PDA

View Full Version : Yukon multitool

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
22-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Yukon equipment before. Definitely not commercial equipment but I am interested in what it is like.

My wife's work has started stocking power gardening equipment and the other day I had a look at a machine that is 33 cc with a bump feed head, hedging attachment and a chainsaw attachment. I'm going to try and convince them to give me one to test drive but if they wont for a $195 I'm willing to spend the money and find out if it's any good.

geoff
22-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Yukon equipment before. Definitely not commercial equipment but I am interested in what it is like.

My wife's work has started stocking power gardening equipment and the other day I had a look at a machine that is 33 cc with a bump feed head, hedging attachment and a chainsaw attachment. I'm going to try and convince them to give me one to test drive but if they wont for a $195 I'm willing to spend the money and find out if it's any good.

mate if you get hedging job thats around that figure , what have you got to loose , but some experience and really test the theory of " you get what you pay for"....I know some people have paid over 10 times that amount and weren't truly satisfied for the dollars spent ..

Fred's mowing
22-08-2010, 10:25 PM

$195 FOR ALL OF THAT??????????????? WOW. Imagine if its good!
Now we need a guinea pig.
Cheers Dean.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
22-08-2010, 10:47 PM
$195 FOR ALL OF THAT??????????????? WOW. Imagine if its good!
Now we need a guinea pig.
Cheers Dean.

I believe the rrp is usually $560

Neil&family
23-08-2010, 01:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-in-1-PETROL-CHAINSAW-HEDGE-TRIMMER-BRUSH-LINE-CUTTER-/180547787486

I'm Guessing this is it.

I was just looking on Sydney tools for a Makita Multi tool and i thought they had one with 30+ cc's. Someone from here bought one.
$ 750 i think from memory.

Wattle GC
23-08-2010, 04:22 PM
This could be an expensive experiment if it breaks..I think we all have learnt by now you get what you pay for..

Zweedo
23-08-2010, 10:19 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-in-1-PETROL-CHAINSAW-HEDGE-TRIMMER-BRUSH-LINE-CUTTER-/180547787486

I'm Guessing this is it.

I was just looking on Sydney tools for a Makita Multi tool and i thought they had one with 30+ cc's. Someone from here bought one.

It looks a lot like the Baumr-AG Multi tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-LONGREACH-5M-CHAINSAW-HEDGE-TRIMMER-BRUSH-CUTTER-/160472033950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15

geoff1969
23-08-2010, 10:30 PM

the engine unit looks very simular to a cheap pole saw i brought about 12 months ago ... paid 120 for the pole saw to do a job then when talking to local mower shop he said the head units and shaft are based on pope trimers etc { i told him arrrhhh your full of **** stiring him up } so he gave me a trimmer head and gaurd of and old pope trimer for free = it fited perfect so now i use it as back up trimmer = 120 dollars free trimmer head and done about 12 hours of pole saw work and about 100 hours of heavy brusch cutting work and runs fine more than paid for it self i only wanted it for a simple job but i now just abuse it and it loves it ...

Andy B
24-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I've got the 33cc agr head with the pole hedger, if it's the same it's got plenty of grunt but has only had two uses so can't tell you much about it's reliability. I can tell you if the hedger bit is the same check the blade bolts regularly or you'll be sorry...

Fred's mowing
24-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Andy, double nut the bolts;).
Cheers Dean.

Andy B
24-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Andy, double nut the bolts;).
Cheers Dean.

Doh! Didn't think of that, will go and check the bolts are long enough, thanks.

starmow
24-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Glenno if you buy this Yukon equipment, can you tell me how it going because I need to buy one in future.. :noel

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
24-08-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm Guessing this is it.

Yep. Thats the one Neil.

I had a look when I was at my wifes work last sat day. Its a little bit heavy and didn't come with an extension but looked alright for a cheapo and I wouldn't have a problem having one for a backup.

Mind you I'm using a sanli so can't say anything about comparisons to more expensive gear

South East Mowing
24-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Cranbourne,

How do you find the Sanli?

