PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Clutz

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Why is it that I can mow lawns all day and not even scratch myself but try changing a set of blades and without fail I take a chunk of skin off undoing a bolt. Every single time:confused::dean::dean:

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes i often have had the same problem and i have had times where the bolts decide there not coming out.

Andy B
28-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I used to as well, try hitting it with the high pressure hose first and doing it in plenty of light.

Remember righty tighty only works when your looking at the bolt, check your going the right way and don't start me on left handed threads. :P

The Local Gardener
28-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I used to as well, try hitting it with the high pressure hose first and doing it in plenty of light.

Remember righty tighty only works when your looking at the bolt, check your going the right way and don't start me on left handed threads. :P

or lefty lucy...

Hey AB, that brown labrador you were holding was seen again today...:marilyn

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I dont know about you guys but the bolt holding what i call the blad disk it seems to just make the blades spin and it sometimes gets me so cranky i could just throw it in the river. Some days i wonder after the big cost to buy a mower the replacingof blades and oil wether it would be worth just buying cheap $120 mowers flogging the **** out of them and then dumping them.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I dont know about you guys but the bolt holding what i call the blad disk it seems to just make the blades spin and it sometimes gets me so cranky i could just throw it in the river. Some days i wonder after the big cost to buy a mower the replacingof blades and oil wether it would be worth just buying cheap $120 mowers flogging the **** out of them and then dumping them.

TLL I always use a set of vise grips on one of the blades to hold the disk still. Its undoing the blades themselves where I always manage to hurt myself.

tree beard
28-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I use a rattle gun!

so i have to get my injuries in picking up the mower and pinching my fingers when it hits the cluttered work bench :)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
28-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I use a rattle gun!

so i have to get my injuries in picking up the mower and pinching my fingers when it hits the cluttered work bench :)

Ive thought about getting a rattle gun but i was told you need a decent compresser i see ones at supa cheap saying they can operate a rattle gun but been told by people its advertising but doesnt stand up.

What air compesser you got.

Beaj
28-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I use one of these....get the Lithium Ion Battery one. Works a treat

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18v_oneplus/drills_drivers/P230

Brad

MowerRob
28-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Ive thought about getting a rattle gun but i was told you need a decent compresser i see ones at supa cheap saying they can operate a rattle gun but been told by people its advertising but doesnt stand up.

What air compesser you got.

They work fine been using a super cheap compressor with rattle gun for over 5 years same compressor and rattle gun does all the jobs I need it to do

tree beard
28-10-2010, 11:03 PM
yes well my compressor is a small GMC with a bust switch!

It does the job well...dont need a lot of air volume as im only working on mowers and stuff so no big duty cucle for the little guy! I think it was a $99 job had it for years...spent more money on the rattle gun.

and its had a lot of use :)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
28-10-2010, 11:05 PM
They work fine been using a super cheap compressor with rattle gun for over 5 years same compressor and rattle gun does all the jobs I need it to do

I like the sound of this. Cant see my fingers getting a beating with a rattle gun.

fairdinkum
29-10-2010, 04:24 AM
to change the blades i drilled 2 holes in me bench. I line em up with 2 of the smaller holes on the blade carrier and drop 2 old bolts through to hold it in place.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-10-2010, 08:23 AM
to change the blades i drilled 2 holes in me bench. I line em up with 2 of the smaller holes on the blade carrier and drop 2 old bolts through to hold it in place.

Sounds like a idea

Wattle GC
29-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Why is it that I can mow lawns all day and not even scratch myself but try changing a set of blades and without fail I take a chunk of skin off undoing a bolt. Every single time:confused::dean::dean:

Buy yourself a set of cheap mechanic's gloves..This is what I use when changing blades etc..Stops all the nicks and cuts and when you take em off .. Clean hands..

Wattle GC
29-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Small block of wood wedged between the carrier and deck does the same job

SouthCoast Walker
29-10-2010, 09:44 AM
yes well my compressor is a small GMC with a bust switch!

