PDA

View Full Version : Tanaka

Mick
24-09-2010, 11:02 PM
So, Im being lazy and not searching... Footies been on and Im starting to squint!

What are your thoughts on Tanaka hedge trimmers?
Seems I have to get a hegder of some kind and I have to say, I really dont know bugger all about them.
I hear double sided blade is the go but this isnt going to be used very often.

Im not one to mess around with buying rubbish machinery and nearest dealer carries Tanaka. He looks after me so I would like to return the favour. Are Tanaka's comfy to use, ergonomic etc?

Thoughts....

At least I didnt ask, "which hedge trimmer is best?"

ian
25-09-2010, 12:30 AM
i use a tanaka can't remember which one double sided blades i'm very happy with it

Stripes
25-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I had a Tanaka hedger and it was very good. Comfortable to use and did a nice job. I bought an Echo when the Tanaka died but I thought the Tanaka was better. A little heavier than the Echo but it did not vibrate like the Echo does.

Mick
25-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Its sounding promising!
I dont have time to mess around looking at other types and like I said, the dealer I'd get if from looks after and we get along very well. Think I might just take a punt and go Tanaka. I'll ask his opinion as well.

I wont be doing a lot but its one of those things that is very handy to have. I wouldnt mind doing a hedge here at home and no hedger has put me off doing that.

Anyway, is there anything else I should know?

MowerRob
25-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Had my Tanaka for 5 years now great machine light to use. Would buy another 1 if this ever died.

Mick
25-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Im liking the twish handle idea but how mach CC's should I go considering it wont be used on anything major, its not something Im going to promote but have there if required.

Im thinking the 210S. 22cc, 26" bar, 5kg, twist handle etc?????

63impala
25-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I love the twist handle and they are so easy to start yes easier than my stihls and light after holding my stihl hedgers the tanaka just fells like a toy 5.0kg to my stihl is around 7.0+ kg with gas...81r

South East Mowing
25-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Ive got a tanaka-its the smallest lightest one as i use the shindy mostly . Would recommend it - great to start just like my Tanaka blowers i have and will go for Tanaka again

Scooby Steve
25-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Had mine for 12 years only just starting to give trouble now i think its worn out lol, will cut through some really heavy thick stuff while still having enough finese for diasomas etc, really light and i have found it a fantastic hedger, only issue was the fuel tank leaking but thats no drama, buy with confidence.

Mick
25-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks a heap guys! Not often I ask about "what should I get," but, this was something I really didnt know much about! Last time I shaped a Metrosideros (spellin?)/NZ Xmas Bush was back in about 1992 and that was with hand sheers! PITA!
Hedges Im looking at are Murrayas. Bugger all but customer is pretty fussy about them!

Anyway... I knew Tanaka make good products but its always a good idea to get recommendations from users!
Cheers and looks like I can buy with confidence!

Mick
28-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, how things can change...
Went into buy the Tanaka ($640) and he straight away put me onto Bushranger...
http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bushranger/ht23.html
$575 out the door.
He told me its basically a http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/maruyama/hedge_trimmers.html and Maruyama make good stuff for other companies. Anyway, it worked well cutting my time with shears (45min) to about 10mins. Took longer to clean up than to actually cut.

One thing I wasnt prepared for was how much it flogged my arms holding it out away from body, doing the top. Man, Im such a pussy!

It wont be used very often so Im happy.
One thing I noticed is that the rotating handle seems much more solid than the Tanaka.

63impala
28-09-2010, 04:25 PM
YOU SOLD OUT MAN SHOULD HAVE TANAKA...iAM WAITHING FOR THE DAY I CUT OF A FINGER IT WONT BE A GOOD DAY HOPE ITS NOT MY TRIGER FINGER BUT IT PROBLEY WILL WITCH S@X:dance:dance:dance

Redeye
28-09-2010, 07:16 PM
thats good to know, haven't owned a Maruyama product but I'd imagine their commercial quality, probably better than euro

Mick
28-09-2010, 11:25 PM
From what I was told, Maruyama are one of the biggest small engine manufactures out there. There Japanese and do stuff for Kawi, Shindiawa and more with kind of like a swap parts sort of arrangement, or something? I dunno, it all sounded pretty complicated! Kind of like Echo owning Shindiawa now and Echo being owned buy someone else and so on!

I bought this Bushranger because it had same specs as Tanaka but cheaper. Like I said, it wont be used very often so not worth the extra cost. If we were talking trimmers it would be a different story as they get used so often, and hard! Much more research and I would go with a better known brand. Ive been running Kawi trimmers for years but with the changes, I would have to look around and see what else is out there. Tanaka and Husky would definitely be on that list but Shindiawa would be down the list now due to them now being owned by Echo! All this corporate buy outs can really make a mess of a great product! Kawi have had to make changes due to US EPA laws and in doing so have downgraded, from what I hear anyway!

gcsmow
29-09-2010, 08:42 AM
It might be too late now but you should have got a split shaft w-snipper with an articulating pole hedge trimmer attachment either a Shindaiwa, Echo or another Japanese brand. That way you don't need to carry a step ladder with you (not very often anyway) and it can be used as a w-snipper when you're not trimming hedges.

That's what I use, it has copped an absolute flogging and still goes well.
Glenn

gcsmow
29-09-2010, 08:47 AM
thats good to know, haven't owned a Maruyama product but I'd imagine their commercial quality, probably better than euro

My wife is Japanese and she is more reliable, hard working, honest and gives me less problems compared to the European stuff.

MOWON
30-09-2010, 12:17 PM
My wife is Japanese and she is more reliable, hard working, honest and gives me less problems compared to the European stuff.

I used to hang out with this German bird.
Like German machines she was tough , rugged and easy on the eye.
But no humour. When she overheated she lost the plot.

A Japanese machine is like a Japanese woman, runs smoothly, very feminine, hard working and most important thing of all, gives total satisfaction to the user.
The tolerences are far superior, unlike this new Chinese stuff which reminds me of a worm in a bucket.Therefore lasts a year or so with contractors.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Wattle GC
30-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Sounds like the Datsun owners club

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
30-10-2010, 10:13 AM
G'day Mick

Hows that bushranger going. I'm having at good look at them at the moment. Would be good to get some feed back from someone that is using one.

cheers cranbourne

Mick
30-10-2010, 01:22 PM
G'day Mick

Hows that bushranger going. I'm having at good look at them at the moment. Would be good to get some feed back from someone that is using one.

cheers cranbourne

Cant really tell you much mate! Ive only used it once and it worked fine. It was first time I'd used any hedger so cant compare to anything either.
Sorry cant be more help but I was happy when I did use it.

If you live up here I'd let you to try out!

63impala
30-10-2010, 02:48 PM
How Karles mowers in burleigh a brand new stihl shop opeend down the road every time I go in to karles mower its a gohst town and know with a Stihl down the road the for sure will be out of bussiness..

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Cant really tell you much mate! Ive only used it once and it worked fine. It was first time I'd used any hedger so cant compare to anything either.
Sorry cant be more help but I was happy when I did use it.

If you live up here I'd let you to try out!

No worries Mick. They are very light. I had a look at a honda but it weighed that much I wouldn't last 10 min tring to hedge with it although it had a 30" blade on it. I reckon the stihls are tooo over priced and still haven't checked out the tanakas yet.
Found out from a bloke at bunnings that they can order in a Kaaz hedger which aparently they have had some great feedback from another contractor for about $550