I use their motors(only) on Kaaz sticks for by residential stuff. For the price I get them at they are great. Keep the Shindaiwa and genuine Kaaz for other stuff.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
24-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Hi Cranbourne,

How do you find the Sanli?

I use their motors(only) on Kaaz sticks for by residential stuff. For the price I get them at they are great. Keep the Shindaiwa and genuine Kaaz for other stuff.

G'day LWH

For $500 it does me fine. I don't do a great deal of hedging work but have used it on everything from diosma to conifers and haven't had a problem. Will admit for the finer stuff would be nice to have more revs. The pruner is great keep it oiled and sharp and it rips through everything.

BobC
14-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Last September, after reading the original post, and having a large head high weed infested block to clear, I decided to take a chance and buy one of these units. I figured I might as well wreck a cheap unit than an expensive one.

Nine months on and the unit is still going strong and gets used almost everyday, so I think that I can give you an honest review.

The Power Head:It starts first pull, hot or cold, even after being in use for hours on end. It revs hard and doesn’t miss a beat. It can be a bit thirsty and all I’ve had to replace is a couple of spark plugs. Nothing has broken and nothing has vibrated loose.

The Line Trimmer.The trimmer head supplied with unit worked ok, but was a fiddle at times to reload. I replaced it with a speed feed head and have never looked back.

The Hedge Trimmer:It’s an articulated unit and it’s good to be able to stand back a bit from the work. I use the hedger at least once a week, sometimes on some pretty feral hedges and it does the job. About three weeks ago the hedger stopped working. The drive gears had worn and were not meshing. After the abuse it’s had in the last nine months I wasn’t surprised. I bought a new hedger. Cost = $40.00.
Like all hedgers, keep an eye open for any nuts vibrating loose and make sure you grease the unit regularly. I also use it occasionally with an extension pole but unless you have arms like Popeye it’s bloody hard yakka!

The Pole Pruner.I’ve only used the pruner about a dozen times, but it never misses a beat. Just keep the chain sharp and let the machine do the work. Don’t force it.

Concerns:My only concern with the unit was the security of the coupler. It is sturdy enough but did have a tendency to allow twisting of the poles within the coupler. I resolved this by using a strong jubilee clip around the end of the coupler. No more problems.

Summary:If you’re a brand name snob then it’s not for you, but if you want a value for money tool that lets you do the work, this unit fits the bill. At the price, it does the job and lets you get on with the business of making some money, and if you do break it it’s cheap enough to replace without going grey.
:)

MAGOO
11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey

I have been looking at these bad boys

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130516105109#ht_4922wt_1139

I only need a tool that will be used every now and then as I build up clients that need this type of machines.

What do you think? Does anyone know anything about these engines ? any feedback from the other Yukon engine users ?

Craig

PaulG
11-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I've often thought about getting one of these as I've had many jobs where the extended chainsaw or hedge trimmer would have been useful but I still haven't brought myself to part with the cash. My thinking is that I'd still rather buy the geniune dedicated items when I can afford them.

Might be useful just as a short term thing though like you said Magoo.

Whether it's "Yukon" or any of the other numerous Chinese copies of these tools it probably doesn't matter which you buy. 99% of those motors are a copy of the Mitsubishi motors which are a good design - just depends on the quality of the parts they are using I guess as to how long they last. I have a genuine Mitsubishi motor on my brushcutter and it's been going strong for close to 14 years.

Bob's review above sounds pretty good too.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
11-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Hey

I have been looking at these bad boys

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130516105109#ht_4922wt_1139

I only need a tool that will be used every now and then as I build up clients that need this type of machines.

What do you think? Does anyone know anything about these engines ? any feedback from the other Yukon engine users ?

Craig

Its actually my wifes work place. She is the office manager there. They Sell a lot of the Yukon equipment and have good feedback about it, but do you reckon I can get any equipment to try out .........

GrowCutMow
16-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Just ordered one. Will let you know how it goes. I mainly need it for the extended hedger. I figure it will save me heaps on time not moving ladders all over the place.

