PDA

View Full Version : 2Stroke theory

Fred's mowing
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
On the tree forum, suggestion to turn off machine by using the choke b4 using the stop button.
Theory is by doing this u will coat the cylinder walls with a little extra lube which will help start up & extend the longevity of the motor.
Opinions?????
Cheers Dean.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
03-09-2010, 12:56 AM
On the tree forum, suggestion to turn off machine by using the choke b4 using the stop button.
Theory is by doing this u will coat the cylinder walls with a little extra lube which will help start up & extend the longevity of the motor.
Opinions?????
Cheers Dean.

If it is correct would it really make that much difference. I think it would depend on frequency of use as well

Wattle GC
03-09-2010, 08:55 AM
This is an old school train of thought and in the old days you would give an engine a quick rev before you shut it down and the therory was it would send oil around the engine ready for the next start..

These days with engine , fuel and oil techonology this is not necessary and in some older two strokes if you use the choke to stop the engine all you do is fowl the plug and make it harder to start next time.. The operation of a choke is to limmit air to the engine to create a higher fuel mixture or richer fuel mix to help start cold engines and you need a good clean spark to help ignition so choking the engine can create fowled plugs ..Just hit the stop button.

Bluey
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I actually did this for a couple of days when my stihl kombi tool stop switch **** itself. Found it caused a leak of fuel back into the air cleaner making it harder to start. Got the switch fixed pretty quick.

MOWON
09-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Opinions?????
Cheers Dean.

I used the choke to stop my Dolmar Trimmer for about 3 months after the stop button stuffed up . Made no difference to starting.

But I de- coke and clean plugs as routine maintenance and my Stihl, Tanaka, Dolmar don't give me much grief.

Too many people run 2/strokes at just above idle or a bit more.
2/s are designed to rev high.
This prevents excessive smoke and a good quaility machine with regular maintenace should last years.
JUST USE THE OFF SWITCH:i dunno::i dunno::i dunno: