PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes re GXV160

RSM-Gazza
01-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I know its OK to lean the mower on its oil fill side only and preferably the end of the handle raised slightly off the ground with a block of wood under it. So one can hose out under the deck properly.

But do most undo the bolt for an oil change or just remove the dip stick and lean it over. A dealer in casual conversation indicated when they oil changed, the dipstick is removed and the mower slowly tilted over.
What's being done in the field??, understanding what the manual says to do.

I have a free day today unless some calls come in for quotes. So the rideon and two GSV are getting oil changes and general maintenace to all equipment today ie blade sharpening.

Wattle GC
01-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep remove the dipstick and tilt over...You can get a sucker type unit if you have a compressor and suck the oil out..Warm up the engine a little first as this makes the oil warmer and more viscous so it pours out a bit more quickly and easily..

RSM-Gazza
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Yep remove the dipstick and tilt over...You can get a sucker type unit if you have a compressor and suck the oil out..Warm up the engine a little first as this makes the oil warmer and more viscous so it pours out a bit more quickly and easily..

Thanks for that, just returned home to do the three oil changes in the nice sunshine.
Went down to the canopy trimmer people to get two marine boat canopy stretchy loops for the Ride On bonnet to secure it. Can't understanded why they are not OME and fitted. Oh well, thats not quite me topic post.

courty
01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Gary
I seen a manual sump pump that will do the trick in bunnings the other day was about 20 bucks from memory.Most autopart shops should sell them as well.

Andy B
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Gary
I seen a manual sump pump that will do the trick in bunnings the other day was about 20 bucks from memory.Most autopart shops should sell them as well.

From memory the syringe ones are about $20 from indy shop.

courty
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Andy
I never thought of looking there:safety The ones I've seen are a bit bigger than the syringe type,hold a couple of litres from memory.

Bluey
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Don't bugger about with pumps. Just lean it over and drain it out. Quick and simple. Why make an easy job harder?

geoff
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't bugger about with pumps. Just lean it over and drain it out. Quick and simple. Why make an easy job harder?

True Bluey but ride on are hard to tip over :russ: serious the vacuum pumps are wonderful, and they suck all the oil out with lifting a finger..just a few pumps and away u go...cost about 90 bucks for new one and they hold 10 litres...

Bluey
01-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah I agree but didn't think we were talking about a ride on though. I agree with that for major equipment

RSM-Gazza
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM

That's exactly how it was done with hot motors, very easy at that.

But still appreciate feedback and tips.
The pumps may help with my 4 stroke Yamaha Aux O/B motor though.

The 2010 Husky B/S 26hp ride ons have a tall thick flexible oil pipe that is secured to the motor side. You undo the snap in/rotating cap and bend down the hose to below sump level and it drains as easy as. Then just wipe it and put cap back and secure back in it's purpose design mount. Love it.!!

RSM-Gazza
01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I was origionally only refering to the Honda motors.
Buy this is the new B/S oil draining setup. I went and got a quick picture before I return it to the shed.
The arrowed pipe just bends down and oil changing is as easy as that.
It just slips under that power cable which is much easier then the photo looks.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5196.jpg

graeme
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
That's the same motor as on my Toro, must get one of those pipes!! I had a very similar set up on Buell motorcycle that I used to own.
Mine drains ok for a start but when the flow slows down the oil sort of curls around and flows down the sump and drools all over the clutch and drive belt.

glassngrass
02-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Gary - I like your drain pipe very much. What pipe type/size do you use? Garden hose?

RSM-Gazza
02-10-2010, 08:19 AM
David,

It's factory fitted, I had the choice of last yrs run out model with a Kolher. Or the new model with the B/Stratt with easier oil change for same $$$'s. Took the B/S as I liked the oil change arrangement.

ian
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
i tip my 197'sand 196 on there side to change the oil and i brought one of those syringe pump jobs from bunnings[ about $20] for the kawasaki engine works great highly recommend for kawasaki and briggs where the oil filler is at the back

PaulG
08-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Remember not to screw the dipstick back into the filler tube when checking oil level - just sit on top of filler tube.

Engine oil capacity is: 0.65 litres for (HRU196PU, HRU196DPU, HRU216SU, HRU216DSU) & 0.55 litres for (HRU19RPU, HRU19DPU, HRU197PU, HRU197DPU, HRU217DPU)

gcsmow
10-10-2010, 09:49 PM
i tip my 197'sand 196 on there side to change the oil and i brought one of those syringe pump jobs from bunnings[ about $20] for the kawasaki engine works great highly recommend for kawasaki and briggs where the oil filler is at the back

Yep dead right mate. There is a Victa branded oil pump you can get in Bunnings for about $20.00 and I use it for all my oil changes except for the ute and 4 stroke snippers and blowers. I find it easier to suck it out of the push mowers compared to crawling around on the floor tipping it out.