Woodsy
16-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I've just ordered one as well. Need a pole saw to try at home, so instead of hiring one for around $100, thought I'd bite the bullet and purchase this one. Largely due to the review above. This forum is a wealth of information!

MAGOO
18-08-2011, 08:57 AM
i just purchased one as well.. had another job where this would of been great instead of using a telescopic ladder and plank of wood as a platform (not safe as all, up in the hedge with the cutters and hedger)

my older brother has some tree branches on his property that need clearing so I can get heaps of practise in before charging people for this service

I will post a review later as well !

Magoo

PaulG
18-08-2011, 10:09 AM
i just purchased one as well.. had another job where this would of been great instead of using a telescopic ladder and plank of wood as a platform (not safe as all, up in the hedge with the cutters and hedger)

Lifelong neighbour of mine in his late 60s - early 70s died a couple of months ago from standing atop a similar setup.

He was pruning a row of tall LillyPillys and had two 8ft A-frame step ladders with a timber plank g-clamped to the top steps.

Lost his balance, fell, smacking his head on concrete below and died in hospital that night.

Can't stress enough to people to be aware of safety when working at heights.

MAGOO
18-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Lifelong neighbour of mine in his late 60s - early 70s died a couple of months ago from standing atop a similar setup.

He was pruning a row of tall LillyPillys and had two 8ft A-frame step ladders with a timber plank g-clamped to the top steps.

Lost his balance, fell, smacking his head on concrete below and died in hospital that night.

Can't stress enough to people to be aware of safety when working at heights.

Sorry to near ....

i was only about 1m off the ground but still did not like it.

PaulG
18-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I just bit the bullet and grabbed this package.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GARDEN-CHAINSAW-HEDGE-TRIMMER-PETROL-WHIPPER-SNIPPER-/130559884845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e65f9be2d

Wanted to get some better dedicated commercial gear but I don't have a spare $2K.

Had to take the plunge as I've gotten two jobs just this morning to do tall hedges, one a very tall Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Screenmaster'.
The height they are, I want to minimise the height I need to be up a ladder and there's a fair reach across them too.

Will be able to give some feedback by the end of next week.

courty
18-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Haha,I ordered one last night as well.I reckon the price of admission is cheap enough to check em out without losing to much

Fred's mowing
18-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I was hoping this would be a goer.
Could'nt even get it to start.
Realised the quality was'nt up to what we would use it for, so it went back.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Hope u have better luck.
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
18-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Did you put petrol in it? LOL

I'm hoping mine will be like the one BobC reviewed - ie one that works! ;)

Did you have any drama's returning yours Dean? Have to pay return freight?

Fred's mowing
18-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Na, picked it up & returned it ourselves, just down the road.
Cheers Fred.

HPM
18-08-2011, 09:46 PM
These yukons look like the attatchments would fit on the shindaiwa multi tool..has anyone tried it out.

Fred's mowing
18-08-2011, 10:17 PM
These yukons look like the attatchments would fit on the shindaiwa multi tool..has anyone tried it out.

Thats what i thought. I tried, different size, shindy is a smaller diameter.
Cheers Fred.

Woodsy
22-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Mine arrived Friday, so I got up early Saturday morning to put it together. All assembled fine and used the pole saw on a mammoth tree we have out the front. Aside from initially putting the chain on the wrong way (no wonder it wouldn't cut!) the machine worked fine for over an hour. Had a big mess to clean up afterwards though. 1 and a half trailer loads, over $100 in dump fees.

I haven't tried the hedge trimmer or whipper head yet, but I've decided to put one of the blades on the head so it is different to my Shindy brushcutter.

Bluey
22-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Good trial run for when you do a real commercial job like that Woodsy. Many homeowners have no idea just how much green waste can come of a relatively small tree. Which dump did you use. If you have a wood heater or know someone who has saw the stuff up into useable lengths and stick it out the back to dry out for a year or so. Free firewood and saves on dumping fees

GrowCutMow
22-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Mine arrived Friday
That's when mine was supposed to arrive. Got sent to Sydney instead. Now I have to wait until Wed. Not very happy. I have a client lined up to test the hedge trimmer on it as well. Waiting waiting waiting.

