It's the country way and I'm been local since 1985. Love it for an ex Williamstown, Footscray, Torquay and Wantirna lad.

geoff
20-08-2010, 11:39 PM
mate the most important thing is that they remember you as a great gardener thats what you have to strive for now ...being the best you can and more

RSM-Gazza
20-08-2010, 11:52 PM
mate the most important thing is that they remember you as a great gardener thats what you have to strive for now ...being the best you can and more

True words with out doubt, I was quite pedantic in my past career and it was quite often provided as feedback in Hr sessions. Just want to do the best job possible, but work smarter as experience developes. Good advice/encouragement is a plenty here like yours. Thanks.

RSM-Gazza
24-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, great day today again, was told by a client that I'm working with at the present. That I need to invoice more $$'s into the account as they said my work was excellent and better than expected. That's very very rewarding as you all know, although I knew it was a little under quoted due to being new, although $'s are still OK.

Also got a commercial phone call today and have obtained two well profiled commercial business clients as a regular at larger $'s.
Great day and my strong advertising venture doesn't appear till later in the week and onwards.

Work is hard, but the rewards when you see how good clients properties come up at end of the day is just so rewarding.
You enjoy the travel home so much listening to the car radio.
In my last career at the end of day I could be so stressed some days. You could follow the car in front and proceed through the traffic lights and not really know what color the lights were.

Love this work/lifestyle further and further everyday. Conditioning the body for summer as I know it will get toughter.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
24-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, great day today again, was told by a client that I'm working with at the present. That I need to invoice more $$'s into the account as they said my work was excellent and better than expected. That's very very rewarding as you all know, although I knew it was a little under quoted due to being new, although $'s are still OK.

Also got a commercial phone call today and have obtained two well profiled commercial business clients as a regular at larger $'s.
Great day and my strong advertising venture doesn't appear till later in the week and onwards.

Work is hard, but the rewards when you see how good clients properties come up at end of the day is just so rewarding.
You enjoy the travel home so much listening to the car radio.
In my last career at the end of day I could be so stressed some days. You could follow the car in front and proceed through the traffic lights and not really know what color the lights were.

Love this work/lifestyle further and further everyday. Conditioning the body for summer as I know it will get toughter.

good on ya mate keep the quality high and the price reasonable but fair and your name will be passed around and that's free advertising.

RSM-Gazza
24-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks, TLLG.

Can't believe, but really can believe how much I'm enjoying this mid life change.
It's just so satisfying to see a good days work being appreciated.

Must say a good variety of tools do help so much which I'm just so lucky to have straight off.
Today I bought a Multi Tool Whipper as a back up, as yesterday my Husky dedicated whipper almost failed me half way through a job.
Looks like a minor newly design husky petrol cap was not allowing enough air back into the tank. That caused it to die and created power surging after extended use. My local dealer was on to it straight away to help me-great service by them.

Fair price and quality work does = free advertising and I'm seeing that as we speak. Along with personal satisfaction, great when you travel or come home after a hards days work and be so happy and content. Makes the family smile more tooooo.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
24-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks, TLLG.

Can't believe, but really can believe how much I'm enjoying this mid life change.
It's just so satisfying to see a good days work being appreciated.

Must say a good variety of tools do help so much which I'm just so lucky to have straight off.
Today I bought a Multi Tool Whipper as a back up, as yesterday my Husky dedicated whipper almost failed me half way through a job.
Looks like a minor newly design husky petrol cap was not allowing enough air back into the tank. That caused it to die and created power surging after extended use. My local dealer was on to it straight away to help me-great service by them.

Fair price and quality work does = free advertising and I'm seeing that as we speak. Along with personal satisfaction, great when you travel or come home after a hards days work and be so happy and content. Makes the family smile more tooooo.

Good on ya Garry. Its a good feeling isn't it.

RSM-Gazza
25-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks Glenn.

Today in person secured those two commercial jobs mentioned yesterday. So happy they gave it to me. I going to work on one, this Sunday to do a lot Atom edging in uninterupted time at my own pace. Glad I bought that tool now.
To get their edging up to my standard as it was not being done properly before if at all.
This job normally needs to be done early when serviced weekdays due to strong business activity cranking up at 8.00am onwards. Really need to dissappear by 8.15-30am.

Was in the main local shopping area today around lunch time and walked into a Area Mgr for a very large food supplier factory. This person knows me very well from my old career and garden/pool/landscaping talk was what we often spoke about outside of business.
Well this person is going to speak to the Factory management re me for ground maintenance.
Fingers crossed on that one but it could be a long shot, who knows.

Tomorrow + friday my twin adverts start. Well the weathers good to wet the soil as we are about to get a total drenching in the next few minutes in my area again. But at the same time could have also been 17 degrees and sunning too. But cape weed is going off about the place at the moment.