PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of...

Andy B
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Just thought a thread dedicated to a day in the life of a lawnie might help newbies decide whether they want to pursue a lawn business or at least let them know more of what to expect.

Here's my day, I'm a part timer and have been operating a little over a year.

Dropped kids at school etc 9am.

Drove 20+min out of my way against my better judgment to do a quote on a job that was started by someone else while I was there.

Drove to meet with a client I'd met with before and was advised I've got the job of maintaining the property for the next 3 years. Showed me how to work water pumps etc.

Drove to local mower shop to find out clutch for my main brush cutter is on back order and hopefully it'll be there and ready to collect Saturday morning. (It's thursday and it's been there a since last thursday when it broke.)

Drove to first job of the day and spent 5-10min getting back up brushy started...

Drove to second job of the day a casual client who just wants a rough mow every now and then and was asked to do some pruning before starting.

While doing that job a passer by stopped me and asked me for a quote. Did quote when finished and booked job for next week. Some "local gardener" guy rang me and put the first smile on my face for the day.

Then drove to do quote in new area, thought quote was a set up or a waste of time but did it regardless.

Drove to do general clean up and mow nature strip at block of units.

Drove to pre-booked cash job to find no-one home and no money under mat. Left job un-done.

Rang client I'd put off day before due to be worried about time. Got answering machine so drove to premises and it was not attended. Did not knock as all windows had been covered in alfoil so must be night worker.

Headed home, was mentally fubar and took at least 5 goes to back down the driveway. Had another chat with some local gardener. :) (Thanks TLG we'll get there soon!)

Finished day a little after 4pm.

Unhitched, picked up kids and did shopping.

Received text from quote in new area asking when it can be done. Received text apologizing for mucking me around earlier today, (I submitted quote by text as requested and when he replied it was too much, I replied I knew someone was already doing it and never call me again for a quote.)

Didn't reach my target for the day, 3 customers had put me off till next week and 1 second timer said she'll call me when she's ready (PITA).

Some days it's just lawn after lawn with no quotes, other days it's few quotes thrown in as well but I try to do quotes on non work days.

Hopefully some others will share a day or two of theirs so you can get a feel for what you may expect???

South East Mowing
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey Andy, Ive got 4 or 5 W/snippers at home. If you ever really need 1 to get you by give me a buzz! They all start too!

Bluey
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Ok Andy here was my day

Up at 0600...cuppa and talk to wife while feeding various animals...checked emails and found 2 new request off web page had come in overnight. Printed those out for follow up. Did the the 3 S's (S***, shower and shave). Said goodbye to missus as she was off early. Then walked the dog. Had brekky and another coffee as I flashed up Gopher. Added the 2 new addresses so I could put them on the run sheet for the quotes. Rang both numbers to arrange quote. Both were ok with us going there without them so added them in for today.

Printed run sheet and then had a look at website stats and forum. Punched out 2 invoices that I should have sent last night. Back the vehicle and trailer out and had about 10 mins until offsider turns up. Let the vehicle warm up while I fueled all machines and checked gear to make sure I had everything for the day. Still had a couple of mins left till offsider got there so locked everything up at home and said goodbye to the dog after feeding fish.

Offsider turns up and we hit the road at 0800 sharp. First job is a quote about 10 mins away. Do that and drive to area we are working for the day. It is about a 15 min drive in morning traffic. Hit the first of the jobs for the day and we hop through them one after another as they are all reasonably close to each other. Mixture of some mows and garden maintenance job longest takes 1 hr.

Get two more phone calls during the morning for quotes both not far from the area we are working so wind them into today's run. Work until 1245 then do the two quotes then have lunch at HJ's We have 6 of our 11 jobs for the day done.

After lunch we are back into it and work through the jobs without problem. Mostly quick jobs but a couple with some extras requested. Working our way back towards home now. Finish last job at 1650 and hit the track for home.