PaulG
23-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Many homeowners have no idea just how much green waste can come of a relatively small tree.

So true mate. I reckon from the visual inspection you should allow double what you estimate (in most cases) by the time it's on the ground. Had to take down a mid-sized Celtis recently and it was bare from Winter leaf-fall and even with compacting it, my 8 x 5 x 4 trailer was still overflowing.

My Yukon tool turned up late today too but I haven't unboxed it yet. Job for tomorrow if the showers and drizzle keeps up.

Anyone know if the gearboxes etc would already be greased?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone know if the gearboxes etc would already be greased?

If their not it would be the first time I've heard of having to grease up before use.

MAGOO
24-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey

I just got home all excited and opened up my garage to find this !!!

someone had thrown the box under my house... I was not happy, called customer service and sent them some pics. They want me to test every bit to make sure nothing is broken...

courty
24-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Mine arrived yesterday,put it together this morning.
Fueled her up,fired within the first few pulls. Adjusted the idle and she's good to go.
Adjusted the hedger blades to 10 thou as they were to tight.
The couplers seem pretty sturdy to me. Weight wise I was expecting it to feel heavier and it seems pretty well balanced though I am a pretty big bloke so that could vary.
Only time will tell if it's reliable or not,will post some more when I've put a few hours on it.

PaulG
24-08-2011, 05:49 PM
someone had thrown the box under my house... I was not happy, called customer service and sent them some pics. They want me to test every bit to make sure nothing is broken...

Mine turned up with Toll Ipec and the box had suffered some damage at one end and was completely soggy on that end as well. Makes you wonder what goes on?

Opening it this evening to see if everything's okay.

mowtown
26-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Waiting,waiting,waiting .......
How did they go ??? Need to get a combo set soon . Cut some s..t up you guys !!!
Search and Destroy !!

PaulG
26-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Assembled the engine onto the half shaft but haven't tried any of the attachments yet. Fuelled it up and it started within 5 pulls and settled down to a nice idle. It is bloody heavy though being 49cc so I can see the harness/strap getting a bit of use.

MAGOO
28-08-2011, 05:28 PM
managed to get some time today and assembled it... the world worst instructions

The only thing is when I release the throttle it seems to 'stick' and slowly go down to an idle. Probably me any suggestions on fixing this ?

Big test out tomorrow with it ... Hope it is up to it

Craig

PaulG
29-08-2011, 01:25 AM
You actually got instructions with yours? LOL.

You haven't got a kink or restriction in the throttle cable have you? I noticed that the throttle and ignition cables were all way longer than necessary and required some 'management'. I'm thinking of shortening and reconnecting the cables to the on-off switch at least, to minimise the chance of them snagging on something.

MAGOO
29-08-2011, 09:11 PM
the cables are about 9cm too long.... have you have any issue with petrol flow? a few time it stopped today and a few pumps and restart, it was back up running

I used the hedger tool .... went very well. My echo hedger and this worked well and as this hedger is wider than the echo it cut very well. Forgot the chain oil so I was unable to use the pole saw.

I reckon for 250 not bad value

good starter tool to expand the business but something like a STIHL combo tool may be worthwhile for heavier users

PaulG
29-08-2011, 11:44 PM
No probs with petrol flow with mine. When I started it I revved it a bit, turned it off and on a few times and let it idle for a few minutes and it was okay.

PaulG
02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Just home for lunch and to grab a bit more gear.

Tried using the Yukon tool on the pruning job I'm doing today.

Will be doing a review of it's performance tonight after repackaging it for a refund.

Seems real world performance is miles away from whether it starts and runs straight out of the box.

Stump
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZWAY-5-1-MULTI-TOOL-BRUSHCUTTER-/320749811257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4aae2db639

Found this today. Who's gunna try it out and save me wasted money lol? Actually looks ok, and has a pole extension. Looks like I wont be buying the Yukon.

courty
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZWAY-5-1-MULTI-TOOL-BRUSHCUTTER-/320749811257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4aae2db639

Found this today. Who's gunna try it out and save me wasted money lol? Actually looks ok, and has a pole extension. Looks like I wont be buying the Yukon.

