PDA

View Full Version : water in fuel.

Bgs
13-10-2010, 05:16 PM
When I refilled my 4 week old 216 today it died and I could not get it started. shortly after I re filled my honda whippy and the same thing happened,

I took the mower to the shop and they advised me prob water in the fuel and showed me how to clean it out which I have done and the mower works great again,

I have just realised my tired old jerry can is to blame so now have a new one

Could anyone please advise me how to get the water out of the whipper snipper?

Thanks in Advance

geoff1969
13-10-2010, 05:23 PM
When I refilled my 4 week old 216 today it died and I could not get it started. shortly after I re filled my honda whippy and the same thing happened,

I took the mower to the shop and they advised me prob water in the fuel and showed me how to clean it out which I have done and the mower works great again,

Thanks in Advance

proberly just empty out the fuel tank remove spark plug let it dry out spray wd 40 in spark plug hole . replace spark plug refill it with clean fuel and start it ..any water in fuel lines should get pulled through just by pulling on the starter cord ....

Bgs
13-10-2010, 05:24 PM
proberly just empty out the fuel tank remove spark plug let it dry out spray wd 40 in spark plug hole . replace spark plug refill it with clean fuel and start it ..any water in fuel lines should get pulled through just by pulling on the starter cord ....

Thanks Geoff will go give it a go now:wave-hi:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
13-10-2010, 06:56 PM
empty out the tank put new fuel in and a capful of metho. If there is not too much water in the fuel you can just put metho in the currrent fuel.

geoff1969
13-10-2010, 07:45 PM
so is it going Bgs ???? also as tender loving lawn & gardens said with metho will work ...

Bgs
13-10-2010, 09:15 PM
so is it going Bgs ???? also as tender loving lawn & gardens said with metho will work ...

Yes all working thanks geoff, I did as you suggested left it for a hour and was able to start it, It did a massive cough and splutter but is running fine now. Thanks for your help.

geoff1969
13-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes all working thanks geoff, I did as you suggested left it for a hour and was able to start it, It did a massive cough and splutter but is running fine now. Thanks for your help.

excellent and best part is $$$$ saved not taking it to a work shop ..thats the good thing about the forum

gcsmow
13-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Get yourself a filter funnel (Mr Filter) they will separate water from fuel as well as any other bits of crap that might end up in your carby. I filter all my fuel that I put in my hand held gear and I haven't had any dramas at all with fuel filters etc.

I swear by them.

Wattle GC
14-10-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks in Advance

Empty the fuel tank out ,take the spark plug out (clean it) and crank it over a few times..Add fresh fuel with a tablespoon of metholated spirits..The Metho will dilute any other moisture residue in the carby etc..It may sputter and kick for a little while but keep running it on fresh fuel it will clear itself ..

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Get yourself a filter funnel (Mr Filter) they will separate water from fuel as well as any other bits of crap that might end up in your carby. I filter all my fuel that I put in my hand held gear and I haven't had any dramas at all with fuel filters etc.

I swear by them.

Where do you them gcs? I have never heard of a filter funnel.

Bluey
14-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's some info on them
http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks bluey. Do you use one of these filters? Don't know if I would use it for long. Does look good but I'm pretty careful with my jerry cans and always put them back in the tool box when I'm not using them. Cant help but think I would buy one use it for a week and then it would sit at the bottom of my junk.

Bluey
14-10-2010, 09:40 PM
No mate ...first i had seen of them. I am sort of like you. I reckon if you wipe of your fuel cape are and the jerry before you refuel you will reduce the crap what gets into the tank big time. But having said that it takes will power to do it

Bgs
14-10-2010, 09:52 PM
excellent and best part is $$$$ saved not taking it to a work shop ..thats the good thing about the forum

Your not wrong plus the time saved I was back in action in no time Thanks:russ:

not sure I would worry about a filter either, It was my own fault the seal on my jerry can had been dodgy for ages and leaving it on the back of my ute to cop a six day rain deluge was not smart,

new one is in the tool box :D

Wattle GC
15-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Never use everybit of fuel in the can.. Water is heavier than fuel and will sink to the bottom so the water normally gets in you system when you try and squeeze every last ounce out of the fuel can..Leave a little fuel in the bottom of the can and slush it out before your next fresh fuel refill.

For this reason I only use five litre jerrys as its easier to monitor fuel quality..

gcsmow
15-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Where do you them gcs? I have never heard of a filter funnel.

Try this http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/Funnels/MrFunnel.html
In fact if any of you guys out there aren't using them then you should be. That is a bold statement but I can't recommend them strongly enough.

gcsmow
15-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Actually, on second thoughts I won't recommend filter funnels to anyone in my local area. I don't really care if they spend more time at the mower shop and less time in the grass.