It does the job well...dont need a lot of air volume as im only working on mowers and stuff so no big duty cucle for the little guy! I think it was a $99 job had it for years...spent more money on the rattle gun.

and its had a lot of use :)

Great little compressors those $99 gmc's, been flogging one for years, never missed a beat.

Wombat Garden Services
29-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I just put a block of wood wedged between the blades & the deck to take the blade carrier off, then just put the blade carrier in the vice & just give the socket set a light tap with the hammer to loosen the bolts :noel

Bluey
29-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I just put a block of wood wedged between the blades & the deck to take the blade carrier off, then just put the blade carrier in the vice & just give the socket set a light tap with the hammer to loosen the bolts :noel

Same same here

Bluey
29-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Buy yourself a set of cheap mechanic's gloves..This is what I use when changing blades etc..Stops all the nicks and cuts and when you take em off .. Clean hands..

lol....better stop and have a latte and a chest wax at the same time. Nothing wrong with dirty hands;frosty;

Wattle GC
29-10-2010, 02:43 PM
lol....better stop and have a latte and a chest wax at the same time. Nothing wrong with dirty hands;frosty;

Your right.. matches the southern cross sticker on the back of ute

Andy B
29-10-2010, 03:06 PM
or lefty lucy...

Hey AB, that brown labrador you were holding was seen again today...:marilyn

Lefty lucy, it was late last night I couldn't remember that. :)

I was sitting at a set of lights yesterday and nearly missed the change to green because of a staffy's keeper :marilyn waiting outside a take away shop. :D

greencut
29-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm liking the rattle gun idea after smashing myself in the nose with a large torque wrench that slipped yesterday while changing the ZTR blades. I dont want to hear "Daddy, why are you crying?" again.

courty
29-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm liking the rattle gun idea after smashing myself in the nose with a large torque wrench that slipped yesterday while changing the ZTR blades. I dont want to hear "Daddy, why are you crying?" again.

Hahaha,a little off topic but years ago I was winching boat on to trailer going hell for leather when the winch handle came away from the winch and clocked me under the jaw. I had a little sit down on the ramp for a while to gain my composure

Fred's mowing
29-10-2010, 06:56 PM
12V rattle gun from a 4x4 shop, about $80.
Also the carrier has a small hole u can poke a screwdriver through whilst undoing the bolt.
Cheers Dean.

gcsmow
30-10-2010, 09:37 PM
My dad and brother are mechanics and I have learnt a lot off them over the years.

They say "Make sure the socket or spanner is sitting on the nut or bolt properly before you go applying force to it, if it's not sitting right it will slip and you will rip the corners off the hexagon and take bark off your hands." Also push the spanner with the heel of your hand and keep your palm open, if you clench your fist and it slips you will bust your knuckles on something. The same as undoing or tightening a screw with a screwdriver, you need to put more force in to pushing down on the screw than turning the screw.

And yes, rattle gun is the way to take off a blade disc. Single hexagon socket is best. Get yourself some Anti-seize and once you get it off put anti-seize on the thread and it will be a hell of a lot easier to get it off next time. I swear by anti-seize and I use it everywhere, one tin will last you for years.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
31-10-2010, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=gcsmow;56599] Also push the spanner with the heel of your hand and keep your palm open, if you clench your fist and it slips you will bust your knuckles on something. QUOTE]

It is good advice gcs The only reason I don't use the open palm is the way I'm holding the blade plate. Definitely need to start putting it in a clamp or vice

geoff1969
31-10-2010, 12:43 PM
if you all ready have a air compresor i find the air ratchet is better just lift up back flap of mower place a piece wood between handles and flap and use air ratchet to change blades 4 blades on honda done in about 3 minutes and no need to keep removing blade carrier . also there nothing on a mower the air ratchet cant do much more versatile for working in confined space.
also remember wether its rattle gun or air ratchet make sure you use the correct sockets high tensile ones as the cheap no name sockets can explode when used on air guns etc