PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KBL27A Brushie

Redlandsguy
18-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guys, need some help with this particular motor. I need to replace the pulley starter assembly. This is a small aluminum part with a couple of pawls in it that catches the starter cam when you pull the rope. It is threaded onto the end of the drive shaft. My trouble is to unscrew it I need to hold the drive shaft. I assume there is a locking mechanism or a place where you put a rod or something to lock it but I am old and blind and can't for the life of me see it anywhere. I'm sure it will be a simple bit, but at the moment I am stumped.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor
Try a Local Bloke

Stripes
18-09-2010, 12:34 PM
You should be able to lock the drive shaft at the head. There should be a spot where you can slip a rod or something like that through to stop the shaft from moving. You may have to slowly move the head until the hole lines up, then slip your rod in and you should be right.

Sandgroper
18-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I hope you can get the parts you need,,a friend tried the other month and had to order something online from America, i sent him a starter from my Kawa 26 but never fitted properly.

Redeye
18-09-2010, 12:54 PM
parts list http://www.bynorm.com.au/images/uploaded/File/kawasaki/Power_Products/KBL27A.pdf
I was given one the other day which needs a new drum(stripped splines) which will be another back-up. These are the best whippy I've ever used, bar none.

Redlandsguy
18-09-2010, 01:18 PM
I've got the part, just need to be able to fit it. The place has them in stock, no probs.

63impala
18-09-2010, 04:37 PM
If in dout bring in the Radlle gun should take care of bussiness..

Chris B
18-09-2010, 05:57 PM
One way to lock the shaft is to take out the spark plug and put starter rope (or similar) into the cylinder. The piston wont be able to move so it locks the motor allowing nut to be undone.

Anjaryan
18-09-2010, 10:52 PM
One way to lock the shaft is to take out the spark plug and put starter rope (or similar) into the cylinder. The piston wont be able to move so it locks the motor allowing nut to be undone.

I might be missing something, how do you get it out or move it after hes fitted the part, can yhou turn the motor backwards?

Im not a mechanic!!!:newbie

Chris B
19-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I might be missing something, how do you get it out or move it after hes fitted the part, can yhou turn the motor backwards?

Im not a mechanic!!!:newbie

You just pull the cord out through the spark plug hole... learnt that from you tube and the mower shop mentioned it also. I have done it once while changing a starter cord. search "starter cord repair" or something similiar on youtube and there are heaps of good videos (heaps of bad ones too!) You can also purchase something that you screw into the spark plug hole that stops the piston moving i think seems strange but it works

Chris B
19-09-2010, 12:30 AM
heres one video i just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXW4xEwagso

Redlandsguy
19-09-2010, 06:49 AM
I somehow got it off, not sure what locked it at the time but there must be a more professional way then stuffing the cylinder full of starter rope.

Chris B
19-09-2010, 09:07 AM
if you want the professional way this is the piston stop tool i mentioned.. but starter rope worked well for me :D

gcsmow
20-09-2010, 10:04 PM
if you want the professional way this is the piston stop tool i mentioned.. but starter rope worked well for me :D

If you were handy with a lathe you could knock one of those up.

Chris B
21-09-2010, 09:16 AM
If you were handy with a lathe you could knock one of those up.

i think i read ppl make them with bolts and old spark plugs too. When i was looking for the pic to post i stumbled across another forum and most ppl were saying just to use the rope as pistons have been damaged using the tool. I'm no mechanic but happy to have a crack if it saves me paying someone else to do it!

Redeye
21-09-2010, 12:28 PM
couldn't you take off the muffler & stick a bit of dowel or something in the exhaust port?

GreenHaven
21-09-2010, 01:01 PM
ive used the starter rope method befor works good and dont have to buy another tool no risk of scratching the bore or damaging the piston its used in the small engine repair manuals ive got here

Andy B
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, need some help with this particular motor. I need to replace the pulley starter assembly. This is a small aluminum part with a couple of pawls in it that catches the starter cam when you pull the rope. It is threaded onto the end of the drive shaft. My trouble is to unscrew it I need to hold the drive shaft. I assume there is a locking mechanism or a place where you put a rod or something to lock it but I am old and blind and can't for the life of me see it anywhere. I'm sure it will be a simple bit, but at the moment I am stumped.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor
Try a Local Bloke

I've got a kbl27c which I assume is the same. There's a locking mechanism beside the grease bolt on the gear assembly. It's a small hole that goes straight down (90 degrees to the bolt), they probably gave you a little rod to use. Hope it does what you want it to, and it holds or your arm is long enough.