Back at base and offsider is off home I am about to have a cuppa when wife reminds me we have a joint quote to do in neighbouring suburb so off we go to do that. Back home and have tea then paperwork over a wine and have a look at the forum. Get a phone call from a bloke in Perth who books in a days work at his Dad's place as a fathers day present and organizes ongoing work. Sometimes pays to answer that phone after hours. Watch a bit of telly then shower then had a look at this forum before going to bed.

That was my day

MowerRob
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Nothing - On holidays til Monday

Andy how many actual paid jobs did u end up doing?

Andy B
02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey Andy, Ive got 4 or 5 W/snippers at home. If you ever really need 1 to get you by give me a buzz! They all start too!

Thanks John!

Nothing - On holidays til Monday

Andy how many actual paid jobs did u end up doing?

3 paid jobs (pruning and lawn= 1), 3quotes,2 jobs re-scheduled and one meeting. Wish it was 7 jobs in 7 hours, but gotta think forward hey.

Andy B
02-09-2010, 11:31 PM
P.S. Thanks for sharing Bluey!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks John!

3 paid jobs (pruning and lawn= 1), 3quotes,2 jobs re-scheduled and one meeting. Wish it was 7 jobs in 7 hours, but gotta think forward hey.

I know what you mean about rescheduling Andy. I had nearly $700 of lawns to do this week and can't do them because the ground is so wet. I tried to do 1 of them today and had to wipper snip the backyard after doing 1 run around the outside. My mower got bogged down to the blade carrier. Another lawn I do is sitting under 2" of water. Like I have said before I am going to have to start looking at doing Aggi pipes for an extra income. Around Casey I would make a killing.

As far as my day went! Did the above mentioned lawn at 10.30am, did a quote for a fellow that called this morning, which I will be doing tomorrow for $120 spoke to another lady who called this morning and needs someone to maintain her lawns and gardens with a bit of handyman work thrown in. Had to turn it down though because it is about 5 acres and I don't have a ride on.Told her I would get back to her with the number of someone who could. Did a weeding job for an hour and 15mins came home and rang a bloke who bought an existing business about 3 months ago in regards to the above mentioned job. Then confirmed next days work. Went shopping for my sons 16th birthday and bought myself the new Slash CD. Back home crack a jimmy or more while I listen to said cd and now on forums.

South East Mowing
03-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey Cranbourne, Any time you get 5 acres and cant handle it Im up for it . Will travel for that:madnoel

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey Cranbourne, Any time you get 5 acres and cant handle it Im up for it . Will travel for that:madnoel

No worries John. I will ring this bloke tomorrow and see how he went. If it hasn't worked out I will let you know. I'm not sure if he is up to it or not. I get the feeling he might do it as a one off but not too interested in long term, which is what she is after.

Will keep you in mind though for now on as a lot of places in cranbourne south and clyde are big properties and any of them I get calls for I have to turn down if they are looking for lawnmowing.

GreenHaven
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
woke up about 5 got to my fist job about 6.30 (doctors surjury easier to do it first thing no houses around so i can do it when the sun comes up very nice view) greased mower and oil clutch got cranking finish that one about 7 ($35 dollar mow) and continued on smashing 13 more lawns aswell as a plumbago hedge at a house i mow for $40 took about 40 minutes for the hedge i didnt charge em to take away the greenwaste as it doesnt cost me anything. got home about 3ish with a wool bag from the hedge and half a wool bag of lawn clippings that go in the greenbin. not working today suposed to be sorting out tax stuff to give the accountant, figuring out some advertising for spring time and bottling up some home brew beers

Redeye
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
went to a funeral this morning (great start to my birthday),'tis raining so the bar will be opening any minute now...I normally work 4-7 hrs a day, this job's a lifestyle choice for me, done the 8hr stuff for too long

Andy B
03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
went to a funeral this morning (great start to my birthday),'tis raining so the bar will be opening any minute now...I normally work 4-7 hrs a day, this job's a lifestyle choice for me, done the 8hr stuff for too long

Happy Birthday Redeye!

simo
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Jumped out of bed SSS then brecki ,drop kids at school .Start mowing 9pm ,6 mows 1 pruning job back home 2:45 , go to shops grab somthing for dinner.. throw ball to dog and crack a coldie ..surf the web..crack another coldie..

brettly
06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
:)..when i eventually get a good customer base that would be my ideal day simo, id be cracking the bourbons instead tho..cheers.