Looks like the same dog with different spots and a bigger price tag.

ian
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
but this one comes with a vaild engine and meets European and American starndards ;) i always have confidence when buying from sites that have good spelling

NLALM
02-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Funny isn't it, ever heard you get what you pay for. There is only 2 of these types of machines worth buying for contractors either the stihl combi or the shindaiwa. If these machines are over a grand do you really think one for 2 hundred is going to be any good I know when you are starting out money is tight but buying crap means you will buy twice

PaulG
02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Just home now after picking up the noise. Totally stuffed. A good multi-tool would have been great today. Instead I think I've been up and down my 8ft ladder about 250 times.

Here 'tis then......

Yukon 49cc Multi Tool Review - My thoughts and opinion.

GOOD POINTS

*The incredible feeling of excitement and anticipation when it was delivered.
* The engine-housing is red like a Ferrari.
* It started.

BAD POINTS

*The incredible feeling of disappointment and hopelessness after about 1/2 an hour of struggling with it this morning.
*It's heavy compared to all of my other tools.
*The attachments and handles all spin out of position regardless of how tight bolts were done up.
*After about the third restart of the morning to try it on another part of the job it took about a dozen pulls to start. It would idle but not rev and just died.
*The stop switch would not work to turn it off (when it was running).
*The hedge trimmer attachment and chainsaw attachment should be repackaged and sold in the toy department at KMart for Christmas Stocking fillers. They are so lightweight and little in physical size.

You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson by now about buying cheap on eBay but I was really hoping, based on other reviews, that this one would be different.

NLALM if I had the spare cash a Stihl or Shindy etc would be the first thing I'd buy.

Luckily I had my Kawasaki 750mm hedge trimmer to do the job with, albeit with a lot more effort and use of ladder.

GrowCutMow
02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I never expected much with mine, I agree with PaulG regarding the negative points, however I have made my money back on it by not using a ladder on both pruning and trimming jobs. I brought it thinking if I can use it every now and again and not as a primary tool it will do the job. Also agree with NLALM you get what you pay for.

NLALM
02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Thats the thing paul we would all have the best it comes down to dollars. Paul where did you get the kawasaki I'm after one with a 750mm blade and yep the stihl is bloody dear I think echo do one to but I like kawasaki engines

I can't stress to any of you guys enough any tool that keeps both feet on the ground is worth it no matter what the price. I fell off a ladder and I wasn't up very high I was pulling a vine off the side of a house the ladder slipped broke both wrists 4 months no work and im still suffering today and that was 5 years ago latest thing is they want to pull the plate and screws out of my left wrist but I can't afford a couple of months off. So if a grand is going to keep you on the ground it is a small price to pay.

PaulG
02-09-2011, 07:46 PM
That's a very good point mate but I don't know if any extended trimmer would have got through what I was doing today. I know the blades on my Kwaka need a sharpen but that Pittosporum is some decent stuff to cut through when it's a bit woody.

Re the Kawasaki - I got it from the local dealer here in Toowoomba, From memory it cost about $ 750 - $800. Very good unit.

I've used the big Stihl unit and I think they cut a bit better than the Kawasaki but at around $1100 to $1200 they're just too expensive.

This is the one I have - Kawasaki KHT750D

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/index.php?category=powerproducts&sub_category=11&product=180

If you shop from the USA at all they can be bought for around $280 to $300 + freight.

PaulG
02-09-2011, 07:59 PM
There's a few around Newcastle who should stock them according to the ByNorm website.

http://www.bynorm.com.au/kawasaki-dealer-locator/

Redeye
02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
the problem with all multi-tools is the weight, not so apparent when using the pole-saw but when doing extended hedging it's bloody murder, particularly with the larger cc cheapies. For long-pole hedging you want a LIGHT machine 25cc or under - I use a makita 2510 but it is only brushcutter length (which to my mind is all that's bearable after a short period of time)

Bluey
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
x 10 if your extending out to 4m it is hard work. They are all heavy. Some more so.

