PDA

View Full Version : New Engine, Briggs or Honda

graeme
26-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, just picked up a near new Masport Mulcher Mower, the engine is dead, I lifted the head and the bore is pristine but for a dirty great gouge on the right hand side, I think it may have a broken ring. Anyway I need a new engine, I'm tossing up between an 825 series OHV Briggs I/C $315.00, and a GSV190 Honda $380.00. Anybody had experience with either of these two engines? good or bad.

Cheers
Graeme

geoff1969
26-09-2010, 06:54 PM
proberly get shot down for it ...but i would go the briggs from my limited experience the honda revs to low and by uping the revs thay dont like it , ive got the brigs on my masport mulcher and masport utility mower thay both start with in 3 pulls on the cord and run excellent all day everyday and the higher revs fron the briggs even when not under load is better for mulching = orginaly the mulcher did have the honda before it **** its self but now with the briggs = excellent

ian
26-09-2010, 06:58 PM
i think you should look at the kawa fj180v

geoff1969
26-09-2010, 07:04 PM
the kawa motors will be my next upgrades ian ....

danz
26-09-2010, 07:22 PM
I have a few hondas now, but i did start out with a Briggsy on a s/p MTD and it copped a flogging with clean ups and i still have it today s/p died early on but that motor is tops ..... briggs would be a good partner for a masport mulcher

graeme
26-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks, I had forgoten about the Kawa, does anyone know what they cost?

Cheers
Graeme

Redeye
26-09-2010, 08:07 PM
they're not cheap! they are also heavy, I've got one on my bushranger self propelled but for push mowers I'd stick with the briggs - forget honda's

RSM-Gazza
26-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Humm,

Re the Honda reving toooo low (Geoff 1969),

I know how to adjust the max rev, re prior to choke activation and set it at that, etc.
But I always feel that it could or should rev more to satisfy me personally.
I've two GXV's iron sleeved units, but feel the rev's could be 5 to 8% higher.

Probaly just me as I'm used to my domestic 2Stroke Victa revving it's ar*e off prior to this wonderful lifstyle change.

geoff
26-09-2010, 09:58 PM
new briggs engines now a day are as good as Honda..they have developed a good motor..the new rover self propelled $850 by the way has a gear box bullet proof so i am advised....the briggs has more revs and get up go than the p1ss weak honda

Andy B
27-09-2010, 03:32 PM
new briggs engines now a day are as good as Honda..they have developed a good motor..the new rover self propelled $850 by the way has a gear box bullet proof so i am advised....the briggs has more revs and get up go than the p1ss weak honda

sorry to interupt, what size is that? I looked at a 20inch but it was a grand?

geoff
27-09-2010, 07:13 PM
thats right andy but for good contractors who support their dealer u can get it cheaper......worth a crack mate

graeme
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the feed back, I have just ordered a new Briggs 850 series, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-Briggs-Stratton-6HP-OHV-Lawn-Mower-Engine-/270643155561?pt=AU_Lawnmowers&hash=item3f0396d269 I'll let you know how it goes.

Graeme

graeme
09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi all, the new motor arrived on Thursday, I installed it on the mower put in oil and fuel, pulled the starter once and hey presto away she went. It's very quiet, smooth and always starts in one pull, oh and heaps of grunt too. I didn't weigh the two motors but I can't feel any difference in weight to the side valve engine, it has a bigger fuel tank, iron bore, an air cleaner element that seals properly and better finish than I've seen on a Briggs engine before, no overspray all over the muffler carb etc. Early days but so far very happy with it.

Graeme

Bluey
09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks good mate. If it is not rude how much did it cost all up for the change over. Keep us posted on it's performance. Great to see the old mower revitalised. Thanks for posting this.

graeme
09-10-2010, 08:44 PM
$315.00 for the motor + $25.00 post, I'll have to get a new throttle cable as the old one is about 30mm too short, so all up it will come to about $360.00, I wouldn't have bothered except the chassis, wheels etc. were in near new condition, if the chassis was a bit rough a whole new mower would be more practical. Unfortunately I won't get to use it myself for a while, I had a double hernia repair yesterday and can't do much for a while, so my son and my daughters boyfriend will be doing all the mower pushing.

Graeme

PaulG
10-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Hope the hernia recovery goes well mate.

Was the engine swap pretty straightforward? I've often wondered about this regards bolt hole alignment of motor to chassis, output shaft to blade carrier etc?

SouthCoast Walker
10-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the feed back, I have just ordered a new Briggs 850 series, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Genuine-Briggs-Stratton-6HP-OHV-Lawn-Mower-Engine-/270643155561?pt=AU_Lawnmowers&hash=item3f0396d269 I'll let you know how it goes.

Graeme

Been considering one of these ebay units to repower my Toro SP, wanted to go with a Kwaka but they are in excess of $500 which is to much when you consider you can buy a whole pro scape with Kwaka for about $700. Think this Briggs is the go.

South East Mowing
10-10-2010, 09:35 AM
proberly get shot down for it ...but i would go the briggs from my limited experience the honda revs to low and by uping the revs thay dont like it , ive got the brigs on my masport mulcher and masport utility mower thay both start with in 3 pulls on the cord and run excellent all day everyday and the higher revs fron the briggs even when not under load is better for mulching = orginaly the mulcher did have the honda before it **** its self but now with the briggs = excellent

:FU:FUYou are correct. Tell me in another 5 years. After this wet season when we go back to a normal cycle again:scared, I will just need to run around with my honda revving at half speed anyway

Redeye
10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the honda fans here. The vast majority of complaints regarding mower engines on this forum are for honda powered mowers. Hardly a peep for briggs, let alone kawa. Fair enough when they were a quality japanese product, but the last few years??

ian
10-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the honda fans here. The vast majority of complaints regarding mower engines on this forum are for honda powered mowers. Hardly a peep for briggs, let alone kawa. Fair enough when they were a quality japanese product, but the last few years??

but i would guess the main reason there are so many complaints is because so many people are using them i mean i don't believe i have ever seen anyone on here complain about there ryobi hedge trimmer :) but i don't think this means there good
p.s i agree kawa engines are as good or better than hondas and the new briggs may give them a run for there money

graeme
10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Hope the hernia recovery goes well mate.

Was the engine swap pretty straightforward? I've often wondered about this regards bolt hole alignment of motor to chassis, output shaft to blade carrier etc?

Just a bolt on, same bolt holes, same bolts, the existing blade boss was re-used, the only thing extra was a throttle cable, the old one was just a little too short to fit properly with the different motor.

Anjaryan
25-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Just returned from my local shop and apparently the Masports will no longer be sold with Hondas attached, the two companys have had a falling out???

Only B&S available now so if you want one with a Honda get in quick!