The Local Gardener
07-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Just thought a thread dedicated to a day in the life of a lawnie might help newbies decide whether they want to pursue a lawn business or at least let them know more of what to expect.

Here's my day, I'm a part timer and have been operating a little over a year.

Dropped kids at school etc 9am.

Drove 20+min out of my way against my better judgment to do a quote on a job that was started by someone else while I was there.

Drove to meet with a client I'd met with before and was advised I've got the job of maintaining the property for the next 3 years. Showed me how to work water pumps etc.

Drove to local mower shop to find out clutch for my main brush cutter is on back order and hopefully it'll be there and ready to collect Saturday morning. (It's thursday and it's been there a since last thursday when it broke.)

Drove to first job of the day and spent 5-10min getting back up brushy started...

Drove to second job of the day a casual client who just wants a rough mow every now and then and was asked to do some pruning before starting.

While doing that job a passer by stopped me and asked me for a quote. Did quote when finished and booked job for next week. Some "local gardener" guy rang me and put the first smile on my face for the day.

Then drove to do quote in new area, thought quote was a set up or a waste of time but did it regardless.

Drove to do general clean up and mow nature strip at block of units.

Drove to pre-booked cash job to find no-one home and no money under mat. Left job un-done.

Rang client I'd put off day before due to be worried about time. Got answering machine so drove to premises and it was not attended. Did not knock as all windows had been covered in alfoil so must be night worker.

Headed home, was mentally fubar and took at least 5 goes to back down the driveway. Had another chat with some local gardener. :) (Thanks TLG we'll get there soon!)

Finished day a little after 4pm.

Unhitched, picked up kids and did shopping.

Received text from quote in new area asking when it can be done. Received text apologizing for mucking me around earlier today, (I submitted quote by text as requested and when he replied it was too much, I replied I knew someone was already doing it and never call me again for a quote.)

Didn't reach my target for the day, 3 customers had put me off till next week and 1 second timer said she'll call me when she's ready (PITA).

Some days it's just lawn after lawn with no quotes, other days it's few quotes thrown in as well but I try to do quotes on non work days.

Hopefully some others will share a day or two of theirs so you can get a feel for what you may expect???

Thanks brother, you made my day.... I had your day today.......

The Local Gardener
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Jumped out of bed SSS then brecki ,drop kids at school .Start mowing 9pm ,6 mows 1 pruning job back home 2:45 , go to shops grab somthing for dinner.. throw ball to dog and crack a coldie ..surf the web..crack another coldie..

simo that is brilliant

geoff
07-09-2010, 09:39 PM
well i reckon i can beat that..started at 8 am done 6 lawns then went to the hospital to met my brand new grandson ( very first one ) to see a new born of your own family just 30 mins after being born was sensational; bloody sensational i have never felt so great...I turned the phone on with 6 messages for quotes but just couldn't be bothered as i just wanted to hug my beautiful grandson all afternoon..best of the best Ive never been so happy..its beautiful to have your own kids but to be a grand pa its cool

geoff1969
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
well i reckon i can beat that..started at 8 am done 6 lawns then went to the hospital to met my brand new grandson ( very first one ) to see a new born of your own family just 30 mins after being born was sensational; bloody sensational i have never felt so great...I turned the phone on with 6 messages for quotes but just couldn't be bothered as i just wanted to hug my beautiful grandson all afternoon..best of the best Ive never been so happy..its beautiful to have your own kids but to be a grand pa its cool

well done geoff and congradulations ...:and a big welcome to your grandson ....

Bluey
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey well done Grandpa

Stripes
08-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Congrats on the grandson Geoff!