Fred's mowing
02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
the problem with all multi-tools is the weight, not so apparent when using the pole-saw but when doing extended hedging it's bloody murder, particularly with the larger cc cheapies. For long-pole hedging you want a LIGHT machine 25cc or under - I use a makita 2510 but it is only brushcutter length (which to my mind is all that's bearable after a short period of time)

Hi Redeye, have to agree/disagree here.
I find that the balance of the long hedgecutter outweighs the slight weight disadvantage.
Although as u said, the larger cc cheapies dont justify their weight. Also they're (from my experience) carp.
Also, dont get sucked into believing if u use a pole hedger on larger hedges, u dont need a ladder.
1, u wont be able to reach over anything wider than the blade, & 2, u wont be able to see what your doing with any degree of accuracy.
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Also, dont get sucked into believing if u use a pole hedger on larger hedges, u dont need a ladder.
1, u wont be able to reach over anything wider than the blade, & 2, u wont be able to see what your doing with any degree of accuracy.
Cheers Fred.

This exactly what I found today. I was still up and down the ladder a lot for the short length of time I was using the extended hedge trimmer. The small length of the blade was very frustrating when you're used to doing big sweeps with a traditional hedge trimmer. The top of the hedge I did today was 4 to 5 feet wide in parts.

Redeye
03-09-2011, 11:36 AM
too true fred - hence the ladder racks, if I can get close enough I run aluminium racks the full length of the ute which makes life easier, also carry one of those multi ladder combos.

PaulG
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Just been on the phone with the seller of these tools and let me say that they are not the easiest people to deal with regarding a refund.

I have to pay the return freight, which on a product that does not do the job it's supposed to and is faulty, I hardly think is fair and they will not refund to my bank account but only to my Paypal account which is an absolute PITA meaning I will lose more money when I try to get my money from Paypal.

Glenno is the seller KMATE the eBay mob and company your wife works for? Maybe she could help me out as I'm not even confident that I will get my refund after I send the goods back!

Dean did you have this much hassle when you took yours back for a refund?

Fred's mowing
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Fred had no trouble getting a refund, but it should be noted that it easy as we returned the goods ourselves.
Cheers Fred Fred Fred.

06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
LOL Dean now talks in the third person!
Dean / Fred have you seen Fight Club? Be careful not to cross into Tyler Durden territory.
LOL

63impala
06-09-2011, 07:17 PM
This is what And I Do means watch lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYhLmaopqiA

Woodsy
07-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Are any of the blades that come with this good for cutting extreme kikuyu? I have my first major clean up job which I started yesterday, and was approaching it by snipping the grass down to a shorter length before running the mower over the lawn. I was going to try the Yukon on the weekend when I go back to it, but I thought one of the blades that came with this might be the go. Any thoughts?

Stump
07-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Get yourself a Big Bob or slasher to make light work of that stuff when you can afford it Woodsy. Will do it in half the time your brushcutter will.

courty
07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Woodsy
Blades on grass are a PITA most of the time,just use the whippy attachment with string mate.

Bluey
07-09-2011, 05:44 PM
On really over grown lawns especially kik I use the edger attachment for my stihl kombi tool but like Courty mostly I just use the whippy. I can do a pretty fine edge with it.

fairdinkum
07-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Just been on the phone with the seller of these tools and let me say that they are not the easiest people to deal with regarding a refund.

I have to pay the return freight, which on a product that does not do the job it's supposed to and is faulty, I hardly think is fair and they will not refund to my bank account but only to my Paypal account which is an absolute PITA meaning I will lose more money when I try to get my money from Paypal.

Glenno is the seller KMATE the eBay mob and company your wife works for? Maybe she could help me out as I'm not even confident that I will get my refund after I send the goods back!

