PDA

View Full Version : Honda 216 drive problem

bellarinelawns
24-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a 216 that is about 6mths old. It has recently developed a problem with the drive system slipping. when i engage it, it just shudders and I need to push it to get it to engage properly. The right rear tyre is bald, the left tyre has minimal wear. i have adjusted the drive cable and there has been an improvement but I still need to give it a "bit of a push' to engage the drive. I've now only got a few turns left on the cable before i run out of adjustment. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Is there something on the gearbox that I can adjust. will replacing the wheels assist.

Stripes
24-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Just adjust the cable some more and eventually you will have to replace it as they sometimes stretch over time. It may have been overtightened originally which could cause it to stretch a bit early. The wheels wouldnt make any difference. I used to prefer to have slicks on mine as you could turn quickly and not chew the grass up.

bellarinelawns
24-10-2010, 01:11 PM
thanks for the reply. I didn't think the cable could stretch because it is steel cable! How is the cable attached to the gearbox end? is there adjustment there? Given that the mower is only 6 mths old it is surprising that I'm having this problem so soon, or is this normal. ( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR ) does anyone know where i can view a service manual online?

simo
24-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I was going to recomend taking it back under warrenty ,because i`am sure the gear clutches in the gear box have had it ..Start hunting for a new box...or rebuild it is fairly easy if you have some know how..

courty
24-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Would the drive system even be Honda?They're only a Honda motor I think

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
24-10-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/pe/HRU216M1.pdf

Manual online for 216 i found this helpful a few times mate

Stripes
24-10-2010, 05:51 PM
thanks for the reply. I didn't think the cable could stretch because it is steel cable! How is the cable attached to the gearbox end? is there adjustment there? Given that the mower is only 6 mths old it is surprising that I'm having this problem so soon, or is this normal. ( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR ) does anyone know where i can view a service manual online?

Same as a chainsaw chain. They stretch over time which is why they can be adjusted. There is a little nub that attaches on each end of the cable which will also snap overtime.

MowerRob
24-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Could also be a PTO shaft on its way out. this will give the same symptoms, then eventually it will disintegrate. I have had at least 3 let go in 5 years .

SouthCoast Walker
24-10-2010, 10:51 PM
My first Honda mower many years ago had this same problem from new, had it back to the dealer a few times and was told this is just how they are! The crappy thing didn't last long anyway before the rest of it fell apart. It was a very early steel body HRC it cost over $1500 back in the early 90's

Bgs
25-10-2010, 07:56 AM
I have a 216 that is about 6mths old. It has recently developed a problem with the drive system slipping. when i engage it, it just shudders and I need to push it to get it to engage properly. The right rear tyre is bald, the left tyre has minimal wear. i have adjusted the drive cable and there has been an improvement but I still need to give it a "bit of a push' to engage the drive. I've now only got a few turns left on the cable before i run out of adjustment. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Is there something on the gearbox that I can adjust. will replacing the wheels assist.

I had this same problem recently it would not engage then make a hell of a noise and shudder and I would have to really push it to get it going. I adjusted the cable and it worked perfectly again.

not sure how to do it on the AGR machines but on the honda you adjust the nuts on the cable up near the lever.

MowMan
13-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Appreciate the advice here, was mowing a lawn yesterday and all of a sudden when the drive clutch was engaged the mower would shudder before taking off.

I remember this post, looked it up on my iphone. Adjusted the drive cable and away we went :) :)

63impala
13-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Stihl chainsaw chains are pre strtch when you get them witch makes live eazer oragen and other brands you got to be carful..

Same as a chainsaw chain. They stretch over time which is why they can be adjusted. There is a little nub that attaches on each end of the cable which will also snap overtime.

fairdinkum
13-11-2010, 04:44 PM
( Can't go to the local dealer because I bought an Ebay aftermarket Honda mower off AGR )

Therin lies your problem.

Arfa Brayne
15-11-2010, 09:12 AM
The clutch in the gearbox (3 speed) is a metal dog clutch - unless fully engaged it will jump to the next set of dog teeth.
If one rear wheel is worn and the other is not, either you are mowing in little circles or the ratchet in the unworn wheel is not working properly.
If you don't know how to repair your own gear, consider the saving on the internet purchase as a downpayment on taking the mower to a repair workshop.
Good luck.

administrator
15-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda hru216 gearbox breakdown

Bluey
15-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Stihl chainsaw chains are pre strtch when you get them witch makes live eazer oragen and other brands you got to be carful..

If you don't check your chain tension before ,during and after using it you have rocks in your head. It is easy and simple to do. Make it a rule of using the saw. You can feel a slack chain when your using it. Stop and tighten it up. Simple. No brand new chain won't stretchn matter what breed it is.

63impala
17-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Dude remember you bye cheap girl chainsaws and I under stand what you mean But with my 2 Husqvarnas I have that problem with oragan chains but with the stihl no problem remember I only bye the best so whos going to know best plus I probley have more trigger time on chainsaws than you homie......

Bluey
17-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Dude remember you bye cheap girl chainsaws and I under stand what you mean But with my 2 Husqvarnas I have that problem with oragan chains but with the stihl no problem remember I only bye the best so whos going to know best plus I probley have more trigger time on chainsaws than you homie......

Well your Stihls must be different to mine then as the chains on both mine have stretched with use and have needed tensioning. I have 3 saws, 2 Stihls and a Baum I got of ebay and to be truthfull I reckon the Baum has less of a problem with chain stretch than the Stihl's do. I reckon I would take a bet on time on chainsaws. I have a lot more years on you mate and used to live and work in the bush using saws daily some times for weeks on end helping my brother in law with his firewood business so I reckon I would win that one hands down. When you get dry behind the ears you might be able to make a statement like that.

Point is the the statement that a Stihl chain wont stretch is not correct. All chainsaw chains stretch with use including Stihl.

Redeye
17-11-2010, 07:43 PM
got a stihl chain made for my pole-saw last week - it stretched