Redlandsguy
08-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Simmo, I'm just wondering which of the S's you left out! I remember it as being S,S,S,S & S. For yor sake I'm hoping it was the shave and shampoo.

The Local Gardener
08-09-2010, 06:44 PM

congrats that is the most wonderful news

Scooby Steve
08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
A day in the life of a gardener continued...

8.00 am leave home to go to first job.

8.10 arrive at first job regular ride-on mowing job done 3 weekly $198.

10.10 Leave for home to have morning tea.

10.20 Arrive home, unload ride-on, put in a ladder and the self- propelled, make a coffee and grap a piece of fruit.

10.40 Leave for next job

10.45 Start at the next job (body corp) mixture of lawns, hedging work and path sweep done 3 weekly $150

12.15 About to leave this job when a pita from one of the units comes out and starts telling me i shouldn't visit so often as it doesn't need doing and the body corp have no money. I tell her to take it up with the property manager and we will go from there. Third time she has mentioned it.

12.20 Take off on my way to the next job which is around the corner from home.

12.30 Arrive at the next job. Its a milkbar, mowing and edging every 3 weeks with the odd bit of spraying done when needed $45.

1.05 Leave to go and have lunch.

1.06 Get home for lunch, leftovers from last nights meal get put in a sandwich and eaten.

1.30 Normally on this day i would finish at this time, but i have some work overdue because of the rain so i decide to go out to start a garden tidy up.

1.40 Arrive at the job and start, lots of hedge trimming work. Nice lady offers me a drink. Its a garden tidy up, but no weeding usually done 4 times a year $292.50 including tip fee.

4.10 Finish job, its too late to take the cuttings to the tip so i head home.

4.20 Arrive home go inside and get a drink.

4.25 Unload trailer and put cuttings and branches etc in the bins i have at home, because i'll be too busy tomorrow to make it too the tip.

4.40 Finish unloading go inside to do some book work and to print out tomorrows work.

5.00 Have to do some accounts for previous months work, get through 5 customers when i get bored and move on to other things.

Scooby Steve
08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
A day in the life of a gardener continued...

8.00 am leave home to go to first job.

8.10 arrive at first job regular ride-on mowing job done 3 weekly $198.

10.10 Leave for home to have morning tea.

10.20 Arrive home, unload ride-on, put in a ladder and the self- propelled, make a coffee and grap a piece of fruit.

10.35 Leave for next job

10.45 Start at the next job (body corp) mixture of lawns, hedging work and path sweep done 3 weekly $150

12.15 About to leave this job when a pita from one of the units comes out and starts telling me i shouldn't visit so often as it doesn't need doing and the body corp have no money. I tell her to take it up with the property manager and we will go from there. Third time she has mentioned it.

12.20 Take off on my way to the next job which is around the corner from home.

12.30 Arrive at the next job. Its a milkbar, mowing and edging every 3 weeks with the odd bit of spraying done when needed $45.

1.05 Leave to go and have lunch.

1.06 Get home for lunch, leftovers from last nights meal get put in a sandwich and eaten.

1.30 Normally on this day i would finish at this time, but i have some work overdue because of the rain so i decide to go out to start a garden tidy up.

1.40 Arrive at the job and start, lots of hedge trimming work. Nice lady offers me a drink. Its a garden tidy up, but no weeding usually done 4 times a year $292.50 including tip fee.

4.10 Finish job, its too late to take the cuttings to the tip so i head home.

4.20 Arrive home go inside and get a drink.

4.25 Unload trailer and put cuttings and branches etc in the bins i have at home, because i'll be too busy tomorrow to make it too the tip.

4.40 Finish unloading go inside to do some book work and to print out tomorrows work.

5.00 Have to do some accounts for previous months work, get through 5 customers when i get bored and move on to other things.