Dean did you have this much hassle when you took yours back for a refund? That's why you don't buy made in china rubbish from ebay drop shippers

MAGOO
07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I gave them a negative feedback on ebay ... as good where not in good order and the ear muffs etc I would not trust

Checky people emailed me asking to change my review from negative to positive.....

MAGOO
27-09-2011, 06:25 PM
today the hedges stop working while on a big job.....

I have used the hedger for about 8 hours and I checked the connections etc

Pulled the head where the sliding blades are and the teeth have been worn off

so far the pole saw has been good but the hedger is a big FAIL !!!

Time to try and get a new one

Craig

fairdinkum
27-09-2011, 06:39 PM
today the hedges stop working while on a big job.....

I have used the hedger for about 8 hours and I checked the connections etc

Pulled the head where the sliding blades are and the teeth have been worn off

so far the pole saw has been good but the hedger is a big FAIL !!!

Time to try and get a new one

Craig Get a REAL ONE!

imoww
27-09-2011, 06:53 PM
What is this Yukon multitool ? I cant find it on the net anywhere???

DavidS
27-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Go to their Facebook page and add your comments to other peoples.

imoww
27-09-2011, 07:18 PM
If its the hedger attachment. You could save your money
And get a feplacement from ebay. Ive seen them go cheap

PaulG
28-09-2011, 09:57 AM
What is this Yukon multitool ? I cant find it on the net anywhere???

Don't bother. It's seriously not worth it.

I'm still waiting for my refund and haven't left any eBay feedback for them yet. They'll probably contact me and ask me to change it when I do.

The guy on the phone seriously told me that they have never had a problem with one single unit. I mentioned to him a few I knew of personally and he started to change his tune.

David - interesting to hear they have a Facebook page. I'll be having a look.

BobC
28-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm reading this thread and beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable. I gave a review of the unit I bought some twelve months ago, which has worked and performed just fine, (still does), but it looks like some of the guys here have not had the same results with them.

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one, but I could only report on my own personal experience of the unit. There was no intention to mislead anyone.

Bob.

courty
28-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm reading this thread and beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable. I gave a review of the unit I bought some twelve months ago, which has worked and performed just fine, (still does), but it looks like some of the guys here have not had the same results with them.

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one, but I could only report on my own personal experience of the unit. There was no intention to mislead anyone.

Bob.

Don't be to concerned Bob,No one will hold it against you.
I bought one as well and touch wood,so far so good. Yes the hedging attachment is small and a bit toy like but mine seems to be cutting fine so far. The engine on mine starts easy and seems pretty strong. I will probably be buying a dedicated pole hedger soon anyway and the Yukon will be relegated to a clean up brush cutter which it seems fine at.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-09-2011, 05:09 PM
At the end of the day they are not a commercial unit. I have been told that concidering how many of them are sold there is only a very small number of them that customers have problems with.
If anyone wants to speak with me about them, then pm me but there is not much I can do. I'm already in enough trouble for mentioning that my wife works for one of the suppliers.

PaulG
28-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Trouble from who mate? Not the Mrs I hope?

The PM I was going to send was to see who your wife is; to see if she was the one who emailed me today as I wanted to say thanks. They have agreed to refund the purchase price on my multi-tool which I returned last week.

The woman from Kmate who emailed me and helped out was Kerri.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Trouble from who mate? Not the Mrs I hope?

The PM I was going to send was to see who your wife is; to see if she was the one who emailed me today as I wanted to say thanks. They have agreed to refund the purchase price on my multi-tool which I returned last week.

The woman from Kmate who emailed me and helped out was Kerri.

That would be my boss, um sorry wife.

cheers mate.

Fred's mowing
28-09-2011, 08:47 PM

Bob.
You told it the way you saw it, & thats how it should be.
You did'nt mislead anyone.
Thanx 4 taking the time to do the report.
Cheers Fred.
Cheers

Woodsy
12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I have experienced my first problem with this tool. The pole saw attachment will not engage and I can hear a loud "whirring" noise. It seems the shaft is not engaging with the drive in the saw attachment, and it appears it has worn the end of the drive spline.

