PDA

View Full Version : Skill and Techniques.

Andy B
29-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Looks like we lost the thread I started with this same title last week when we lost 4 days worth.

Anyway I was asking about techniques to cut round patches of cooch with wooden edges and best ways to handle it with out throwing too much grass into the surrounding garden beds.

Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I was talking about after I did them today. It's looking heaps better after some seasol, it was all dead and brown 6 weeks ago. But I probably could of done with a brand new set of blades. (:scared)

You'll see one of them has big brown patches in it and I believe they are the result of dog urine. How would you correct them? And I open myself up to judging here how would you cut them better?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinion.

Wattle GC
29-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Looks like we lost the thread I started with this same title last week when we lost 4 days worth.

Anyway I was asking about techniques to cut round patches of cooch with wooden edges and best ways to handle it with out throwing too much grass into the surrounding garden beds.

Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I was talking about after I did them today. It's looking heaps better after some seasol, it was all dead and brown 6 weeks ago. But I probably could of done with a brand new set of blades. (:scared)

You'll see one of them has big brown patches in it and I believe they are the result of dog urine. How would you correct them? And I open myself up to judging here how would you cut them better?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinion.

Looks ok to me.. You done a good job..To fix the amonia patches from the dog the most important thing is to fix the dog.This generally happens when dogs are on heat or dont drink enough water..There is diffrent pet products on the market to add to the dogs water which will fix the problem...there is one called "Dog Rocks" which are small rock type crystals you add to the dogs water bowl.

As far as the grass goes you can just do the usual airate feed etc to get the grass back but if there is a weding there tomorrow you will have to relace the patches with new turf..

Mick
29-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Who in there right mind would put a patch of lawn in the middle of a garden like that?
Crazy!

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Who in there right mind would put a patch of lawn in the middle of a garden like that?
Crazy!

Yeah its a bit strange isnt it.

Wattle GC
29-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Yea its a pain.. I had one similar with a moat / fish pond around it and a dirty big pot in the middle of the lawn Island.. I had to ramp the mower over the pond.. Dam millionars yards can be a pain..

Bluey
29-10-2010, 04:56 PM
These are becoming a bit more prolific. Normally found on house and land packages where they throw in a token bit of lawn and a scrabby arse garden. I see these a lot in the newer suburbs over here and they are a real pain to mow. As I said earlier do them anticlockwise and at a lower revs on your whippy when edging and do it horizontally so that it throws the clippings back into the lawn. You have to watch these as the lawn can easily jump the border and run into the garden and take root there. They normally only have a token amount of mulch on them.

Cheap and nasty housing where the garden is only meant to look good for a couple of months. They should make them do it properly. It is all designed to save the builder money and the first home buyer hasn't got a clue because it looks all nice and pretty and they have never owned a house before.

I see this a lot over here with Devine homes and Scott Salisbury homes. I have even seen some with no border between the lawn and the garden. Obviously they have a landscaper doing all thier homes and he is making a killing for crap work.

PaulG
29-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Are you sure those patches are dog-induced Andy? They look a little large to me to be from dog-pee. No grubs there is there?

Stevo56
29-10-2010, 07:13 PM
First things first. Ask the owner if that's where the dog go's pee-pee. Fair chance it is pee. If not check for grubs. I laid some turf a month ago and the owners let the dog on it with almost the same result. Luckily I got some off cuts of the same turf and replaced the patches. Don't think you could fix it any other way for an instand result.

danz
29-10-2010, 07:43 PM
God what a silly set up, mate i reckon you have mowed it fine looking at the pics hmm it could be human piss do they have a bbq or outdoor setting close by where they hit the cans? i think your right bluey i bet that landscaper is making a killing... welcome to the forum stevo by the way hey how do you guys get the mower to this silly patch im hoping they have a path or?