Bluey
08-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Man you work hard Scooby. You did 2 days work in one and made $1300 to boot

Scooby Steve
08-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Not that good but yeah it was a full on day, have been caught out before going too hard too often and running myself into the ground, have always had a tendency to push the boundaries, now that i'm getting older its starting to catch up so i cant go that hard everyday anymore. But every now and again i'll push it and overbook or over work.

Scooby Steve
08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Lol Bluey just seen the double post. Geez i have been working hard. There is a job for ya admin delete one of em can you when you get time. For some reason the second one didn't show up on my screen when i posted the reply to ya. Talk about ground hog day, told you this work can become repetitive (spelling?). You can keep the extra days work just give me the $1300

starmow
08-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Congrats on the grandson Geoff! .:welcome:welcome

geoff
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
thanks everyone..still floating and was even polite to a pita customer thats was such as ***** ..worked my ass off all day bringing her sh#t garden up to measure and she still complained ..." bit rough and ready # she said , well its was always going to be since you haven't touched for years , anyway i didn't care just said OK and went and saw my little boy again today...boy am I so lucky to meet this little treasure ....
Even after twenty years I still get these pitas past my guard , maybe i had an excuse but normally i can pick em,,but never mind theres better things in life....

Fred's mowing
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Onya Gramps:D.
Cheers Dean.

The Local Gardener
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Not that good but yeah it was a full on day, have been caught out before going too hard too often and running myself into the ground, have always had a tendency to push the boundaries, now that i'm getting older its starting to catch up so i cant go that hard everyday anymore. But every now and again i'll push it and overbook or over work.

thus me being home today, my body has shut down......

courty
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Congrats on the Grandson Geoff. Time to do all the things with him you couldn't do with your kids because you were to busy working,well thats what my oldies say when I whinge that they never took me here or there like they do with my daughter;)

This was yesterday for me
Up at 7am for shower and brekky

8.15 drop daughter at school then shoot around to the oldies to pick up my trailer(no where at home to leave it safely and the olds are only 5 mins from home)Old man decide's to join me for the day,he's just retired and mums happy to get rid of him for the day:laughing:

8.30 Regular mow and edge with a small hedge trim,large block but knock it over quick with the old boys help

9.20 Another regular mow and edge 2 blocks away from the last. Drops some more leaflets in the street (picked up another regular off these this morning)

10.30 Mow and edge at my neighbors house. Whilst we're there she asks us to clean up a large bank of golden canes and remove a large Duranta in the front yard.

1.00 Off to the tip as trailer is chockas,minimum tip fee has gone from $9 to $16 since last visit

1.45 drop off the trailer and the old boy,have some lunch with the oldies.

3.00 pick up daughter from school and head home

Not a bad life this lawnie caper

Scooby Steve
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
thus me being home today, my body has shut down......

Whats up Local G anything serious?

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I could describe my whole day but 3 days of nice weather and its like the end of spring. The quotes keep coming in and I'm going like a cut cat trying to catch up on lawns I haven't been able to do as well as trying to keep up with the others. Throw in 3 weeding jobs for the last 4 days and it all seems too hard to type out the whole day. Started at 8 finished at 6. Good money, do the same tomorrow.
Dam my arms hurt at the moment.

Why is it that weeding jobs seem to make you feel so sore and tired?

63impala
10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I dont weed to tall for that just spray....NUKE EM ALL lol

Andy B
10-09-2010, 01:43 PM
No time for fishing with days like that Scooby!

Yesterday for me...

Two units to start the day after dropping the kids off, then off to the mower shop. Then off to a regular who I keep telling their lawn is on steroids, I do it every 3 weeks and no exaggeration most of the back has been half way up my shin on the last two visits!

Then eat in the car, stop for fuel and visit macca's for the loo and get a coffee. Couldn't count how many lawnie's I saw in those 10 minutes, all different shapes and sizes, from one fella parked opposite me with a truck and full sized trailer to one fella with a little 6x4.