I have got a fair bit of use out of the polesaw around home, and have used the bruchcutter with blade on some long grass, but the first time I go to use the polesaw on a paying job and it fails. Finished the job with ladder, loppers and hand saw.

At least I might gain some knowledge by pulling it apart to see how it all works!

I am thinking about the Makita whippy with pole saw attachment might be in my future.

Woodsy
05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Finally got around to pulling the chainsaw attachment apart. The gear inside the saw that runs off of the spline drive has stripped. Doesn't really show up in the photo. I am beginning my warranty claim today.

Chris B
05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
good luck with the claim.
was all that grease in there?
funny thing i learnt recently is that if there is too much grease in a gearbox like those then it can actually cause overheating and stuff the gearbox .. this is direct from a stihl workshop manual for a brushcutter. if i didnt read that i would of assumed you couldnt hurt it with extra grease but apparently thats killing it with kindness :)

xpc
07-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Can someone tell me if the attachments for these units are solid shafts with spline ends like they are on the dearer commerical units?

Thanks
David

Redeye
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
mine are; but their all different sized splines depending on brands- some are adaptable between brands, lots aren't

Woodsy
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Can someone tell me if the attachments for these units are solid shafts with spline ends like they are on the dearer commerical units?

Thanks
David

I can tell you the shaft is around 5mm and comes out of the tube it runs in. It has a torx or star shaped end.

I received an email from the supplier yesterday advising me that the replacement part is no in stock and will be despatched today. I'll either have it tomorrow or early next week. Not sure what is going to turn up, whether it will be the compete polesaw attachment or just a new drive unit. They don't want me to send the damaged part back. So far I have been happy with their responses.

imoww
14-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Guys. I bought one of these chinese crappy 4 in one multi tools a while back on ebay. It looks exactly like the yukon.
Problem after problem.
Save your money and pay for a known brand.
I was using the chinese thing the other day and the motor just stops every time i turned the trimmer sideways...

Redeye
15-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I've got a cheap pole saw that does that - kinda defeats the purpose!

Chris B
15-08-2012, 02:43 PM
would that be the fuel pickup not falling to the bottom of the tank where there is fuel to suck?

courty
15-08-2012, 02:52 PM
it's the luck of the draw with these things. Mine has been retired but I pulled it out the other day and she fired 3rd pull like always.I never had any engine troubles,they're just heavy and the attachments are ****enhausen.

BobC
15-08-2012, 08:29 PM
I was using the chinese thing the other day and the motor just stops every time i turned the trimmer sideways...

I had this problem a few months ago on the unit I bought a couple of years back.

The problem was not the fuel pick up. It was the two long screws that secure the carby to the side of the block. They had worked loose and when the unit was operated on its side the carby was falling away from the block, sucking in wayyyyy too much air!

Tightened the two screws and used a bit of Locktite. Problem cured.

Check out your unit. It may be the same problem.

imoww
24-08-2012, 02:33 PM
My bloody chinese hedge trimer pole keeps cutting out only
When I turn it sideways. It doesa high rev then cuts out.
Anyone know why?

imoww
24-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I had the same issue. ANd fixed it the same way. But now it still cuts out when the motor is turned sideways.
Ive checked the 2 screws and they are tight as a fish.

I had this problem a few months ago on the unit I bought a couple of years back.

The problem was not the fuel pick up. It was the two long screws that secure the carby to the side of the block. They had worked loose and when the unit was operated on its side the carby was falling away from the block, sucking in wayyyyy too much air!

Tightened the two screws and used a bit of Locktite. Problem cured.

Check out your unit. It may be the same problem.

imoww
05-10-2012, 06:21 PM
After doing a huge hedge today, The hedger attachment sheared the gears off inside the unit and is now Kuput!. I took the attachment apart and found the bolt that moves the main shaft had sheered off....

Redeye
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
happened to me with a cheap pole saw, the seller sent me new gears free of charge - worth asking

imoww
07-10-2012, 05:03 PM
The seller doesnt want to know me...
Ive bought a new one off ebay for $60...