Then off to do a new clients place, totally stuffed up when quoting it by not standing my ground... she'd said that she would mow it first and she wanted a quote for monthly service... then after I gave price for monthly she asked me to start whenever I could and stupidly I checked my diary instead of saying to call me when it's mowed, and then giving her an initial price. Stupid Stupid Stupid, but knocked it over and will gradually improve it over summer with each visit.

Then off for a meet and greet with a couple, got the low down including the plan for the garden over the next few years etc, probably spent greater part of an hour with them.

Then off to do another first timer, didn't stuff this one and was pretty happy with job and payment was where it was supposed to be.

Had more time to fill but not enough for a big job or an out of way job, scanned my upcoming bookings and found one that was due, just two nature strips right near school so did that and owner came home and paid cash instead of DD.

Picked kids up and another parent requested a quote for this morning.

Can't wait for tomorrow and good weather, might break my record for number of lawns!

courty
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
No time for fishing with days like that Scooby!

Yesterday for me...

Two units to start the day after dropping the kids off, then off to the mower shop. Then off to a regular who I keep telling their lawn is on steroids, I do it every 3 weeks and no exaggeration most of the back has been half way up my shin on the last two visits!

Then eat in the car, stop for fuel and visit macca's for the loo and get a coffee. Couldn't count how many lawnie's I saw in those 10 minutes, all different shapes and sizes, from one fella parked opposite me with a truck and full sized trailer to one fella with a little 6x4.
Then off to do a new clients place, totally stuffed up when quoting it by not standing my ground... she'd said that she would mow it first and she wanted a quote for monthly service... then after I gave price for monthly she asked me to start whenever I could and stupidly I checked my diary instead of saying to call me when it's mowed, and then giving her an initial price. Stupid Stupid Stupid, but knocked it over and will gradually improve it over summer with each visit.

Then off for a meet and greet with a couple, got the low down including the plan for the garden over the next few years etc, probably spent greater part of an hour with them.

Then off to do another first timer, didn't stuff this one and was pretty happy with job and payment was where it was supposed to be.

Had more time to fill but not enough for a big job or an out of way job, scanned my upcoming bookings and found one that was due, just two nature strips right near school so did that and owner came home and paid cash instead of DD.

Picked kids up and another parent requested a quote for this morning.

Can't wait for tomorrow and good weather, might break my record for number of lawns!

Andy
Same for me yesterday,I think I counted 7 indies(proper set ups not a mower in a box trailer) 3 different jimbos, a VIP and a James. All within two suburbs of where I live.

Stripes
10-09-2010, 02:04 PM
My day...

Dropped my son off at school then went to the only servo around here with normal unleaded to fill up my fuel drums, the ute was still full from Monday. Off to my first lawn which was a cylinder mower job. Knocked it off quickly and got my paid. Starting driving to the next job and noticed the black clouds brewing in the distance, decided to go to a different job that I had to fertilise so I could get that done before the rain came. 10 minute drive and it started to sprinkle as I got there. Halfway through mowing it started raining heav'ish there out the fert and blew it off as it started to come down. Drove to my next job which wasn't really needing a mow, so gave them a quote to dethatch instead. Went and grabbed some morning tea and checked out another job opposite the shops as I grabbed my food. Decided to give that job another week as well, but was asked to trim the hedges soon. Yuk. Cut the next job which is a rotary mow. Nothing special but knocked it over quickly, then went and cut my last cylinder mown lawn which came up beautiful. Home at 1.30. Ordered some top dressing and turf for a job next week. Done.
Still buggered from yesterday and can't really be bothered doing anything. I have to work tomorrow doing a small irrigation install before turfing next week.

geoff1969
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Couldn't count how many lawnie's I saw in those 10 minutes, all different shapes and sizes, from one fella parked opposite me with a truck and full sized trailer to one fella with a little 6x4.

there coming from every where this week 2 local papers =14 advertising - local shops 6 different flyers stuck on notice board one even states gardening @ 15 per hour mowing @ 20 per hour

Bluey
10-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Don't worry fellas with the way the grass is growing there will be more than enough work to go around. We need a week of sunshine now and you will be taking your phones of the hook.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
12-09-2010, 07:51 PM
A day in the life of a lawnie on a Sunday. I know its supposed to be about working days but I thought I would throw in a day off.

Woke up about 8.00am got out of bed at 9.00 am had coffee and got organised then me and Mrs cranbourne went to Berwick market.

Spent about an hour having a look around and something to eat.

BTW Bluey or anyone else that's interested there is a bloke there that has a lot of old armed forces,military and emergency services badges and paraphernalia that I always have a look at. I don't know if anyone is interested but if there is anything that you specifically would like let me know and I will see what he has.

Anyway then went to bunnings to get a few things, mainly some stainless wire and a few bits and pieces to straighten up a weeping mulberry tree I have growing in an old half wine barrel. But ended up buying some new plants: Protea bronze haze and Rhodanthe paper daisies. Looked at some hoes and a spray pack for selective poisons but couldn't decide which ones to buy so will do that later.

Got home about 2.00pm ( I spend too much time at bunnings)
Made up rig to pull the mulberry tree into a more upright position and then to my wife's horror got the chainsaw out and went all the way round the tree cutting it back to an umbrella. It's branches were all the way down to the ground. Then I went around with pruners and tidied it up. Planted my new protea mowed the lawn,cleaned up a few things here and there and I almost forgot I also bought a little bark bird house which I hung under the umbrella of the mulberry. We have had a pair of tiny wild finches hanging around our house for quite a while now so I thought I might try and encourage them to nest here.

Now I am going to eat dinner and then go to a mates place to watch the F1's on his big screen tonight. Only doing a few lawns tomorrow then helping another mate move into his new house.

ian
12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
yes glenn i think most of us know about the bunnings time warp go in there for 5 minutes to grab 1 thing and when you leave you find it's 2 hours later

Wattle GC
13-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Agghhh Bunnings..The ultimate mans handbag shop..

Andy B
13-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I was planning a quick in and out of bunnings on sunday morning after loosing one pair of safety sunnies and breaking another pair. Couldn't do it hey, picked the only pair on the rack without a bar code so they held me up cause there wasn't another pair the same with a bar code. 15 minutes later and I thought about looking at some other stuff at least 5 times.... buggers. :)

Wattle GC
13-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I was planning a quick in and out of bunnings on sunday morning after loosing one pair of safety sunnies and breaking another pair. Couldn't do it hey, picked the only pair on the rack without a bar code so they held me up cause there wasn't another pair the same with a bar code. 15 minutes later and I thought about looking at some other stuff at least 5 times.... buggers. :)

Keep stock..I buy 5 pairs at a time same with ear plugs,garden gloves etc.Dont worry you will use and loose them soon enough..Some safety stores are cheaper than bunnings

NLALM
13-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Andy check out ebay for cheap safty glasses I buy 10 pair at a time for about fifty bucks.Cranbourne I fell asleep just before the race started I hate that I think it is replayed tomorrow night on one.

ian
13-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Andy if your in bayswater have a look at f.js on mt. hwy i buy i think there called cobra safety glasses there at about $5 each so far they have lasted a lot longer than the $20 + glasses i was getting at bunnings

courty
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Not an overly busy day today,but an enjoyable and profitable one,good weather and good clients.

Drop daughter to school then grab a coffee

First lawn at 9am, mow,edge and fertilize
second lawn at 10.10am, same as the last
third lawn at 11am, same as last 2

12pm New client,very nice couple,not long moved in and want a garden tidy up.
3hrs dead heading birds of paradise,trimming murraya's, tidying up palms etc and mow their small lawn. Very happy with the result.
The view from the office this arvo :cool:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/work%20pics/photo-2.jpg

Head to the tip,stop at the oldies on the way home to pick up my daughter,have a yak and a beer with the old man.
5pm Quote a mulching job with some weed spraying and a little edge forming(prolly 1/2 days work all up) client agrees straight away(no it wasn't cheap:p )
Head home in love with my new career.